The Patriots 2023 Preseason Thread - OTAs and Mini Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final completion stats Practice 4

11v11s
Mac Jones: 10/14
Bailey Zappe: 12/16, INT. Vs 2s
Trace McSorley: 9/11. Vs 2s and 3s

Best day for the offense by far. Pads come on tomorrow.
Woah woah woah...that might be his best run as a pro. :coffee:

DeMario Douglas has been a top quality WR for a number of years. He looked like a man among boys at Liberty

Receiving & Rushing​

* indicates bowl stats included
YearSchoolConfClassPosGRecYdsAvgTDAttYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
ReceivingRushingScrimmage
*2019LibertyIndFRWR4913615.11000913615.11
*2020LibertyIndFRWR113236311.33122.003336511.13
*2021LibertyIndFRWR125270113.56122.005370313.36
*2022LibertyIndJRWR137999312.66510521.0184109813.17
CareerLiberty172219312.816710915.61179230212.917

I don't recall that being a Power 5 school, though. (That's why BB was able to pick him up so late in the draft)

In other TC news, I noticed that TE Matt Sokol was credited with a nice TD grab the other day.

This made me think that we should probably get our affairs in order, because it might be the seventh
sign of the apocalypse.
Context does matter quite a bit. Don't listen to anyone who says Zappe is ahead of Mac. Otoh, that Zappe is doing what he's been asked to do is a very good thing.
He may need to play some day.

I don't know why so many seem to think of Zappe as a talentless scrub. We just watched a guy whose arm wasn't close to Zappe's (imo) back up
Tom Brady for about a decade and every time he came into the game I just hid my face because his shuttlecocks floated so bad that I felt like
every attempt was a pick waiting to happen.

Zappe has something that you can't really measure -- the ability to see the field and find the open guy. Considering his level of competition
in school (lowish) and the shitshow he was born into in the NFL, I find it incomprehensible that he is openly mocked and derided by the
fanbase. Bailey Zappe had a successful rookie year and remains a decent prospect whose measurables may not be NFL elite, but the kid has
something that is maybe hard to quantify, but people should back off hammering him and let him develop. He's fucking smart.

The other day I noticed a clickbait title from "Musketfire", which is a shit Patriots website saying that Zappe was going to beat Jones out. As
I know their MO, I didn't bother to give them a click, but any time you get a rookie that is forced into starting and gets 2 wins before settling
back to Earth then you're ahead of the game -- not behind. He's going to be light years better than Brian Hoyer, so.....what do people want?

l

I thought Liberty won the BigXII a couple years ago, no? :coffee:
The Liberty Flames football program represents Liberty University, a private Christian university located in Lynchburg, Virginia, in college football. The Flames compete in NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) as a member of Conference USA. The program, which previously competed in Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), announced it would start a transition to the top level of NCAA football in July 2017. The Flames became a provisional FBS member in 2018, and became a full FBS member with bowl eligibility in 2019 In 2020, Liberty entered the rankings in the AP Poll at 25 for the first time in program history.

In 2021, Liberty University announced the Flames would become full members of Conference USA effective for the 2023 football season.

The Liberty Flames football program represents Liberty University, a private Christian university located in Lynchburg, Virginia, in college football. The Flames compete in NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) as a member of Conference USA. The program, which previously competed in Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), announced it would start a transition to the top level of NCAA football in July 2017. The Flames became a provisional FBS member in 2018, and became a full FBS member with bowl eligibility in 2019 In 2020, Liberty entered the rankings in the AP Poll at 25 for the first time in program history.

In 2021, Liberty University announced the Flames would become full members of Conference USA effective for the 2023 football season.
You see the coffee guy, right?

In other TC news, I noticed that TE Matt Sokol was credited with a nice TD grab the other day.

This made me think that we should probably get our affairs in order, because it might be the seventh
sign of the apocalypse.

I don't know why so many seem to think of Zappe as a talentless scrub. We just watched a guy whose arm wasn't close to Zappe's (imo) back up
Tom Brady for about a decade and every time he came into the game I just hid my face because his shuttlecocks floated so bad that I felt like

Zappe has something that you can't really measure -- the ability to see the field and find the open guy. Considering his level of competition
in school (lowish) and the shitshow he was born into in the NFL, I find it incomprehensible that he is openly mocked and derided by the
fanbase. Bailey Zappe had a successful rookie year and remains a decent prospect whose measurables may not be NFL elite, but the kid has
something that is maybe hard to quantify, but people should back off hammering him and let him develop. He's fucking smart.

