Remember When.....

He never sucked in my book. He had some bad plays, but he kept Brady upright and untouched for the most part. I loved the guy.

He never sucked in my book. He had some bad plays, but he kept Brady upright and untouched for the most part. I loved the guy.

Oh I agree, he was not Ogden but man he played all the time, even when suffering from Crohn's Disease. And more often than not he won (except that freaking Fin Taylor) the battle.

Seems the prototype Patriots lineman has evolved from the 6-4 310 left tackle who was moved to a new position along the line to I don't know what.

Yeah, I always thought that the people dissing Matt Light were crazy. He protected Tom and was a damned good lineman. I also like his sense of humor! :clap:

Matt Light sucked??!!

Yeah those were the days

:coffee:

It's fair to say I'm nostalgic for the days of Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal and Kaczur. They Dodd have some bad days, but most were good. The question is how much coaching is the problem with the current line, although the strong evidence suggests coaching was the problem, rather than talent or potential.

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Yeah, I always thought that the people dissing Matt Light were crazy. He protected Tom and was a damned good lineman. I also like his sense of humor! :clap:

Guilty as charged. It's fair to say I was wrong.

When the game started I told my kids I would use Denver's move and take the knees out of the two Ends, make them worry about it happening. That I would have Gronk blast and end in motion. My buddy Matt said the same thing and gave some insight into the mindset of the O-Line. He said they did not master the silent count nor have enough options to keep it from being jumped, that Scar would work them until it was right while implying Googs didn't. I assume Volmer is his confidant.

Oh I agree, he was not Ogden but man he played all the time, even when suffering from Crohn's Disease. And more often than not he won (except that freaking Fin Taylor) the battle.

Seems the prototype Patriots lineman has evolved from the 6-4 310 left tackle who was moved to a new position along the line to I don't know what.

Yeah, Taylor did pwn him

Remember when we traded Logan mankins to the bucs for some guy named Tim wright than sent him back?

Good times..............

I remember trading Mankins to TB for Wright and a 4th rounder (Trey Flowers). Cleared up some cap space (about 6 mil) and won a super bowl. I'm good.

When the game started I told my kids I would use Denver's move and take the knees out of the two Ends, make them worry about it happening. That I would have Gronk blast and end in motion. My buddy Matt said the same thing and gave some insight into the mindset of the O-Line. He said they did not master the silent count nor have enough options to keep it from being jumped, that Scar would work them until it was right while implying Googs didn't. I assume Volmer is his confidant.

Is it possible that BB wasn't comfortable enough with the guys on the OL to institute a silent snap count (let alone 5 as Light said they used in the past.)?

Also, if you hadn't used one all year, is the AFC Championship game the time to bring it in? (Not even sure if they used one at all this year)

Is it possible that BB wasn't comfortable enough with the guys on the OL to institute a silent snap count (let alone 5 as Light said they used in the past.)?

Also, if you hadn't used one all year, is the AFC Championship game the time to bring it in? (Not even sure if they used one at all this year)

It was not only a silent count, for some unknown reason it appears the game plan was to use up the clock forcing the snap as the clock expired. So the defense could watch the play clock and estimate the snap.

And in Denver you need that silent snap, I believe Scar would have worked it into them and Googs did but not enough. The line needs to be able understand this, learn this.

It was not only a silent count, for some unknown reason it appears the game plan was to use up the clock forcing the snap as the clock expired. So the defense could watch the play clock and estimate the snap.

And in Denver you need that silent snap, I believe Scar would have worked it into them and Googs did but not enough. The line needs to be able understand this, learn this.

Light's comments made sense to me but who knows if he's right about that.
Here are some more coaching 'gaffs' from previous PO games for us to ponder. From FO. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/scramble/2016/scramble-ball-2015-all-keep-choppin-wood-team

For a coach universally acknowledged to be unusually good at his craft, Bill Belichick has made a fairly shocking number of big mistakes that have contributed to Patriots' playoff losses. We have four different times in the last decade where Belichick made unambiguous errors that derailed Patriots teams with very realistic Super Bowl chances. Imagine the criticism Andy Reid would have gotten for these kinds of mistakes.

1) 2006 AFC Championship Game: Belichick fails to call his timeouts as the Colts get close to scoring the go-ahead touchdown. The Patriots could have gotten the ball back with just about the right amount of time to have a realistic shot at the touchdown to win it. Instead, the Patriots ended up in a desperation scenario. They lose 38-34, with Rex Grossman waiting in the Super Bowl.
2) 2007 Super Bowl: Belichick goes for it on fourth-and-13 from the Giants' 31-yard line. A successful field goal attempt from second-year kicker Stephen Gostkowski would have put the Patriots up seven halfway through the third quarter. The Patriots also slowed the pace down rather than snapping quickly, helping to limit them to just nine offensive drives for the game. The Giants' pass rush contributed, but the Patriots' pace was poorly suited to a game where they were a heavy favorite.
3) 2010 AFC Divisional Game: Belichick sits Wes Welker for the first series for being legitimately funny with foot innuendos. Vince Lombardi might have fined him, but it seems unlikely he would have been so tone deaf as to deflate his team with a benching like that. And the Patriots played very flat. Belichick also called off the dogs, blitzing almost never against a quarterback who couldn't handle the blitz. Rex Ryan outcoached him by changing his blitz-happy strategy to adapt to the Patriots. Maybe Belichick's worst set of mistakes, as he entered the playoffs with a team that was far and away the best in the league, even moreso than 2007 given the late-season trends.
4) 2015 AFC Championship Game: Not deferring was strange, like the Welker benching. But the bigger mistake happened in Miami. Home field is worth so much that Brady needed to play. He also needed to throw more than five times in the first half. You can even argue that the injuries on one level made it more imperative that the Patriots grabbed home field. Their margin for error was smaller than last year, given the injury uncertainty. Shooting for home field was the risky play at the right time. If things had worked out, the Patriots might have squeezed through those first two games and then had two weeks to rest up for the Super Bowl.

