Vikings on The History Channel

I'm actually going to rule out "the plague." He's not showing anything remotely similar to pubonic plague symptoms.

You make a good point about why is no one else exhibiting these issues. That's why my money is actually on "****ed himself up falling out of the siege tower."

:spock:

It's actually called the "bubonic plague" and is where we get the phrase "have a booboo" for an injury.

Regarding him not having any anti-bodies to a local diseases, I'm not so sure about that.

Typically populations have to be much more isolated from each other for an extended period of time for that to occur. Scandinavia and France simply aren't far enough apart for that level of isolation to occur.

E-P-I-C!

Great finale. But I hate how the season is so short and we have to wait so long between seasons. Actually I was hoping for a split season, or two "seasons" a year like Survivor does.

A criticism of the finale: Count Odo and that other chick in his dungeon. WTF? So he's a kinky, f**ked up individual. Who cares? What does that have to do with the story at all? There's limited time left in the show. The director shouldn't be wasting time on Odo's kinks.

E-P-I-C!

Great finale. But I hate how the season is so short and we have to wait so long between seasons. Actually I was hoping for a split season, or two "seasons" a year like Survivor does.

A criticism of the finale: Count Odo and that other chick in his dungeon. WTF? So he's a kinky, f**ked up individual. Who cares? What does that have to do with the story at all? There's limited time left in the show. The director shouldn't be wasting time on Odo's kinks.

You're working under the assumption that Odo is a "one-off" character that will have no bearing on Season 4. I'm willing to wager that Odo's masochistic tendencies will be a plot point when the Northmen return to Paris.

And Ragnar...what a freaking badass. Pops out of the coffin, takes Gisla hostage, and simply says "I win".
Posted via Mobile Device

E-P-I-C!

It was that. Very entertaining.

I loved the Trojan Ragnar, but I don't know how his pall-bearers ended up with battle axes. The Franks were caught with their codpieces down there and so was I. I thought he was really dead, but that's why the scene worked so well. It was triumphant.

I don't know if the virgin Gisela is ready for the Rollo experience just yet. Maybe she'll turn out to like bad boys. She's a fiesty one. In regards to the Count Odo/Christian Gray scene, I'm thinking he will likely teach the Princess a lesson for jilting him at some point next season. And she won't get the option of using a safe-word.

Great scene in the dragon boat when Ragnar lets Floki know what he is not off the hook. And after building such an excellent coffin.

Overall, a tremendous season and I wish we didn't have to wait so long for the next adventure. I love this show.

Seems like their story contains quite a bit of actual history.

From Wiki.

Invasion and siege[edit]

In March 845,[5] a fleet of 120 Danish Viking ships[1][6] containing more than 5,000 men[7] entered the Seine under the command of a Danish chieftain[8] named "Reginherus", or Ragnar.[1] This Ragnar has often been tentatively identified with the legendary saga figure Ragnar Lodbrok, but the historicity of the latter remains a disputed issue among historians.[5][7] In or around 841, Ragnar had been awarded land in Turholt, Frisia by Charles the Bald, but he eventually lost the land as well as the favour of the king.[9] Ragnar's Vikings raided Rouen on their way up the Seine in 845,[8] and in response to the invasion, determined not to let the royal Abbey of Saint-Denis (near Paris) be destroyed,[8] Charles assembled an army which he divided into two parts, one for each side of the river.[5] Ragnar attacked and defeated one of the divisions of the smaller Frankish army, and took 111 of their men as prisoners and hanged them on an island on the Seine.[5] This was done to honor the Norse god Odin,[1] as well as to incite terror in the remaining Frankish forces.[5]

The Vikings finally arrived in Paris on either Easter Sunday, 28 March,[5] or Easter Day, 29 March,[8] entered the city and plundered it.[5][8] During the siege, a plague broke out in their camp. The Norse had been exposed to the Christian religion, and after first praying to the Norse gods, they undertook a fast, acting on the advice of one of their Christian prisoners, and the plague subsided.[10] The Franks could not assemble any effective defence against the invaders,[5] and the Vikings withdrew only after being paid a ransom of 7,000 livres (French pounds) of silver and gold by Charles the Bald,[9] amounting to approximately 2,570 kilograms (5,670 lb).[11] Considering Ragnar's earlier loss of land by Charles, the substantial payment may also have been regarded as some form of compensation for Ragnar's loss, and the invasion itself as an attack of revenge.[9] In any case, this would be the first of a total of thirteen payments of so-called Danegeld to Viking raiders by the Franks[1] (although the term itself is not expressly known to have been used at this particular point).[12] While agreeing to withdraw from Paris, Ragnar pillaged several sites along the coast on the return voyage, including the Abbey of Saint Bertin.[8]

Although Charles has been criticised severely for granting the large ransom payment to the Vikings, he had other more critical issues to deal with at the same time, including disputes with his brothers, regional revolts and disgruntled nobles, as well as pressure from abroad. Since he would have trouble trusting his own counts to assemble and lead troops to defeat Ragnar's large force militarily, paying them off instead would buy Charles time, and possibly peace from further Viking raids—at least in the near future

The show included the splittng of the army on two sides of the river, they just placed that in Mercia instead of France.

Rollo, looks like he'll be the first Duke of Normandy.

~possible spoiler~

This too is historically accurate, but the timeline is off.

The last attack on Paris by the Vikings was in the 880's and the city was defended by a man named Odo. There was a viking in the invading force named Rollo, who did become the first Duke of Normandy

Just caught up.

Hey, playoff hockey is the BEST!

Phenomenal episode! Phenomenal season!

What a fake pulled off by Ragnar and Bjorn. Epic!

Odo's kink must end up playing a storyline next year. He's a fool. The one he whips is hotter than the princess he wants to put the pork in.

Absolutely LOVED Ragnar whispering to Flokki on the water of his knowledge of Athelstan. Chilling.

Season ends too soon. The best show on TV.

Did anyone watch season four? I'm just getting around to it finally...I sort of forgot how good this show is. If they ever decide Ragnar needs to die, I think Björn could easily replace him. His character is pretty badass now. Halfway through a binge-a-thon at the moment.

Did anyone watch season four? I'm just getting around to it finally...I sort of forgot how good this show is. If they ever decide Ragnar needs to die, I think Björn could easily replace him. His character is pretty badass now. Halfway through a binge-a-thon at the moment.

I watched it. It was a great season. Bjorn has become a complete badass for sure.

Really? I got about halfway through and lost interest. I feel like the show is/was going seriously downhill compared to the first season or two. Maybe I'll have to go back and finish.

Really? I got about halfway through and lost interest. I feel like the show is/was going seriously downhill compared to the first season or two. Maybe I'll have to go back and finish.

Got to get by the whole Ragnar idiocy during first half of season

Back