Random Thoughts That Don't Warrant Full Threads #2

I enjoy looking at rankings of QBs historically, I find it helps me appreciate what we've currently got with Brady. This was funny though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLeYG4n62-I

So first, I want to point out that collectively, they still rated Brady as the GOAT, I don't know if they realized it or not. After all, here are there rankings:

Brady (7 points total, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd)

Montana (10 points, 3rd, 3rd, and 4th)
Elway (11 points, 1st, 4th and unranked)
Manning (12 points, 1st, 5th, and unranked)
Marino (12 points, 1st, 5th, and unranked)
Rodgers (14 points, 2nd, unranked and unranked)
Unitas (16 points, 4th, unranked, and unranked)
Kelly (17 points (5th, unranked, and unranked)

So Montana was consistently lower than Brady, and the homer picks they thrown on top to make Brady 2nd don't even appear in everyone's top 5. I know why that is (no matter how you judge quarterbacks, by literally every metric available, Brady is at worst a top 3 quarterback, and is unique in that) but the main thing that made me LOL and inspired this post is Elway being ranked 1st. So here's a quick Elway rant.

Everyone always says how Elway had such a "great arm". Well, they also say that about Aaron Rodgers, who has the highest passer rating of all time. Elway, on the other hand, had a passer rating of 79.7, and had multiple seasons with a passer rating below 70. He never led the league in passer rating, and sits at 73rd all time, just below Dan Fouts and 20 spots below the iconic Neil O'Donnel.

Now sure, it was a different era, with different standards. It's only expected in today's baby soft NFL the passer ratings would be astronomically high, so even though he had a passer rating sub 80, it's ok, as long as there wasn't a contemporary who dramatically outperformed him, someone like a Steve Young who played nearly identical career years and put up a passer rating of 96.8, 6th highest in league history to this day.

Well ok so statistically, the performances he put on the field were not dramatically superior to his contemporaries, with an unimpressive 56% completion rate, but he went to 5 Super Bowls. Sure, he also missed the playoffs 6 times, and had 4 1 and done seasons when he actually made it there, but when he got hot, he really got hot... right?

Wait, he's one of the 10 worst passer ratings ever seen in the Super Bowl? His 2nd Super Bowl he put up a passer rating of 36.8 as his team got blown out 42-10, and he somehow one upped that with his third Super Bowl, where he posted a whopping 19.4 Passer Rating en route to a blowout loss 55-10, the biggest blowout in Super Bowl History?

Eh, it's only the end people remember, and he went out on top, winning two back to back Super Bowls in dramatic fashion, posting passer ratings of 99.2 and... 51.9... one of the worst performances in history by a winning QB, lower than that posted by the ghost of Manning.

Tell me again, in what universe is John Elway the best QB of all time? By the way, interestingly both he and Steve Young played in 22 playoff games and garnered a 14-8 record, with Steve Young posting a 134.8 passer rating in the Super Bowl he won. And Steve Young isn't even a top 5 QB all time, by pretty much anyone's measure. I like the justification used by the guy, too- "He could dominate in any era of football". Well, he didn't dominate His Own era, so I'm not sure why I'm supposed to believe he'd be able to handle the modern NFL, or Otto Graham's days (who outplayed him despite playing decades earlier).

Anyway, /rant. I just can't help myself. Elway is the most overrated QB of all time. If you have him at #1, I have to assume you just don't know football, which is obviously true of these clowns, and was already apparent a long time ago. This is just further affirmation of that.

Elway was an above average forward pass QB until Shanahan. He was scrappy as hell and clutch as anyone. In many ways he was the anti-Kelly. He would take teams who had no business being there to the AFCCG and Super Bowl and they would only get to Super Bowls because of his play.

Elway had 199 TDs and 177 picks in 12 years before Shanahan. He did kick butt in that offense though for the last 4 years.

