The 2024 Draft

Fair enough. People massively dislike it, but when did Burrow go from pretty good to really, really good? Taking Chase with the 5th pick. How did they do that? They had a losing season after they had their QB. Like it or not, thats the best way to get better quick, have a down season or two, rip the bandaid off, draft really really well and voila...
Yes. You're actually making my point.

If you have Mayfield here, and get Harrison, the chances for faster success are much higher than Bridge QB - Draft a QB, hope for the best. Also for the record, Mayfield =/= Wilson or Brissett, or anyone else of that ilk.

Chase is a generational WR. It just so happened Burrow had 2 generational WRs on his team at LSU, which is when he won the Heisman and the Natty. Burrow got hurt his rookie year, that's why he was 'pretty good' his rookie year. When he came out healthy in year two, he had Chase (generational), Higgins (Pro Bowl/All-Pro type) and Boyd (a pro bowler on any other team), ready to go.

Say you draft Jayden Daniels. Some people think he's got a ceiling, I think he's another product of a throw-sideways-to-athletes QB who can run (and who are a dime a dozen) - no matter what you think, he's either sitting year 1, or taking a beating year 1 throwing to Juju and Lavishka Shenault, or whatever other WR they pay way too much money to in FA.

This is one of those rare cases where the son plays a lot like his father did.
Everything Harrison does is effortless. It doesn't look spectacular because it doesn't need to, to be effective. Body control, footwork, route-running, short-area explosiveness. That's how his dad HandCannon got into the Hall.

If he's there at 3, the Patriots damned well better take him.

I did about 20 mock drafts today using PFF. Every time I took MHJ at 3 I was left with a choice of JJ McCarthy or Bo Nix as QB with my 2nd pick. Then I had to trade up
to get a reasonably good OT with the 3rd pick.

That changes if the Pats are able to get a veteran FA QB such as Baker Mayfield or even Brissett. In that case I'm not pressed to draft either QB & can draft an OT with my 2nd pick
but he's not a top 5 guy but he's a pretty good OT. Now we're cooking with gas.

Ftr, Daniels goes in the early 20s in those drafts although one time the Jets took him at 10.

I did about 20 mock drafts today using PFF. Every time I took MHJ at 3 I was left with a choice of JJ McCarthy or Bo Nix as QB with my 2nd pick. Then I had to trade up
to get a reasonably good OT with the 3rd pick.

That changes if the Pats are able to get a veteran FA QB such as Baker Mayfield or even Brissett. In that case I'm not pressed to draft either QB & can draft an OT with my 2nd pick
but he's not a top 5 guy but he's a pretty good OT. Now we're cooking with gas.

Ftr, Daniels goes in the early 20s in those drafts although one time the Jets took him at 10.
Mayfield yes, Brissett no, Brissett's the guy you sign if you're drafting a project QB. Mayfield's the guy you get if you're drafting Marvin Harrison.

I mean, if you're committed to getting a QB in this draft (which, outside of Williams, I'm not really super-keen on), you can get Penix in the second and let him sit. Or your boy Bo Nix. :coffee:

Mayfield yes, Brissett no, Brissett's the guy you sign if you're drafting a project QB. Mayfield's the guy you get if you're drafting Marvin Harrison.

I mean, if you're committed to getting a QB in this draft (which, outside of Williams, I'm not really super-keen on), you can get Penix in the second and let him sit. Or your boy Bo Nix. :coffee:

Oh, no, no, no. Bo Nix has never been my boy.

You're right, he's not Randy Moss. He's Marvin Harrison with a Jerry Rice ceiling - he's also the same height as Moss.

Nah. You don't pass on Jerry Rice 2.0. Imagine if Belichick did that - we'd be hearing about it for the next 15 years. The Patriots already passed on Jerry Rice once, I'd rather they didn't do it again.
Yeah, but we did get Trevor Matich out of the deal if memory serves. :celebrate:

Miami
Safety Kamren Kinchens and defensive tackle Leonard Taylor are projected as first-round draft picks for the 2024 NFL Draft according to Pro Football Focus.

Four other Hurricanes, offensive lineman Zion Nelson (No. 34), defensive end Akheem Mesidor (No. 60), quarterback Tyler Van Dyke (No. 74) and safety James Williams (No. 84) are considered top-100 draft prospects, which pegs them in the first three rounds.
Kinchens has a RAS score of 2.11 out of 10.0 per Lazar. So if you are interested he may drop in the draft.

