Useless Observation: Jersey Numbers

Maxjax

Reaction score
So when I watched the Wilfork mic'ed up thing, I chuckled at his "you're the black Tedy Bruschi" line.

Got me kind of thinking how odd it is to see guys wearing the jersey numbers of past players who contributed to the championships. Ty Law's #24, McGinest's #55, even Bledsoe's #11 seems up for grabs. I realize football teams have to be a little stingier about retiring numbers because they've got to put 53 guys on the field.

One number that hasn't shown up, though?

Troy Brown's #80.

Aside from #12, you think any other digits are off-limits when the team turns over its roster again?

So when I watched the Wilfork mic'ed up thing, I chuckled at his "you're the black Tedy Bruschi" line.

Got me kind of thinking how odd it is to see guys wearing the jersey numbers of past players who contributed to the championships. Ty Law's #24, McGinest's #55, even Bledsoe's #11 seems up for grabs. I realize football teams have to be a little stingier about retiring numbers because they've got to put 53 guys on the field.

Troy Brown's #80.

Aside from #12, you think any other digits are off-limits when the team turns over its roster again?

80 has been issued to several players since Troy's retirement. They just haven't stuck for any duration. I believe Lee Smith wore it this pre-season. If 73 is still being issued, then every number but 12 should be up for grabs.

Troy Brown's #80.

I believe we had a TE at the beginning of last year that wore #80, can't remember his name but I think it was Smith.

Troy Brown's #80.

Lee Smith wore 80 in the preseason, and several other players have worn it for short stints.

Pro football teams don't need to outift 53 players as you put it. They need numbers for at least 80 guys during training camp (usually around 85 including PUP). During the season they need 53 players, plus 8 practice squad guys, plus they don't take the numbers away from players on injured reserve. So you're talking around 70 guys all season.

Add to that the fact that everyone is required to be in certain numerical categories depending on position. Numbers 1-9 go largely unused because only kickers or qbs can use them. Linebackers have to be in the 50's or 90s, receivers in the teens or 80s, etc, etc. What happens when you retire numbers is that you end up with a shortage of numbers at a certain position. With 73, 78, and 79 already retired, and 74 and 75 being used on defense, there are few numbers available for an offensive tackle. If you keep on retiring the numbers of guys like Brown, Bruschi, McGinest, Law, etc, you will soon not have enough numbers to suit up a team on Sunday.

There are other ways of honoring these players like a ring of honor, or the current Patriots hall of fame. All existing retired numbers should be put back in circulation immediately. Why are the numbers of Jim Hunt, Bob Dee, Bruce Armstrong, or even Steve Nelson, retired in the first place? Don't get me wrong, they were all very good players, but you certainly don't think of any of them in the same vane as a Johnny Unitas, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Bobby Orr, or the type of legends who truly deserve such and honor. In order to have your number retired you should be the type of a player who will forever be the face of the franchise like Orr or Williams. The type of player who is in the discussion of when talking about the greatest player who ever lived. You can honor the others, yet still use the numbers.

Just my 2 cents.

#12 is probably going to be the only number retired from the dynasty years

Lee Smith wore 80 in the preseason, and several other players have worn it for short stints.

Pro football teams don't need to outift 53 players as you put it. They need numbers for at least 80 guys during training camp (usually around 85 including PUP). During the season they need 53 players, plus 8 practice squad guys, plus they don't take the numbers away from players on injured reserve. So you're talking around 70 guys all season.

Add to that the fact that everyone is required to be in certain numerical categories depending on position. Numbers 1-9 go largely unused because only kickers or qbs can use them. Linebackers have to be in the 50's or 90s, receivers in the teens or 80s, etc, etc. What happens when you retire numbers is that you end up with a shortage of numbers at a certain position. With 73, 78, and 79 already retired, and 74 and 75 being used on defense, there are few numbers available for an offensive tackle. If you keep on retiring the numbers of guys like Brown, Bruschi, McGinest, Law, etc, you will soon not have enough numbers to suit up a team on Sunday.

There are other ways of honoring these players like a ring of honor, or the current Patriots hall of fame. All existing retired numbers should be put back in circulation immediately. Why are the numbers of Jim Hunt, Bob Dee, Bruce Armstrong, or even Steve Nelson, retired in the first place? Don't get me wrong, they were all very good players, but you certainly don't think of any of them in the same vane as a Johnny Unitas, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Bobby Orr, or the type of legends who truly deserve such and honor. In order to have your number retired you should be the type of a player who will forever be the face of the franchise like Orr or Williams. The type of player who is in the discussion of when talking about the greatest player who ever lived. You can honor the others, yet still use the numbers.

Just my 2 cents.

I think the Sox have the proper rules, the player must be in the Hall of Fame (not the team's, but the league's). That means 73, 56 and 40 would be retired, although some may argue that Haynes did not play most of his career here, so he doesn't qualify.

#12 is probably going to be the only number retired from the dynasty years

I think if any number should be retired it should be #80 . Troy Brown earned the nickname Mr. patriot. He did what ever he could to help out the team. He played offense , special teams & defense.

I think if any number should be retired it should be #80 . Troy Brown earned the nickname Mr. patriot. He did what ever he could to help out the team. He played offense , special teams & defense.
Troy became a very good slot receiver, who also played well on special teams, and occasionally helped out on defense. He was a backup for the early part of his career, but developed into a solid starter......but his name will never come up when discussing Pro Football Hall of Fame candidates, or the great receivers of all time. Like Bruschi, he played a big role in the team character of the Patriots Super Bowl teams, but neither is an all time NFL great. If you retire their numbers, there will be no end to it. The only guy from the Super Bowl teams who should get consideration is Brady.

Troy became a very good slot receiver, who also played well on special teams, and occasionally helped out on defense. He was a backup for the early part of his career, but developed into a solid starter......but his name will never come up when discussing Pro Football Hall of Fame candidates, or the great receivers of all time. Like Bruschi, he played a big role in the team character of the Patriots Super Bowl teams, but neither is an all time NFL great. If you retire their numbers, there will be no end to it. The only guy from the Super Bowl teams who should get consideration is Brady.

Brady is the only sure fire Lock for the Pro football HOF. IF you go by That only a few Patriot Number would have to be Unretired. I think it should be who sacrificed and meant the most to the team. Getting your Number retired is the second biggest thing a player Hope for #1 being the HOF.

Troy Brown's #80.

I know what you mean. It was a bit sad to see Hernandez wearing number 81 this year. I felt they should have retired it.

Speaking of Jerseys, anyone know where I can get a Patriots Jersey?? :coffee:

Cheers, BostonTim

Can't disagree more. I love Troy, one of my all-time favorites, but he's really a fan favorite, hard-working type player. He was never a dominant player. Appreciate his contributions, honor him accordingly, but not close to being a guy whose jersey should be retired.

Back