Elway had 31 4th quarter comeback and 40 game winning drives ( 4 and 6 in the playoffs)
Brady has 34 4th quarter comebacks and 42 game winning drives (8 and 11 in the playoffs)
Not only is Brady better than Elway. He is also better than Elway at what ignorant people think Elway was best at.
Brady has as many 4th quarter comebacks in SUPER BOWLS as Elway has in the playoffs.

Elway's first 14 years in the NFL were played in the B league that lost 14 of 14 Super Bowls. He faced the Bears, Giants, Eagles, 49ers, Cowboys, and DC once every 3 years while they beat the hell out of each other.

Your turn, Dan!
MV5BZGIzNjFkNzAtMmEyZS00YWJhLTk5OTctMzRhYWI4YmEwNDQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Marino really had 3 careers.

1 - The short lived passing legend 1983-1987
He had 1984 which belongs up there with Brady '07, Manning '04, ManninHGH '13, and Rodgers '11
He went 48-21 while throwing for just short of 20k yards 168 TDs and 80 picks.
His 94.1 rating in the mid '80s was like Rodgers being over 100 now.

2 - The above average stat compiler with flashes of brilliance
From 1988 through 1999 his statistics were like Carson Palmer without 2005.
He went 99-72 with 252 TDs and 172 picks with an 83 rating
A guy who spent 2/3rds of his career throwing like Carson Palmer (minus 1 of his 2 best seasons) is not the greatest ever.

3 - His playoff career
This is defined by failure
The biggest game of his career he was dreadful. Super Bowl XIX
  • Leading 10-7 going into the 2nd quarter he went 3 and out 3 times in a row and only managed a FG drive. A 10-7 lead turned in to trailing 28-16.
  • The first 4 drives of the 2nd half were a pair of 3 and outs and a pair of interceptions.
  • 38-16 and game over.

The next year he was the only QB to beat the '85 Bears. Then he was one game from returning to the Super Bowl to face that D again and he fell on his face at home vs the Patriots.

The early '90s were 2 bad playoff games vs the Bills (4 TDs and 4 picks combined)
He got one more shot at the Bills in 1995 and he threw 3 picks.

In 1994 the Dolphins were leading the Chargers 21-6 at halftime of the divisional round and Marino did not get them another point. They lost 22-21.
-*- It was a very odd 3rd quarter where SD moved the ball to the 1 and failed on 4th down. Parmalee was tackled for a safety on 1st down and then SD drove again until there was about 2:30 left in the 3rd quarter. 21-15

His last 3 knockouts he led his team to 3, 3, and 7 points. *cough 62-7*

A guy who is 8-10 in the playoffs with 32 TDs 24 picks and a 77.1 rating is not special, let alone the greatest.
A QB who was 1-5 against his own division in the playoffs does not even belong in any serious discussion of great QBs.
3 of those 5 teams that beat him went on to lose Super Bowls by a combined score of 118-46 (average 24 point loss)
His own Super Bowl was a 22 point loss

He was a 5 year wonder and an 11 year JAG in a minor league conference.

Kelly takes 1 line to destroy.

The guy had 6 TDs and 15 picks in 9 combined AFCCG and Super Bowl games. (21 TDs 28 picks in the playoffs)

Anyone who considers him the 5th best QB to ever play belongs in an insane asylum.

His ratings in those 9 final four games:
  • 35.1 (Boomer says thanks)
  • 126.6 (Al Davis rolls over in his grave)
  • 81.5 (Norwood wishes that 47 yarder was a 39 yard try)
  • 31.6 (Elway can't win every AFCCG)
  • 44.8 (Where's Thermal's helmet?)
  • 71.0 (Reich got him here with a 115.9 and 118.0 rating in 2 playoff games)
  • 58.9 (you can do a lot of damage with only 7 pass attempts)
  • 79.2 (Thermal ran for 26 more yards and 3 more TDs than Kelly put up while the D murdered Montana and Krieg)
  • 67.1 (Dallas again, ugh)

Bonus Trivia: Kelly vs Cunningham

From 1987 through 1990, Randall Cunningham was a slightly better PASSER than Jim Kelly (before you even consider rushing)
Hard to compare 1991 or 1993 since Cunningham missed 27 of 32 games but I think it holds up if you add 1992 and 1994 to the comparison.

