Votes: 31 53.4%
  • Retire his number

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Induct him into the Patriots Hall of Fame

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Nothing

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters
It was more Kraft and Parcells than Drew...c'mon... Parcells is actually doing something down there with noodle arm!
We get it, you hate Bledsoe.

That still doesn't change the fact that he is the 2nd best QB in Pats history behind Brady. An honor worthy of Pats hall induction, a day in his honor and #11 being retired.

To which I was going to base my next reply on.

For those who think Drew doesn't deserve those 3 things, here are 5 reasons why he should:

Tony Eason
Marc Wilson
Tom Hodson
Tom Ramsey
Hugh Millen

That was just a small sample of how TERRIBLE our QBs were PRIOR to Drew showing up. The Pats were a, if not the, perennial joke of the NFL. Poor drafts, terrible QBs and even off-field scandals.

Bledsoe(along with Parcells of course) ushered in a radical change to all of that. Gone were the days of "Well, we'll never make it far because we're the Pats" and suddenly we actually saw that we belonged too. Drew was a LARGE part of that mentality shift.

For those too young to remember such years, well, thank God for YouTube:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OR9btMcI7TQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

nice video. it shows what the Pats really were before Drew. Not only were thel losing, but no one really cared either. Bledsoe helped build the bandwagon to what it is now.

I still believe if it wasn't for him they would have been out of New England before 95, likely to St. Louis.

And for anyone who didn't see my article on this, you can see it here: http://www.examiner.com/x-1701-Bost...m11d20-Should-the-Patriots-honor-Drew-Bledsoe

it is kind of long, but goes deep into why I think they should do something for Drew.

nice video. it shows what the Pats really were before Drew. Not only were thel losing, but no one really cared either. Bledsoe helped build the bandwagon to what it is now.

I still believe if it wasn't for him they would have been out of New England before 95, likely to St. Louis.

And for anyone who didn't see my article on this, you can see it here: http://www.examiner.com/x-1701-Bost...m11d20-Should-the-Patriots-honor-Drew-Bledsoe

it is kind of long, but goes deep into why I think they should do something for Drew.

Great Vid to show how pathetic and laughable the entire Patriots organization was before The Krafts took over. Make no mistake- they weren't snakebitten with bad luck, they were just AWFUL from the top down.

Drew changed everything. Those of you who dismiss Bledsoe show true ignorance of what this organization was before Drew Bledsoe came along; enjoy the spoiled days you now see with BB, TFB and company because I see dark days coming again after they are gone (Although with the Krafts owning this team they will never be laughingstocks again)

Before you rip Drew Bledsoe, do some looking back to see what this organization really was before he came here.

Great Vid to show how pathetic and laughable the entire Patriots organization was before The Krafts took over. Make no mistake- they weren't snakebitten with bad luck, they were just AWFUL from the top down.

Drew changed everything. Those of you who dismiss Bledsoe show true ignorance of what this organization was before Drew Bledsoe came along; enjoy the spoiled days you now see with BB, TFB and company because I see dark days coming again after they are gone (Although with the Krafts owning this team they will never be laughingstocks again)

Before you rip Drew Bledsoe, do some looking back to see what this organization really was before he came here.

Billy Sullivan getting in a fight with Howie Long and Matt Millen, Chuck Sullivan living in the luxury box after Don King and the Jackson 5 anal-raped them financially, a ban on MOnday Night Football games, a stadium that smelled of urine and vomit, guys suiting up out of the seats because of injuries, coaches changing more often than a model's underwear, ROFL I'm tellin' ya, the Sullivan years were bad, and yet, somehow, Kiam made it even MORE pathetic - like when he was on the sidelines in his "KIAM" 1 pats jersey, his handling of the Lisa Olsen ("Classic bitch!" incident), and the team nearly moving to St. Louis... and then there were our QBs... Grogan was probably the best out of the bunch, and he was pretty average... the rest... sucktitude for days. Then along came Kraft, Drew, and The Big Tuna... :rockon: It wasn't perfect, but damned if it wasn't an improvement beyond anything I thought possible...

You mean like Babe Parilli, Jim Plunkett, and Steve Grogan?

