Veteran WR Joey Galloway visits Patriots

NewsZombieBot

Newsie
Reaction score
Exploring potential receiver options after losing Jabar Gaffney in free agency, the Patriots host Joey Galloway on a visit.

More...

Holt Asks To Be Released

I'd rather have this guy:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/holt-asks-to-be-released/
Realizing he no longer fits in the team’s plans, seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Torry Holt has asked for his release from the Rams, league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday.

The Rams have been shopping Holt, 32, on the trade market, but so far there have been no takers. Holt is due a $1.25 million roster bonus on March 17, so it’s unlikely he will be a Ram beyond then.

But with free-agent wide receivers being signed daily around the NFL, and hundreds of millions of dollars already spent six days into free agency, Holt is seeking some closure to his time in St. Louis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pats ought to offer the Rams a high 2nd-round pick for Chris Long, and then get Holt thrown in to seal the deal. That sounds like fair market, doesn't it? ;)

I'd rather have this guy:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/03/holt-asks-to-be-released/
Realizing he no longer fits in the team’s plans, seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Torry Holt has asked for his release from the Rams, league sources told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday.

The Rams have been shopping Holt, 32, on the trade market, but so far there have been no takers. Holt is due a $1.25 million roster bonus on March 17, so it’s unlikely he will be a Ram beyond then.

But with free-agent wide receivers being signed daily around the NFL, and hundreds of millions of dollars already spent six days into free agency, Holt is seeking some closure to his time in St. Louis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pats ought to offer the Rams a high 2nd-round pick for Chris Long, and then get Holt thrown in to seal the deal. That sounds like fair market, doesn't it? ;)
Holt or Galloway would be the perfect WR to line up opposite Moss, allowing an even more intimidating 3-WR sets with Welker in the mix. Opposing secondaries wouldn't even know what hit them.

Holt or Galloway would be the perfect WR to line up opposite Moss, allowing an even more intimidating 3-WR sets with Welker in the mix. Opposing secondaries wouldn't even know what hit them.

I would think Holt would be scarier than Galloway, just because Galloway has been kind of hanging on for the last few years.

They'd be most scared of Marvin Harrison though. Mainly because they'd be afraid to get shot trying to jam the guy on the line.

I would think Holt would be scarier than Galloway, just because Galloway has been kind of hanging on for the last few years.
True, but who has backed up Galloway in the past? When the opposing secondary is already double teaming Moss and trying to get their safeties in Welker's face, imagine how many looks Galloway would get then?

But true, Holt would be a better choice, but that's like saying the Uzi is more lethal than the M-16 :p

They'd be most scared of Marvin Harrison though. Mainly because they'd be afraid to get shot trying to jam the guy on the line.

I am really surprised that no one has shown any interest in Marvin. I know his age is a factor, but the guy still has a lot left in the tank. I've heard nothing at all about any interest in him. Weird...

I am really surprised that no one has shown any interest in Marvin. I know his age is a factor, but the guy still has a lot left in the tank. I've heard nothing at all about any interest in him. Weird...

It's a combination of his age, his apparent unwillingness to restructure his contract and the implication that he wants another big pay day in 2009 and how he looked last year (and the year before when he came back) -- which wasn't all that good when I saw him. His off the field stuff could be playing a role, too.

I think Galloway makes more sense. Holt is still probably a #1-caliber WR and will command more money. Galloway would be a perfect complimentary receiver (if he can stay on the field) to Moss/Welker.

I liked what Stallworth did for the Patriots in '07, stretching the field for Welker and Moss. Stallworth really was an important part of that historic passing game. If one of these veterans has that in him, consistently, I think it would be a good pickup.

So, not that anyone here probably really knows, does Galloway, Holt, or Harrison still have the consistent ability to get open on the medium deep passes? I'll guess not....older legs and all. But they are probably better route runners than a rookie. It might not matter anyway, if the pats have a reasonable running-game; they can win without passing for 5,000 yards, for sure. There's more than one way to skin a cat.....

Maybe this tight end Baker can fit the bill anyway. And he must know he won't get the ball over and over again, like a Moss or Welker. So that's in his favor...he probably wouldn't complain. One of these other older guys might, I stress might, lose interest.

Win any way you can, but I'm a fan of a solid running-game. I'd like to see them ram the ball down the opponent's throat.

he could fill the void left by gaffney in the offense. He would be a very good #3 wr.

I'd be happy with either Galloway or Holt as a number 3

I liked what Stallworth did for the Patriots in '07, stretching the field for Welker and Moss. Stallworth really was an important part of that historic passing game. If one of these veterans has that in him, consistently, I think it would be a good pickup.

So, not that anyone here probably really knows, does Galloway, Holt, or Harrison still have the consistent ability to get open on the medium deep passes? I'll guess not....older legs and all. But they are probably better route runners than a rookie. It might not matter anyway, if the pats have a reasonable running-game; they can win without passing for 5,000 yards, for sure. There's more than one way to skin a cat.....

Maybe this tight end Baker can fit the bill anyway. And he must know he won't get the ball over and over again, like a Moss or Welker. So that's in his favor...he probably wouldn't complain. One of these other older guys might, I stress might, lose interest.

Win any way you can, but I'm a fan of a solid running-game. I'd like to see them ram the ball down the opponent's throat.

Passing attack has worked here for as far back as brady has been here. We really do not have a number 1 running back to carry the load and the formation the pats run out of now, means quick draws and counters, they are just not a pound the ball 40 times a game team at this point and they do not really have the personal for it, they have much better pass blocking than run blocking, so I would not expect the ram the ball down the oppenents throat anytime soon, so we will just have to see what that gimp QB can do.

Back