The 2019 Patriots Draft and Draftee Discussion

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
Only a week to go and anticipation is so high it will seem like a month.
Keep in mind this is the lying season and be careful not to swallow
everything you've been reading starting last week. For example, I've been reading this kind of stuff a lot recently:

CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora in his NFL Insider Notes says New England *allegedly* likes Daniel Jones the more they think about it.
This could become a spot for Daniel Jones. The Duke QB is a polarizing prospect who hasn’t exactly wowed everyone he’s been around. But he has good size and a David Cutcliffe pedigree and I continue to hear the Patriots have taken a shine to him. Is he their pick at 32? I’m not so sure. Maybe the Patriots would move up a bit for him, or someone else does.
Yeah, OK, Jason. I don't suppose you realize even now that you were set up.

Then I saw this a few minutes ago on twitter and laughed so hard at the thought of it.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
Sources: <s>#</s>Raiders coach Jon Gruden and GM Mike Mayock sent their scouts home for the weekend and they are not expected to return by draft time. The belief is they don’t know who to trust and wanted to clear the room.

To which Gil Brandt replied.

Gil Brandt‏Verified account @Gil_Brandt
Gil Brandt Retweeted Ian Rapoport
We never cleared the room but sometimes we'd lay traps for scouts we didn't trust. In 1987 we showed our board to a scout with us taking Mike Junkin, a LB we didn't like. Two days later, Cowboys beat writer Jim Dent wrote a story saying we were taking Junkin. Hook, line, stinker.
Just got back from looking at my notes on Junkin. I gave him a grade of 1, lowest possible. He went 5th overall to Browns, who traded up to take him. Scouts there saw him as a 2nd-rounder but were overruled by the HC. Junkin played in 20 NFL games, 7 starts.

It's the lying season, folks. Teams are leaking smokescreens every day. Don't be those Browns.

BTW, the HC of the Browns in '87 was Marty Schottenheimer. He was fired mid-way through the next season by Art Modell after Martyball had won the division 3 consecutive years. Kosar, Earnest Byner & Ozzie Newsome...man, that jogs the memory banks.

What should BB do with 32?
BB is sitting pretty at 32 wh/ is a great position for trades. I think chances are pretty high he trades it for more picks in the 2nd and middle rounds. Nevertheless, here are my top 10 players for the Pats from a Pats' perspective, realistic or not.

1. TE Hockenson
2. DL Clellin Ferrell
3. DL Christian Wilkins
4. DL Jerry Tillery
5. DL Jeffery Simmons
6. WR Hakeem Butler
7. WR Deebo Samuel
8. DL Dexter Lawrence
9. WR AJBrown
10. OT pick one of Andre Dillard, Jawaan Taylor or Dalton Risner

What are your top targets for the Pats with 32?

BB is sitting pretty at 32 wh/ is a great position for trades. I think chances are pretty high he trades it for more picks in the 2nd and middle rounds. Nevertheless, here are my top 10 players for the Pats from a Pats' perspective, realistic or not.

1. TE Hockenson
2. DL Clellin Ferrell
3. DL Christian Wilkins
4. DL Jerry Tillery
5. DL Jeffery Simmons
6. WR Hakeem Butler
7. WR Deebo Samuel
8. DL Dexter Lawrence
9. WR AJBrown

You listed several of the guys that I'd love to see us add.

Ferrell is a guy that I believe might drop because I see him a rough equivalent to Trey Flowers. I don't know if he can play inside like Flowers, but despite the fact he is checks almost every box he's not the quick-twitch outside rush guy that much of the NFL is fixated on. I'm not holding my breath, but this guy is going to help somebody win.

Wilkins could also drop just because he's not a huge guy, but he's a super-quick technician with a motor like you read about. Aaron Donald is the patron saint of smallish interior DLs and he lasted until 13 just because nobody could believe that a guy that size was as dominant as their eyes told them he was. Wilkins will likely be the player that we hoped Malcom Brown (and Dominique Easley) would be and we don't really have a guy with his skill-set on the roster.

While most of us are worried about OT in the short-term, I've been thinking lately that Bill often drafts to replace guys due to get a big contract down the road and we could have one of the top guards drop into our lap there.

Lindstrom or Cody Ford maybe. My dark horse might be Elgton Jenkins who is one of those coach-on-the-field guys who finished as a Center, but has played every spot on the line at a high level.

