The 2020 NFL Season Of COVID Gets An Asterisk

Because there’s no NFL bubble. It’s the way they and MLB should have gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, greediness might more than likely bite them in the ass.

NBA, MLS and NHL got the right idea and everything seems to be going along without any hiccups.

Just Cancel the season. That’s means no TV, Ticket or stadium sales . The NFL should cut NFL cap by over a 1/3 next year . That’s force teams to get rid of the expensive contracts some players :coffee:

I am just not sure this is going to work. I mean baseball is trying and even there people are getting it. Baseball is as separated as it gets. NFL players are practically breathing each others air. I think sports will try but at some point, they are just going to have to call it. At least thats what I think. Until there is a vaccine, this thing is the same as it was 3 months ago, so not sure why they think they can make it safe.

it's strange because sport is working over here in Europe and in NZ, Austrlia fine, albeit without the fans. I mean rugby is similar to the NFL and the leagues have been operating in Australia and NZ for months now. Soccer across Europe resumed in May-June and the leagues finished their seasons and will start again about 50 days. There will be a full rugby calendar of domestic leagues and international matches in October-December. Fiji and Japan will both be playing games against the European sides.

A recent game in Australia below, you can see the fans are spread out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx_k4u1sKLQ

it's strange because sport is working over here in Europe and in NZ, Austrlia fine, albeit without the fans. I mean rugby is similar to the NFL and the leagues have been operating in Australia and NZ for months now. Soccer across Europe resumed in May-June and the leagues finished their seasons and will start again about 50 days. There will be a full rugby calendar of domestic leagues and international matches in October-December. Fiji and Japan will both be playing games against the European sides.

A recent game in Australia below, you can see the fans are spread out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx_k4u1sKLQ

That's a really good point. And I'll add the question of NH, while apparently surrounded by death and destruction from this thing, has had extremely few cases and exceptionally low death counts.

Honest question. Why is that?

Not to mention India. Why the frack isn't that high density and massive population country devastated from it?

That's a really good point. And I'll add the question of NH, while apparently surrounded by death and destruction from this thing, has had extremely few cases and exceptionally low death counts.

Honest question. Why is that?

Not to mention India. Why the frack isn't that high density and massive population country devastated from it?

NH I’d guess just socially distant by nature. Like Vermont. And the northern mid west states. Sure there’s pockets of congestion, and one would expect spikes there. But in general.

Plus they’re healthy outdoorsy lifestyle states. I bet obesity and the like are way lower than say the south. Morbidity is definitely dependent on other contributing conditions.

India?

Who knows.

I thought that place would explode with this.

Maybe curry is a natural defense?

NH I’d guess just socially distant by nature. Like Vermont. And the northern mid west states. Sure there’s pockets of congestion, and one would expect spikes there. But in general.

Plus they’re healthy outdoorsy lifestyle states. I bet obesity and the like are way lower than say the south. Morbidity is definitely dependent on other contributing conditions.

India?

Who knows.

I thought that place would explode with this.

Maybe curry is a natural defense?

Right, but we are surrounded by 3 states and a country to our north that are pretty well shut down because of apparently "massive" scale death. 2 of the 3 states are just like NH in city to country areas. So why is NH doing so "Well"?

I mean one of the biggest hospitals in the state of NH has only found 163 cases total as of 2 days ago.

I think the right approach is to isolate regions maybe. So instead of shutting everything down, businesses, schools etc, just close the borders to your state/region to stop the virus getting in and then you can simply continue as normal. No need for people to lock themselves in their homes, no need to shut businesses and no need to stop kids going to schools and colleges.

I was talking to a work colleague based in Perth, Western Australia. The state of Western Australia is massive, about 5 times the size of Texas and they simply shut the states borders. Nobody in or out and they have 5 active, that's it. Life continued as normal, the critical mines stayed open, schools, colleges, you name it. There was no change to daily life.

Whereas Melbourne on the other side of Australia has now had to shut the city and region entirely as cases there surged because they allowed flights in from China again a number of weeks ago.

I think the right approach is to isolate regions maybe.

