The 2020 NFL Season Of COVID Gets An Asterisk

Oh damn, Donta Hightower is sitting out the season! Worried about his first child...

I vote for a 5 Round Single Elimination Tournament for the season. Everyone gets to watch a little football we minimize the chance of killing any players, everybody wins.

10 0pt-outs so far in the NFL and 5 are Patriots.

Cap Space=$24,045,302@patscap· 1h
After accounting for opt-outs of Hightower, Bolden, Cannon, Najee Toran and Danny Vitale, 5 guaranteed salaries added to the Patriots dead money Hastings re-signing

Plenty of money to maneuver if BB doesn't think Brandon Copeland, Josh Uche and Anfernee Jennings can do the job at LB and if Cajuste can't cut it at RT.

I know this, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have at GM right now than BB.

Another question is the contracts of these players. Hightower's, for example, will toll to next year and from what I can see it's guaranteed. He was due to be a FA after this season but now his contract is good til after 2021. It's not so impt for him since he was going to be extended anyway but for the others, BB may have been counting on their contracts to end.

We'll see if it becomes impt when the time comes.

10 0pt-outs so far in the NFL and 5 are Patriots.

Cap Space=$24,045,302@patscap· 1h
After accounting for opt-outs of Hightower, Bolden, Cannon, Najee Toran and Danny Vitale, 5 guaranteed salaries added to the Patriots dead money Hastings re-signing

Plenty of money to maneuver if BB doesn't think Brandon Copeland, Josh Uche and Anfernee Jennings can do the job at LB and if Cajuste can't cut it at RT.

I know this, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have at GM right now than BB.

Bentley's snaps will go up dramatically. He played pretty well last year as a backup.

ILB:
Ja’Whaun Bentley
Cassh Maluia
De’Jon Harris
Terez Hall

OLB/EDGE:
John Simon
Chase Winovich
Josh Uche
Anfernee Jennings
Brandon Copeland

Copeland can also move to ILB.

Opt Out Tracker
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1991864?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Lots more will be added to this list.

Here is the full list of players who have elected to sit out thus far:
Player Pos. Team De'Anthony Thomas WR/KR Baltimore Ravens Andre Smith * OT Baltimore Ravens Eddie Goldman* DT Chicago Bears Maurice Canady CB Dallas Cowboys Stephen Guidry * WR Dallas Cowboys Kyle Peko* DT Denver Broncos Eddie Vanderdoes * DT Houston Texans Laurent Duvernay-Tardif G Kansas City Chiefs Dont'a Hightower LB New England Patriots Marcus Cannon OT New England Patriots Brandon Bolden * RB New England Patriots Dan Vitale FB New England Patriots Najee Toran OL New England Patriots Chance Warmack G Seattle Seahawks Caleb Brantley DT Washington Football Team

Another question is the contracts of these players. Hightower's, for example, will toll to next year and from what I can see it's guaranteed. He was due to be a FA after this season but now his contract is good til after 2021. It's not so impt for him since he was going to be extended anyway but for the others, BB may have been counting on their contracts to end.

We'll see if it becomes impt when the time comes.

I hope he rolls over most of it. All these guys will hit the cap in 2021.

Just saw that Chung opted out. Another guy like Hightower that could use a year off to heal and play much better n 2021

And just like that, in a matter of hours, the COVID season has gone from one where mid- to late-round rookies were going to have a uphill battle to claim a roster spot and UDFAs had virtually no shot, to a season of great opportunity for both groups.

Half the Marlins now have it. They're saying this could cast serious doubts on the NFL's ability to play a season.

NFL on ESPN @ESPNNFL
10m
The Miami Marlins' coronavirus outbreak in MLB has put the NFL's plan for the 2020 season further into question.

�� @SeifertESPN with more: es.pn/3f95jb4

Half the Marlins now have it. They're saying this could cast serious doubts on the NFL's ability to play a season.

The elephant in the room that the media isn't talking about is how many are actually sick?

The elephant in the room that the media isn't talking about is how many are actually sick?

Agree that it's good to look beyond the obvious and not get locked into any one dogma.

In that vein, one of the fears is not just the players afraid for themselves, but their families who are at risk? This might be a factor in the players' critical thinking process.

At this point I don't care if they cancel the season. I still have to drive to work to pay my bills.

Haven't stopped people from online ordering . I'm now working 6am to 5:30pm for 3 days of my shifts

I wish the contracts didn't toll. If you opt out, I can respect that but the contract for this year should void. If you have multiple years left, you just start up with the 2021 contract next year. After all they are not getting any younger.

Back