Theo quits the Red Sox

Bruschi 3:16

Unable to function normally in society
Reaction score
Didn't see this one coming. After reports that a deal was done, Theo says "no thanks" and resigns from the Sox. Gulp.

Holy cow..... :eek:

Obviously I'm not a Bosox fan, but knowing a little bit something about them, isn't this like the equivalent of Pioli leaving?

I know Theo was getting all the love a year or two ago... Do you guys still love him or is the lovefest over?

mgoblue101415 said:
Holy cow..... :eek:

Obviously I'm not a Bosox fan, but knowing a little bit something about them, isn't this like the equivalent of Pioli leaving?

I know Theo was getting all the love a year or two ago... Do you guys still love him or is the lovefest over?

By all accounts, Sox President Larry Lucchino is a complete pr!ck and Theo had enough. This is a surprise and in my opinion cripples the Red Sox organization for the forseeable future. Understnad with Theo gone and his assistant Josh Byrnes leaving for Arizona, all their baseball development guys will be gone, too. Throw in Manny's crap, the Damon negotiations, Schilling's big mouth, etc, this is going to make for a long and cold winter in Red Sox nation.

Hopefully, this ends up just being part of the drama of the negotiations, and ultimately, he stays.

Mark_Henderson said:
Hopefully, this ends up just being part of the drama of the negotiations, and ultimately, he stays.

There are some rumors that he will be named the new Dodgers' GM as soon as tomorrow. Sounds like Lucchino is a real prick and a power monger. I can't blame Theo for bolting if this is the case.

Bruschi 3:16 said:
Didn't see this one coming. After reports that a deal was done, Theo says "no thanks" and resigns from the Sox. Gulp.

I'm mortified and stupified!!

If Theo is as smart as I think he is, he's on the phone to that Boston crazy man that owns the Dodgers and says "Hi, I am your newest best friend!"

Let's see now how long it takes for Henry to become Huizenga.

Re: Re: Theo quits the Red Sox

RoadGrader said:

If Theo is as smart as I think he is, he's on the phone to that Boston crazy man that owns the Dodgers and says "Hi, I am your newest best friend!"

I guess that might be Theo's best career move. If he could be the guy who put us over the top and then the Dodgers, his price would be sky high.

RoadGrader said:

I think Theo has had conversations with Larry McCourt in LA many times this week to be honest. Don't be surprised to see a lot of calls "to Hempstead" were made from Theo's cell phone. I expect Paul DePodesta to be the Sox' new GM asap.

ps- Notre Dame sucks :)

Re: Re: Re: Theo quits the Red Sox

Bruschi 3:16 said:
ps- Notre Dame sucks :)

don't be trying to get on my good side or I'll be forced to come over and help you wash your hair next Monday night.

cornrows be OK with you?

Mark_Henderson said:

Theo ain't walking back through that door.

MGO: yes. This is a lot like losing Pioli.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Theo quits the Red Sox

RoadGrader said:
don't be trying to get on my good side or I'll be forced to come over and help you wash your hair next Monday night.

cornrows be OK with you?

I could go with the cornrow look...:)

I blame Larry Lucchino. He screwed up the Baltimore Orioles, then went on to the Padres where he ripped off the tax payers with their new stadium. Now, he's screwing up the Red Sox.

The guy has an ego bigger than Texas and must have full control of all things Red Sox Nation. He pushed Theo out the door, and now they have to hire a new GM ASAP, with hardly any good candidates to fill those shoes. I'm not surprised by this whatsoever.

Theo was the best GM in Red Sox history. In his 3 seasons, the Sox won 95+ games a season, 3 post season appearances, and a WS title. If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

I hate you Larry Lucchino. GO FUCK YOURSELF!

Wow..Fucking wow. Fuck you Lucchino. Seriously, fuck you. Jump off a cliff and rot you piece of scum. Theo earned nothing but respect from him. this fucking guy BROUGHT US A WORLD SERIES many of us never thought we would ever see. And Larry drives him out of town? Awful, just awful. Manny wants out, Damon's gone..this team is going absolutely nowhere.:mad:

RoadGrader said:

theo will be a fool to work for him

-1st d-lowe is there

-2nd they need a bat or two or four

-3 tghey trade duluca the heart and soul a year and 1/2 ago and have failed to recover.

I am aware that this had to happen and why now but if stories are true, than I might just have to become a Brockton Rox fan

Epstein's trick is on the Red Sox
By Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff | October 31, 2005

He didn’t exactly chuck an egg at Larry Lucchino’s office door on the way out, but Theo Epstein might as well have.

The Halloween deadline turned out to be the biggest trick the Red Sox could have possibly expected from their former -- yes, I said former, as in past tense -- general manager. In a stunning move, Epstein announced this evening that he’s gone. Kaput. Finis. In any language, no matter how you pronounceit, it spells Lucchino.

