Teams with worse WR corps than the Pats

rivshark86

Reaction score
I was talking with some of my friends last night, and one of them said if you don't throw in TEs the Pats have one of the 5 worst WR corps in the NFL. I thought about it for a minute and realized he may be right. I can't think of many teams with worse WRs, but I came up with the Rams, and the Jets. The Ravens, Jags, Raiders, Bills, Panthers and Vikings may be close but poor QB play could be a factor with some of those teams.
It seemed like every completion Brady made in the Denver game was to someone with a defender right on top of them, while Manning was hitting guys with no one within 10 feet of them. It's crazy what Brady does with the lack of talent at the position.

The Seahawks' WR corps wasn't exactly a thing of beauty in 2013, either.

Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin are okay, but they're backed up by Jermaine Kearse, Sidney "Mr. Half-season" Rice and Ricardo Lockette. Harvin might have made a difference, but . . .

Meanwhile, the Fivehead has so many weapons that a TE who's averaged nearly 40/400 over his career (Tamme) rarely sees a target.

There is a good chance that Tamme and Dreesen both will be cut loose this off season by Denver. They both make about 3 million/year. Possible good pick ups for the Patriots. Tamme is a good receiver, not much of a blocker, Dreesen the reverse.

The Seahawks' WR corps wasn't exactly a thing of beauty in 2013, either.

Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin are okay, but they're backed up by Jermaine Kearse, Sidney "Mr. Half-season" Rice and Ricardo Lockette. Harvin might have made a difference, but . . .

Meanwhile, the Fivehead has so many weapons that a TE who's averaged nearly 40/400 over his career (Tamme) rarely sees a target.

Seattle wrs did not look weak tonite

Seattle wrs did not look weak tonite

I agree. They looked damn fine tonight.

BTW, Russell Wilson can spin it. Even in slo-mo, the laces are a vague white blur.

Based on this game you could add the Denver Broncos. Did Eric Decker suit up tonight?

Based on this game you could add the Denver Broncos. Did Eric Decker suit up tonight?

Seattle's defense is the best. I h8 Seattle, and I can admit this. 49er's are close behind. The NFL needs to wake up and start drafting better. WTF?!?! Even the Cards are damn good!!!!

Whomever thought that the donko's even had a chance tonight, you were hitting on the methpipe. :high:

I agree. They looked damn fine tonight.

BTW, Russell Wilson can spin it. Even in slo-mo, the laces are a vague white blur.

It's easy to dislike Seattle outside of Wilson, who has a knack for keeping plays alive with his feet and was very accurate last night.

He's got the underdog thing going on and seems like a fine person. You have to hand it to them for taking a shot at a 5'11" QB when so many teams spend premium picks on prototype guys who aren't nearly as good of a player as this kid is.

They got it right with him as they so often have in the draft in putting that team together. They've got stars and a lot of capable medium-tier guys who get it done. We'll see what kind of job they do handling success going forward, but that is a good football team and the support they got from their fans last night was unreal. It seemed very, very loud for them in that stadium.

It's easy to dislike Seattle outside of Wilson, who has a knack for keeping plays alive with his feet and was very accurate last night.

He's got the underdog thing going on and seems like a fine person. You have to hand it to them for taking a shot at a 5'11" QB when so many teams spend premium picks on prototype guys who aren't nearly as good of a player as this kid is.

They got it right with him as they so often have in the draft in putting that team together. They've got stars and a lot of capable medium-tier guys who get it done. We'll see what kind of job they do handling success going forward, but that is a good football team and the support they got from their fans last night was unreal. It seemed very, very loud for them in that stadium.

That Seattle defensive backfield cost only a little over $10M in cap money this year. Drafting is key. (No way BB will franchise Talib at a ridiculous cost of $11M for next year.)

Sam Monson ‏<s>@</s>PFF_Sam <small class="time"> 25m </small> Guess how much weight separates Demaryius Thomas and Kam Chancellor? ~30lbs, right? 3lbs. One guy plays big, powerful, the other does not.

:coffee:

That Seattle defensive backfield cost only a little over $10M in cap money this year. Drafting is key. (No way BB will franchise Talib at a ridiculous cost of $11M for next year.)

That cost is about to go up significantly. Seattle has already stated that a new contract for Thomas is the top priority. Sherman will have to follow soon after.

But your point is well taken. Seattle is getting max performance out of these players while they are still under their rookie contracts.

That cost is about to go up significantly. Seattle has already stated that a new contract for Thomas is the top priority. Sherman will have to follow soon after.

But your point is well taken. Seattle is getting max performance out of these players while they are still under their rookie contracts.

Yup. These guys are about to be paid. And the skillset and physical attributes dont show up every year in the draft.

All the talk about looking forward with them will be tough. Pirates will ravage that team and the 9ers and mine all the rook contract talent clean. Its tough to have the best two teams in the league, with all the recent success of both, and not have all the rook talent raped from you.

Yup. These guys are about to be paid. And the skillset and physical attributes dont show up every year in the draft.

All the talk about looking forward with them will be tough. Pirates will ravage that team and the 9ers and mine all the rook contract talent clean. Its tough to have the best two teams in the league, with all the recent success of both, and not have all the rook talent raped from you.

Which is why BB doesn't build NE that way, and why the team is always among the last teams standing.

BB constructs his team in multi-tiered, overlapping layers rather than having all the weight resting on a few columns.

Back