UFAs for 2012

patsfanroach

Reaction score
SO looking at this "photo journalism" piece from SI I am wondering who is on your radar and who you think is on Bill's radar. Thoughts? I am hoping for a return for Welker and VOllmer but if they are gone who do they bring in? UFAs? Draft picks? Trades? This is not a team with a lot of holes to fill in the upcoming season but these are two of the bigger possible changes that is for sure. Anyone hoping for a Big Sey return? Ed Reed? We all know Bill thinks very highly of him but is he past his prime? Any WRs to replace Wes if he goes? I know that this is early for this talk, but it was on SI's front page so it got me thinking...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/photos/1301/nfl-2013-unrestricted-free-agents/?eref=sircrc

SO looking at this "photo journalism" piece from SI I am wondering who is on your radar and who you think is on Bill's radar. Thoughts? I am hoping for a return for Welker and VOllmer but if they are gone who do they bring in? UFAs? Draft picks? Trades? This is not a team with a lot of holes to fill in the upcoming season but these are two of the bigger possible changes that is for sure. Anyone hoping for a Big Sey return? Ed Reed? We all know Bill thinks very highly of him but is he past his prime? Any WRs to replace Wes if he goes? I know that this is early for this talk, but it was on SI's front page so it got me thinking...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/photos/1301/nfl-2013-unrestricted-free-agents/?eref=sircrc

i would have liked to have had Reed maybe 5 years ago, not now, and no the boat sailed on Seymour, the raiders ruined him.

For 2013, FAs, at a reasonable salary, who interest me besides WW and Vollmer are:

WRs
Dwayne Bowe
Greg Jennings

DTs
Cliff Avril (so long as his interview is good)
Henry Melton

Ss
Byrd (will cost too much)
Goldson (ditto)

For 2013, FAs, at a reasonable salary, who interest me besides WW and Vollmer are:

WRs
Dwayne Bowe
Greg Jennings

DTs
Henry Melton

Ss
Goldson (ditto)

Those are the positions I see targeted by the Pats in FA, too.

WR

I think both Bowe and Jennings will end up being way too expensive with Miami likely bidding for their services. Even Devery Henderson might be looking for more than the Pats would be willing to shell out. Bowe and Jennings probably end up costing nearly as much as just giving Welker his contract. OTOH, thinking in terms of #3/#4 type veterans who might supplant Branch, Domenik Hixon (6'2"/192) could get a look, though. He played for a mere $615k in 2012. And there's always Gaffney, I suppose.

I guess I'm just not seeing any veteran FA WRs out there who impress me who might also be financially reasonable. This might be the year that the Pats grab a couple young, developmental WRs in the draft, instead (and they already appear to maybe have Kamar Aiken and Andre Holmes lined up for Camp).

DT

Avril is a 6'3"/260# DE/DT who played for a Franchise Tag $10.6M in 2012. Aside from the fact that the Pats appear to be covered up with similar guys, what he's likely to command on the open market would be way above what the Pats would likely want to invest. Probably just as well to simply renew Trevor Scott at a reasonable raise.

Melton is great, but Da Bears ain't letting him get away.

Sammie Lee Hill (also DET), Mike DeVito (NYJ), Arthur Jones (Chandler's brother, RFA - BAL) or Vance Walker (ATL) might be more like where the Pats would want to go for veteran depth. Possibly Dorsey, if he's willing to take a significant cut (from $8.77M in 2012, but coming off IR). Even Alan Branch (SEA) might be too dear ($4.55M in 2012). This could also be a position for which the Pats "double-dip" in the draft.

