Teh unofficial "I hate Christmas" thread

I started a tradition in my home of offering up one new food item on the Christmas dinner table each year. Sometimes it has been great and became a requested addition. Like the smoked brandy glazed pheasants. Others not so much. The marinated octopus was not a big hit. Last year I presented an apple stuffed venison tenderloin with hard cider glaze. This year it is boneless pork loin chops thinned and wrapped around fried apple, cranberries, and Gruyere cheese. Yes I decorate my home on the outside Some lighted garland and wreaths hung from the eaves and a lighted Nativity scene. My Kids and Grand kids come over the weekend before to help with the tree and any indoor decorating. The people who can will then stay till after Christmas.

I usually end up working at least part of the holiday. Still, I enjoy the get togethers that I can attend.

I like the holiday most because I like getting presents, getting drunk around family, and sticking my tongue down the throats of the attractive female in laws on the mistletoe precept.

Oh, and don't get me started on the blandness of Turkey. The problem is that turkey is what gets served at Mrs Cat's family so we're stuck with it.

Turkey, when cooked properly, is awesome! Obviously, Mrs. Cat's family hasn't a f'ing clue about cooking turkey. If you can have anything to do with this year's turkey, let me know and I'll send suggestions for a most delicious turkey.

I always have done. It reminds me of how I had to borrow a family, growing up, because I'd been in children's homes and then in long-term foster care (for the record, I was always well looked after in both, but I've always been an outsider).

Then's there's the crap time of year, when it's effectively always dark, there's the abysmal music (I am lover of Metal), the "enforced jollity" of parties and gatherings and so on.

Telly is also really, really crap, unless you like listening to a speechwriter scripted monologue from someone with huge amounts of inherited wealth (the Queen's speech).

Oh, and don't get me started on the blandness of Turkey. Why the F*** can't Lamb or Beef be traditional?
I also am not a big fan of Christmas but turkey is awesome when made right.

Oh, and lamb sucks.:shrug_n:

We have Turkey on Thanksgiving and a ham on Christmas traditionally. I remember having big family gatherings (the part I like the most) on both sides of my family up until about five or six years ago (or so). On my moms side, everything basically stopped when my grandma on her side passed away. On my dads side, we still get together, but it is only about ten people (we are actually doing this on Sunday) as many of my Grandma's siblings have passed away. A few years ago, the year before I got married, I went to my wife's dads side of family Christmas. Big house, around 20-30 people. I loved it. I hardly knew anyone, still don't. My favorite part was watching all the kids open up presents, especially the real little ones. Makes me excited for Christmas' to come. I already decided that I am going to try to get my moms side of the family back together for a dinner next year (hey, I can exploit my daughter to get them to come for a babys first Christmas). My father in laws side Christmas is the 30th and hopefully just as many of more will show up. I hope we can make it, one way or another, it will be a family gathering (with big family or at the hospital with a new family member). On my wife's mothers side, there isn't many left and it is Next Sunday at the assisted living facility her grandma lives at. I personally don't care about gifts anymore but I expect my daughter will be getting some and Sarah's grandma (dads side) always makes noodles for everyone (you have to cook them).

Actually, ham is "traditionally" a Spring celebration meal.

According to a book "Imponderables" , from the pre interweb days, this had to do with how hams were cured in the before time.

They would bury the ham hock at the beach, above the normal high tide mark, and the winter storms would drive the ocean up on the beach and brine the ham.

Come Spring, it would be ready.

I think this method of preparation went out of vogue about the same time they realized you didn't have to burn down the barn to get roasted pig.

My family celebrates on Christmas Eve, serving the traditional 'seven fishes' fare, with lobster Fra Diavolo as the main course. Christmas Day is more laid back.

I know I'm lucky to have such an awesome family and great memories, but I also know the holidays are not a very happy time for many people.

I also am not a big fan of Christmas but turkey is awesome when made right.

Oh, and lamb sucks.:shrug_n:

Yeah, I don't get the lamb thing either. I would eat it if nothing else was available.

