Was I too heavy handed?

southcarolina

But, really, im not southcarolina
Reaction score
Short story (OK not so short :) ).....13 yr old seventh grader, honor student taking advanced placement classes in math, language arts, social studies, and science. Had some "effort" issues in the first 9 weeks that caused his grades to slip a bit, we discussed it, got the problem fixed, grades went up, 2nd 9 weeks were all A's.

We kind of chalked it up to culture shock, as in our district all 6th graders go to one school made up of exclusively 6th graders. They do a lot of social indoctrination (like a zero tolerance hands off policy), but as far as school work its more like extended elementary school. Moving to 7th grade this year was the first time our son had ever been held 100% accountable for every assignment. IOW, in the past his history as "good kid" and "excellent student" i think got him off the hook sometimes when he didnt give his very best. This year, his teachers are giving him zero slack, and he is paying.

He got his report card this Monday, 2 B's 2 C's and a D. Mind you, his test scores grades are all for the most part good. His grades are suffering for stupid ass things like not filling out reading logs (and he reads incessantly) and not turning in homework assignments on time.

Today i layed down the hammer on him.

1) Quit soccer (one 1 hr practice and 1 1 1/2 hour game a week)
2) Quit piano lessons (one 30 min lesson a week)
3) Quit after school band (1 1/2 hour practice a week)
4) No marching band next school year (which he had been talking about trying out for), until he proves he can handle it

Also, we are making him repay the registration fees for soccer, and piano.

As a carrot, i told him that if his interim reports are all A's and B's he can pick one extracurricular activity to resume.

Now i am thinking maybe i was a bit harsh. But i felt like i needed to make a point.

Anyone else been in this situation?

I was going to make an offhanded wiseass remark but...

Not too harsh per se. But maybe a bit misdirected? Perhaps punishments should be in areas that do not enrich? Like internet times, tv, etc?

Taking away piano, band, soccer. These things are going to amount to HUGE when applying to colleges later. The well rounded student, involved like that is what schools are looking for. Believe me, the last of 4 just got accepted to school.

I was going to make an offhanded wiseass remark but...

Not too harsh per se. But maybe a bit misdirected? Perhaps punishments should be in areas that do not enrich? Like internet times, tv, etc?

Taking away piano, band, soccer. These things are going to amount to HUGE when applying to colleges later. The well rounded student, involved like that is what schools are looking for. Believe me, the last of 4 just got accepted to school.

Well we did limit his internet time, but honestly he doesnt spend much time on the net to begin with. TV is next to impossible, as we only have one, and its in the den. So, to limit his tv time, we have to limit it for everyone.

And honestly, our main focus wasnt to punish, it was to simplify his life, and give him more time to focus on school.

Well we did limit his internet time, but honestly he doesnt spend much time on the net to begin with. TV is next to impossible, as we only have one, and its in the den. So, to limit his tv time, we have to limit it for everyone.

And honestly, our main focus wasnt to punish, it was to simplify his life, and give him more time to focus on school.

Well, you do know better than some wiseass moron on an intrawebs message board. :thumb:

Too harsh

Cant take away everything he loves, he'll rebel.

I'd kind of agree with Bab there. Too much "shock" like that might trigger some rebellion.

And on a side note, generally at least one extra curricular activity is a good thing. I'd start in the opposite direction. Make him give up one of the activities you listed there until he proves he can handle it. If there's no improvement, then remove another, and so on.