EDIT: I keep forgetting about Desmond Bryant (6'5"/290, OAK, $1.93M in 2012) who FO grades as their top FA Interior DL. BTW, FO's Top Ten FA Interior DL:

<table id="wp-table-reloaded-id-687-no-1" class="wp-table-reloaded wp-table-reloaded-id-687"><tbody><tr class="row-2"><td class="column-1">Desmond Bryant</td><td class="column-2">DI</td><td class="column-3">4</td><td class="column-4">OAK</td><td class="column-5">UFA</td><td class="column-6">+16.5</td><td class="column-7">645</td> </tr><tr class="row-3"> <td class="column-1">Henry Melton</td><td class="column-2">DI</td><td class="column-3">4</td><td class="column-4">CHI</td><td class="column-5">UFA</td><td class="column-6">+15.7</td><td class="column-7">616</td> </tr><tr class="row-4"> <td class="column-1">Mike Devito</td><td class="column-2">DI</td><td class="column-3">6</td><td class="column-4">NYJ</td><td class="column-5">UFA</td><td class="column-6">+11.5</td><td class="column-7">635</td> </tr><tr class="row-5"> <td class="column-1">Richard Seymour</td><td class="column-2">DI</td><td class="column-3">12</td><td class="column-4">OAK</td><td class="column-5">UFA</td><td class="column-6">+9.5</td><td class="column-7">361</td> </tr><tr class="row-6"> <td class="column-1">Vance Walker</td><td class="column-2">DI</td><td class="column-3">4</td><td class="column-4">ATL</td><td class="column-5">UFA</td><td class="column-6">+7.6</td><td class="column-7">539</td> </tr><tr class="row-7"> <td class="column-1">Steve McLendon</td><td class="column-2">DI</td><td class="column-3">3</td><td class="column-4">PIT</td><td class="column-5">RFA</td><td class="column-6">+7.0</td><td class="column-7">139</td> </tr><tr class="row-8"> <td class="column-1">Justin Bannan</td><td class="column-2">DI</td><td class="column-3">11</td><td class="column-4">DEN</td><td class="column-5">UFA</td><td class="column-6">+6.2</td><td class="column-7">542</td> </tr><tr class="row-9"> <td class="column-1">Sammie Hill</td><td class="column-2">DI</td><td class="column-3">4</td><td class="column-4">DET</td><td class="column-5">UFA</td><td class="column-6">+5.6</td><td class="column-7">419</td> </tr><tr class="row-10"> <td class="column-1">Jason Jones</td><td class="column-2">DI</td><td class="column-3">5</td><td class="column-4">SEA</td><td class="column-5">UFA</td><td class="column-6">+5.6</td><td class="column-7">332</td> </tr><tr class="row-11"> <td class="column-1">Aubrayo Franklin</td><td class="column-2">DI</td><td class="column-3">10</td><td class="column-4">SD</td><td class="column-5">UFA</td><td class="column-6">+5.4</td><td class="column-7">285</td></tr></tbody></table>

SS

Agree about Byrd (only got $1.07M in the final year of his rookie deal) and Goldson (who took 1 year in SFO at $6.21M over whatever the Pats offered him for 2012) being way out of reach, financially.

Ed Reed seems likely to retire a Raven at the end of 2013 or 2014.

BTW, another veteran guy I'd consider for SS from the Bills might be George Wilson (6'0"/210) who's going into the final year of his second contract for $4.04M at age 31, but I doubt that even the Bills are stupid enough to screw with him by demanding a restructure for 2013 (which is about the only way he'd be available to the Pats at reasonable money).

There may be a few guys who could sign for relatively cheap as depth, and the Pats could conceivably pick one up for Camp. There might be an aging CB who'd work cheap to convert to safety (ala, Will Allen in 2012 Camp). Again, though, the Pats could be looking to continue their "youth campaign" through the draft on this one, though not necessarily with a 1st or even a 2nd round pick. A guy like Duke Williams (6'1"/200) out of Nevada who has played both CB and FS might be had in the 3rd round.

Anyway, my general feeling is that the Pats won't be making any major FA signings this season, but may be more likely to be filling in around the edges and back-stopping their draft board.

i would have liked to have had Reed maybe 5 years ago, not now, and no the boat sailed on Seymour, the raiders ruined him.