“In my time as general manager, I gave my entire heart and soul to the organization,” Epstein said in a statement. “During the process leading up to today’s decision, I came to the conclusion that I can no longer do so. In the end, my choice is the right one not only for me but for the Red Sox.”

Now, the question will be asked time and again over the coming days: Is it that he no longer can do so, or would not be allowed to?

I can only imagine what the offices on Yawkey and Brookline are like tonight, a scattered group of folks wondering what in the hell just happened here in this organization. At best, this is a public relations disaster for John Henry and company. At worst, it could very well spell the end of their kind welcome through the six-state home base of Red Sox Nation, where they have been appreciated and celebrated since Day One.

Paul Konerko? Brian Giles? Forget about it. Manny Ramirez? As good as gone. Johnny Damon? I doubt it. With Theo Epstein gone, the day-to-day operations of this ballclub are in flux, at the time of the year when they need to be at their most active. By the time the Red Sox get a general manager in place willing to work under Lucchino, Boston will be lucky to get its hands on Kevin Millar again.

To his credit, Epstein will stay on for a few more days to aid with the transition. That will be a comfortable working environment, no?

Here’s the bottom line, folks: Epstein cared too much about putting a baseball team on the field. That was his undoing at an address where the latest real estate development plan was more important. Why be concerned about bullpen help when you’ve got blueprints on the table? Why give your general manager that $1.5 million he’s asking for when instead you can sink $200 million into renovation of a Howard Johnson’s?

The Red Sox are no longer the local baseball team. The Olde Towne Team no more. They are a monster business, attaching itself to any and every money-making opportunity that comes its way. Coming soon, Fenway Park-themed fast food restaurants. They are more "This Old House" than "This Week in Baseball" these days.

The Boston Red Sox have become an enormous marketing machine. Winning isn’t everything, but it sure does help them make more money.

It’s going to be wildly interesting over the next few days to see how the Red Sox treat this. It is certainly a minority out there that isn’t unhappy with what has transpired here this evening. And you have to wonder what Lucchino’s plan is for a new GM. Paul DePodesta? Pat Gillick? John (shudder) Hart?

In their world, the Red Sox are doing just fine, thank you very much, with or without Theo Epstein, the former boy wonder. Why, they bang out the ballpark every single night, and had the “conscience” only to raise ticket prices slightly in 2006, even though demand said they could go higher. They are talked about 10 times as much as the local football team, which happens to have had a pretty good run of its own of late. Think anyone is talking Peyton Manning in these parts until the weekend now? Forget about it.

But with all that success comes a price that this group has yet to suffer as of yet. Any bad PR on their part has come in small bunches here and there. They even survived the Nomar deal in good part because of the way Garciaparra had brooded in the preceding weeks, and the immediate hot stretch they hit. Well, the team isn’t playing anytime soon, and the Red Sox have nothing to take the Nation’s mind off this front office disaster.

Theo Epstein is gone, and the Red Sox are much worse off for it.

I’m sorry, I meant the Red Sox fans. The Red Sox are probably embroiled too deeply in their latest multi-million dollar development plan to really care about it all that much.

What I want to know is: Where the fuck is John Henry. His franchaise is in shambels and he is no where to be found. Why isn't he stepping up and putting that cocksucker in his place. IMO John Henry is as much to blame for this as Mr. Dickhead. If Henry got any balls he will call that piece of shit and tell him to go fuck himself.
And oh what a surpise CBH is right in the middle of this controversy. Shank you very much!
:4321: :4321: :4321: :4321: :4321: :4321::4321: :4321:

Any interest I had in the Sox is done and gone with the resignation of Theo. Theo was almost the equivalent of Pioli-butn ot quite.

I tried to give this management team the benefit of the doubt re: their past history. I guess I was wrong.

Odlirama said:
What I want to know is: Where the fuck is John Henry. His franchaise is in shambels and he is no where to be found. Why isn't he stepping up and putting that cocksucker in his place. IMO John Henry is as much to blame for this as Mr. Dickhead. If Henry got any balls he will call that piece of shit and tell him to go fuck himself.
And oh what a surpise CBH is right in the middle of this controversy. Shank you very much!
:4321: :4321: :4321: :4321: :4321: :4321::4321: :4321:
lucchino is henry's man, he was hand picked to come into the boston group to try to get a new ball park, like he did in camden yards and san diego. Henry sides with Larry and is out of it because like the article by Shaunessy said sunday, Larry doesn't mind being the jerk and is taking the heat so the scarecrow henry can look good to the fans.

I like Theo and what he brought to the table,

BUT

until I see who they pick up, where Theo ends up and how it all plays out we really can't get to hyped about this. the ramification will not be felt for a year or 2 while the new administration signs players and Drafts to see what kind of talent they bring in.

.we should do the following to P.O. the Sox brASS

we should pay no attention to the SOX, that is the best way to upset the front office, don't give a darn about anything they do this off season, follow the real New England team the Patriots and resume normal life

Back