The 2020 NFL Season Of COVID Gets An Asterisk

Seahawks should be a very good team for a few years to come. Good personnel led by one of the best QBs in the league.

Seahawks should be a very good team for a few years to come. Good personnel led by one of the best QBs in the league.

Defense is lacking a bit. 10 wins this year is my prediction.

Every ailment any player has will be attributed to Covid.

The NFL needs to be ready to weather entire teams getting sick from a PR perspective. It’s happening in the MLB and they aren’t ready. Guys on espn radio are already gleefully calling for them to stop. I hope they play but my gut says it’ll get shut down.

Some guys are Asymtomatic but test positive for weeks. They should be able to play. They need to stick to what they plan though in the face of what will be a very hostile media hoping for a shutdown.

Every ailment any player has will be attributed to Covid.

The NFL needs to be ready to weather entire teams getting sick from a PR perspective. It’s happening in the MLB and they aren’t ready. Guys on espn radio are already gleefully calling for them to stop. I hope they play but my gut says it’ll get shut down.

Some guys are Asymtomatic but test positive for weeks. They should be able to play. They need to stick to what they plan though in the face of what will be a very hostile media hoping for a shutdown.

Honestly it should be shut down until there is a vaccine. Because nothing is going to work until then. The virus is the same now as it was when they shut everything down the first time. Nothing really has changed. Not sure why now all of the sudden its different. Everything will be a mess until there is a vaccine. What you dont see is that people who do not show symptoms can still give the virus out, thus you are in fact making it worse, so no, players that test
positive should not play or you will have mass spread of the virus.

What makes you think a vaccine will be better than what we have for the flu? Or cover all of some 30 plus strains of covid?

Covids gonna be with us.

To me, football is essential. Essential workers need to work. Don't cancel. For my sanity. Purely selfish, I know.

What makes you think a vaccine will be better than what we have for the flu? Or cover all of some 30 plus strains of covid?

Covids gonna be with us.

What makes you think a vaccine won't be effective?

Early reports are very promising with the vaccines triggering a strong immune response. Phase 2 trials are well underway and phase 3 will be shortened for release of a vax in the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/n...vaccine-tracker-how-close-are-we-to-a-vaccine

SARS-CoV-2 shares between 80% and 90% of its genetic material with the virus that caused SARS – hence its name. Both consist of a strip of RNA enclosed in a fatty shell through which protrude many protein spikes. The spikes lock on to receptors on the surface of cells lining the human lung – the same type of receptor in both cases – allowing the virus to break into the cell. Once inside, it hijacks the cell’s reproductive machinery to produce more copies of itself, before breaking out of the cell again and killing it in the process.
All vaccines work according to the same basic principle. They present part or all of the pathogen to the human immune system, usually in the form of an injection and at a low dose, to prompt the system to produce antibodies to the pathogen. Antibodies are a kind of immune memory which, having been elicited once, can be quickly mobilised again if the person is exposed to the virus in its natural form.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/06/when-will-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready

What makes you think a vaccine won't be effective?

Early reports are very promising with the vaccines triggering a strong immune response. Phase 2 trials are well underway and phase 3 will be shortened for release of a vax in the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/n...vaccine-tracker-how-close-are-we-to-a-vaccine

SARS-CoV-2 shares between 80% and 90% of its genetic material with the virus that caused SARS – hence its name. Both consist of a strip of RNA enclosed in a fatty shell through which protrude many protein spikes. The spikes lock on to receptors on the surface of cells lining the human lung – the same type of receptor in both cases – allowing the virus to break into the cell. Once inside, it hijacks the cell’s reproductive machinery to produce more copies of itself, before breaking out of the cell again and killing it in the process.
All vaccines work according to the same basic principle. They present part or all of the pathogen to the human immune system, usually in the form of an injection and at a low dose, to prompt the system to produce antibodies to the pathogen. Antibodies are a kind of immune memory which, having been elicited once, can be quickly mobilised again if the person is exposed to the virus in its natural form.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/06/when-will-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready

I think that like other vaccines for respiratory viruses it will be effective for some but not all. They are basically guessing which way the virus will evolve, or what strains of it they are targeting. Maybe this one mutates faster or slower than others, who knows. I’m not expecting anything greater than 70 percent effective. It’ll be a great thing for people who are vulnerable, but anymore foolproof than the flu vaccine? I dunno that’s a pretty high bar.

I think that like other vaccines for respiratory viruses it will be effective for some but not all. They are basically guessing which way the virus will evolve, or what strains of it they are targeting. Maybe this one mutates faster or slower than others, who knows. I’m not expecting anything greater than 70 percent effective. It’ll be a great thing for people who are vulnerable, but anymore foolproof than the flu vaccine? I dunno that’s a pretty high bar.

I think you should read the links I provided. Strains don't matter with coronaviruses. It's the attachment site that matters and they remain the same in different strains of coronavirus.

This vax, I've read, should be far better than the influenza vax bc corona elicits stronger immunity.

So Pats get another 1.3 in cap room. If I read rules right his salary won’t count towards the season.

So Pats get another 1.3 in cap room. If I read rules right his salary won’t count towards the season.

$1.3M for Vitale and $6.9M for Cannon. Pats cap is $14.2M now. Have to think BB will sign an OT.

$1.3M for Vitale and $6.9M for Cannon. Pats cap is $14.2M now. Have to think BB will sign an OT.

View attachment 104095

2nd round tender so it’d cost a late 2. But he’s young enough to be a corps piece for a while if he agrees to an extension and he’s got a full excellent year of work. Plus it hurts Pitt.

Back