Ty Law is a greedy SOB(article)

I think Ty just went hungry a lot as a child, for he's always had this strong urge to eat.

He wanted more money from the Pats because he had to eat and he left Michigan early because he had to eat.

I mean come on, cut the guy some slack... He just wants to eat. :p

Hawg73 said:
Hey, a man's gotta eat.

I'm thinking Ty would have a serious problem with his "likeness" being transposed on a 50 dollar bill ........I have to believe that anything less than a C note would be disrespectful to Ty. :shake:

PA_PATS_FAN54 said:
I'm thinking Ty would have a serious problem with his "likeness" being transposed on a 50 dollar bill ........I have to believe that anything less than a C note would be disrespectful to Ty. :shake:

Sorry, PA-- I didn't HAVE a C note laying around to scan.

Ty probably lights up Cubanos with them.

Hey Hawg, weren't you just bitching about people who post those extra wide images?

--------

I really can't bring myself to trash Ty Law for that "Gotta Eat" statement that he made some time ago.

Law 's a guy who hasn't let his contract issues interfere with his play. He has played hard, he has played hurt, and, as far as I'm concerned, has always held up his end of the bargain.

When he declined to restructure his contract and take a "pay cut", everyone was quick to label him as greedy. When all was said and done, though, the Pats decided to keep him for the 2004 season under the terms of his original contract.

News Flash. Belichick does not overpay. Does it not follow then, that Ty Law was paid his then current market value for the 2004 season?

How does that qualify as greedy? We're not talking about a guy like TO, who does not want to live up to the terms of a contract that he signed.

You want greedy? Take a look at Paul Pierce, who has recently been heard bitching that NBA players shouldn't be expected to play in the Olympics without being paid.

I agree that Ty Law has said some things that rub me the wrong way. For the most part, those things were said in the off season. When it came time to play, he was able to set that crap aside and perform as few Patriots ever have.

I'm really hoping that wherever he ends up this season, he decides to take the high road with respect to the Patriots. If we hear him complaining about how he was treated in New England, I'll turn on him. But if, as I am hoping, he tries handle his departure with some class, then I'll always remember him for what he brought to those championship seasons.

Until then, I think we owe him the benefit of the doubt.

dropKickMurphy said:
I'm really hoping that wherever he ends up this season, he decides to take the high road with respect to the Patriots. If we hear him complaining about how he was treated in New England, I'll turn on him. But if, as I am hoping, he tries handle his departure with some class, then I'll always remember him for what he brought to those championship seasons.

Until then, I think we owe him the benefit of the doubt.

Too late for me to give him the benefit of the doubt, sorry. Don't get me wrong... I am glad the Pats had him and I appreciate Law's play while he was in a Pats uniform. But that's all. Law is a bum. Law take the high road?? :LOL: Handling departures with class?? :LOL: A coach does what any coach would do and try to get a guy to stay and play. But no, Law had to friggin eat. And when he was told he wouldn't be a 1st round pick if he left early (a coach trying to get a stud player to stay) Law turned around and trashed Michigan, the coaches, said he wasn't given any respect... :4321: F* Law and his Aliquippa Quips. They can have him.

Do we all not look for the most compensation for our effort?

I don't think most people would be happy about getting cut and taking the pay cut a lot of these PROUD athletes do. Look at Ted Johnson, he is constantly being reworked.

Ty was just more vocal about it, the fans jumped on it because it was one of the few negatives to come out of foxboro. We fans all love the negativity and thrive off it even in good times.

That said money really isn't everything when we are talking about the amounts these players make and if it was proportioned down to each fans pay scale we would see if we could live with in our means with these pay cuts.

sounds funny but we are all greedy people and expect to be compensated generously for our time and Ty is still a greedy S.O.B.

mikiemo83 said:
Do we all not look for the most compensation for our effort?

I don't think most people would be happy about getting cut and taking the pay cut a lot of these PROUD athletes do. Look at Ted Johnson, he is constantly being reworked.

There are three factors here: 1) Making enough to eat (and live comfortably); 2) The pride factor in accepting a paycut; and, 3) Maximizing our compensation.