Best safety? The mind reels with the possibilities.

Noah Fant is the more likely TE available and even that is rather doubtful. I’ve seen many mocks where they go back to back around 8 or 10.

A bigger, faster APerp. Yeah, we could make that work.

All the bright shiny pieces make everyone ooh and aah, self included. Butler would be a dream, if he developed into what we hope.

The game is won on the lines. O and D. Control them, control the game. I’ve preached Lawrence. Added to Pennell and Guy that’s a flat out NASTY 3 man front.

The O line has been GREAT. But they certainly are pricey. And our LT situation is precarious AT BEST. He’s a G body and we have next to zero film on him at the pro level. Starting LT with a kick of Wynn inside would add youth and rookie level deals for 4+ more years for 40% of the Oline. I need to do more work looking at T.

My gut still says Lawrence. Bill LOVES D line in the 1st, and this draft is SO deep we normally would have a Dean Wormer level chance at that type of player.

1. TE Hockenson
2. DL Clellin Ferrell
3. DL Christian Wilkins
4. DL Jerry Tillery
5. DL Jeffery Simmons
6. WR Hakeem Butler
7. WR Deebo Samuel
8. DL Dexter Lawrence
9. WR AJBrown

We are so accustomed to BB trading down we ( I ) forget that in 2012 he traded up twice in the first round and only made four ( I guess ) selections in the whole draft. With 12 picks this year I think it’s much more likely he trades up.

We are so accustomed to BB trading down we ( I ) forget that in 2012 he traded up twice in the first round and only made four ( I guess ) selections in the whole draft. With 12 picks this year I think it’s much more likely he trades up.

I don’t.

There’s more needs/concerns/holes in this team than that team.

I’m really hoping at 32 there’s still a handful Bill would be content with and some team is salivating over an arm still on the board - hello Drew Lock - and gives up a solid pack of picks to have that 5th year option at QB.

We are so accustomed to BB trading down we ( I ) forget that in 2012 he traded up
In the two decades he's been here he's only traded up in one year, while all the other years he either didn't trade or traded down. That isn't much of a trend indicating he'll trade up. Besides, how'd that Chandler Jones move up work out?

I think it’s much more likely he trades up.
It's more likely he will trade OUT of the first round entirely, which he's done several times, than he is to trade up.

Anything is possible, of course. Maybe he'll trade all 12 picks for a RB.

In the two decades he's been here he's only traded up in one year, while all the other years he either didn't trade or traded down. That isn't much of a trend indicating he'll trade up. Besides, how'd that Chandler Jones move up work out?

It's more likely he will trade OUT of the first round entirely, which he's done several times, than he is to trade up.

Anything is possible, of course. Maybe he'll trade all 12 picks for a RB.

I just don’t see them actually drafting 12 players. Of course I have no idea what they’ll do but trading down for more picks in this draft seems particularly unlikely. Of course if some team, any team, offers them their first NEXT year and something else for the 32nd pick, I think they will do that.

I just don’t see them actually drafting 12 players. Of course I have no idea what they’ll do but trading down for more picks in this draft seems particularly unlikely. Of course if some team, any team, offers them their first NEXT year and something else for the 32nd pick, I think they will do that.

I think that teams drafting say 20 on down will be looking to get out of the first round. Weak draft class & they'll be looking for volume and/or future picks.

He traded up in the first round to get both Daniel Graham and Ty Warren ( in different years of course ). I think he also traded up to get Chad Jackson.

I thought Chandler Jones was an all-pro ( I haven’t checked ). He was hardly a bad draft pick.

He traded up in the first round to get both Daniel Graham and Ty Warren ( in different years of course ). I think he also traded up to get Chad Jackson.

I thought Chandler Jones was an all-pro ( I haven’t checked ). He was hardly a bad draft pick.
There's always a chance BB will do the unexpected. That doesn't make it probable, or even likely. Guess we'll see in a few days.

I think that teams drafting say 20 on down will be looking to get out of the first round. Weak draft class & they'll be looking for volume and/or future picks.

Logical/speak...

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

There's always a chance BB will do the unexpected. That doesn't make it probable, or even likely. Guess we'll see in a few days.

Yeah...a 2nd on a POS safety...not even ranked! :coffee:

Back