4: Stefon Diggs
5: Diontae Johnson
6: George Kittle
T7: Brandon Aiyuk
T7: Tee Higgins
T7: Chris Olave
10: Tyreek Hill
10: Travis Kelce

I'm hearing some Deebo Samuel chatter, btw.

What happened to that QB/WR we picked up mid season?

I'm okay with Parker if he's used appropriately, and I have faith BOB will use him well. The problem is that he's only a plus player when used just so, which leads to predictability.
I want Thornton and Bourne on the field more. Those two, with Parker, are actually a really nice mix of traits, but they need to be deployed in alignment with their strengths. Currently only Bourne has any flexibility in how he can be used, but I think Thornton can develop that flexibility. He can be a threat in the quick game and, if he can develop his route running, also become a powerful weapon in controlling the deep zones through precise levels of crosses and drags across the formation.

Adding Deebo would be huge. Obviously he's great for hunting mismatches, but BOB and Mac could use him beautifully with motion and formation to reveal defenses presnap.

The whole offense should be built to leverage Mac's processing speed and diagnostic ability. To do that, you need a varied toolbox to pressure the defense so it reveals itself, and maximize the hurt you can cause by hitting the exposed weaknesses. I think that's why they went for Thornton - that speed causes pressure that forces teams to overcompensate, which causes stress fractures. If they want quick/slant/slot to be the core of the offense, they need to add a guy like a Josh Downs to be a true slot. If not, they can get by using Marcus Jones as needed, but then they need to bring in CB help so they don't need to lean on him there, but can use him opportunistically.

There shouldn't be a team in the NFL that uses more motions, more weird formations, and more personnel off-label than the Patriots. Let Mac out-think defenses, and force them to make decisions and adjustments in real time in ways that the rules they're given weren't meant to handle.

I don't like the waist bend from him, and I'd like to see him shift a slightly larger percent of his weight down his frame, but we're down to picking nits. I love this kid. He's my favorite OL in the draft, and I'm wildly unsurprised to see him rolling up the boards.

The waist bend bothers me especially because no one should need to bend at the waist less than Dawand Jones, because of those long arms. Hopefully he's a hard worker and can break that habit (and not too used to relying on just being a better physical specimen than everyone he lines up against) because he could be very vulnerable to speed-to-power and/or good hump moves. As well as he moves, if a DE gets all that weight going the wrong way it's going to be hard to recover.

What happened to that QB/WR we picked up mid season?

I'm okay with Parker if he's used appropriately, and I have faith BOB will use him well. The problem is that he's only a plus player when used just so, which leads to predictability.
I want Thornton and Bourne on the field more. Those two, with Parker, are actually a really nice mix of traits, but they need to be deployed in alignment with their strengths. Currently only Bourne has any flexibility in how he can be used, but I think Thornton can develop that flexibility. He can be a threat in the quick game and, if he can develop his route running, also become a powerful weapon in controlling the deep zones through precise levels of crosses and drags across the formation.

Adding Deebo would be huge. Obviously he's great for hunting mismatches, but BOB and Mac could use him beautifully with motion and formation to reveal defenses presnap.

The whole offense should be built to leverage Mac's processing speed and diagnostic ability. To do that, you need a varied toolbox to pressure the defense so it reveals itself, and maximize the hurt you can cause by hitting the exposed weaknesses. I think that's why they went for Thornton - that speed causes pressure that forces teams to overcompensate, which causes stress fractures. If they want quick/slant/slot to be the core of the offense, they need to add a guy like a Josh Downs to be a true slot. If not, they can get by using Marcus Jones as needed, but then they need to bring in CB help so they don't need to lean on him there, but can use him opportunistically.

There shouldn't be a team in the NFL that uses more motions, more weird formations, and more personnel off-label than the Patriots. Let Mac out-think defenses, and force them to make decisions and adjustments in real time in ways that the rules they're given weren't meant to handle.

Josh Downs would be perfect if he slides far enough for us to get a crack at him (but I doubt that happens).

No new WR with a 1st or 2nd.

OT, CB1, MLB, FS, NT are all bigger needs.

O’Brien can have a high functioning offense with existing TE/WRs if the Pats fix the OLine first. The front office already blew its wad trading for Parker, drafting Thornton, and burning $$ for Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith. All this plus Bourne, Mondre already makes for plenty of weapons if the scheme and coaching is good.

OT, CB1
, MLB, FS, NT are all bigger needs.