He was ruined before he went to Oakland. He just found his natural home there - lazy, inconsistent players. I must have been one of the few peeps around here who cheered when he left.

:pat:

WRs
Dwayne Bowe
Greg Jennings

DTs
Henry Melton

Ss
Goldson (ditto)

Maybe Giselle and Greg's girl could get together? :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

I swear I didn't see FO's ranking of free agents before making the post above, but they also had Hixon as their 5th-highest-ranked WR for 2012, behind Welker, Amendola, Stokely (!!) and Bowe and just ahead of Hartline and Brandon Gibson (STL). I'd thought about Gibson but, odd factoid, he had a much better season before Josh McD was their OC and again this season, post-McD, so I'm thinking maybe that wasn't a good fit.

WRT safeties, Byrd runs away with the top ranking at 23.7 for 1046 snaps. Ronde Barber is second with 8.9 on 1101 snaps. Kenny Phillips (NYG) is 3rd, but only played about 300 snaps. William Moore (ATL) is fourth, and Goldson is 5th. But then there's another significant dropoff to Jim Leonhard (only 271 snaps), Chris Clemons (MIA) and Jamarca Sanford (MIN).

Interestingly, Vollmer is 5th among OT, behind Clady and Andre Smith (virtual tie), then Cherilus (DET) and Beatty (NYG) who are nearly in a dead heat with Vollmer. After these, there's a major dropoff to the likes of Loadholt (MIN), Albert (KC) and Baker (ATL).

ALSO:

One more to add to the Interior DL list of FA (and another guy I keep forgetting about) - Israel Idonije, 6'7"/290, age 32. He made $2.5M in 2012 with Da Bears, had 48 TT, 7.5 sacks and a FF in 726 snaps. Seems likely that CHI tries to retain him and he might want to stay their for what would likely be his last season or two. However, with the coaching change and the recent team failures to get over the hump, playoff wise . . . Anyway, he sems like exactly the type of aging vet who the Pats like to try to attract for a "last round-up" with a proven contender.

One more bit of info - Greg Jennings' 2012 cap hit with the Pack was $7.32M, probably just slightly below what the Pats are hoping to limit Welker's cap hit to, and Jennings seems likely to get significantly more than that from the 'Fins, who have oodles of cap room to play with.

I swear I didn't see FO's ranking of free agents before making the post above, but they also had Hixon as their 5th-highest-ranked WR for 2012, behind Welker, Amendola, Stokely (!!) and Bowe and just ahead of Hartline and Brandon Gibson (STL). I'd thought about Gibson but, odd factoid, he had a much better season before Josh McD was their OC and again this season, post-McD, so I'm thinking maybe that wasn't a good fit.

WRT safeties, Byrd runs away with the top ranking at 23.7 for 1046 snaps. Ronde Barber is second with 8.9 on 1101 snaps. Kenny Phillips (NYG) is 3rd, but only played about 300 snaps. William Moore (ATL) is fourth, and Goldson is 5th. But then there's another significant dropoff to Jim Leonhard (only 271 snaps), Chris Clemons (MIA) and Jamarca Sanford (MIN).

Interestingly, Vollmer is 5th among OT, behind Clady and Andre Smith (virtual tie), then Cherilus (DET) and Beatty (NYG) who are nearly in a dead heat with Vollmer. After these, there's a major dropoff to the likes of Loadholt (MIN), Albert (KC) and Baker (ATL).

ALSO:

One more to add to the Interior DL list of FA (and another guy I keep forgetting about) - Israel Idonije, 6'7"/290, age 32. He made $2.5M in 2012 with Da Bears, had 48 TT, 7.5 sacks and a FF in 726 snaps. Seems likely that CHI tries to retain him and he might want to stay their for what would likely be his last season or two. However, with the coaching change and the recent team failures to get over the hump, playoff wise . . . Anyway, he sems like exactly the type of aging vet who the Pats like to try to attract for a "last round-up" with a proven contender.

