The 2023 Mock Draft Thread

I'm not a huge fan of Lazar's last mock before the draft tomorrow night.
I give it a C.

My biggest issue is, is Wilson starting game 1? If not I don't like the pick. If he is, I'm fine with it. The team needs real deal difference makers, and there aren't many of them this draft, if you have a chance at one I think you have to do it, even if it isn't the number one need on fans boards.

I have been leaning OT and CB as the best ways to help this team, but there is something to be said that we need a type of corner (big/fast) more than a #1 lockdown, and OT maybe a position we can get away with for a year while getting a lower pick ready...maybe.

If a Blue chip falls to 14 I think you have to take him, but I'd also want OT and CB on day two. As far as Mingo goes, no thanks.

My biggest issue is, is Wilson starting game 1? If not I don't like the pick. If he is, I'm fine with it. The team needs real deal difference makers, and there aren't many of them this draft, if you have a chance at one I think you have to do it, even if it isn't the number one need on fans boards.

I have been leaning OT and CB as the best ways to help this team, but there is something to be said that we need a type of corner (big/fast) more than a #1 lockdown, and OT maybe a position we can get away with for a year while getting a lower pick ready...maybe.

If a Blue chip falls to 14 I think you have to take him, but I'd also want OT and CB on day two. As far as Mingo goes, no thanks.

I'm not a fan of Mingo either and I agree with your post.

I'm not a huge fan of Lazar's last mock before the draft tomorrow night.
I give it a C.

I'm not either, but some of his core points have occurred to me, although not quite in the way he details.

The trade up in the 1st does make some sense in a draft where a lot of teams are rumored to be looking for trade downs. The 11 total picks are a lot of
rookies to add to the current batch, so I'm with him there, but I don't love the Tyree Wilson selection on the surface. Yes, Deatrich Wise finally had a
really good season and we don't have anybody else like him on the roster -- so I can see the point that he fits, but I'd rather address a more pressing need if
we're going to use that much ammo to move up.

Lazar, like some of us, is skeptical that we would use a high pick on Bijan Robinson and just because Pierre Strong didn't do much as rookie doesn't mean he
isn't a guy that can break out and help us a lot as a some bright flashes indicated. It's the same deal with Kevin Harris, who seems to have generated a "meh", but we
doubled up on those guys for a reason and the list of RBs who had to percolate for a while to play here is pretty long. I can't see McIntosh being necessary or giving
us anything we didn't already have.

Same deal with OT. I don't like the group we have now, but admit that I don't know Cal Anderson at all and don't trust Trent as I've mentioned several times. I want
to believe Rieff can be good for us, but it's a stretch. In any case, I'm at least impressed with Salivieri as a developmental guy, but, for once, I'd like to draft a top guy
and get immediate benefits instead of trusting the bargain bin vets to patch up the levee. And we're double-dipping with Steen. Why not put that ammo in one guy
that would be better than either? Or maybe I'm just bitter because Lazar didn't project my Official 2023 binkie Darnell Wright to be the answer to our prayers or at
least a biggish, flashy corner.

I'd also prefer a more straightforward draft without the dizzying trades that make it harder to distinguish what the hell is going on. It feels like a smoke screen to
cover up misdeeds. It doesn't always have to be confusing, does it? Or do we have to wait for weeks of forensic analysis to determine that Bill make 10 trades and
gained a bunch of value, but ended up with guys that don't really make sense.

I do like Shoonmaker at that slot, Forsyth is a perfect swing guy who is a natural C to develop behind Andrews and Turk fills a glaring need. No issues with those picks
at all.

This has been a particularly tough year to figure out what we'll do, but I give Lazar credit for creative thinking. I'll be he doesn't love his own Draft but had to put something
plausible out there before it was too late. It's not a Wow! mock yet might be closer to the end result than we want to believe.

We'll see how it goes. (snork)

I don't like Lazar's early draft, but I like it late.

