Tyquan Thornton: Collarbone Injury

Really disappointing, hate to see this. You can only break your collarbone so many times. Hopefully they ease him back when he is recovered.

Really disappointing, hate to see this. You can only break your collarbone so many times. Hopefully they ease him back when he is recovered.

Any sources for that claim about limited number of collarbone breaks?

As far as I know, broken collarbones are extremely common and generally low risk/complication injuries. Cyclists break them as often as they shower, and are normally back on the bike within 2-4 weeks, in most cases.

I assume it happened when he had 3-4 defenders land on him as they tackled. The lesson here is to go down and not fight a convoy of 3+ defenders. The lost time sucks, but if he can stay up to speed mentally while off the field and get back out there within a month, I don’t see this being of much significance long term.

If that is the time table then it's a big sigh of relief. I had the sneaking suspicion/worry that BB might IR him to stash him due to this and bring him later like Harry, or redshirt to put on weight. But missing a month might not be all that bad as long as he uses his time wisely.

Not necessarily broken, so you can calm down your scivvies pup tent... So, tell us, doc, if it is broken how many more times can he break it before he dies???😂😂😂

Last edited:
Not necessarily broken, so you can calm down your scivvies pup tent... So, tell us, doc, if it is broken how many more times can he break it before he dies???😂😂😂
It’s not about death. It’s not good to get more than a few breaks on your collarbone. It starts not healing properly. It only takes what 7 pounds of pressure? Generally a doctor will tell you to stop doing what your doing to break it after 3.
Maybe Aaron Rodgers is exception. I know he’s had a few as well.
I’m not being negative on Thornton so don’t turn this into that. I was happy about him from day one.
I will say this though, I said I was hoping he’d get time to put on some more muscle before going over the middle on a consistent basis and y’all start saying he can take a hit with the best. He is 6’3, 183. He does not need to be running routs that expose him to brutal hits.

8 weeks stinks. Hopefully they don’t rush him back like the Packers did with Rodgers.

It’s not about death. It’s not good to get more than a few breaks on your collarbone. It starts not healing properly. It only takes what 7 pounds of pressure? Generally a doctor will tell you to stop doing what your doing to break it after 3.
I’m not being negative on Thornton so don’t turn this into that. I was happy about him from day one.
I will say this though, I said I was hoping he’d get time to put on some more muscle before going over the middle on a consistent basis and y’all start saying he can take a hit with the best. He is 6’3, 183. He does not need to be running routs that expose him to brutal hits.
Rookies often get injured unfortunately. It makes what Chase did last year all the more amazing. His body was NFL ready from day one.

Yup, you're right. If he had more muscle around his collarbone, this NEVER would have happened. Maybe more neck exercises or steroid injections into his lower throat area might have helped. I mean, we all know that collarbone injuries are limited to skinny people. Fat fucks and bodybuilders are immune to collarbone injuries. Once again, It's goddam Belichick's fault he got hurt. You're right again, he should be running nothing but fly routes until he builds up that collarbone area. WTF...

Yup, you're right. If he had more muscle around his collarbone, this NEVER would have happened. Maybe more neck exercises or steroid injections into his lower throat area might have helped. I mean, we all know that collarbone injuries are limited to skinny people. Fat fucks and bodybuilders are immune to collarbone injuries. Once again, It's goddam Belichick's fault he got hurt. You're right again, he should be running nothing but fly routes until he builds up that collarbone area. WTF...
This is exactly why no one had him rated in the second round. He wasn't, isn't NFL ready.

Any sources for that claim about limited number of collarbone breaks?

As far as I know, broken collarbones are extremely common and generally low risk/complication injuries. Cyclists break them as often as they shower, and are normally back on the bike within 2-4 weeks, in most cases.

I assume it happened when he had 3-4 defenders land on him as they tackled. The lesson here is to go down and not fight a convoy of 3+ defenders. The lost time sucks, but if he can stay up to speed mentally while off the field and get back out there within a month, I don’t see this being of much significance long term.
Deion Branch (aka The Twig) learned that he extra yard or two he could get fighting big guys pales in comparison to the hundreds of yards lost because he couldn't play.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How often do people break their collarbone?

Image result for You can only break your collarbone so many times.

A clavicle fracture is a break in the collarbone, one of the main bones in the shoulder. This type of fracture is fairly common, accounting for about 5% of all adult fractures. Most clavicle fractures occur when a fall onto the shoulder or an outstretched arm puts enough pressure on the bone that it snaps or breaks.

You have poor rivshark all wrong. He actually trying to tell us good news. I think he means that when collar bones heal, they end up being stronger that they were before the break. Two or three breaks and you have a collar bone to make the Hulk green with envy.

Sucks. Mac's scoring drive had Agholor and Thornton both on the field & split wide, 1 on the left and 1 on the right. Their Ss were stressed and Mac hit Agholor for 45 with no S to help their CB.

The trainers originally thought it was a bruised collar bone. It's looking more and more like a collarbone fracture but no one I've talked to knows for sure or, if it's fractured, the severity of the fracture - displaced or not. Non-displaced fractures heal pretty quickly without Sx. Displaced fractures sometimes need Sx to realign them. 6-8 wks seems reasonable for a return to practice; 10 weeks to play in a game. I just hope BB doesn't IR the kid for the year although I'd understand if he did. We have a lot of good players who won't make the team & roster spots are valuable. Thornton isn't eligible for PUP since he's already practiced. So he'll have to make the final 53 before he can be IR'd.

Time for the media "we told you so" circle jerk to convene. :)
In this case, why wouldn't they? You trade up in the 2nd round for a wr that no scouting report had going before the 4th and this is what you get. Most outlets specifically questioned not his skills, but his readiness physically to compete at the NFL level, and you want to pretend it's unfair to criticize the pick? It was another bad pick, not that he can't or won't eventually overcome it, but because at that point in the draft there were other wrs available that could have been impact players for this team. You don't have to believe me, in about 8 weeks I'll list them all and what they produced for their teams while Homer's like you tell us how great Thorton is going to be when he gets back on the field.

Of course they would, but it would be trolling as it's an injury that would happen to Vince Wilfork in his prime if the same amount of pressure was applied to his collarbone. Not sure why that's hard for some folks to process.

Of course they would, but it would be trolling as it's an injury that would happen to Vince Wilfork in his prime if the same amount of pressure was applied to his collarbone. Not sure why that's hard for some folks to process.
I don't understand it either, though I guess it depends on what assumptions you have. If you want everything to look bad for the Pats, then you blame the injury on drafting Thornton in the second round instead of waiting until the fourth round. He wouldn't be injured now had he been drafted in the fourth round, but you know Belichick...total moron who got Thornton hurt by drafting him ahead of where the general consensus said he should go. :dith: :huh:

Not to mention that the idea that it is a stupid idea to draft players ahead of where the general media consensus says they should go. There isn't a team in the league that couldn't have several Lombardis in their closet There is never a sixth round pick or UDFA that would have benefited any team by "reaching" and drafting early. If some team had overdrafted guys like Chris Godwin in the second round they would have been well served. George Kittle was drafted late on Day 3. Any team that ignored the "experts" and drafted him in round 2, or even round one for some teams, would be super happy at this point.

This whole "He was projected to go in round four therefore you can wait until then to draft him because he is sure to be there" is so stupid that no one really believes it. It's just a way to be contrary which way too many people here love to be.

Back