Rookie Impressions

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
By the numbers we had 9 rookies make the 53-man roster -- of which 7 were draft picks and 2 UDFAs.

In addition, 7th round pick Darryl Roberts was placed on IR along with UDFA A.J. Derby.

A few thoughts on what I've noticed so far:

* Malcom Brown -- Didn't set the world on fire in preseason, but appears to have good movement skills and can hold up to double teams. His gap management is going to need improvement, but I think he shows awareness of plays developing in front of him and will give up his body for the linebackers. He would appear to have pocket-collapsing potential with quickness and strength, but hasn't been particularly effective in this area so far.

* Jordan Richards -- a surprise 2nd round pick who is supposed to be an unsually smart player, Richards showed me that he is a solid tackler who breaks down efficiently and wraps up. He doesn't have great height but plays strong. In general, he did look smart in terms of diagnosing his run fits quickly and nobody picked on him in the passing game the way that you see teams go after Chung. Fairly impressive.

* Tre Jackson -- Played the bulk of the snaps at RG and looks like he knows what he is doing. I haven't seen any dominant-looking skills from him in terms of power or quickness, but his technique allowed him to get valuable reps while he gets accustomed to this level. He looked OK. A bit grabby in pass-blocking, but that's nothing unusual.

* Shaq Mason -- For an offensive lineman I'll say this kid is fun to watch. He's very powerful and has a great punch and decent foot speed/agility. Mason will open a bunch of holes for us at LG before long. The big question on him is as a pass blocker after playing in a run-heavy Ga. Tech scheme but I thought he did better than expected. He looked bad at times vs. New Orleans, but performed pretty well overall and also got a ton of snaps.

* Trey Flowers -- My favorite rookie so far. Flowers looks small at 6'2" and 265ish but he has long, very strong arms and does a nice job keeping blockers from getting their hands into his chest. Trey got most of his snaps versus backups, but dominated at times showing some polished pass-rush moves and generally held his ground well on running plays. I want to see him play more against the big boys, but I think we've got a steal in this kid. He made a LOT of good plays. Unusually powerful for such a slim frame.

Geneo Grissom -- Didn't do a whole lot that I noticed, but he appears to be a fluid athlete with quick feet. Looks smaller on the field than listed. I don't know whether he will end up at LB or DL.

* Joe Cardona -- One bad snap that I remember. He's a long-snapper.....who knows?

* David Andrews -- a UDFA center who played the majority of the preseason and played exactly what his rep was coming out of college-- he's athletic and good in space, but he's not exactly a powerhouse blocking in line. I was surprised he made the team, but maybe the brain trust thinks he can add muscle. I will say he didn't make a whole lot of mistakes that I noticed.

*Chris Harper -- Harper was the offense in preseason. Quick, good hands, good feet, slim frame and he had a good concept of the limited preseason playbook. I'm glad we were able to keep him at least until Brandon LaFell gets back. Harper has a chance to do something in this league, I'd venture. I just don't know if it will be here. Put it this way-- he did more coming in as a UDFA than Josh Boyce ever did. Looks to be an adequate KR guy as well.

We also added two rookies to the practice squad who didn't play for us in the preseason, but Xzavier Dickson was mildly impressive as a smallish linebacker. He made a few plays but had his ups and downs figuring out where he was supposed to be.

Nice summary and I agree with everything you said. For clarification, Derby was drafted in the 6th round as a minor nitpick.

In retrospect maybe BB could have gambled on L'ael Collins in the 6th or 7th. But no team did and the Cowboys look like geniuses for signing him as an UDFA. But he is a Texas boy and grew up a Cowboys fan, I understand.

There were reports Collins wouldn't have signed anywhere other than Dallas if he were lower than a 3rd.

Nice thread Hawg.

Tough day to spring it.

I thought I'd read somewhere Tre Jackson was the only OL to not allow a pressure and/or sack all pre season. That sounds incorrect given the limited number of snaps, but who knows.

Nice thread Hawg.

