The Fitness Thread

Alk

Reaction score
I did a search because I figured at some point somebody had started a fitness thread of some kind but no luck. I honestly can't even believe that me of all people is starting one. I had been running five days a week for the past two years. I managed to lose about 35 lbs without making much of a change to my diet other than portions. I kind of hit a wall though. I hadn't lost any weight in quite some time and was getting pretty tired of running every day. My son is a workout freak and he had been trying to get me to go to the gym. I finally caved and joined a gym at the start of this year. It took me a while to work up the courage to join (this is a thing apparently) but I finally did it. He drew up a workout plan for me. I go to the gym three days a week and run two days. That first week was absolute hell but it was pretty satisfying knowing that I had done that to myself. :ROFLMAO: I still haven't lost any weight but I'm really seeing a difference in my body. I can do things now that I probably never could have done in my younger years. I have kind of made that my priority. I will sacrifice one day of running if I absolutely have to but no matter what I get those three days in. I have tried to make small changes to my diet but I still fail pretty regularly. So anyway, what's everyone else's workout regimen? Or just feel free to pop in and make fun of me. That's cool too.

I did a search because I figured at some point somebody had started a fitness thread of some kind but no luck. I honestly can't even believe that me of all people is starting one. I had been running five days a week for the past two years. I managed to lose about 35 lbs without making much of a change to my diet other than portions. I kind of hit a wall though. I hadn't lost any weight in quite some time and was getting pretty tired of running every day. My son is a workout freak and he had been trying to get me to go to the gym. I finally caved and joined a gym at the start of this year. It took me a while to work up the courage to join (this is a thing apparently) but I finally did it. He drew up a workout plan for me. I go to the gym three days a week and run two days. That first week was absolute hell but it was pretty satisfying knowing that I had done that to myself. :ROFLMAO: I still haven't lost any weight but I'm really seeing a difference in my body. I can do things now that I probably never could have done in my younger years. I have kind of made that my priority. I will sacrifice one day of running if I absolutely have to but no matter what I get those three days in. I have tried to make small changes to my diet but I still fail pretty regularly. So anyway, what's everyone else's workout regimen? Or just feel free to pop in and make fun of me. That's cool too.
And I can't believe I'm the first reply. Just leave me out of it.

Cheers, :rofl:

Variety is good to keep from "going stale" or "plateauing" on any one thing
at our age (I'm in my 50's but anything over 30's) weights are great to have in the regime. you may not have seen a change in what the scale says, but you correctly see the difference in your body. I never bother with a scale. I can tell from how I feel (and how pants are fitting) how I am doing! :)
they say weights is a good way to keep testosterone level's up, and muscle burns calories at rest, blah blah blah etc etc

My wife has an $$$ spin bike so I mix that, weights (we have some pretty good stuff at home from when my sons were going thru high school sports) and I also have done martial arts for 15+ years as a way to combat the age/desk-job effect.
For a while I was doing a "crossfit-esque" workout thing a couple of days a week at a place. I really liked it, but made a point not to discuss crossfit, due to the over enthusiastic (aka annoying) way some people doing it would go on and on about it.

as for diet, the interesting inverse effect I always have is - if I'm working out, I'll eat better, and if I'm not working out, I really don't eat that great. weird. if you are working out regularly you can get away with things on the diet side of things.

I ran to the gym and back every other day for a solid 5 years (distance varied based on how much time I had but would always be a minimum of 5 miles each time). Thought I popped a hernia during the winter just before the pandemic (thankfully I didn't but it took me a while to feel good again). By the time I was feeling good, gyms were closed. I've been slowly softening to warm butter since about that time.

as for diet, the interesting inverse effect I always have is - if I'm working out, I'll eat better, and if I'm not working out, I really don't eat that great. weird. if you are working out regularly you can get away with things on the diet side of things.
I have been trying to work on my diet. My biggest downfall was lunch. It's too easy for me to just go hit a drive thru. I have started bringing my lunch but that has consisted of turkey sandwiches on varying types of bread. I'M OVER IT!! :ROFLMAO: I'm going to take another cue from my son and try to do some meal prepping on Sunday.

I ran to the gym and back every other day for a solid 5 years (distance varied based on how much time I had but would always be a minimum of 5 miles each time). Thought I popped a hernia during the winter just before the pandemic (thankfully I didn't but it took me a while to feel good again). By the time I was feeling good, gyms were closed. I've been slowly softening to warm butter since about that time.
It's easy to fall off. Probably 10 years ago I had started trying to do some running. I was pretty consistent with it and then one day my ankle started bothering me. I immediately stopped running and never looked back. It took a long time for me to pick it back up again.

This fitness stuff, exercise as it were that you guys speak of, can it be undertaken with motorized mehinazation at prominent play by any chance?