O’Brien can have a high functioning offense with existing TE/WRs if the Pats fix the OLine first. The front office already blew its wad trading for Parker, drafting Thornton, and burning $$ for Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith. All this plus Bourne, Mondre already makes for plenty of weapons if the scheme and coaching is good.

I agree no WR with pick 14 unless it's traded for Tee Higgins.
I agree OT is a bigger need than either WR or CB but I think CB and WR1 are equal needs unless we don't re-sign Jon jones.
But I also think Trent Brown is serviceable as a LT with Klemm coaching him and a starting RT can be picked up on day 2.
BOB loves offenses that run through a Slot WR bc it opens up opportunities for outside WRs, TEs, RBs as receivers and the running game.
I'm fine with a slot as our WR1 (Edelman was) but we don't have that slot guy now.
We have Bourne and Parker who are WR2s.
Meyers (if re-signed which I'm beginning to doubt) is a very solid WR2. He played slot last year bc we didn't have anyone else but he's more a flanker or outside guy.
Meyers is projected to get 4yrs/$60M with $40M guaranteed. I'd rather have Higgins at his money than Meyers at his money. Welcome to the new NFL WR money reality. Just look at Tyreek Hill traded for 6 draft picks and he got a $100M contract. Or AJ Brown who was traded for a 1st round pick and he also got a $100M deal.
Thornton has a ways to go to be a solid WR3. He gets pushed off his routes way too easily.
Deebo would be great but he is cost prohibitive for both sides in any trade so that's not feasible.
Any drafted player for the Slot position will take at least a year of development and possibly 2. That's not good.

I'm convinced a trade is the best way to acquire a plug and play WR1.

Jerry Jeudy may be worth looking at. He's been a big disappointment with the Broncos. He was on the trade block at the deadline last year although new HC Sean Payton may like him.
He'd be fine to complement with a WR1 if we lose Meyers but he's not a WR1.

Others will come up as the off season progresses.

Last edited:

OT, CB1, MLB, FS, NT are all bigger needs.

As much as I want to, I don't disagree.

So I was looking at the PFF Simulator this morning, and I think the "needs" they list are pretty odd....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-17 092634.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-17 092634.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 5
Just looked at some PFF stats for a few random players, a typical rating will be a 75. When you click on said player it shows a score for each game.

Usually it's one score of 80 plus for one game and a 55 for the second game, ( approximately). Like the difference between playing Rutgers vs Ohio State.

Those scores of "75" are misleading.

Will Anderson is in a tier of his own.

FpL9R18XEAYglJk
And he disappeared against Tennessee. While there are things about Darnell Wright's game that concern me, he made Will Anderson look like a JAG earlier this year. Hard to ignore that.

What also jumps out at me from that chart is Tyrus Wheat, who is currently being mocked to go on Day 3, compared to #1 overall Aiden Hutchinson.

I agree no WR with pick 14 unless it's traded for Tee Higgins.
I agree OT is a bigger need than either WR or CB but I think CB and WR1 are equal needs unless we don't re-sign Jon jones.
But I also think Trent Brown is serviceable as a LT with Klemm coaching him and a starting RT can be picked up on day 2.
BOB loves offenses that run through a Slot WR bc it opens up opportunities for outside WRs, TEs, RBs as receivers and the running game.
I'm fine with a slot as our WR1 (Edelman was) but we don't have that slot guy now.
We have Bourne and Parker who are WR2s.
Meyers (if re-signed which I'm beginning to doubt) is a very solid WR2. He played slot last year bc we didn't have anyone else but he's more a flanker or outside guy.
Meyers is projected to get 4yrs/$60M with $40M guaranteed. I'd rather have Higgins at his money than Meyers at his money. Welcome to the new NFL WR money reality. Just look at Tyreek Hill traded for 6 draft picks and he got a $100M contract. Or AJ Brown who was traded for a 1st round pick and he also got a $100M deal.
Thornton has a ways to go to be a solid WR3. He gets pushed off his routes way too easily.
Deebo would be great but he is cost prohibitive for both sides in any trade so that's not feasible.
Any drafted player for the Slot position will take at least a year of development and possibly 2. That's not good.

I'm convinced a trade is the best way to acquire a plug and play WR1.

Jerry Jeudy may be worth looking at. He's been a big disappointment with the Broncos. He was on the trade block at the deadline last year although new HC Sean Payton may like him.
He'd be fine to complement with a WR1 if we lose Meyers but he's not a WR1.

Others will come up as the off season progresses.

View: https://twitter.com/mikekadlick/status/1626319388902060032

Back