Van Dyke went back to school, maybe Wisconsin.

Kinchens has a RAS score of 2.11 out of 10.0 per Lazar. So if you are interested he may drop in the draft.

Van Dyke went back to school, maybe Wisconsin.

Scouts are already revisiting tape on Kinchens. Interestingly, Pats personnel guy Alonzo Highsmith has a good relationship with Kinchens. You don't suppose his poor 40 was rigged...nah, I guess not.

I'm happy to learn the Pats have met with some legit WRs.

Mich. Roman Wilson, S. Car. Xavier Legette and LSU Brian Thomas (day 3).

I'm happy to learn the Pats have met with some legit WRs.

Mich. Roman Wilson, S. Car. Xavier Legette and LSU Brian Thomas (day 3).
Meeting ain't signing. I'll hold my props until I learn they didn't use their second round pick on someone from the Akron State Zips.

Scouts are already revisiting tape on Kinchens. Interestingly, Pats personnel guy Alonzo Highsmith has a good relationship with Kinchens. You don't suppose his poor 40 was rigged...nah, I guess not.
I think Highsmith being here means there's zero chance we're taking Kinchens with any sort of premium pick. If he drops to Day 3, perhaps.

I've said my piece on him before. Super talented and instinctive, but he plays stupid. He'll make a bone-crushing hit on a guy, but leads with his helmet, and also injures himself at least once a game, usually more.

Interestingly, I'd love him as a core special-teamer, although I have no idea when he last played special teams.

I was a fan of the guy. He won, he has a really strong arm and seems like an excellent leader but I've come off him as our answer
at the position unless the question was "what big name QB would likely still be available at 34 so we can fix something else at 3
or trade down and maybe help fix two or three things?"

Great college QB. Super productive, but he had tremendous skill guys and a really good OL with a top running game. Despite all of that, his numbers against
pressure were surprisingly bad. Practically bi-polar.

The Wolverines are going to try to get after Penix, and with good reason. He was only pressured on 26.1% of his drop-back attempts. He is 55 of 122 (45.1%) for 1,014 yards with five TDs and three interceptions when under pressure, according to PFF.

And Michigan pressured the hell out of him and won the game. Now, I don't expect our OL to stay as bad as it has been lately, but.......he's going to
face a ton of it in the NFL and the totality of this issue with him is a lot worse than just that stat. He's a pocket guy who has had multiple injuries.

He's a very different breed of cat and posted big numbers throwing downfield. Clearly, he's got a big arm with some velocity, but
he takes a while to wind up and release the ball and throws a lot of line drives. Can he layer it in between coverages? I've never
seen a guy that throws deep balls as flat as he does, but his guys were exceptional at getting open versus college DBs. He got away
with doing that.

I hope he does great in the league, but there are just too many questions for me to pin a ton of hopes on him. Of the top 6 guys I've some
to believe he would be the worst fit for what we are now and where we are trying to go.
The dew was propped up…like Mac Jones was.

I think Highsmith being here means there's zero chance we're taking Kinchens with any sort of premium pick. If he drops to Day 3, perhaps.

I've said my piece on him before. Super talented and instinctive, but he plays stupid. He'll make a bone-crushing hit on a guy, but leads with his helmet, and also injures himself at least once a game, usually more.

Interestingly, I'd love him as a core special-teamer, although I have no idea when he last played special teams.

I was jk anyway. He's not near fast enough to take over for DMac.

And if they change the KO rules to have the players line up 10 yds from each other on KOs like they're contemplating speed won't be needed for gunners and the like
on KOs in the future. We'll see more DEs and LBs instead bc they can block and tackle up close like that.

I was jk anyway. He's not near fast enough to take over for DMac.

And if they change the KO rules to have the players line up 10 yds from each other on KOs like they're contemplating speed won't be needed for gunners and the like
on KOs in the future. We'll see more DEs and LBs instead bc they can block and tackle up close like that.
Don't get me wrong, there are lots of things to like about him. But yeah, he needs the stupid coached out of him. Manny Diaz and Mario Cristobal couldn't.

Back