Incidentally, Curtis Martin was the best player on the Patriots when he was on the team, not Drew Bledsoe.

And Grogan was far from the best player when he was on the team. The Patriots were arguably the most talented team in the NFL in those days, and had one of the most dominant running attacks I have ever seen.

At the tail end of that era, we learned that all that team needed to win was a QB who simply managed the game and avoided costly mistakes.

Steve Grogan was a gutty, exciting player. But, I'll always maintain that he is among the most overrated players in our local sports history. An absolutely horrible performer in "big" games...with all that talent surrounding him, the team did not win a single playoff game with Grogan at QB. And, if I'm not mistaken, I believe they even lost every MNF game he played in as well.

I have to think that anyone who puts Grogan in the same category as Bledsoe is guilty of thinking with his heart instead of his head.

Yes, Grogan was a far better scrambler than Bledsoe. And, when it came to guts and grit, I'd rate them dead even.

In every single other category, Bledsoe was far superior to Grogan, and the numbers bear that out. More importantly, the team had far more success, with less overall talent, during Bledsoe's tenure. Of course, playing in the salary cap era, Bledsoe's salary was at least partially responsible for the level of talent surrounding him.

Drew's biggest fault was that he never seemed to live up to what we thought he should be. In his early years we saw that incredible gun of an arm;and we saw his faults....which we attributed to inexperience. We assumed that he would learn to read defenses better, improve his pocket awareness, get rid of the ball quicker, and generally make better decisions. And, for some reason, he just never improved all that much in those areas.

There was a period, early in his career, where I still believe he carried the team on his arm. In 1994, his second season. Drew seemed to have regressed from his promising rookie form, as the Pats started 3-6; and it looked like it was going to be 3-7 as the Pats trailed the vikings 20-3 at half time.

Then, Drew caught fire. He completed 45(!!!) passes that day and the Pats came back to win 26-20 in OT. They then went on to win the rest of their regular season games and made the playoffs.

When it came to clutch play, Drew had his moments. The fog bomb to Terry Glen has to rate as one of the most memorable PIWTBWNIs (Plays In Which Tom Brady was Not Involved) in Pats history.

Then there were the 2 games in a row in 1998 that Bledsoe threw the winning TD in the final 30 seconds....with a broken finger...to get the team into the playoffs for the third straight season.

And there were the frustrating times that Drew was not able to rise to the occasion, such as the 1997 playoff game against the Steelers.

Until Tom Brady came along, Drew was the best QB and one of the best players in the team's history. He and Bill Parcells share the credit for bringing the team to its most successful era prior to the Brady/Belichick era.

There should be absolutely no question that Drew Bledsoe deserves to be honored by the Patriots. And, while he fell short of the Hall of Fame career that he seemed destined for in his early days, he does belong in the Patriots Hall of Fame.

Only if the honor Jack Tatum, Darryl ;)

Nope. Tatum's hit was only bad. Lewis' changed the fortunes of the franchise and last I saw Drew, he was walking around and, you know, alive.

And now let us say, PHUCK JACK TATUM.

My favorite Drew moment is the opening game of the 94 season. Even though they lost, it was one of my all time favorite games. Drew was able to go toe to toe with Marino in just his second season. I wish I could see that game again.

That was one of the first games I remember watching as a kid. Loved seeing a shoot-out between those two guys.

Like others Drew, is one of my all-time favorite players. As a little kid he was one of the first pro football players i took a liking to and the first jersey I ever got.

I think they will have a Drew Bledseo day for him in the future.

He wasn't that successful in the W column, but he definitely had Hall of Fame stats. Honor him.

Patriots hall of fame stats yes. but i don't think they will retire his number. The last patriot to get there number retired was bruce Armstrong.

To try and say Drew didn't have heart or killer instinct is absurd.. what he doesn't have is the talent of Tom Brady, the mobility, the quick read ability, the pocket awareness... you can't tell me that guy lacked heart or passion for the game. Did he hold the ball too long, get happy feet, make bad decisions towards the end of his career, when he didn't have Ben Coats?? Hell yea.. does that mean he lacked heart or guts? Hell no...

And Grogan was far from the best player when he was on the team. The Patriots were arguably the most talented team in the NFL in those days, and had one of the most dominant running attacks I have ever seen.

