The Pogues are back in business, with Shane

TomWaits & you

Reaction score
I'm super-psyched, personally, because I thought Dr. MacGowen would die before I got the chance. Legendary Irish band, fronted by Irish national treasure Shane MacGowen, is touring again in the states. They're playing in Boston on the 21st and other dates at other places, if you're interested.

For those unfamiliar:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ff3aoSyYOVs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ff3aoSyYOVs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

See them while you can.

MacGowan's version of "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" is freakin' amazing.

I get the impression that he's something of a heavy drinker, though. :shrug:

MacGowan's version of "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" is freakin' amazing.

Aye. Curse of the Irish, as me mudda says. There's a particularly poignant youtube video of Shane in his local bar, shitfaced, singing an Irish tune. I'll go fish it our if you're interested. It's sad, because Shane is wasted. But, it's local, and they know him, and they listen and it's sadly beautiful. The tough part is when he is so bombed he can't go on, and his mother takes up the song for him.

TO me, it's a beautiful scene of motherly love, of a community, and of a million dreams dying in drink. To the casual viewer, it's simply an expose into the life of a 'superstar' for voyeuristic critism.

I'll look it up..

Here, man:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6Y2yTirltk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l6Y2yTirltk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The woman, in the back, is he mum. Can you imagine her pride and heartbreak?

I saw Shane at one of the GuinnessFleadhFestival and it was sad, he was so pissed drunk they would walk him out and he would sing something and they would walk him off for a song and repeat, he stood there, with help, with a butt in one hand and a styrooam cup of something in the other - pissed drunk...I too could not wait for the day I could see him live but he was so pissed it was sad, I left after 20 minutes with a sick felling in my stomache that he would not be around much longer - glad I was wrong...I may go to this to see if it is a better show

I'm a big fan of the Pogues and Shane and consider him one of the great drunks of our times.

Most drunks just mail it in, but Shane hears his muse and channels the great irish poets when he is in his cups.

A sample of his genius from my favorite Pogues song which I suppose speaks of the desperate irish exodus to the US back when times were harder:

Thousands are Sailing

The island it is silent now
But the ghosts still haunt the waves
And the torch lights up a famished man
Who fortune could not save

Did you work upon the railroad
Did you rid the streets of crime
Were your dollars from the white house
Were they from the five and dime

Did the old songs taunt or cheer you
And did they still make you cry
Did you count the months and years
Or did your teardrops quickly dry

Ah, no, says he, 'twas not to be
On a coffin ship I came here
And I never even got so far
That they could change my name

Thousands are sailing
Across the western ocean
To a land of opportunity
That some of them will never see
Fortune prevailing
Across the western ocean
Their bellies full
Their spirits free
They'll break the chains of poverty
And they'll dance

In Manhattan's desert twilight
In the death of afternoon
We stepped hand in hand on Broadway
Like the first man on the moon

And "The Blackbird" broke the silence
As you whistled it so sweet
And in Brendan Behan's footsteps
I danced up and down the street

Then we said goodnight to Broadway
Giving it our best regards
Tipped our hats to Mister Cohan
Dear old Times Square's favorite bard

Then we raised a glass to JFK
And a dozen more besides
When I got back to my empty room
I suppose I must have cried

Thousands are sailing
Again across the ocean
Where the hand of opportunity
Draws tickets in a lottery
Postcards we're mailing
Of sky-blue skies and oceans
From rooms the daylight never sees
Where lights don't glow on Christmas trees
But we dance to the music
And we dance

Thousands are sailing
Across the western ocean
Where the hand of opportunity
Draws tickets in a lottery
Where e'er we go, we celebrate
The land that makes us refugees
From fear of Priests with empty plates
From guilt and weeping effigies
And we dance

I'm a big fan of the Pogues and Shane and consider him one of the great drunks of our times.

Most drunks just mail it in, but Shane hears his muse and channels the great irish poets when he is in his cups.

A sample of his genius from my favorite Pogues song which I suppose speaks of the desperate irish exodus to the US back when times were harder:

[/i]

The show was literally amazing. Best show I've ever seen.

shane stumbled out to start things off, and I was willing to grant him that. But I'll be damned: He grew stonger as th show went on. almost three hours worth, 28-30 songs. No joke, the best show I've ever been too. Go see the Pogues while you have the chance.

I got lucky, btw. I watched the show ON STAGE. I was on the flanks of the stage due to a friend. Amazing.

Never really got it. A sad drunk who can't sing and treats his body and his abilities like sh*t. :shrug: But I did like the Cole Porter cover they contributed to the "Red Hot and Blue" AIDS benefit album from 1990.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0ojrK-yz_M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R0ojrK-yz_M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(If you've never heard the album, it's worth checking out. Has some great people on it, doing songs you've never heard them do. The Neville Brothers doing a nice cover of "In The Still Of The Night"; Sinead O'Connor, on "You Do Something To Me", showing she actually did have a great voice under all the weirdness; Debbie "Blondie" Harry and Iggy Pop on a bizarre duet of "Well Did You Evah"; this Pogues cover; David Byrne of the Talking Heads singing "Don't Fence Me In"; Tom Waits weirdly screeching his way through "It's All Right With Me"; Annie Lennox, another weird chick with a great voice, on "Every Time We Say Goodbye"; U2's catchy version of "Night And Day"; Weird Chick With A Great Voice #3 in k.d. lang singing "So In Love... just lots of good stuff there.)

