The NFL 2023 Draft

I'm kind of obsessed with the possibility of coaching up Georgia TE Darnell Washington. Drafting that kid would almost be like being in a base 6 man OL, except the tackle-eligible runs a 4.6 and highpoints the ball with a 6'7" frame.

But draft season be like that. I know it's not about the physical metrics.
What's your policy on 40 time? Say he runs a 4.9 40 at the combine? Still a second round selection?
Or any value of 40 time?
That would surprise me, having seen his on-field speed. My guess would be in the mid-to-high 4.7s.

But to answer your question, a 4.9 flat wouldn't bother me too much if paired with an average or better vertical. Then he'd still be very hard to deal with in the low red zone - brutal blocking at the point of attack and able to get to the second level, but able to break off and make a high-point almost indefensible.
Welp, I didn't give him enough credit. He ran a 4.64 (6th among TEs) after measuring in at 6'7" and 264# with arm length just shy of 3 feet. But that's not the headline. He also:
  • had a 10y split tied for 2nd among TEs
  • had the best 20y shuttle time among TEs.
  • Had the 3rd best 20y shuttle time among all participants.
So apparently his top speed is just ok, but his change of direction and explosiveness is, well, kinda nuts when taking his relative size into account. And "merely" fantastic when ignoring it.

No chance of the Patriots getting him at this point - he wouldn't be there at 46 after that showing (he probably wouldn't have been before it) and he's not worth #14 given other areas of critical need. But boy, would he cause problems for a defense...

Last edited:
Apart from a few top-5 types, I would only use #14 on one of a handful of OTs and DBs. And I'm more and more of a mind that it's OT only.

I've come around some on Skoronski for the Patriots as well, as he is probably the lowest bust risk of any OT, and we can't afford to miss. My favorite OT in the draft is still probably Dawand Jones.
Agree on all four points.
1. OT only
2. Changed mind on Soronsky though till leery of short arms (Isaiah Wynne 2.0)
3. We can't afford to miss
4. Dawand Jones is tops

Skronoski is be considered as an OG by several teams. I think he will be a Pro Bowl OG for many years.
The OT that does not get enough mention is Alton Harrison from Oklahoma. He could be the best OT in the class.

Last edited:

Will Levis is a hard no. He has a cannon, yes, but all the bad stuff isn't stuff you're going to coach out of him - he's a redshirt senior!

Richardson I can see the upside, I just don't believe you're actually going to get there because I don't believe in his work ethic on the mental side. I think he's too used to having his physical gifts allow him to dominate or bail him out.

I like Stroud, Young, and Hooker. I think Carter is probably the #1 overall prospect.

Will Levis is a hard no. He has a cannon, yes, but all the bad stuff isn't stuff you're going to coach out of him - he's a redshirt senior!

Richardson I can see the upside, I just don't believe you're actually going to get there because I don't believe in his work ethic on the mental side. I think he's too used to having his physical gifts allow him to dominate or bail him out.

I like Stroud, Young, and Hooker. I think Carter is probably the #1 overall prospect.

If Richardson goes high, the guy that took him will get fired if Richardson doesn't work out quickly.

One thing about the Combine is that the top 15 tends to get pretty crowded after all the numbers are digested. I think I
read that about 35 guys this morning.

This year I'm not really trying to sort anything out until the crocuses are well above the dirt. I got tried of thinking
I had a handle on things and the next thing you know a bunch of sure-fire 1st rounders are suddenly there in the 3rd
and vice-versa.

Sure, the Combine probably gets too much play, but everybody just looks at the RAS of some of these kids and falls
in love. Forget the film, forget the red flags, just start wondering what he'll say in his HOF induction speech.

Sometimes it works out, like how D.K. Metcalf was supposed to be a really raw workout warrior that would have a rough adjustment
to the Show. Everybody was wrong and he was excellent as a rookie. Then, you get Travon Walker who was the overall 1 and didn't do
much at all.

My main problem with Hooker would be his age (25) & that ACL injury. Good player though for sure

1. OT only
4. Dawand Jones is tops
Wynn's arms measured 33 3/8" at the combine. (That's not meant to discount the importance of >33" arms.)

I know homer, but I'm telling you he has the best hands by far in this draft.

Not only does he have hands he's one of the best route runners coming out of college I've studied since Keenan Allen. Great, nuanced route runner.

Last edited:
1. OT only
4. Dawand Jones is tops

Wynn's short arms weren't the cause of his poor play this year, though.
His best trait has always been his athleticism, foot speed and movement skills.
Study him this year and his foot speed was almost twice as slow as what it had been. The guy reminded me of that slow footed sloth for the Jets 10 years ago, Vlad Ducasse.
I'd love to know his playing weight this year.

Back