If they trade up, Wilson is the most likely target. The others are Gonzalez & Witherspoon if they've really fallen in love with one guy specifically, but I can't buy that in a CB class with this much depth one guy has separated himself by that much from a guy you could get without trading up.

The FA period was very deliberate, to put the Patriots in a position where they could field a legit team at all positions before the draft. They are set up to maximize value, which doesn't mean trading up in a draft with so much level depth unless a team is really desperate to trade down.

This is a red chip draft. If we trade up, I want it to be for future picks and very late picks, not sacrificing value in the range of picks 20-80, and not in the 20-30 picks after that where you catch the fallers from the top 75 or so players.

I'm not either, but some of his core points have occurred to me, although not quite in the way he details.

The trade up in the 1st does make some sense in a draft where a lot of teams are rumored to be looking for trade downs. The 11 total picks are a lot of
rookies to add to the current batch, so I'm with him there, but I don't love the Tyree Wilson selection on the surface. Yes, Deatrich Wise finally had a
really good season and we don't have anybody else like him on the roster -- so I can see the point that he fits, but I'd rather address a more pressing need if
we're going to use that much ammo to move up.

Same deal with OT. I don't like the group we have now, but admit that I don't know Cal Anderson at all and don't trust Trent as I've mentioned several times. I want
to believe Rieff can be good for us, but it's a stretch. In any case, I'm at least impressed with Salivieri as a developmental guy, but, for once, I'd like to draft a top guy
and get immediate benefits instead of trusting the bargain bin vets to patch up the levee.
And we're double-dipping with Steen. Why not put that ammo in one guy
that would be better than either? Or maybe I'm just bitter because Lazar didn't project my Official 2023 binkie Darnell Wright to be the answer to our prayers or at
least a biggish, flashy corner.

I do like Schoonmaker at that slot, Forsyth is a perfect swing guy who is a natural C to develop behind Andrews and Turk fills a glaring need. No issues with those picks
at all.

This has been a particularly tough year to figure out what we'll do, but I give Lazar credit for creative thinking. I'll be he doesn't love his own Draft but had to put something
plausible out there before it was too late. It's not a Wow! mock yet might be closer to the end result than we want to believe.

We'll see how it goes. (snork)

I don't like Lazar's early draft, but I like it late.

If they trade up, Wilson is the most likely target. The others are Gonzalez & Witherspoon if they've really fallen in love with one guy specifically, but I can't buy that in a CB class with this much depth one guy has separated himself by that much from a guy you could get without trading up.

The FA period was very deliberate, to put the Patriots in a position where they could field a legit team at all positions before the draft. They are set up to maximize value, which doesn't mean trading up in a draft with so much level depth unless a team is really desperate to trade down.

This is a red chip draft. If we trade up, I want it to be for future picks and very late picks, not sacrificing value in the range of picks 20-80, and not in the 20-30 picks after that where you catch the fallers from the top 75 or so players.

BB did a good job of filling holes with needs in FA but it's so obvious to me that our most glaring hole unfilled in FA is a CB who can cover the tall receivers.
Within our own division we face 3 pretty damn good QBs who can sling it to some pretty damn good receivers. Winning the division is job one.

To Lazar, an EDGE rusher is understandable since our current EDGE rushers have short contracts. Thinking for the future and all that. The problem with that thinking is it neglects that most
of our contracts throughout the team have short contracts (that's another story for another day). I don't see the need to shore up a current position of strength while the CB cupboard goes empty of anyone who can dependably defend a tall, fast WR. We need that guy.

I agree that BB used FA deliberately. That's what he does every year to set himself up to pick the BPA in the draft. The early part of the draft is the expensive part of the draft in terms of draft capital. Whether they trade down from 14 or not, the Pats have to hit on their first 2 picks with players who either have an immediate impact or who they expect to have long productive careers here.

The Pats invest a lot of money in the draft process. I'll be really disappointed if Lazar's draft is our end result when 30 people here could do better.

I have a crush,,
CB1 is Diante Banks from Maryland. Crushes usually get destroyed.