At the tail end of that era, we learned that all that team needed to win was a QB who simply managed the game and avoided costly mistakes.

Steve Grogan was a gutty, exciting player. But, I'll always maintain that he is among the most overrated players in our local sports history. An absolutely horrible performer in "big" games...with all that talent surrounding him, the team did not win a single playoff game with Grogan at QB. And, if I'm not mistaken, I believe they even lost every MNF game he played in as well.

I have to think that anyone who puts Grogan in the same category as Bledsoe is guilty of thinking with his heart instead of his head.

Yes, Grogan was a far better scrambler than Bledsoe. And, when it came to guts and grit, I'd rate them dead even.

In every single other category, Bledsoe was far superior to Grogan, and the numbers bear that out. More importantly, the team had far more success, with less overall talent, during Bledsoe's tenure. Of course, playing in the salary cap era, Bledsoe's salary was at least partially responsible for the level of talent surrounding him.

Drew's biggest fault was that he never seemed to live up to what we thought he should be. In his early years we saw that incredible gun of an arm;and we saw his faults....which we attributed to inexperience. We assumed that he would learn to read defenses better, improve his pocket awareness, get rid of the ball quicker, and generally make better decisions. And, for some reason, he just never improved all that much in those areas.

There was a period, early in his career, where I still believe he carried the team on his arm. In 1994, his second season. Drew seemed to have regressed from his promising rookie form, as the Pats started 3-6; and it looked like it was going to be 3-7 as the Pats trailed the vikings 20-3 at half time.

Then, Drew caught fire. He completed 45(!!!) passes that day and the Pats came back to win 26-20 in OT. They then went on to win the rest of their regular season games and made the playoffs.

When it came to clutch play, Drew had his moments. The fog bomb to Terry Glen has to rate as one of the most memorable PIWTBWNIs (Plays In Which Tom Brady was Not Involved) in Pats history.

Then there were the 2 games in a row in 1998 that Bledsoe threw the winning TD in the final 30 seconds....with a broken finger...to get the team into the playoffs for the third straight season.

And there were the frustrating times that Drew was not able to rise to the occasion, such as the 1997 playoff game against the Steelers.

Until Tom Brady came along, Drew was the best QB and one of the best players in the team's history. He and Bill Parcells share the credit for bringing the team to its most successful era prior to the Brady/Belichick era.

There should be absolutely no question that Drew Bledsoe deserves to be honored by the Patriots. And, while he fell short of the Hall of Fame career that he seemed destined for in his early days, he does belong in the Patriots Hall of Fame.

You talking about old man Steve Grogan who had a neck brace and was going bald.. or the young guy with a full head of hair who could rushed for 13 tds and averaged 4.9 yards a run.. and was known as one of the toughest guys on the field even though he was the QB? Rushing was part of his game, you can't diminish it. You also have to factor in the people around him at the different points in his career. He was fun to watch.. I don't know that I'd say he was better than Bledsoe, different styles, different eras.. different teams... I think if anything, Grogan is still underrated..

You talking about old man Steve Grogan who had a neck brace and was going bald.. or the young guy with a full head of hair who could rushed for 13 tds and averaged 4.9 yards a run.. and was known as one of the toughest guys on the field even though he was the QB? Rushing was part of his game, you can't diminish it....

That's all true.

That doesn't change the fact that he just wasn't a very good quarterback. The guy had more INTs than TDs for crying out loud.

The Patriots of that era were frustrating underachievers. They were absolutely loaded with talent, but were never able to win a single playoff game until Tony Eason came along.

Most of the blame goes to the unstable ownership and coaching situation. But a lot of it goes to the fact that they probably had the wrong kind of QB for that team.

With such a dominant running attack, those teams would have won with a conservative, protect the ball, offense. Steve Grogan had an undeniable tendency to make horrible decisions, at critical times, that killed the team.

I don't know what your defintion of "underrated" is. But to me, Steve Grogan was a QB who wasn't able to win when he was surrounded by superior talent. The Patriots did not win a single playoff game in which Steve Grogan played. Before you tell me it wasn't his fault, take a look at his postseason stats.

The fact that so many Pats fans consider him a great quarterback makes him overrated in my book.

