Silly arguments about Cooks

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
I was listening to Breer this morning and he was surmising that to get Cooks would probably cost a 3. Cooks also has another year left on his deal paying him $12 mil. So the question becomes do we give up a 3 for a one year rental? I don't think Bill does that especially since we are not contending for the SB this year and we have a lot of holes to fill in the offseason and need draft capital.

I was listening to Breer this morning and he was surmising that to get Cooks would probably cost a 3. Cooks also has another year left on his deal paying him $12 mil. So the question becomes do we give up a 3 for a one year rental? I don't think Bill does that especially since we are not contending for the SB this year and we have a lot of holes to fill in the offseason and need draft capital.
Yeah, you'd want to have an agreement in principle to rework his contract before you made the deal, and that's messy mid-year. I don't think he'd cost a 3, though. The Texans would be forgoing the trade value to rent him, too - they traded roughly a third to get him, and he's a year older and needs to be resigned now, whereas they could control him for 3 years when they acquired him. I'd say something along the lines of Cooks + a 6th for a 4th, maybe a 4th and 7th.

I don't think it's going to happen, but it's an interesting possibility, and it works with the cap.

Anyone know how much cap space BB typically retains for flexibility during the year? Is it this much - $4MM+ seems like a pretty big chunk.

Yeah, you'd want to have an agreement in principle to rework his contract before you made the deal, and that's messy mid-year. I don't think he'd cost a 3, though. The Texans would be forgoing the trade value to rent him, too - they traded roughly a third to get him, and he's a year older and needs to be resigned now, whereas they could control him for 3 years when they acquired him. I'd say something along the lines of Cooks + a 6th for a 4th, maybe a 4th and 7th.

I don't think it's going to happen, but it's an interesting possibility, and it works with the cap.

Anyone know how much cap space BB typically retains for flexibility during the year? Is it this much - $4MM+ seems like a pretty big chunk.
Yeah. I thought the 3 was high too. I do think it will cost a lot to resign him though. He is 28 and is having a good year on the Texans and they have nothing at the QB spot. I just don't see Bill spending on another WR given what he just paid Bourne and Agahlor.

I like cooks, enjoyed it when he was a Patriot, and I’ll always root for him.

That said, he’s better off playing in a dome than outside in foxbourgh in the winter.

I also am a fan of Cooks. He is probably the most underrated receiver in the league considering he's a guaranteed 1000 yard a season type of player yet there's no hype around him. That said, unless Pats think this was the missing piece to go on a run, there are more pressing needs to address (like a CB or a cover LB).

Unless it's N'Keal Harry for Cooks and like a 5th rounder, then I'm all in. :coffee:

I also am a fan of Cooks. He is probably the most underrated receiver in the league considering he's a guaranteed 1000 yard a season type of player yet there's no hype around him. That said, unless Pats think this was the missing piece to go on a run, there are more pressing needs to address (like a CB or a cover LB).

Unless it's N'Keal Harry for Cooks and like a 5th rounder, then I'm all in. :coffee:
Cooks is one of those guys that surprises you with the production consistency, but when you watch him play, the production and consistency doesn't match the eye test. He's like a smaller Mike Evans. I don't think I can think of a more overrated WR. Good, but not as good as the numbers show.

Last edited:
It's not going to happen. BB is not going to pay Cooks 12 million next year. No way. That ship has sailed.

I hope so, too.

I'm waiting for BB to trade for WR Brandin Cooks, though. He can separate! He's available, Houston is having a Fall Fire Sale. He'd cost less $2M for the rest of this year. Include Harry.
Cooks at X
Agholor at Y
Meyers/Bourne at Slot
Henry at Inline TE
Jonnu at H-Back.
I wore my Cooks jersey for the Jets game. Ima look like a predictionist mofo if he comes back. :coffee:

Read the board back then ...
Read the board about Stephon Gilmore that same year. They were wrong about that too. :coffee:

Honestly, Cooks should have had more catches, but Brady struggled hitting him deep consistently, and Josh McDaniels spent too much time pretending he was Percy Harvin.

Read the board about Stephon Gilmore that same year. They were wrong about that too. :coffee:

Honestly, Cooks should have had more catches, but Brady struggled hitting him deep consistently, and Josh McDaniels spent too much time pretending he was Percy Harvin.

Almost every throw to Cooks was underthrown. Fact.

Yeah, and he saw it coming, got a #1 back on trade, then watched as Cooks demanded and got $80/5, which he never would have gotten here. And for good reason.
Thats debatable. He and Brady had an instant connection. He would have been worth the big contact with Brady and now Mac. He was only 24 at the time but Bill is allergic to paying big money for a WR1 other than Moss.

Thats debatable. He and Brady had an instant connection. He would have been worth the big contact with Brady and now Mac. He was only 24 at the time but Bill is allergic to paying big money for a WR1 other than Moss.
From Ian Rapport on 4/4/18 right after Cooks was traded to the Rams:"...the Patriots did not see him (Cooks) as a true #1 for them...and from what I understand, Tom Brady is not sad about this move. Despite his numbers, Cooks wasn't a great fit.". Rapport further, "The real issue with Cooks was his inability to form a reliable connection with Brady." Instant connection? You're a lying joke.

From Ian Rapport on 4/4/18 right after Cooks was traded to the Rams:"...the Patriots did not see him (Cooks) as a true #1 for them...and from what I understand, Tom Brady is not sad about this move. Despite his numbers, Cooks wasn't a great fit.". Rapport further, "The real issue with Cooks was his inability to form a reliable connection with Brady." Instant connection? You're a lying joke.
Lol. Rapport, really?
Cooks put up a 1000+ yard season and 7 TDs in year one. I find it ridiculous that Brady would say he was not a fit for the system when he led the team in yards.

I'm guessing Ian Rapoport is a litt!e more connected to the NFL than you are. Plus, while he may at times be mistaken, I've never seen any evidence that he's an outright, bald-faced liar-unlike you.

Back