Superbowl Sunday Menu

PatsR

Reaction score
Pre-game starts at 11 and in my house, so does the food. So whats on your menu (besides grilled Panther)?

The usuals:
Chips/Dips
Shrimp Cocktail
Buffalo Wings (of the flaming hot drippy nose variety)
Beer (duh)

The Specialties:
Scallops wrapped in bacon
Mexican dip
Taco pie
Meatballs
Tortilla roll-ups

And last but not least, when the Pats won the Bowl in '01, I had bought some Alaskan king crab legs at a local fish market and cooked them in the stove. They stunk up the house but you can bet your Pats jersey I'll be cooking them again................its a ritual thing!!

Clams over angel-hair pasta! :D

Actually, if it's not too brutally cold outside I thought I might pull the gas grill out of the garage and grill up some thick steaks. Wash them down a nice Mouton Cadet.

Blaringly hot wings would be great too, but nobody makes them right in my neck of the woods.

Nice spread there PatsR. You have a crew come over or what?

Beav, you got to make your own hot wings! It's actually very easy. You have to have a Fry Daddy or similar frying equipment. I suppose you could do them in a frying pan w/ oil but that might suck bad.

Buy the wings fresh at the store. Bring 'em home, drink a beer. If their the whole wings, you've got to cut them into the sections so they're like the restaurant would sell them and discard the useless end piece thingy. Drink a beer. Bake them for about 10 minutes at about 350, which is just enough time to drink a beer.

Prepare the "juice" on the stove. This is ridiculously easy! Matter of fact you can almost follow the recipe on the side of any bottle of Red Hot brand sauce (but they make bland wings). Use a whole large bottle of red hot, a stick of butter, a couple shakes of black pepper... then the important part. You have to add tobasco and some crushed red pepper to taste. Go easy on the tobasco at first, cuz if you overdo it, your wings are ruined. Drink a beer now. Keep your juice warm on the stove but don't simmer or boil if.

Start with just a handful of wings in the fry daddy. Cook them only until they're golden brown. Take 'em out, drain them well and throw them in the hot juice on the stove. Just get them covered and remove them. If you get the juice on your hands, don't touch yours or your significant other's genitals. Drink a beer.

If it's not spicy enough for your taste add tobasco to the juice and repeat the frying process, then dipping process. I'm telling you, if you do this right, they're some of the best wings you'll ever eat..... waaaaayyyy better than Hooters crappy wings with batter on them! Yuk.

Thanks Pookie. I copied and pasted your instructions into a text file.

A long time ago I spent a couple of years not far from Buffalo. Only thing I miss about the place is the wings. You could get great wings cheap at just about every corner bar in town. One place we used to to watch Monday Night Football had all you could eat for $3. Three flavors: plain, hot, and butter and garlic. By the fourth quarter we'd have a two foot high pile of bones on the table. Not an appetizing image, but it was great.

pookie said:
Beav, you got to make your own hot wings! It's actually very easy. You have to have a Fry Daddy or similar frying equipment. I suppose you could do them in a frying pan w/ oil but that might suck bad.

POOK

I like the sound of this recipe....I think I may try it Sunday.....About how long in the fry daddy? And Red Hot is the brand, or is it like Franks or something?

bump

I'll be doing Teriyaki wings in the snow on the grill too :)

Buffalo wings and nachos for appetizers and then grilled filet mignon for the main course. Cabernet with the steak and anything wet that contains booze for the game itself.

Undertaker #59 said:
POOK

I like the sound of this recipe....I think I may try it Sunday.....About how long in the fry daddy? And Red Hot is the brand, or is it like Franks or something?

Since not everybody has a fry daddy, you can get good results from simply baking or grilling the wings (keep them off direct flame) and then tossing them in a mixture of Franks and melted butter.

They are really pretty good this way and compare favorable to the deep friend ones. Maybe even better and extremely simple.
You can add a little tabasco if it ain't doing it for you.