The other day I noticed a clickbait title from "Musketfire", which is a shit Patriots website saying that Zappe was going to beat Jones out. As
I know their MO, I didn't bother to give them a click, but any time you get a rookie that is forced into starting and gets 2 wins before settling
back to Earth then you're ahead of the game -- not behind. He's going to be light years better than Brian Hoyer, so.....what do people want?

l
I never said he was a scrub. I just don't see him as a great QB at this point. Could he develop into one hell yes. but he isn't there quite yet. Hell Hawg at 73 years old I am better than Hoyer That is after having both shoulders replaced.

Last edited:
I don't know if you folks read about today's Patriots practice. It was in weei.com, by Mike Kralik (who I haven't read much by). He stated that the Patriot's offense was better than the other days. Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe played well, leading the offense. I'm happy with the improvement! (I know weei isn't popular, and I've certainly had problems with them, but some of their Patriots articles have been pretty good, lately). Also, I don't know why the link I have below won't go to the article. I'm pretty sure I added it correctly.

Day 4 Patriots training camp notebook: QBs hit stride as offense clicks in first full-field drills​

I don't know if you folks read about today's Patriots practice. It was in weei.com, by Mike Kralik (who I haven't read much by). He stated that the Patriot's offense was better than the other days. Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe played well, leading the offense. I'm happy with the improvement! (I know weei isn't popular, and I've certainly had problems with them, but some of their Patriots articles have been pretty good, lately). Also, I don't know why the link I have below won't go to the article. I'm pretty sure I added it correctly.

Day 4 Patriots training camp notebook: QBs hit stride as offense clicks in first full-field drills​

Mike Kadlick
Here ya go

sign of the apocalypse.

l

I don't get it either. I don't think the dismissal of Zappe is born out of any malice. I think it's just Pats fans are so desperate for Mac to succeed which is totally understandable. We had the GOAT here for so long and we drafted the guy we all wanted, a smart hard working player from the Patriots feeder school in Alabama. But when things didn't go well last season and Zappe stepped in a made some pretty great plays that got the fans buzzing, it was kind of understandable that some fans were going to be funny about it, not liking a perceived threat to Mac.

A poster here during last season put up a really excellent post about how Zappe is excellent in the pocket and does not panic nor nervously focuses on the rushing lanes.

I really admire Zappe. I mean he came from a nobody school, came into a royal shitshow here last year on offense with a coach who didn't have a clue what he was doing, Mac goes down, Hoyer laughably gets injured a few plays in at Green Bay and and Zappe has to come in and take charge, And he did it in a really admirable way. Just got on with it, wasn't scared, didn't go to pieces and he made plays.

I'm delighted he's on our team.

sign of the apocalypse.

l
On Zappe, 100%.

I don't think there is any Zappe hate. There is derision for those that use Zappe to ridicule Mac and that is all. I would love Zappe to have a productive and financially beneficial NFL career.

Mike Kadlick
Here ya go

Kadlick is the reason for the (alleged) Patriots improvement on weei recently, I'd bet. He's on the homer side, but on the higher edge of Patriots beat/analysis overall.

I don't get it either. I don't think the dismissal of Zappe is born out of any malice. I think it's just Pats fans are so desperate for Mac to succeed which is totally understandable. We had the GOAT here for so long and we drafted the guy we all wanted, a smart hard working player from the Patriots feeder school in Alabama. But when things didn't go well last season and Zappe stepped in a made some pretty great plays that got the fans buzzing, it was kind of understandable that some fans were going to be funny about it, not liking a perceived threat to Mac.

A poster here during last season put up a really excellent post about how Zappe is excellent in the pocket and does not panic nor nervously focuses on the rushing lanes.

I really admire Zappe. I mean he came from a nobody school, came into a royal shitshow here last year on offense with a coach who didn't have a clue what he was doing, Mac goes down, Hoyer laughably gets injured a few plays in at Green Bay and and Zappe has to come in and take charge, And he did it in a really admirable way. Just got on with it, wasn't scared, didn't go to pieces and he made plays.

I'm delighted he's on our team.
Excellent post. Agree wholeheartedly.

On Zappe, 100%.

I don't think there is any Zappe hate. There is derision for those that use Zappe to ridicule Mac and that is all. I would love Zappe to have a productive and financially beneficial NFL career.
I like Zappe and I agree that they way they were pitted against each other by some in media (probably to get clicks as much as anything) made it seem like somehow to like Zappe meant you were against Mac. I want both to succeed. that's a little hard to do as I don't want Mac getting injured, but if Zappe can do well in preseason - and if he does have to play some in reg season - and draw interest, Pats can get something for him from a team desperate for a QB next offseason....
....or (I don't what this but... ) if Mac falters and Zappe plays well for Pats, then there you go.
Pats First
who's wearing the Uni seconds (but I'd like to see Mac succeed and think he will with BoB)

is it football season yet?!? jeez. takes forever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back