My family celebrates on Christmas Eve, serving the traditional 'seven fishes' fare, with lobster Fra Diavolo as the main course. Christmas Day is more laid back.

I know I'm lucky to have such an awesome family and great memories, but I also know the holidays are not a very happy time for many people.

Lots of this. We also do Christmas eve with the kids and now grandkids. We have lobster as the main course.

Yeah, I don't get the lamb thing either. I would eat it if nothing else was available.

Count me in. I"ll eat lamb chops but other then that…..

~Dee~

I don't hate Christmas, but I would prefer that it be a 24-hour thing and not 5 weeks of preparation, bullshit and worrying that whatever you do is not enough.

My wife LOVES Christmas. The other 11 months of the year she's fine, but every year she goes insane with decorating and gifts and I get to help make her yuletide dreams come true or else I'm in deep, deep shit.

I absolutely hate most Christmas carols, though. Every year one song becomes a Cetian earworm for me and drives me shithouse for the duration.

This year the leader in the clubhouse is "Drummer Boy". Rump a bum bum. Anything with Bing Crosby pisses me off.

December 26th is the happiest day of my calendar year. 46 weeks of relative peace begins.

I wish. The problem is that turkey is what gets served at Mrs Cat's family so we're stuck with it.

yeah-that's rough.

My advice would be to buy a giant roast beef and swiss sub and hide it in the bathroom. One or two bites into the Turkey dinner, start grabbing your gut and excuse your self saying, "My stomach is bothering me." This frees you up to head to the loo, and get 15 or 20 minutes of undisturbed time(Literally, no one will want to go near you.) to have a fantastic Christmas dinner in blessed solitude. You can even bring in headphone's and play your favorite selection's of Christmas music while you happily chomp away on the BEST holiday meal you ever had.

Hide the evidence-emerge from the john when your done and announce that you are feeling much better, but ' I better hold off from eating, just in case'. In an hour you are free to partake in drinking and desserts under the guise that you have made a full recovery.

Just consider this advice my gift to you this holiday season. cheers!

Lots of this. We also do Christmas eve with the kids and now grandkids. We have lobster as the main course.

~Dee~

I always do tenderloin steaks with scalloped taters on the eve, but have been thinking about doing something different this year and then I saw your post.

I still have to do the steaks, but I'll do a side dish of lobster mac n'cheese to fancy it up.

Thanks for the idea!

I love lamb. It's a great greek tradition (yes, I'm not greek but I am ecumenticle).

Other than that I'm holddng out for the "OFFICIAL I hate Christmas" thread.

Cheers, BostonTim

I don't hate Christmas, but I would prefer that it be a 24-hour thing and not 5 weeks of preparation, bullshit and worrying that whatever you do is not enough.

My wife LOVES Christmas. The other 11 months of the year she's fine, but every year she goes insane with decorating and gifts and I get to help make her yuletide dreams come true or else I'm in deep, deep shit.

I absolutely hate most Christmas carols, though. Every year one song becomes a Cetian earworm for me and drives me shithouse for the duration.

This year the leader in the clubhouse is "Drummer Boy". Rump a bum bum. Anything with Bing Crosby pisses me off.

December 26th is the happiest day of my calendar year. 46 weeks of relative peace begins.

For me? :donkeys:

"Hark, now hear the angels sing, a king was born today,
And man will live for evermore, because of Christmas Day.
Mary's boy child Jesus Christ was born on Christmas day."

And should someone called Boney M even be allowed to do Xmas music?

Cheers, BostonTim

I always do tenderloin steaks with scalloped taters on the eve, but have been thinking about doing something different this year and then I saw your post.

I still have to do the steaks, but I'll do a side dish of lobster mac n'cheese to fancy it up.

Thanks for the idea!

Lobster mac and cheese is yummy. We have my family coming over this Sunday I will be doing a roast tenderloin with a variety of sauces, gorgonzola, horseradish, and Bearnaise and I probably will do scalloped potatoes. Christmas is hubby's family we will probably being doing turkey and lamb or ham.

~Dee~

Back