The Ty Laws of the world do not have to worry about #1, which is why so many fans were rightfully insulted when Ty Law phrased his situation as needing to eat.

#2 is a legitimate issue. Players like Ted Johnson have enough self-pride to accept a paycut and, in his case, a demotion from a starting job. Johnson struggled with that transition, but he is (in my eyes) a bigger man for accepting reality and still choosing to remain a Patriot.

On #3, the definition of "compensation" is in the eye of the beholder. For Tedy Bruschi, being a Patriot and receiving the love of New Englanders is greater compensation than a doubling of his salary as a Lion or Cardinal would have been. For Brady, the chance to become perhaps the most successful quarterback in NFL history is worth more than an extra $20 or $30 mil. on his contract. To Ty Law, "compensation" = salary. To many Patriots, this is not the proper equation. I don't blame Ted Washington or Damien Woody or Ty Law or Lawyer Milloy. But I suspect some of them may regret accepting their fattest free agent offer rather than taking less money to stay.

--James

mgoblue101415 said:
:LOL: A coach does what any coach would do and try to get a guy to stay and play. But no, Law had to friggin eat. And when he was told he wouldn't be a 1st round pick if he left early (a coach trying to get a stud player to stay) Law turned around and trashed Michigan, the coaches, said he wasn't given any respect...

That's not what any coach would do. Jesus Christ, this is college athletics you're talking about, isn't it? Where football factories like Michigan make millions of dollars off the performances of these "student" athletes?

Don't get me wrong...I don't feel sorry for the athletes in these big time programs. But, since most of them are receiving neither a salary nor an education, the least they should expect is a coach who is honest with them.

Seriously, you don't have a problem with a college coach lying to one of his athletes in order to try to milk one more year out of him? What if Law had believed the coach, and was then injured during his senior season?

If the alumni of the University of Michigan truly value winning at the expense of the most basic level of human integrity, that is a sad comment. But, how can you argue that Ty Law was wrong to draw attention to the situation? What did he owe to Michigan?

Hell, if I were the parent of a potential Michigan recruit, I would have been happy for Ty Law's warning on what the U of M coaching staff would do for...or rather to...my son.

By the way, are you talking about the Michigan coach whose drunken tirade forced him to resign in disgrace after that season?

dropKickMurphy said:
That's not what any coach would do. Jesus Christ, this is college athletics you're talking about, isn't it? Where football factories like Michigan make millions of dollars off the performances of these "student" athletes?

Don't get me wrong...I don't feel sorry for the athletes in these big time programs. But, since most of them are receiving neither a salary nor an education, the least they should expect is a coach who is honest with them.

Seriously, you don't have a problem with a college coach lying to one of his athletes in order to try to milk one more year out of him? What if Law had believed the coach, and was then injured during his senior season?

If the alumni of the University of Michigan truly value winning at the expense of the most basic level of human integrity, that is a sad comment. But, how can you argue that Ty Law was wrong to draw attention to the situation? What did he owe to Michigan?

Hell, if I were the parent of a potential Michigan recruit, I would have been happy for Ty Law's warning on what the U of M coaching staff would do for...or rather to...my son.

By the way, are you talking about the Michigan coach whose drunken tirade forced him to resign in disgrace after that season?

A coach trying to talk a guy into staying is wrong? Hell, who knows, maybe Carr really did think that Law wouldn't go in the 1st round, I have no idea. I've always looked at it as a ploy to get Law to stay. And by doing that Carr was showing the utmost respect for Law. He was saying I think you're a hell of a player and I'd rather see you stay at Michigan for another year than lose you.

And the players don't receive a salary??? Oh please. Were you shocked that Colorado used sex and alcohol to lure recruits, as well? Players at big time programs and even some of the smaller ones are taken care of quite nicely. People were saying, when Crouch retired from the Rams and paid back his signing bonus, that $500,000 (or whatever it was) was a lot of money to give up. The running joke was that, that cash was chicken feed to what he'd been making at Nebraska.

