The AFC East Battle for Supremacy - 2020

I'm less optimistic about the Bills. Hopeful, but I don't see us being this favorite to win the Division. Miami bought a team. NE is never to be taken lightly. The Jets are, well, the Jets... Maybe with normal mini camps, etc, I'd feel better, but this year is a wait and see
As much as we disagree, if the Pats can't take the division I would rather it be the Bills.

Wade was a great D coordinator though.

Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought I recall Bill throwing shade on that in an interview. Something like dismissively saying “Look, he’s run the same defense for 30 plus years” or something like that. A tone only reserved for coaches and media he doesn’t respect. There’s not a lot of them, and you’re right, Phillips has had some impressive groups. But Bills respect level wasn’t that high.

Maybe I’m confusing them though.

Fvck. Now I know how Biden feels...

All I know is the Jets suck...the rest is anyone's guess

I for one, welcome our new Bison overlords.

1057322.jpg

They'll have to try it since our pass D is so good. Hopefully Beau Allen & Adam Butler will be better than Shelton was. Lawrence Guy and John Simon were pretty solid. Cowart should take a step forward. I think Dietrich Wise will be cut or traded before game 1.

Hightower, Bentley, Copeland and Winovich are a pretty good LB corps backed up by Shilique Calhoun, Josh Uche and Cassh. Like Dietrich Wise, I expect under-performer/oft injured Derek Rivers will be gone.

Our DBs were solid last year and got better this off season with the addition of safeties Adrian Phillips, Cody Davis and Kyle Dugger.

That's a top 5 defense right there with a very good chance to be #1 in points scored. 3-4, 4-3, 4-2, 5-2, nickel, big nickel, dime - they have the personnel to morph into whatever BB wants, often with no one coming off the field. 5 man fronts vs RPOs is not a problem at all for this D.

BB has undoubtedly learned a lot from the college game from those teams who successfully defended the better college RPO offenses. Hint: The LB/S hybrid is the key and man-to-man pass D is also important so that no defender is conflicted with run and pass responsibilities. That's why BB acquired Phillips and Dugger. If the QB has no defender to key on, the RPO gets nullified and becomes an ordinary play. BB has the athletic personnel to better defend it now.

I agree they have the makings of a good defense, the question is, with the reduction in how much time the new guys have been able to spend in the facility, how that will impact BB's ability to add wrinkles and features to the defensive game plans.

Through the years, BB has added more and more to the playbook as the season progresses. So how much, if any, will that be impacted by the unique off season?

I for one, welcome our new Bison overlords.

1057322.jpg

I agree they have the makings of a good defense, the question is, with the reduction in how much time the new guys have been able to spend in the facility, how that will impact BB's ability to add wrinkles and features to the defensive game plans.

Through the years, BB has added more and more to the playbook as the season progresses. So how much, if any, will that be impacted by the unique off season?

Well one thing, all the things he added to the play book, might have to be taken back a bit because of all the young guys that have been added. I am not sure Stidham will get the entire Brady play book dropped on him in game 1, especially with the youth at receiver too. On defense, its a pretty vet group, but there has been an injection of youth there as well, so we are going to see some early miscommunication I think.

PFF has answers if you're expecting a breakout from Darnold or Josh Allen.

If you’re looking for a previously unsuccessful quarterback to break out in their third season, the ones who have shown the ability to consistently complete passes are your likeliest candidates. Avoiding sacks and interceptions don’t seem to matter much, indicating that negative plays early in a quarterback’s career are less important.
The strong predictive power of completion percentage is relatively poor news for Darnold, whose Cmp%+ in the table below was 91 last season, and especially bad for Allen, who posted a Cmp%+ of only 80. 100 is an average NFL QB.

Player ANY/A+ (1) ANY/A+ (2) Y/A+ (2) Cmp%+ (2) TD%+ (2) INT%+ (2) Sack%+ (2)

Sam Darnold 88 90 92 91 97 90 98

Josh Allen 77 93 89 80 97 106 93

The best component for Darnold in 2019 was sack avoidance, which is negatively correlated with a breakout. For Allen, it was interception avoidance, which has little predictive power for breaking out.
Allen and Darnold aren’t doomed to failure, but their paths to success would be anomalies. Of the two, there are more potential excuses for a player like Darnold who has played with bottom-tier surrounding casts and suffered through injuries and coaching changes. The important thing to look for early this coming season is who can begin to consistently complete passes at or above a league-average rate.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-josh-allen-sam-darnold-the-elusive-third-year-breakout

Jay Glazer weighs in:

Does Josh Allen lead the Bills to the playoff? — John B.

Yes, he certainly does. I think that is a team that is going to make a huge jump this year. I think with Tom Brady gone, the Bills will be a leader in the clubhouse to win that division. I really, really like what they are doing up there.

The division is the Bills to lose, but the Dolphins will be right there with them. 2020 NFL COTY Brian Flores will have Miami in it until the very end.

Jay Glazer weighs in:

Does Josh Allen lead the Bills to the playoff? — John B.

Yes, he certainly does. I think that is a team that is going to make a huge jump this year. I think with Tom Brady gone, the Bills will be a leader in the clubhouse to win that division. I really, really like what they are doing up there.

He might not make enough mistakes to bounce them, but they’re getting knocked out in the WC again if they make it. Great defense and some nice pieces on offense. Allen, however, is cheeks.

Back