Have a couple of hunches,
They want an OT that can move in coordination with Cole Strange, can deal with the Von Millers, which puts Oklahoma's Harrison high on their board (and Wanya Miller). Plus they have had good luck with Okies.

QB DTR will be drafted by the Pats. BB has always wanted a mobile QB. DTR has played a lot of football, at least 3 years as a starter. DTR was at the Shrine Bowl.

Hope they pick up Quan Martin.

So, I've been struggling to do a realistic mock this year and was frustrated with matching our slots with need AND good prospects. Until I hit on this
one thanks to a simulator (sportskeeda) that had a ludicrously poor database which helped me to have the greatest draft in the history of the franchise. It
didn't hurt that desperate teams threw sweet deals which I shrewdly sorted through to get my guys and address almost every need including two double-dips
at OT and WR. I've included some comments, but this is a feel-good exercise

NFL-team-logo
Darnell Wright OT Tennessee

Gollum had his "precious" and I have my binkie in Wright. I feel certain that he will be a plug n' play guy as a rookie who will end
up being a multiple pro bowl caliber player before long. Pro comp: Christian Darrisaw.

NFL-team-logo
Cedric Tillman WR Tennessee

I panicked here to get a WR with size. I hadn't yet figured out just how bad their rankings were, but he does have many of the
attributes that made N'Keal a 1st rounder. My worst pick, but he won't seem as bad as some of the real moves we'll likely see.

NFL-team-logo
Luke Musgrave TE Oregon

I'm double-dipping Ducks. He'll be a weapon and maybe we need a better athlete with receiving skill at that position. I don't care
that he isn't considered a great blocker. Give our QB, whoever that is, a viable outlet to force people out of the box.

NFL-team-logo
Jahmyr Gibbs RB Alabama

What is Gibbs doing here? That's what I wanted to know. I didn't hesitate to add a weapon like him. I think he might have a better
NFL career than Bijan. Very, very fast and could be a James White replacement-- only better

NFL-team-logo
Julius Brents CB Kansas

Corner with size? Check.

NFL-team-logo
Jonathan Mingo WR Ole Miss

WR with size? Check. Now I wish I had gone in a different direction than Tillman.

NFL-team-logo
Jaquelin Roy DT LSU

We apparently like him and Lawrence Guy isn't getting any younger

NFL-team-logo
McClendon Curtis OG Chattanooga

Now we have a pair of moccasins. I think this guy could be an Onwenu type of sleeper. I loved the way he plays.

NFL-team-logo
Michael Turk P Oklahoma

Another problem solved. Huge guy with a huge leg. Didn't want to wait on him since things were going well.

NFL-team-logo
Alex Forsyth OC Oregon

So, he can't jump. This guys game is advanced. His film stoning Jalen Carter and the fact that his coaches let
him change plays at the LOS told me that our days of watching James Ferentz and Kody Russer are over. Versatile enough
to fill in and eventually take over for Andrews. And that could be sooner than people think. The one guy I feel sure we'll get.

NFL-team-logo
Nick Saldiveri OG Old Dominion

He's really a tackle and doesn't belong at 192, so I'm sorry Bill wasted money on bargain-bin vets, But.....you're welcome.

NFL-team-logo
Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green

Best player available. Big, tough guy who should make it in the League.

I have a crush,,
CB1 is Diante Banks from Maryland. Crushes usually get destroyed.

Have a couple of hunches,
They want an OT that can move in coordination with Cole Strange, can deal with the Von Millers, which puts Oklahoma's Harrison high on their board (and Wanya Miller). Plus they have had good luck with Okies.

QB DTR will be drafted by the Pats. BB has always wanted a mobile QB. DTR has played a lot of football, at least 3 years as a starter. DTR was at the Shrine Bowl.

Hope they pick up Quan Martin.

You might be right and he makes a hell of a lot more sense than signing McSorely as our 3rd QB. I think he's got to be thought of as a camp arm.