Tough day to spring it.

I thought I'd read somewhere Tre Jackson was the only OL to not allow a pressure and/or sack all pre season. That sounds incorrect given the limited number of snaps, but who knows.

I was sad to see Concordia go as he was kind of my binky and had flashes of good, but perhaps Grissom (current binky), who seems to be a similar player athletically will develop.

Nice thread Hawg.

Tough day to spring it.

Nice thread Hawg.

Tough day to spring it.

Correct for OGs, per PFF. And they monitored him on 124 snaps which is 2+ games worth of snaps. I'd say he did pretty well in pass blocking.

Shaq Mason made PFF's top 5 for his run blocking.

Good summary, Hawg.

I was a little surprised to learn of Jackson's pass-blocking stats, but you hardly heard his name mentioned -- which is probably a good thing.

I saw him grabbing guys a few times when he got a little sloppy and he could've had a few flags, but we should all feel pretty good that he is entering the season with some solid performances against pro DLs under his belt.

To clarify, I feel like Mason has that "wow" factor when he is run blocking but he has also been a bit erratic. Jackson seems steady in all phases. I'm really, really pleased with both of them and the future of the guard position is looking bright. It'll be real interesting to me to see which one has the better pro career. My gut feeling is it'll be Mason down the road. I'm not even sure if he'll start immediately.

I also don't care what else is being discussed with the Pats today. We still have a game Thursday night and I figured sharing a few thoughts on the rookies was just as pertinent as our team being under siege from idiots. The preseason games were pretty shitty as games, but I enjoyed watching the new guys and stuck to checking them out for the most part so I thought I'd weigh in.

One thing for sure is nobody can blame Deflategate, Spygate or any other sort of gate on the rooks. Not yet.

I was a little surprised to learn of Jackson's pass-blocking stats, but you hardly heard his name mentioned -- which is probably a good thing.

I saw him grabbing guys a few times when he got a little sloppy and he could've had a few flags, but we should all feel pretty good that he is entering the season with some solid performances against pro DLs under his belt.

To clarify, I feel like Mason has that "wow" factor when he is run blocking but he has also been a bit erratic. Jackson seems steady in all phases. I'm really, really pleased with both of them and the future of the guard position is looking bright. It'll be real interesting to me to see which one has the better pro career. My gut feeling is it'll be Mason down the road. I'm not even sure if he'll start immediately.

I also don't care what else is being discussed with the Pats today. We still have a game Thursday night and I figured sharing a few thoughts on the rookies was just as pertinent as our team being under siege from idiots. The preseason games were pretty shitty as games, but I enjoyed watching the new guys and stuck to checking them out for the most part so I thought I'd weigh in.

One thing for sure is nobody can blame Deflategate, Spygate or any other sort of gate on the rooks. Not yet.

My sources tell me that ESPN will soon be reporting that several people do suspect the Patriots rookies are cheaters as well. However, none of them have any evidence to support that claim at this time.

A quote from an anonymous source: "It was like Tre Jackson knew that I was going to rush the passer, how he got in my way and blocked me from getting the sack. I'm sure something funny was going on."

:coffee:

My sources tell me that ESPN will soon be reporting that several people do suspect the Patriots rookies are cheaters as well. However, none of them have any evidence to support that claim at this time.

A quote from an anonymous source: "It was like Tre Jackson knew that I was going to rush the passer, how he got in my way and blocked me from getting the sack. I'm sure something funny was going on."

:coffee:

ROFL

"Trey Flowers grabbed both of my arms and I couldn't move, but just before he blew by me for the sack I could've sworn he had like a ghost hand poking me right in the eyes. That right there was some ninja shit!"

"That Harper kid came straight out at me and then cut to the right sideline-- so I went after him and then he broke back the other way and beat me for a score--- I feel like he was being deliberately deceptive".

"Nobody really believes that Jordan Richards should have been a 2nd round pick. The guy can't run or bench press. They took him because he's a damn expert lip-reader!"

Back