And integrity? Lying? In sports? So Belichick is a scumbag then, huh? He told Bledsoe he would get an opportunity to compete to get his starting job back, yet he never gave Bledsoe that opportunity. Bosses lie. College athletics is just another business, a very lucrative one at that. Anyone who things otherwise is fooling themselves.

And no, it wasn't Moeller who "lied" to Law. Moeller was gone. Carr had been promoted from DC to HC. And like I stated before, maybe Carr really didn't think Law would go 1st round. I mean, Carr was the DC, he knew exactly what Law was capable of. :shrug: Hey, do you think if Matt Jones had a year left, and his HC told him back in Jan, you should stay another year, you won't go 1st round, that he would have been lying? You never know what's going to happen when the draft comes around.

But for Law, after Michigan wanted him to stay, to come out and trash the university and the coaches because they had no respect for him.... Because they said he wouldn't go in the 1st round Michigan didn't respect Law?? Give me a break.

Law wanted to leave early because he had to eat... And he still wants to eat. Will somebody feed this poor guy???? :rolleyes:

mgoblue101415 said:

And integrity? Lying? In sports? So Belichick is a scumbag then, huh? He told Bledsoe he would get an opportunity to compete to get his starting job back, yet he never gave Bledsoe that opportunity. Bosses lie. College athletics is just another business, a very lucrative one at that. Anyone who things otherwise is fooling themselves.

To be honest, I don't know any of the details about what went on between Law and Carr. I was reacting more to your own spin on the incident; which I took as, more or less:
'If the coach lied to Law about his prospect of going in the first round, so what? The coaches job is to win games, and if that involves distorting the truth in order to get his best CB to stay for another year, that's OK. Any college coach would do the same thing. Law should not have disrespected the coach and the university, even if he felt that he was misled'.

As far as the Belichick/Bledsoe situation goes, there are 2 differences:

1) At the time that Belichick said this to Bledsoe, he very well may have had the intention of letting Bledsoe compete for the job. I do not believe a person is lying when he says what he believes to be true at that time.
We all know that circumstances change in ways that are impossible to imagine. That is why a certain coach once said "I reserve the right to change my mind."
Whether Belichick actually promised Bledsoe the opporttunity, or whether he was simply expressing his intentions at that time, we'll never know. We do know, however that words can be interpreted in different ways, and that a person's interpretation often reflects what he wants to believe.

2) Drew Bledsoe was a professional football player. I'm sorry, but I believe there is a difference between dealing with a mature adult who is making millions of dollars, and a college athlete.
Yes, I do expect integrity from Belichick. From what I have seen, I believe that the entire Patriots organization expects this, as well. Belichick is as cold and calculating as he needs to be in making tough decisions; he certainly is willing to withold information from the public in order to give his team an edge. But I personally don't believe it's in his nature to lie to his players.
Naive as I may be, I still believe that a college coach has an even higher obligation to be honest with his players. When these kids are being recruited out of high school, the coach comes into their homes and tries earn their trust.
When the athlete later comes to believe that this trust was abused, isn't it natural that he would be upset? Setting aside your blue and maize Oakleys for a second, why would you have expected any athlete to react differently?
Did Ty Law owe the university anything? If anything, it seems to me that it was the university who came up short on their end of the bargain. I mean Ty Law helped to earn a lot of money for Michigan. What did he get in return? Money? A legitimate opportunity to actually get an education?
I realize that Michigan is far from alone in its expectations of its football program; and what the university and alumni will tolerate in order to fulfill those expectations. But we all know that some are worse than others, and we have a pretty good idea of which programs are which.

POSTED 1:59 p.m. EDT, May 16, 2005 - www.profootballtalk.com

LAW, POSTONS NOT ON SAME PAGE?

Last year, there were indications that left tackle Orlando Pace wasn't behind the ransom-note demands made by his then-agents, the Poston brothers. Pace's apparent realization that the gulf between his expectations and the Rams' position wasn't as wide as advertised likely fueled a chain of events that resulted in Pace punting the Postons and, in time, working out a long-term contract to stay with the team that made him the No. 1 overall pick of the 1997 draft.