Yeah, I can understand that, but we did no such thing in NH as we are a tourist driven economy to a large degree.

We currently have more visitors from the affected states here than the population, most likely. Hell, we have a full blown NASCAR race coming up. The state is mostly open and has barely been shut down at all.

Something seems up.

So Bills had to send their rookies home due to there being five rookies infected with COVID. I'm starting to believe that if they don't implement a bubble and make the necessary adjustments, this season won't happen.

Yeah, I can understand that, but we did no such thing in NH as we are a tourist driven economy to a large degree.

We currently have more visitors from the affected states here than the population, most likely. Hell, we have a full blown NASCAR race coming up. The state is mostly open and has barely been shut down at all.

Something seems up.

NH’s own experts attribute it to population density. The worst hit cases in MA are dense and not very well educated either.
Here’s a dated yet interesting read:

https://www.unionleader.com/news/he...cle_c3c6abae-eba3-5519-b4bd-2c3168ead284.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I mean the NFL is one thing, but I see some tennis players now pulling out of the US Open???? Tennis???

Joel Corry@corryjoel· 50m
2020 bonus proration will be moved to 2021 for contracts tolling with opt outs. This is subject to final agreement between the NFLPA/NFL. A league memo addresses this issue.

If it happens, the Pats cap space would go up again by $9.2M this year to somewhere around $34M. Lots BB could do with that now if he chooses but he could also roll it into next year.

Joel Corry@corryjoel· 50m
2020 bonus proration will be moved to 2021 for contracts tolling with opt outs. This is subject to final agreement between the NFLPA/NFL. A league memo addresses this issue.

If it happens, the Pats cap space would go up again by $9.2M this year to somewhere around $34M. Lots BB could do with that now if he chooses but he could also roll it into next year.

Unless there is something spectacular that I'm not seeing out there somewhere I say roll it over, run with what we got and fight another day.

I don't mean that we have no shot this year. Just that I think the team building period may be almost complete.

Temporary COVID IR

No one has talked about Temporary Covid IR but so far 24 NFL teams have placed 66 players on the list in the last week. 8 teams haven't had to, the Pats being 1 of the 8. 14 players were added to the list yesterday. Once a positive test comes up that player goes on Covid IR and is immediately quarantined for 3 wks. Every player he's been in contact with will be quarantined until tested and positives will also be quarantined and all in contact with those positives will be tested frequently as well. Those testing negative will be tested frequently and some clubs may put them all on Covid IR for 1, 2 or even 3 weeks before letting them rejoin the team practices. It's a snowball effect. I don't have any idea how this season will happen. Look at the Marlins, the entire team is being quarantined in a hotel and can't leave to go home. 5-6 MLB teams have been shutdown & can't play this weekend. This could be a nightmare with 9 NFL teams in states where Covid is hitting hardest right now.

No one has talked about Temporary Covid IR but so far 24 NFL teams have placed 66 players on the list in the last week. 8 teams haven't had to, the Pats being 1 of the 8. 14 players were added to the list yesterday. Once a positive test comes up that player goes on Covid IR and is immediately quarantined for 3 wks. Every player he's been in contact with will be quarantined until tested and positives will also be quarantined and all in contact with those positives will be tested frequently as well. Those testing negative will be tested frequently and some clubs may put them all on Covid IR for 1, 2 or even 3 weeks before letting them rejoin the team practices. It's a snowball effect. I don't have any idea how this season will happen. Look at the Marlins, the entire team is being quarantined in a hotel and can't leave to go home. 5-6 MLB teams have been shutdown & can't play this weekend. This could be a nightmare with 9 NFL teams in states where Covid is hitting hardest right now.

marshawn lynch mode cancel the season

The NFL is pushing the NFLPA for a side agreement on opt outs since a full agreement won't be reached very soon. The NFL wants opt out options to end by Wednesday (originally supposed to be by Aug. 3, 4PM) even if a full agreement on COVID policies is not signed. The Pats still lead the NFL in opt outs and BB is supportive of those players.

In other news, QB Matthew Stafford tested + and he's now in a 3 week quarantine period.

Back