I trust Light more than Football Outsiders to know the Patriots Locker room culture and coaching tendencies.

disagree about the Wes Welker, that is on the player not the Coach IF the coach said to the team to not address the foot issue

in 2006, calling no timeout is a bad thing but in 2014 super bowl it is a smart play because it caused chaos for the Seahawks who ran the dumbest play ever (until the Indy fake punt).

as for the Miami game, sure several players played but that was a Sit='m game trying to get healthy for the playoffs, who knows if they play everyone and that 2 weeks is not enough time to heal, do they lose to Pittsburgh instead of beating KC?

SB I have no comment on- too painful to relive.

just addressing three of the points and how if it works it is a brilliant move, if not it is a dumb coaching decision.

I was pretty astonished with Light's comments (also I never thought he sucked...NEVER).
And not much will ever make me long for Kaczur. :doh:

I recall BB or someone with the Pats saying this year (think I heard it on an early season broadcast or possibly preseason) that this OL had a lot more talent than last year's version.

When you see the performance vs talent then see the OL coach getting fired, that suggests that the staff felt the talent was for the most part there.

I don't think I saw an article with Light's comments posted ( I didn't search) so here's one.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2016/01/patriots_offensive_line_matt_l.html

Former New England Patriots tackle Matt Light: AFC championship game was lost because of snap count

Kevin Duffy | krduffy@masslive.com By Kevin Duffy | krduffy@masslive.com

on January 29, 2016 at 12:26 PM, updated January 29, 2016 at 12:29 PM

It's no secret that offensive line play cost the New England Patriots a berth in Super Bowl 50 and a chance to repeat as world champs.

During a radio interview with WAAF in Boston, former Pats left tackle Matt Light provided some insight into why that was the case.

Light had lots to say on the subject, placing most of the blame on the Patriots' inability to effectively execute a silent snap count, which allowed Denver's edge players to get excellent jumps. He called it "an abomination."

"It was tough, tough for everybody to watch," Light told WAAF. "I haven't heard one person who didn't want to discuss what was the obvious -- the offensive line issues -- with me. And, you know, look, (Denver) is a horrible place to go play, especially in that circumstance, right? You've got the best defense in the league, you're in their place and you don't practice a snap count? It blows my mind that, really, the game was lost because of a snap count -- in my opinion."

Light was asked if this was a sign of overconfidence from Bill Belichick.

"No, I've never seen Bill overconfident. I mean, look, anything I've heard the whole time I played there -- even when we went 18-0 -- was, 'Hey, I know you guys won the game 45-0, but if we do this, this and this again, we're going to get killed.' It's like, really? Not an 'atta boy?'"

Light continued: "It's not overconfidence. It's amazing how quickly things are forgotten. You take a guy like Dante Scarnecchia, who never let off the pedal for an instant and always drilled into us that it's got to be better and we've got practice this. And, yeah, Dante, we get it. But (the 2015 team) didn't get it. I don't think the atmosphere in that offensive line room is the same without a guy like Dante. I don't think that they practiced their snap count at all, really, to any degree. We went into a game being able to snap silent count five different ways. Not two. Five. And in that game, I watched them on the snap count and I was blown away. You're handcuffing your tackles, and that's what happens when you don't effectively run a silent snap count. And it was terrible to watch."

"I'll take it another step," Light added. "The snap count, in my opinion, was an abomination. I mean, it was the worst thing you could do to that front five. But the fact that they didn't throw any three-steps and cut the legs out from the defenders early in that game is mind-boggling to me. That would have been the first thing that I fought for...Give me at least one three-step because I need to make this guy fear a little bit of his up the field pass rush by me taking his legs out from underneath him. Or, hey, let's bring Gronk from the outside and let's crack one of these defensive ends, like he did with (former Bills defensive end) Aaron Schobel and knocked him into another galaxy and literally spun his helmet off his head, and the guy literally didn't even want to take two steps upfield at that point. So, they didn't give (Denver) anything to think about. They didn't have to keep them honest in any way throughout that whole gameplan, and then the snap count obviously was terrible. It wasn't the talent on the field. They could have beat that team with a little bit more preparation and doing things a little better and it didn't happen."

Light added that he wasn't "trying to be disrespectful" with his comments.

"What the coaches do, what Josh McDaniels does, what all the guys do on that staff -- offense and defense -- is incredible," Light said. "That one slipped away, and I think they're probably having the same kind of conversations now looking back on the film and studying it. And they'll learn a lot from it like they do from anything, but from the fan perspective, which I am now, it was very difficult."

Listen to the full Matt Light interview here.

Back