I would not hesitate to use Frank's hot sauce. I know a gourmet chef that uses the stuff and you can find it at most supermarkets around here.

pookie said:
..... If you get the juice on your hands, don't touch yours or your significant other's genitals......

Actually, Pook - I was watching the Season 1 DVD of Curb Your Enthusiasm the other day, and apparently that sentence isn't entirely accurate.....I don't think I'll go into specifics, however.....

:D

I have a very nice fryolater....just wanted to make sure to not have them in there too long. And is Franks what he used, or is that different from "red hot brand?"

Undertaker #59 said:
I have a very nice fryolater....just wanted to make sure to not have them in there too long. And is Franks what he used, or is that different from "red hot brand?"

He didn't specify and said use any one. Red Hot and Franks are different brands but basically similar. I use Frank's all the time and you won't be disappointed. Closest thing I've found to the famous Wendell's hot wings - only the sauce is no secret.

Crap....

I have one other question involving this recipe....with the jar of sauce, and the stick of butter and everything....how many pounds of wings will this cover????

Hawg73 said:
Since not everybody has a fry daddy, you can get good results from simply baking or grilling the wings (keep them off direct flame) and then tossing them in a mixture of Franks and melted butter.

They are really pretty good this way and compare favorable to the deep friend ones. Maybe even better and extremely simple.
You can add a little tabasco if it ain't doing it for you.

I would not hesitate to use Frank's hot sauce. I know a gourmet chef that uses the stuff and you can find it at most supermarkets around here.

Hawg:

Can you marinate the wings in the sauce before baking or grilling them? Or is it better to apply the sauce after? One thing I don't like is cooked wings with cold sauce. Much better when the sauce is heated as well.

Bushy T Beaver said:
Hawg:

Can you marinate the wings in the sauce before baking or grilling them? Or is it better to apply the sauce after? One thing I don't like is cooked wings with cold sauce. Much better when the sauce is heated as well.

Don't grill or marinate the wings prior to, this kind of sauce is not supposed to go that way and your wings will be a smoking mess.

If you heat up the Frank's and butter in a saucepan prior to dipping that will work fine and you could give them a real quick post-sauce grilling if you wished, but a butter/Franks based sauce will not last long on a grill or an oven before spitting and burning something fierce.

There are exact instructions right on the bottle that if memory serves is identical what we have laid out here. The butter is the key.

Plus it's good for you. :thumb:

This is the recipe from Franks home site.

ORIGINAL BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes

Ingredients:

2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, split and tips discarded
1/2 cup Frank's® RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce (or more to taste)
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
Zesty Blue Cheese Dip (optional)
Celery sticks

Directions:

1. Deep fry wings at 400ºF (HIGH) for 12 minutes or until cooked and crispy; drain.

2. In large bowl, combine Frank`s RedHot Sauce and butter. Toss wings in sauce to coat completely. If desired, serve with Zesty Blue Cheese Dip and celery sticks.

Makes 24 to 30 individual pieces

Alternate cooking directions: Prepare wings using one of the cooking methods below. Toss in sauce.

To Bake: Place wings single layer on a rack in a foil-lined roasting pan. Bake at 425ºF for 1 hour until fully cooked and crispy, turning halfway.

To Broil: Place wings single layer on a rack in a foil-lined roasting pan. Broil 6-inches from heat for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked and crispy, turning once.

To Grill: Place wings on an oiled grid; grill over medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes until fully cooked and crispy, turning often.

Couple of variations I might try:

1. Personally I prefer ranch sauce to blue cheese. Matter of taste, I guess. Literally.

2. For hot sauces I like carrot-based habanero sauces, so maybe I'll try that. Marie Sharp's is yummy and smoking hot. Got hooked on it during a fishing trip to Belize a few years back

Undertaker #59 said:
POOK

Man, sorry I didn't catch this question. I've busier than a one armed paper hanger.

Probably too late, but use the real Red Hot brand... I think it's made by Durkee. It only takes several to five minutes in the Fry Daddy... until they're golden brown.

Back