He wasn't that successful in the W column, but he definitely had Hall of Fame stats. Honor him.

I thought he was pretty damn successful in the W column. Overall, the Drew Bledsoe era was the most successful in team history prior to the Brady/Belichik era.

I thought he was pretty damn successful in the W column. Overall, the Drew Bledsoe era was the most successful in team history prior to the Brady/Belichik era.
Exactly. And one more VERY important aspect:

The Parcells/Bledsoe era changed the entire image of the Patriots fanchise, right down to their own uniforms. It was as if Kraft, Parcells and Drew piled up Schaeffer, the Sullivans, Kiam, Orthwein, all the off-field scandals and horrible seasons with horrible coaches, called up the a squadron of B52s and went Desert Storm on the lot of them.

Yes, he deserves all 3 things: The halftime ceremony, retire his number and put him in the Pats HOF
What he said.

I don't mean to be rude but if some of you can't appreciate what Bledsoe did for you at the time, well...I don't know what to tell you.

That's all true.

That doesn't change the fact that he just wasn't a very good quarterback. The guy had more INTs than TDs for crying out loud.

The Patriots of that era were frustrating underachievers. They were absolutely loaded with talent, but were never able to win a single playoff game until Tony Eason came along.

Most of the blame goes to the unstable ownership and coaching situation. But a lot of it goes to the fact that they probably had the wrong kind of QB for that team.

With such a dominant running attack, those teams would have won with a conservative, protect the ball, offense. Steve Grogan had an undeniable tendency to make horrible decisions, at critical times, that killed the team.

I don't know what your defintion of "underrated" is. But to me, Steve Grogan was a QB who wasn't able to win when he was surrounded by superior talent. The Patriots did not win a single playoff game in which Steve Grogan played. Before you tell me it wasn't his fault, take a look at his postseason stats.

The fact that so many Pats fans consider him a great quarterback makes him overrated in my book.

I guess I loved the way the guy played, and I'm a bit biased because I'd always bump into him at the local shops when I worked at Foxboro Co., he was a local guy.. one of us.. He was a fun qb to watch play, even when he had his neck brace :p.. He was no Tom Brady, but he was our qb... speaking of which, imagine if Tom Brady had a Stanley Morgan in his prime? :D

--------
From wiki, sounds like a 'good' qb to me..

Proclaimed the starting QB in 1976, Grogan led the Patriots to an 11-3 record and the franchise's first playoff berth since 1963 after finishing only 3-11 the previous year. The 11 wins was the clubs highest win total at the time. Along the way the Patriots defeated the defending Super Bowl champion, Pittsburgh Steelers (30-27), as well as a thumping of the Oakland Raiders (48-17) in Foxboro. The latter earning Grogan great praise from legendary coach John Madden.

One must remember Grogan was groomed in an age of offense whereby quarterbacks did not typically throw for 3,500 yards and 35 touchdowns on a consistent basis. And although 1976 was not statistically one of Grogan's best (18TDs/20INTs 1,903YDs), his twelve (12) rushing touchdowns during the 1976 season still stands as the most rushing touchdowns in a season by quarterback.

Grog's (as the New England Faithful came to call him) led the young but talented '76 Pats into Oakland to face the Raiders for the playoffs. Holding a slim 21-17 lead late in the 4th quarter - Grogan and his teammates watched the game slip away in the final minute off a comeback drive by Ken Stabler (which was prolonged off an infamous late hit call). The Raiders won 24-21 and would go on to win Super Bowl XI.

In 1978, Grogan led the Pats to an 11-5 record, a division title and the organization's first ever home playoff game, a 31-14 loss to the Houston Oilers. The Pats set the all time single season team rushing record with 3,156 yards (Grogan rushing for 539 yards and 5 touchdowns himself). That record still stands as the most productive rushing team ever in the history of the NFL.

Statistically, Grogan's best season was in 1979, when he completed 206 of 423 passes for 3,286 yards and 28 touchdowns, rushing for 368 yards and 2 touchdowns[3] while quarterbacking the highest scoring New England offense with 411pts scored[4] until the franchise's 2007 team surpassed the record.

From 1980-1982, Grogan would miss significant time due to injury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Grogan

Back