We're now picking up indications that Ty Law and the Postons might not be in harmony regarding the investment that will be necessary to sign the former Patriot to a new contract.

Law was released by New England earlier this year. He suffered a broken foot in October against the Steelers, and is still not at 100 percent.

Although we've heard throughout the offseason that the Postons are making yet another moon shot in their discussions with teams as to terms for Ty, one league source has informed us that Law has indicated that he only wants a "fair deal."

"Fair," of course, is a subjective term, and some folks want a lot more fairness than others. Especially when represented by Carl and Kevin.

But there's also a feeling in some circles that Law deserves a pretty sizable contract, given the current market for cornerbacks.

"If healthy," said the source, "[Law] is a far better player than Shawn Springs," who received a $10 million signing bonus from the Redskins in 2004.

"Look around at the money that has been spent in the league lately," the source added. "Fernando Bryant got a nice piece of change, David Barrett received way too much money, and the Falcons paid up front money to [Jason Webster], an undersized, effort guy."

Then there's Anthony Henry and Gary Baxter, both of whom arguably got way too much money on the free-agent market this year.

But those deals help set the market going forward, and Law (if healthy) is a cut above the rest of them.

"His age and the injury is a factor," the source added, "but . . . I would rather take my chance with a proven Pro Bowl caliber player who is eager to continue to prove himself, than spend it on some of the half-assed talent some teams are wasting money on, year in and year out. [Law] hasproductive years left, and eventually has the size, instincts, and ability to convert [to safety], the way that Rod Woodson did later on in his career."

Still, the question remains -- are the Postons and Law on the same page? Our guess is that, if they aren't, Law hasn't figured it out yet. If/when he does, he might be the next Postons client to become a former Postons client.

And an additiona post from profootballtalk.com:

POSTED 12:25 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 1:11 p.m. EDT, May 15, 2005

TY WON'T GET BIG COIN

In response to reports that cornerback Ty Law expects to maintain the same sky-high salary he was receiving in New England before his wheel cracked like an ice cube in a bowl of bisque, league insiders are questioning (again) the sanity of Law's agents, Carl and Kevin Poston.

"No f--king way [Law] gets big coin up front," opined one league source.

"Unless," the source added, "[Redskins owner Dan Snyder] goes apesh-t again."

But there are three obstacles to Law getting an above-market contract from the 'Skins. First, the team put itself in a major cap mess by trading Laveranues Coles, making it difficult to pay an eight-figure bonus to Law. Second, the 'Skins drafted Carlos Rogers (or "Carlos Joseph" if you get your NFL news from the yay-hoos at Yahoo). Third, the 'Skins are still leery about working with the Postons, who claimed that the team fraudulently failed to include a second $6.5 million roster bonus for 2006 in LaVar Arrington's December 2003 contract extension.

Teams interested in Law include the Steelers, Lions, and Dolphins. But we can't imagine any of them breaking the pig for a guy who might not be the same in 2005 after breaking his piggies in October of last season.

"No f--king way [Law] gets big coin up front," opined one league source.

"Unless," the source added, "[Redskins owner Dan Snyder] goes apesh-t again."

The fun part of reading this was guessing what the source actually said instead of: [Redskins owner Dan Snyder]

I'm guessing the actual quote was "f-cknut".

We should all be happy that we play in a league that has guys like Snyder in it. I feel sorry for Redskins fans, who are as dedicated a group as anyone and have to suffer through the misery of his regime.

Hawg73 said:
....I feel sorry for Redskins fans, who are as dedicated a group as anyone and have to suffer through the misery of his regime.
As a longtime Patriots fans, as many of us are, I believe there is a difference between the past Patriots owners and Snyder. The Sullivans didn't seem to have a clue most of the time. Kiam and Orthwein didn't care.

Snyder seems to be trying, albeit, too hard. So hard that he's throwing around lots of bad money.

UM, that would put Snyder into the clueless category so I guess we could identify with the Skins fans...Never mind.:D

Back