While I think Zappe did very well for himself and is pretty much ideal as a developing backup with potential, it's not hard to see using DTR situationally
to take advantage of his speed while he tries to get a toehold in the League. It's a wrinkle people don't expect from us and would be interesting to watch.

I could see us keeping 3 guys, but not McSorley even though he is similar in size and a mobile type. DTR is at a different, better level who could
maybe develop into a starter.

The other guy who would provide the same sort of DTR profile is Max Duggan. Nobody is talking about him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is on our list. He's
a fine runner who is as tough as a week-old bagel and the rarest breed of leader and winner. Off the charts intangibles. He might be a good enough passer, too,
although that is widely questioned. Lots of lesser prospects had that same rep before they dispelled it.

I'd bet Bill loves him, but I do wish I'd added either of them to my final mock. It'll be interesting to see how many Shrine Bowlers we end up drafting. Gotta be at
least one.

So, I've been struggling to do a realistic mock this year and was frustrated with matching our slots with need AND good prospects. Until I hit on this
one thanks to a simulator (sportskeeda) that had a ludicrously poor database which helped me to have the greatest draft in the history of the franchise. It
didn't hurt that desperate teams threw sweet deals which I shrewdly sorted through to get my guys and address almost every need including two double-dips
at OT and WR. I've included some comments, but this is a feel-good exercise

NFL-team-logo
Darnell Wright OT Tennessee

Gollum had his "precious" and I have my binkie in Wright. I feel certain that he will be a plug n' play guy as a rookie who will end
up being a multiple pro bowl caliber player before long. Pro comp: Christian Darrisaw.

NFL-team-logo
Cedric Tillman WR Tennessee

I panicked here to get a WR with size. I hadn't yet figured out just how bad their rankings were, but he does have many of the
attributes that made N'Keal a 1st rounder. My worst pick, but he won't seem as bad as some of the real moves we'll likely see.

NFL-team-logo
Luke Musgrave TE Oregon

I'm double-dipping Ducks. He'll be a weapon and maybe we need a better athlete with receiving skill at that position. I don't care
that he isn't considered a great blocker. Give our QB, whoever that is, a viable outlet to force people out of the box.

NFL-team-logo
Jahmyr Gibbs RB Alabama

What is Gibbs doing here? That's what I wanted to know. I didn't hesitate to add a weapon like him. I think he might have a better
NFL career than Bijan. Very, very fast and could be a James White replacement-- only better

NFL-team-logo
Julius Brents CB Kansas

Corner with size? Check.

NFL-team-logo
Jonathan Mingo WR Ole Miss

WR with size? Check. Now I wish I had gone in a different direction than Tillman.

NFL-team-logo
Jaquelin Roy DT LSU

We apparently like him and Lawrence Guy isn't getting any younger

NFL-team-logo
McClendon Curtis OG Chattanooga

Now we have a pair of moccasins. I think this guy could be an Onwenu type of sleeper. I loved the way he plays.

NFL-team-logo
Michael Turk P Oklahoma

Another problem solved. Huge guy with a huge leg. Didn't want to wait on him since things were going well.

NFL-team-logo
Alex Forsyth OC Oregon

So, he can't jump. This guys game is advanced. His film stoning Jalen Carter and the fact that his coaches let
him change plays at the LOS told me that our days of watching James Ferentz and Kody Russer are over. Versatile enough
to fill in and eventually take over for Andrews. And that could be sooner than people think. The one guy I feel sure we'll get.

NFL-team-logo
Nick Saldiveri OG Old Dominion

He's really a tackle and doesn't belong at 192, so I'm sorry Bill wasted money on bargain-bin vets, But.....you're welcome.

NFL-team-logo
Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green

Best player available. Big, tough guy who should make it in the League.

Tillman should be better than Mingo (hands). I'd have taken Mims there if he was available.

NFL fandom/fantasy football/mock drafts/buying NFL merch = LARPing on a whole 'notha level. :coffee:

Also, all sports in general are the same thing...but, NFL is king in USA INC.

Back