The Mane Event

what was fandom like before the Internets?
We'd listen to Don Kent's weather report on channel 4 on Wednesday night, and if the weather was good for Sunday, we'd buy a bunch of tickets for Sunday's game, rent a bus and driver (quite reasonable and everyone got two seats, one for us and one for our cooler. We'd get sloshed on the way down, drink and tailgate, watch the game, and stop at the Golden Banana on the way home. Those were the days!

I was at that game!!! Stabler, Biletnikoff... crowd was insane. A nice sunny fall day it was.

Yeah, south end zone and 10 years old hanging with my brother and his friends who graduated in june from high school. I thought I was the balls and coolest dork there.

Not before the Internet, it wasn't.

Apart from part of my mother's side of the family that were staunch 49ers fans, everyone I knew were either Broncos or Seahawks fans...and those are pretty much the only two teams that were ever on TV. I left in 1991, so I'm sure that all changed with DirecTV and the Internet. But in the 70's and 80's....if you weren't a bandwagon Superbowl team fan (i.e.: Cowboys or Steelers), you were a Bronco or Seahawk.

Way before the internet or satellite (even those huge ones that moved around from remote control to other satellites). I know fans of every team...in the 80's, 80's, 90's...you're from Polson area though (if I remember correctly), so, that area could be way different than where I'm from.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, south end zone and 10 years old hanging with my brother and his friends who graduated in june from high school. I thought I was the balls and coolest dork there.

We were in one of the corners in the north end. Goooood times....

Only game the Raiders lost that year on their way to an SB win if I recall.

I was there as well, 15 years old, along the goal line.
Two guys behind us brawled it out before the game. They were friends coming in. They were arguing about the beer they snuck in. My dad covered me until the cops got there.

The good old days.....

Way before the internet or satellite (even those huge ones that moved around from remote control to other satellites). I know fans of every team...in the 80's, 80's, 90's...you're from Polson area though (if I remember correctly), so, that area could be way different than where I'm from.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nope, I was raised in the Missoula area (1969-1992).

Aside from the 49ers fans in the family, I knew one Dolphins fan, one Cowboys fan, one Patriots fan and about 80 bazillion Broncos/Seahawks fans. Sure, there were fans of other teams, but to call it diverse would have been a huge overstatement.

It has changed a lot with the advent of the Internet and more importantly, DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket.

I meant the part of being told to sit down and stop being loud.
he is the cause, his ticket taking patrol means a lazy ass who can't do 10 sit and stand during a game will complain. I am very serious when I tell you the guy in font of me in section 123 (cousins seats) sat the whole game and refused to stand and twice text the patriots and twice we were told to sit down. His wife finally called him a lazy bastard to make him stop but he would not stand...maybe he like the dudes ass in front of him.

and the hardest part is his wife was hot and jumping all around, it was difficult to not tell her to join me in celebration after the game.

:D

he is the cause, his ticket taking patrol means a lazy ass who can't do 10 sit and stand during a game will complain. I am very serious when I tell you the guy in font of me in section 123 (cousins seats) sat the whole game and refused to stand and twice text the patriots and twice we were told to sit down. His wife finally called him a lazy bastard to make him stop but he would not stand...maybe he like the dudes ass in front of him.

and the hardest part is his wife was hot and jumping all around, it was difficult to not tell her to join me in celebration after the game.

:D

I agree with you.

I've been told to sit.

It's distasteful.

I've never been to a Pats game, I keep wanting to go but then something always happens like my sis getting cancer or my dad getting ill and now I'm sick (tho not with anything serious but still it sucks all the energy out of me) I wanna get down there before TFB and Hoodie hang em up but first I gotta get better.

Only game the Raiders lost that year on their way to an SB win if I recall.
You're correct. Pats actually won both, but a dickwad ref named Ben Dreith called roughing the passer on Hamilton that wasnt roughing by the rules of the day. Afterwards, Dreith said, I said I would call roughing whether the ball was knocked out of the QB's hands or not and I did.

Someone asked what the NFL was like before the internet and this is one example: refs weren't nearly as consistent as they are now. That said, Dreith is the only guy I know who deliberately changed the outcome of a playoff game by throwing a flag on what wasn't an actual penalty, and said so defiantly after the game. That act wouldn't go far with today's internet and media.

I've never been to a Pats game, I keep wanting to go but then something always happens like my sis getting cancer or my dad getting ill and now I'm sick (tho not with anything serious but still it sucks all the energy out of me) I wanna get down there before TFB and Hoodie hang em up but first I gotta get better.

This is exactly the reason we took the plunge this year and we haven't regretted it one bit - we went to the Bears game a few weeks back. I was simply awesome. From the fans at the hotel (plenty of Bears fans but they were great!) to the atmosphere at the stadium - I highly recommend it!

This is exactly the reason we took the plunge this year and we haven't regretted it one bit - we went to the Bears game a few weeks back. I was simply awesome. From the fans at the hotel (plenty of Bears fans but they were great!) to the atmosphere at the stadium - I highly recommend it!
It's weird because flying to New York from here is much cheaper than flying to Boston, but I don't wanna go to my first game at the Dreadolands. :whip:

I need to go at some point to Foxborough, I've had the pleasure of seeing the Pats in the Flesh (London a couple years ago vs the Rams - awesome time!) but I gotta see them across the pond - and meet some of the grand folk from the Planet.

Probably needs planning a couple years in advance though.

Back