The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

BB on this year's QB class during his pre-draft video conference yesterday.

“As always, there are some interesting players. I think we talked earlier about the draft process. Some players didn't play. Some players played a full season. “It’s an interesting class. It's an interesting group of guys. Some are very strong in some skills. Some seem very strong in other skills. It’s definitely an interesting group.”

Under enthusiastic or just BB doing BB? I think mostly BB doing BB with some ho hum mixed in.

BB on this year's QB class during his pre-draft video conference yesterday.

“As always, there are some interesting players. I think we talked earlier about the draft process. Some players didn't play. Some players played a full season. “It’s an interesting class. It's an interesting group of guys. Some are very strong in some skills. Some seem very strong in other skills. It’s definitely an interesting group.”

Under enthusiastic or just BB doing BB? I think mostly BB doing BB with some ho hum mixed in.
I think a little of both. I don't think Bill gets that jazzed about any rookies especially first round picks. I also don't think he is all impressed with this class of QBs because if we are all honest, many of them have been overhyped and some have barely played more than a season. That being said, I still want one of them. I am glad the Pats are taking a more collaborative approach to the draft as hopefully some of the other guys can weigh in with Bill not just on QB but the other skill positions as well.

BTW, Happy Birthday Bill! 69. Somewhere Gronk is giggling. LOL

Last edited:
If I'm hearing right, this draft is loaded with talent at both tackle and WR

My understanding is that offensive line in round one has by far the best hit rate of any position. Something along the lines of 80%. But that might have to do with how it's measured, with starts being the driving factor.
Or maybe the first round is over dedicated to WR and QB and Edge guys and corners, etc so those looking for OL help have more of the best to choose from cause there kinda ignored??? Just a thought/Q.

Cheers
If the Jets were smart...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I see Belichick is in mid-season form already.

Or maybe the first round is over dedicated to WR and QB and Edge guys and corners, etc so those looking for OL help have more of the best to choose from cause there kinda ignored??? Just a thought/Q.

Cheers

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Not for OT at least. With apologies for forgetting how to format a table here, I found this:
Here's a chart I compiled in 2013 showing the currently active players at each position by the level they were drafted. The first number shows how often a player from that position was drafted in the top three picks of the draft related to how many players there are from that position in the league. The second number shows that frequency for the entire first round. And the third number shows the correlation between perceived performance and round selected.

Position Top 3 Picks First Round Level of Play per Pick
QB 14.7 28.4 0.40
HB 2.0 12.8 0.57
FB 0.0 0.0 0.00
TE 0.0 6.7 0.57
WR 1.1 11.9 0.56
C 0.0 7.5 0.46
G 0.0 8.8 0.48
T 3.3 22.0 0.66
P 0.0 0.0 0.04
K 0.0 2.5 0.26
DE 2.7 20.7 0.56
DT 2.2 12.6 0.45
ILB 0.0 6.2 0.64
OLB 0.6 19.4 0.57
CB 0.0 15.4 0.48
S 0.0 10.9 0.57

The difference in correlation between quarterbacks and offensive tackles, for example, is .40 versus .66. This means drafting a tackle in a higher round is much more reliable than drafting a quarterback. Yet teams keep using their top picks to draft quarterbacks. That underscores the importance of the quarterback position. You can't survive in the league without one, so even though it's harder to scout that position than any other, you keep trying.
OT and ILB stand out in terms of the ratio he's calling out here...but he doesn't spell out what "perceived performance" is, either. So maybe it's all useless. That said, this does basically jibe with (my) intuition about success ratios of first round picks. You take a 1st round OT, and even if he's not Tony Boselli he's probably starting for at least half a decade. You take a QB in round 1...much more boom or bust, with a lot fewer booms.

One place that surprised me, BTW, was interior OL. I would have thought that would be up there with the OT. I wonder if scouting the interior is just that much harder, or what.

How many draft picks can we really get value out of this year? Don't we already have something like 70+ players under contract?

Not for OT at least. With apologies for forgetting how to format a table here, I found this:
OT and ILB stand out in terms of the ratio he's calling out here...but he doesn't spell out what "perceived performance" is, either. So maybe it's all useless. That said, this does basically jibe with (my) intuition about success ratios of first round picks. You take a 1st round OT, and even if he's not Tony Boselli he's probably starting for at least half a decade. You take a QB in round 1...much more boom or bust, with a lot fewer booms.

One place that surprised me, BTW, was interior OL. I would have thought that would be up there with the OT. I wonder if scouting the interior is just that much harder, or what.
Thanks, Flag. I was always to lazy to do my own HW. :rofl:

Since we resigned Andrews and Karras, I'm not expecting a Center, necessarily, but it looks to me like this is the best year for high-level Centers in
a while. Still, anytime you can get a guy that can play both you are helping your team.

I expect Creed Humphrey, Josh Myers and Landon Dickerson to all be off the board by 50 or so and Hill wouldn't have been far behind them but he just had
knee surgery in December so he'll have to get due diligence from the Doctors.

Whenever I watched Oklahoma over the last few years I tended to focus on Humphrey. He's a physical freak to me and didn't give up a sack for the last two years. He's left-handed, though,
and I don't know if that'll scare some teams off. I don't even remember seeing a lefty Center in the NFL, but outside of that he's maybe the best Center prospect I've ever seen.

I want to talk about G Trey Smith of Tennessee later on but I want to watch him a bit more. The guy appears to be a pancake machine.
Interesting about the left handed thing. Well, it's Interesting to me because I'm very strongly left handed.

The late (RIP) coach of the team for whom I do stats taught me a lot about the nuts and bolts of the game - the stuff you don't pick up from TV etc.

He pointed out that left handed passes take a different path through the air and are tricky for WRs to get used to.

I suspect the same is true of left handed centres, as the ball would be transferred slightly differently to the QB. I can't imagine it matters for shotgun, though.

Back