(If you've never heard the album, it's worth checking out. Has some great people on it, doing songs you've never heard them do. The Neville Brothers doing a nice cover of "In The Still Of The Night"; Sinead O'Connor, on "You Do Something To Me", showing she actually did have a great voice under all the weirdness; Debbie "Blondie" Harry and Iggy Pop on a bizarre duet of "Well Did You Evah"; this Pogues cover; David Byrne of the Talking Heads singing "Don't Fence Me In"; Tom Waits weirdly screeching his way through "It's All Right With Me"; Annie Lennox, another weird chick with a great voice, on "Every Time We Say Goodbye"; U2's catchy version of "Night And Day"; Weird Chick With A Great Voice #3 in k.d. lang singing "So In Love... just lots of good stuff there.)

Thank you JD. I will certainly check that out. Never heard of it so far, and I'm glad you told me about it, as it sounds right up my alley.

As far as the Pogues and Shane goes: Man, oh, man. Seeing a Pogues show, even (what?, 20+ years past their 'prime') is literally the best/most fun/most enjoyable shows I've seen.

Not just the crowd, who admittedly might make more of the situation than it is, but they just simply AREN'T. Such fun, such energy. Even Shane, for all is faults, put up a f'ing AWESOME effort and sang the songs as if he was 30 years old again.

JD, truly, even if you're not a fan. The Pogues will put an endearing, ever-lasting smile on your face. We were ON THE STAGE and literally went into the crowd to interact with folks because it was such an energetic, bombastic occasion. It was truly magic.

I cannot say enough about their performance. Thanks again for the heads up about that album. I will be checking it out.

You can probably pick up a used copy of it in your local good record store. I don't think you can get it on iTunes, but I don't know about other music servers.

You can probably pick up a used copy of it in your local good record store. I don't think you can get it on iTunes, but I don't know about other music servers.

I'll take a look around. If you have a copy, etc..

But really, JD. The Pogues live is beyond any expectations. Even now. One of the 50 bands to see before you die. And I agree.

Mr. Waits:

Have you heard Mark Lanagan? He was the front man for Screaming Trees (who are eh...pretty good grunge), but his solo stuff might be right up your alley. His second solo album, "Whiskey For The Holy Ghost," is one of my favorite albums of all time. I'll paraphrase a critic, who described it as: The musical equivalent to slowly falling into a bottle of whiskey.

To start off with, I'd suggest "El Sol," "Pendulum," "Judas Touch" (I love that imagery: If the Midas Touch makes everything turn to gold, Judas Touch does what?), and "Carnival." If you really want to go brutal, then "House a Home," "Kingdom of Rain," and "Beggar's Blues."

But after a listen or three, you'll see that there isn't a miss on the whole album, really.

Mark_Lanegan_Whiskey_for_the_Holy_Ghost.jpg

Mr. Waits:

Have you heard Mark Lanagan? He was the front man for Screaming Trees (who are eh...pretty good grunge), but his solo stuff might be right up your alley. His second solo album, "Whiskey For The Holy Ghost," is one of my favorite albums of all time. I'll paraphrase a critic, who described it as: The musical equivalent to slowly falling into a bottle of whiskey.

To start off with, I'd suggest "El Sol," "Pendulum," "Judas Touch" (I love that imagery: If the Midas Touch makes everything turn to gold, Judas Touch does what?), and "Carnival." If you really want to go brutal, then "House a Home," "Kingdom of Rain," and "Beggar's Blues."

But after a listen or three, you'll see that there isn't a miss on the whole album, really.

Mark_Lanegan_Whiskey_for_the_Holy_Ghost.jpg

Mr. Flagg the Wanderer:

Here to fore, Pendulum may be my favorite song on Earth. Whiskey for the Holy Ghost is perhaps my favorite album. EXCELLENT suggestion and completely on point.

I'm also a fan of the Screaming Trees, but mainly due to Mr. Lanegan. "I walk in cold rain, with my telescope in my hand"

Thank you., sir.

Thank you, Mr. Flagg the Wanderer.

I've now queued up Mr. Lanegan upon your suggestion on my musical machine of a computer.

Good stuff.

/I'm crawling all over the carnival...

I just looked up Lanegan on free.napster.com, and noticed that at some point he recorded a cover of "Cripple Creek." I wish I was someplace that I could listen to it right now...this I've gotta hear.

Mr. Flagg the Wanderer:

Here to fore, Pendulum may be my favorite song on Earth. Whiskey for the Holy Ghost is perhaps my favorite album. EXCELLENT suggestion and completely on point.

I'm also a fan of the Screaming Trees, but mainly due to Mr. Lanegan. "I walk in cold rain, with my telescope in my hand"

Thank you., sir.
Mr. Waits:

I'd like sit you down and buy you a Middleton or five.

:toast:

Mr. Waits:

I'd like sit you down and buy you a Middleton or five.

:toast:

Mr. Flagg the Wanderer:

Now I must find the song you alluded to. Unfortunately, this morning is not the morning for me and is rather a continuation of the night before. Essentially, I'm incapable of almost everything at this point.

As to your offer of a Middleton or five. Your offer is accepted with great vigor. My concern is that five seems an arbritrary number that is inclusive on folks who are capable of self-preservation and the greater good. That said, the offer is most genuine and quite generous.

I say good day.

Back