REd Zone problems

Oh I get that. Like I said, its all relative. Also, who's standards? Yours? Before BB and Brady the standards here were, hey maybe our QB can not get sacked 50 times a year.

No, before Brady, we had a $100 million QB, and I was expecting a championship. When Bledsoe threw a dumb pick, people had no trouble saying he threw a dumb pick. When Brady does it, it's everyone else's fault but the guy who threw the dumb pick.

There are people who blame Brandon LaFell for interceptions, and do it without a hint of irony.

You know, the Patriots weren't always bad. That's just the narrative the younger generation has grown up with. They were far from perennial contenders, and had some terrible years - but the teams in the mid 70s and mid 80s were pretty good, and Bledsoe made the playoffs 4 times. Since Kraft bought the team 22 years ago, they've only had 3 losing seasons. 3.

In the last 5 years alone, the Jets have had 2, the Bills have had 3 (this year still pending) and Miami has had 2 (this year pending, and two 8-8 seasons)

The Patriots were here before Brady and Belichick, and they will be here after Brady and Belichick.

New England sports fans expects championships, or at the very least contending for them. That's every year. In Charlotte, they get fired up over regular season wins. In Indianapolis, they have "Finalist" banners.

That's the difference.

But the larger point is - if you can't criticize Brady when he makes a dumb mistake, again, what are we even doing here?

New England is a pro sports area exclusively. College sports has very little presence here. So the 'rah rah sis boom bah' shit doesn't really go over well.

Can you explain this middie thing to me please? I guess I am not getting it. If you like Brady, then you are a middie? I need some origin of this word please.
I will tell you but this is the last we speak of that name (shivers up my spine).....

Middie was an evil troll who loved a magical man named Brady far beyond the typical fan love. Rumors are the New England Patriots had 3 internet detectives watching the planet when Midgar8784 (middie's real screen name) posted here doing nothing but following his every move to make sure he did not Cousin Eddy before a big game. It is also been rumored he had thousands in reconstructive surgery to change his appearance to look like Brady, much like the Barbie Girls who alter their looks to resemble the iconic doll.

Actually he was a Pats fan who defended Tom with a blind homerism few can muster.

You know, the Patriots weren't always bad. That's just the narrative the younger generation has grown up with. They were far from perennial contenders, and had some terrible years - but the teams in the mid 70s and mid 80s were pretty good, and Bledsoe made the playoffs 4 times. Since Kraft bought the team 22 years ago, they've only had 3 losing seasons. 3.

The legacy of the pre Brady/BB Pats was the moderate success with embarrassing lows in between. Those Fairbanks and Berry teams left us with "what might have been" feelings.

In between, we can put the '81, '90 and '92 Pats among some of the worst all-time. I would put the '90 team below the 0-16 Lions. Those are the teams that people remember.

No, before Brady, we had a $100 million QB, and I was expecting a championship. When Bledsoe threw a dumb pick, people had no trouble saying he threw a dumb pick. When Brady does it, it's everyone else's fault but the guy who threw the dumb pick.

There are people who blame Brandon LaFell for interceptions, and do it without a hint of irony.

In the last 5 years alone, the Jets have had 2, the Bills have had 3 (this year still pending) and Miami has had 2 (this year pending, and two 8-8 seasons)

The Patriots were here before Brady and Belichick, and they will be here after Brady and Belichick.

New England sports fans expects championships, or at the very least contending for them. That's every year. In Charlotte, they get fired up over regular season wins. In Indianapolis, they have "Finalist" banners.

That's the difference.

But the larger point is - if you can't criticize Brady when he makes a dumb mistake, again, what are we even doing here?

New England is a pro sports area exclusively. College sports has very little presence here. So the 'rah rah sis boom bah' shit doesn't really go over well.

Perspective and reason. Nice. :thumb:

Cheers

The legacy of the pre Brady/BB Pats was the moderate success with embarrassing lows in between. Those Fairbanks and Berry teams left us with "what might have been" feelings.

In between, we can put the '81, '90 and '92 Pats among some of the worst all-time. I would put the '90 team below the 0-16 Lions. Those are the teams that people remember.

I would put them below the 0-16 Lions as well. I think this year's Patriots outscored the 90 team for the season in like, Week 5.

Also, I think people forget just how bad than 92 team was (Again, just like 1990 though, one of their two wins was against Indianapolis). Zolak was legit their best QB. It was sort of like this, but for the whole season:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Tie0tz7jGDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And like this, except for 8-16, 2-14:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PnIaqAsnSxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"How did we ever win 2?" "It's a miracle"

The good news was, at least we didn't have to watch that crap in person (unless you were lucky enough to have some tickets left on your windshield, and joined 17,000 of your closest friends on gameday).

I would put them below the 0-16 Lions as well. I think this year's Patriots outscored the 90 team for the season in like, Week 5.

Also, I think people forget just how bad than 92 team was (Again, just like 1990 though, one of their two wins was against Indianapolis). Zolak was legit their best QB. It was sort of like this, but for the whole season:

:
:

The good news was, at least we didn't have to watch that crap in person (unless you were lucky enough to have some tickets left on your windshield, and joined 17,000 of your closest friends on gameday).

My first year with season tickets was '92. I went to every game :shrug:

My first year with season tickets was '92. I went to every game :shrug:

God bless you, man. You deserve every win these days. I only went to two of them, and the 2nd time was not with my dad, so I illegally got hammered the whole time (That was the 6-0 barnburner loss to the Colts, when it might as well have been 60-0).

That was the first year of the $99 season ticket promotion right? Damn near got a pair for myself, until I went to that 2nd game. Then I was like, "am I really going to truck up here every Sunday from the Cape to sit in traffic?"

At the time though, it was a real tossup despite how bad they were, because it was the only way to actually see the team at home.

God bless you, man. You deserve every win these days. I only went to two of them, and the 2nd time was not with my dad, so I illegally got hammered the whole time (That was the 6-0 barnburner loss to the Colts, when it might as well have been 60-0).

That was the first year of the $99 season ticket promotion right? Damn near got a pair for myself, until I went to that 2nd game. Then I was like, "am I really going to truck up here every Sunday from the Cape to sit in traffic?"

At the time though, it was a real tossup despite how bad they were, because it was the only way to actually see the team at home.

I'm one of those oddballs that wore Pats gear no matter how bad they were. It's always been in my blood. The tickets were a Father's Day gift from the wife and kids. My tickets were under the press box on the 45 yard line. The total cost for 2 tickets was $540. That's just a bit more than the cost for a single game now.

I'm not sure I would have renewed, except Parcells was hired before I had to decide, so it became a no-brainer. It also helped that I lived (and still do) just 25 minutes from the stadium.

This^. There's some serious paid dues.

Cheers, BostonTim

Back