Good calls, MM. Idonije does seem to be a guy to watch.

One more bit of info - Greg Jennings' 2012 cap hit with the Pack was $7.32M, probably just slightly below what the Pats are hoping to limit Welker's cap hit to, and Jennings seems likely to get significantly more than that from the 'Fins, who have oodles of cap room to play with.

But...he has a choice and don't you think he might like catching passes from Brady instead of Tannehill. I could see a 1 yr deal.

But...he has a choice and don't you think he might like catching passes from Brady instead of Tannehill. I could see a 1 yr deal.

Jennings will turn 30 on September 21st. I'd have to guess he's looking for at least a 3-year deal, probably minimum $7.5M-$8M per year (which is probably in the same range as the deal Welker is seeking. The 'Fins could certainly swing that and maybe a bit more per year. I don't see Jennings, this late in his career, tuning that down for 1 year, even with Brady.

If we cant resign Welker. I love to have Jennings here he is a big play WR . That can be Brady best Deep threat since Moss. I don't see the Packers letting him go. I can see a few Teams over paying to get him on the team.

Jennings will turn 30 on September 21st. I'd have to guess he's looking for at least a 3-year deal, probably minimum $7.5M-$8M per year (which is probably in the same range as the deal Welker is seeking. The 'Fins could certainly swing that and maybe a bit more per year. I don't see Jennings, this late in his career, tuning that down for 1 year, even with Brady.

I dunno. Welker already turned down 2/16. :shrug:

Couple of recent non-FA WR trade/cut rumors that might be interesting for the Pats.

In spite of the Coach Frazier's talk to the contrary, Percy Harvin might be trade bait. He's scheduled to hit the Vikes' 2013 cap for $2.68M in the final year of his current contract, which isn't too awful by itself, but I think the Vikes are likely to want too high a pick in exchange.

Anquan Boldin would cost the Ravens $7.53M to keep for 2013, but only $1.53M to cut (and they're tight against the cap, apparently). Though he was still Flacco's most reliable and productive target in 2012, Boldin turns 33 at the beginning of next October. Still has good hands and the body control to make some tough catches and the power to beat the press and block downfield, but he gets open now mostly through trickery (and shaky coverages) rather than by speed/quickness. He's definitely the kind of veteran re-tread the Pats have historically taken a flyer on, though.

So, casting about on various lists for DBs who are (or may soon become) Free Agents and who the Pats might be interested in for at least off-season work, I landed on the Cincy roster. Here are their top DBs from 2012 (* = free agent):

Reggie Nelson, FS: 14 starts, 83 TT, 3 INT, 9 PD -- age 29
*Terence Newman, RCB/LCB: 15 starts, 73 TT, 2 INT, 10 PD -- age 34
*Nate Clements, CB/SS: 9 starts, 51 TT, 1 INT, 5 PD -- age 33
*Chris Crocker, SAF: 9 starts, 41 TT, 3 INT, 5 PD -- age 32
*Pacman Jones, CB: 5 starts, 37 TT, 0 INT, 9 PD -- age 29
Leon Hall, RCB: 14 starts, 37 TT, 2 INT, 11 PD -- age 29

Not exactly a youthful group, but the core of a pass defense that ranked 7th in pasing yards allowed and 4th in passing TD's allowed.

They do have some younger guys on the roster, but Safeties Taylor Mays (24) and Jeromy Miles (25) contributed very little in 2012, and Dre Kirkpatrick (23), Robert Sands (23), Brandon Ghee (25) plus a couple rookie UDFA DBs were all on IR. Seems like they have a bit of work to do on their secondary over the next couple seasons.

I have to admit after seeing those 2 games yesterday I'm more than a little jealous of the WR's those teams have. If only Brady had WR weapons like Rogers and PM. I put Boldin in there, too.

How good would Brady look with 2 of those legitimate WRs on the receiving end?

Back