Unneccessry manual muscle movement seems so brutish and more than a bit Flinstonesque. 🙃😆🙂💖

• Haha
Reactions: Alk
It's easy to fall off. Probably 10 years ago I had started trying to do some running. I was pretty consistent with it and then one day my ankle started bothering me. I immediately stopped running and never looked back. It took a long time for me to pick it back up again.
Yeah, it's crazy. I've tried to get back into running but it's been tough. When I first got back into it, I did the C25K app (Couch to 5K) and I could not recommend it more. I may do it again. Like anyone, I was winded after 30 seconds and within 6 months I could run a sub 30 min 5K. By the next year I was around 21 minutes. It truly works.

I run at the gym 5-6 days a week at lunchtime. 5 kilometers.

In addition, each day post run I follow a specific day weight machine training schedule. Years of playing hockey has left me with damaged shoulders that I have chosen to train instead of surgery. Labrum and cuff on right and just cuff on left. I mention this because the injuries limit heavy weight training. In fact, I train in the opposite way trainers recommend. I use lighter weights and high reps with each set decreasing in reps. 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. I find this really saves wear and tear on my joints. I also give myself longer rest between sets than typically recommended - at least 2 minutes. All of this designed to carefully avoid using joint components and use muscle instead. As I get stronger I add small amounts of weight for each exercise starting on the lowest rep set first. Next time I train that area I add the additional to the lowest set and the second lowest set and so forth. Usual only 5 pound increments. This has worked as I have added muscle without injury or undo pain in my shoulders. In fact, my previous shoulder pain that I was just "living with" is all but gone.

I started this routine 3 years ago. So, far so good.

Last edited:
I run at the gym 5-6 days a week at lunchtime. 5 kilometers.
I admire you for sticking with that. I absolutely can't run on a treadmill. It just drives me nuts. I feel like it takes longer to get to the 5k even though it doesn't. I have to be outside so that means running in rain, snow, ice and wind. It's the midwest so occasionally there will be an ideal day. :ROFLMAO:

Are you going to be one of those crossfit evangelist/s now? :coffee:

• Hug
It's very easy...I did it. I used to lift a lot. I could crank out 30 pull ups with ease at one time. My past jobs were almost all dirty, dangerous, and, demanding on your body. I got to the point of extreme burnout. I could bench over 400 lbs. I tore my rotator cuff moving a 750 lb liquid oxygen tank. I've had double hernia tears. Blew out numerous discs in my middle/lower back.

I should get back to it...but, it's not fun.

It's very easy...I did it. I used to lift a lot. I could crank out 30 pull ups with ease at one time. My past jobs were almost all dirty, dangerous, and, demanding on your body. I got to the point of extreme burnout. I could bench over 400 lbs. I tore my rotator cuff moving a 750 lb liquid oxygen tank. I've had double hernia tears. Blew out numerous discs in my middle/lower back.

I should get back to it...but, it's not fun.

And you still have the drive and ability for endless one nights of dalliance.

Fascinating. Well done my friend. I'm impressed and a bit awed, or odd, whichever works at the moment. I'm pragmatic like that. 👍 😊😇

I started working out heavy 5 days a week 30 years ago. I quit 29 years ago and just drink beer all day. It's a lot more enjoyable!

To the victor go the spoils.

Cheers Hoggy!!!!

I admire you for sticking with that. I absolutely can't run on a treadmill. It just drives me nuts. I feel like it takes longer to get to the 5k even though it doesn't. I have to be outside so that means running in rain, snow, ice and wind. It's the midwest so occasionally there will be an ideal day. :ROFLMAO:

I hear you. It can be mind numbingly boring. I made a contraption that holds my phone horizontally on the tread mill using a part of a metal hanger duck taped to a cheap phone case and old AirPods. This, combined with a YouTubeTV subscription, allows me to watch whatever I want for 30 mins which drastically cuts down on the boredom.

Every once in a while I forget it and I just dread the run without it.61B7E2A0-E84C-481A-8FAA-CD69CF45502D.jpeg

Last edited:
I hear you. It can be mind numbingly boring. I made a contraption that holds my phone horizontally on the tread mill using a part of a metal hanger duck taped to a cheap phone case and old AirPods. This, combined with a YouTubeTV subscription, allows me to watch whatever I want for 30 mins which drastically cuts down on the boredom.

Every once in a while I forget it and I just dread the run without it.View attachment 10264

That's supercool, but don't gyms have those new fangled TV type contraptions on equipment like that.

I dunno, thought I saw something like that on a stationary bike the one time I walked in to a gym accidentally thinking it was the beer store.

Damn sign said, "Come in and be happy." Bastards. :)

That's supercool, but don't gyms have those new fangled TV type contraptions on equipment like that.

I dunno, thought I saw something like that on a stationary bike the one time I walked in to a gym accidentally thinking it was the beer store.

Damn sign said, "Come in and be happy." Bastards. :)

You are correct. There are TV's everywhere, but I am not interested in mid day shows such "Wendy" or soap operas or even Fox News. I watch either CNBC or the Golf Channel.

And yes, I realize that many folks would consider both of those channels mind numbingly boring as well. LOL.

Back