Kelly had 2 outstanding years in 1990 and 1991. Outside of that he was an 80 rated passer over the other 9 seasons.
Sounds like Cunningham without 1990 and 1998.

Kelly had a Hall of Fame team and a Hall of Fame coach and he was Donovan McNabb to them all.
- Take a look at what Reich did in the playoffs with the same team.

A guy who is at least in close competition statistically to Randall Cunningham is not a top 20 QB of all time.

Joe Montana topped 30 TDs once.
He had 31 in 1987 and 5 of those were as a scab in strike games.
Young had 10 TDs and 0 picks in 69 attempts as his backup (only playing real games)
This was Jerry Rice's 22 TDs in 12 real games season.

Montana's toughest challenge was facing the Belichick Giants D in the playoffs.
He went 0-3 with 1 TD and 3 picks.
He scored 3, 3, and 13 points.
Comparing Belichick to any other NFL coach is like watching Katie Ledecky swim.

The "Never lost a Super Bowl" angle is the logic of a child.
The idea of every season is to win the Super Bowl.
If you lose in the playoffs that is worse than losing in the Super Bowl.

Brady passed Montana when he beat Seattle to win his 4th. (playing in his 6th)
He left him in the dust with the greatest QB game ever played vs Atlanta.
He followed that up with a 500 yard SB performance to cap an 8 TD 0 pick playoff run.

Montana is probably 2 by a wide margin but the margin is just as wide between Brady at 1 and Montana at 2.

Brady has given his team the lead in the 4th quarter in 8 of 8 Super Bowls.
  • 4 comebacks
  • 3 leads surrendered by the D
  • 1 breaking the 14-14 tie vs Philly in 2004

What Joe Cool did in the 1988 and 1989 playoffs should always be remembered as the peak of his profession (in the same way that Terrell Davis 1998 and 1999 holds for RBs)
Brady can match him close enough with 2007, 2010, and 2016 regular seasons as well as well as the 2014 and 2016 playoffs.

Brady has gone 37-6 (8-2) 130 TDs and 26 picks and 2 SB MVPs since the pigs on the Colts sideline cried about footballs air pressure.
He did this while being attacked, and smeared, and lied about by his own Commissioner.
Goodell committed actual documented crimes in the name of making Brady look bad (100% without a doubt proven perjury)
No professional athlete has ever been as great as Brady over those 43 games*

* I am not counting the 2 Belichick isn't trying games at the end of 2015. Add them in if you like as 0-2 with 1 TD and 1 pick.

Went to the mountains 4 wheeling over the weekend... took 1 hour to get there...had a blast.
Went sailing yesterday in 70 degree weather, Ran into a pod of dolphins... and a milatary exercise. lol.

Yet, at what point does Caltaxnia become unbearable?

Went to the mountains 4 wheeling over the weekend... took 1 hour to get there...had a blast.
Went sailing yesterday in 70 degree weather, Ran into a pod of dolphins... and a milatary exercise. lol.

Yet, at what point does Caltaxnia become unbearable?

When you move to Paradise?

Was traveling today and while being process by the TSA agent I ask the young woman how one would say her name. Her last name looked unpronouceable. She says "oh yea that is an unusual name. I am Samoan.

Me, " Do you ever watch football?"

Her, Oh yea, All Samoans LOVE football.

:toast:

Was traveling today and while being process by the TSA agent I ask the young woman how one would say her name. Her last name looked unpronouceable. She says "oh yea that is an unusual name. I am Samoan.

Me, " Do you ever watch football?"

Her, Oh yea, All Samoans LOVE football.

:toast:

Did she frisk you?

How come I keep getting getting friend requests on FB from local police departments?

Damn. I may have to rethink my life choices.

Back