So Brady wouldn't let em have his phone, eh?

patswin

WTF
Political Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Just thinking over the allegation that Brady wasn't cooperative because he wouldn't hand his phone over. Despite assurances that the information would remain confidential.
Well, how much should he trust the NFL on that promise of confidentiality?
They've been leaking information about this matter from day one, and they leaked information about the punishment before it was released.

So yes, by all means, trust the NFL to not leak the personal and unrelated contents of your phone. Makes perfect sense to me.

handing over your phone in cases like this is the same as letting a cop in your house. If you let a cop in your house and he sees anything he thinks may be illegal he can try to make the case to a judge at a later date to search for whatever he sees. I am not saying there is anything on that phone, but I don't let a cop in my house without a warrant. Example: Brady text to BB- Did you see that vicious hit to Pollards knee. The NFL now can investigate bountygate II.

handing over your phone in cases like this is the same as letting a cop in your house. If you let a cop in your house and he sees anything he thinks may be illegal he can try to make the case to a judge at a later date to search for whatever he sees. I am not saying there is anything on that phone, but I don't let a cop in my house without a warrant. Example: Brady text to BB- Did you see that vicious hit to Pollards knee. The NFL now can investigate bountygate II.

No it's not even that. There is no subpoena power there is also no sworn testimony. If the league wants your phone then have the league purchase all the NFL employees phones and contracts.

~Dee~

Fishing expeditions aren't allowed in court. Why should it be allowed here? He did the right thing.

Fishing expeditions aren't allowed in court. Why should it be allowed here? He did the right thing.

I honestly think it's as simple as he didn't want things "accidentally leaked" like EVERY ****ING THING ELSE in this whole fiasco.

And the talking heads here going "He's gonna hafta give his phone up in court!"

Yeah, no shit. It also won't be broadcast to the public when he does. Dumbasses. You don't think he knows that?

I honestly think it's as simple as he didn't want things "accidentally leaked" like EVERY ****ING THING ELSE in this whole fiasco.

Yeah, no shit. It also won't be broadcast to the public when he does. Dumbasses. You don't think he knows that?

Oh, they won't get his phone. They will have to file a Request For Production, it will have to be VERRRY specific, narrow in scope, and Brady's counsel will be able to redact whatever they want.

Oh, they won't get his phone. They will have to file a Request For Production, it will have to be VERRRY specific, narrow in scope, and Brady's counsel will be able to redact whatever they want.

Kessler will also be able to deem anything "Confidential-For Attorneys Eyes Only" and if ANYTHING gets leaked, sanctions will attach to the league and its counsel. And that will be significant.

This is gonna be great.

Kessler will also be able to deem anything "Confidential-For Attorneys Eyes Only" and if ANYTHING gets leaked, sanctions will attach to the league and its counsel. And that will be significant.

This is gonna be great.

I'm not sure how legal circles work but i do know how medical circles work this would have been know well before it was announced in the medical world. Could that be why wells went on his PR campaign today?

~Dee~

This is gonna be great.

That's the part I was talking about, not to mention anyone else named (Kensil, Grigson, Irsay, Bischotti, Goodell), would then be compelled to make their information available as well.

Oh, and if Wells tries to claim "privilege" on any part of the investigation, he admits that it, indeed, was not independent.

As far as the specific nature of the information, that can vary, but you're right, it's transcriptions from one side to the other and so forth. The actual, physical phone is never given over, I should have been more clear.

I'm not sure how legal circles work but i do know how medical circles work this would have been know well before it was announced in the medical world. Could that be why wells went on his PR campaign today?

~Dee~

Wells went on his campaign because the NFL wanted him to. They saw that they were taking a hit with a lot of media, reporters, and sports people and had to do something. They paid this guy MILLIONS and his report cast the NFL in the best light. They had to strike to maintain (hahaha) credibility...and an upper hand. Wells couldn't care less about the chatter. He hears it every day. The NFL put him out there to give the appearance of no bias.

That's the part I was talking about, not to mention anyone else named (Kensil, Grigson, Irsay, Bischotti, Goodell), would then be compelled to make their information available as well.

Oh, and if Wells tries to claim "privilege" on any part of the investigation, he admits that it, indeed, was not independent.

As far as the specific nature of the information, that can vary, but you're right, it's transcriptions from one side to the other and so forth. The actual, physical phone is never given over, I should have been more clear.

I was thinking the same about the privilege. He has put himself in a catch-22 because he claims independence; yet, he is not only being paid by the NFL, he refers to them as "my client." He quite possibly could claim attorney-client privilege on all things NFL.

Interesting.

Wells went on his campaign because the NFL wanted him to. They saw that they were taking a hit with a lot of media, reporters, and sports people and had to do something. They paid this guy MILLIONS and his report cast the NFL in the best light. They had to strike to maintain (hahaha) credibility...and an upper hand. Wells couldn't care less about the chatter. He hears it every day. The NFL put him out there to give the appearance of no bias.

He did seem awfully doddering with the NFL PR team coaching him through that interview today.

I bet Wells can't wait to cash that check and be done with this.

He did seem awfully doddering with the NFL PR team coaching him through that interview today.

I bet Wells can't wait to cash that check and be done with this.

I think they made a huge mistake with this. Showed weakness.

I was thinking the same about the privilege. He has put himself in a catch-22 because he claims independence; yet, he is not only being paid by the NFL, he refers to them as "my client." He quite possibly could claim attorney-client privilege on all things NFL.

Interesting.

Because otherwise, he'd be on the defense witness list for sure.

And the thing about it is? While the talking heads are hanging on every word, the legal eagles are listening going "Oh, wow, they're ****ed".

And the thing about it is? While the talking heads are hanging on every word, the legal eagles are listening going "Oh, wow, they're ****ed".

I think they made some big blunders in that. The one that sticks out the most is the Legal assistant (whomever) says science doesn't lie or something to that affect. In the footnotes Exponent admits they can't be sure which gauge was used. I do firmly believe they could have as i've alluded to a few times. They choose not to.

~Dee~

I agree. If cheech wells report was unbiased the report would reflect that and there would be no need for him to have to defend it. The league and their independent hocus pocus counselor have every reason to worry. I wonder if Goodell got a money back guarantee on this fictional report.

Interesting.

This is the thing that intrigues me about the situation - as a supposedly independent investigator I don't see how he can claim attorney-client privilege; to me his independence makes him more of a 'friend of the court'. Then again, I'm not a lawyer.

Back