Any chance he's blowing off the teachers because some of them are morons? Not that I've ever been in such a situation... :rolleyes:

Having flunked parenting 101 myself...I'll be glad to give you all the answers. :p

I'm leaning towards Sleeve's thought process and have to ask if Papa/Mama/Grandparents/whomever might consider having him bring his reading log to the dinner table for nightly review after dinner? It doesn't sound as if the material is kicking his butt or the extracurriculars are really distracting him so much as he's at an age (and it will get worse soon :) ) where he needs a little closer oversight. Think back to your days in the military (or not you hippie freak), long before the Officer ever knew there was an issue, the noncoms had corrected it through regular inspections and personal attention (meet me behind the latrine for some extra unarmed combat instruction). I had a kid who was smart and willing as they come, he just was easily amused and distracted by ants, grasshoppers, stink bugs, etc. He'd stand around in dreamland in the midst of a hazardous environment, happily there were two of us supervising who had no qualms about delivering a backhand to the breadbasket whenever we walked by, after a bit he started watching for us and trying to block the strike, when he learned to counterpunch it seemed he'd adjusted to the idea that situational awareness and prepared responses weren't bad things at all (disclaimer: backhanding your child should only be done in such a time and place as makes it easy for Child Protective Services to document your case, it shortens the investigation and saves tax dollars).

I'd say too harsh. Kids can definitely function with multiple activities, so long as they prioritize properly. Eliminating all or most fun non-school activities makes school even more of a chore than it already is. Maybe taking away some of it, but taking all of it away seems harsh IMO.

If it's okay SC I have to add my 2 cents worth here. Personally I loved band in junior high and in high school. My freshman year of high school my mom made me quit the band to focus on academics. I absolutely didn't mind academics except for the fact that I loved band even more. I really felt like i could have gotten a band scholarship.....I guess in the back of my mind of all the things that my parents asked me to do that was the one decision that hurt the worst...if your child is good at music and really likes BAND perhaps that is the one activity I would not eliminate. IMHO.:shrug:

I would have made him cut one activity max and would have cut out TV altogether (TV is on, you're not in the den) for a month. I think kids strive with the discipline that sports and music activites bring. My kids strive under constant threats. One day they'll realize it was all a bluff.

Welcome to the "I found my penis and think with that" age. Both my boys went in the crapper once they got out of middle school. Teenagers are fun.:thumb:

not that I know anything but it appears from here the problems seem to relate to unsupervised school work (reading logs, etc.). taking away the escape from schoolwork may not be the best option, expecially seeing as these seem to be supervised. I don't know the home situation, but when we had school performance issues that could not be resolved with a talk, we would take away the kids privacy. I kept a hammer and screwdriver close by and when they wouldn't "conform" I would take the bedroom door off by the hinges. for the most part my kids valued that bedroom door more than anything else. to get it back we would have to revisit the for every freedom there is a responsibility talk. good luck

I think he should secede from southcarolina

:coffee:

It sounds more like he is having problems organizing than with effort. Only you know that for sure.

I wouldn't have taken everything away all at once. The MS transition in a very hard one and I know when my kids went through it they had problems at first with all the nitpicking stuff forced upon them-like the reading log you mentioned.

What does he say about the grades? I have found trying to work with my kids instead of unilaterally deciding what to do has been the best thing I ever figured out.

Any chance he's blowing off the teachers because some of them are morons? Not that I've ever been in such a situation... :rolleyes:

No.The class he made the D in is Language Arts, and he absolutely hates the teacher because she is "mean and too hard".

I wouldn't have taken everything away all at once. The MS transition in a very hard one and I know when my kids went through it they had problems at first with all the nitpicking stuff forced upon them-like the reading log you mentioned.

The problem is that they are on Spring Break this upcoming week. After that there are only 7 weeks of school left. We dont really have time to do things gradually.

No.The class he made the D in is Language Arts, and he absolutely hates the teacher because she is "mean and too hard".
"Mean and too hard?" :blink: Holy guacamole batman! So "mean" as in unscheduled beatings and cattle prods? Verbally abusive? Demanding? Impatient? The door to your room removed to the attic? Etc.

"Too hard" as in WTF is "Language Arts" anyway? Choreographed American Sign Language? Rhyming contests from the Princess Bride? Translating Spanish poetry? Yeesh, talk about pretentious. Does she have a Hahvard accent? An I love me wall in the classroom?

Back