Week 10 Gamete Thread - Brownies

check out the https://www.cleveland.com/browns/
note - might only get one free story, but just the headlines are worth it.
ex:
Baker Mayfield outplayed by Patriots rookie Mac Jones, leaves blowout with a knee injury as Browns blow chance to gain ground in the tight AFC race

Baker Mayfield and the Browns fail the Mac Jones test: Doug Lesmerises

If the rebuilt Browns defense, which is almost completely healthy with Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah back but not quite himself, can’t stop Jones, then that’s a problem. And if Jones in Year 1 shows better touch, accuracy and decision-making than Mayfield in Year 4, then that’s a problem.

Truth. :coffee:

from the story "Baker Mayfield and the Browns fail the Mac Jones Test"

Any question about Mayfield’s future in Cleveland has to come with an answer. If it’s not Mayfield, then who? Maybe the rest of the league let Jones slide too far in the draft, but the Patriots didn’t tank for the QB who dropped 45 points on the Browns. They didn’t swing a big trade. They just took the guy who was there at No. 15 in the first round. Guys like that are sometimes available.

AND

The Browns will improve when Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt and Demetric Felton are back. But before Sunday, the Browns had lost three games to Mahomes, Herbert and Arizona’s Kyler Murray, and another to Pittsburgh because of the Steelers’ defense. Those were some of the best the NFL has to offer (though both Mahomes and Herbert have slumped since beating the Browns).

Maybe the way Jones played Sunday, he’s also a star in the making. Maybe a super-efficient day completing 83% of his passes for 8.6 yards per attempt was a sign of things to come.

It’s just that the Browns could have used that sign Sunday, as Mayfield completed 52.3% of his passes for 3.5 yards per attempt. Whatever Jones did Sunday, Mayfield should have matched.

AND

If the rebuilt Browns defense, which is almost completely healthy with Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah back but not quite himself, can’t stop Jones, then that’s a problem. And if Jones in Year 1 shows better touch, accuracy and decision-making than Mayfield in Year 4, then that’s a problem.

You know, I keep thinking back to Meyers meekly saying to the media when asked,"no, Tom hasn't really spoken to me yet". This was midway through the 2019 season.....
Nods head......I saw it all the way. It's pretty disgusting that it got to that point. No Boston legend left like that.

I get it, dude. We got kinda lucky in a sense Jones should have gone to SF at #2. Then BB was aggressive on Barmore because the DTs past him weren't worth where they were going to be drafted.

I mean, the guy had a masterful offseason off a pandemic.
My only point in all of this is BB seems to have had a phenominally great draft this past April. Yes, all the other stuff you bring into fold may be true but that's another topic to debate and not part of my point.

from the story "Baker Mayfield and the Browns fail the Mac Jones Test"

Any question about Mayfield’s future in Cleveland has to come with an answer. If it’s not Mayfield, then who? Maybe the rest of the league let Jones slide too far in the draft, but the Patriots didn’t tank for the QB who dropped 45 points on the Browns. They didn’t swing a big trade. They just took the guy who was there at No. 15 in the first round. Guys like that are sometimes available.

AND

The Browns will improve when Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt and Demetric Felton are back. But before Sunday, the Browns had lost three games to Mahomes, Herbert and Arizona’s Kyler Murray, and another to Pittsburgh because of the Steelers’ defense. Those were some of the best the NFL has to offer (though both Mahomes and Herbert have slumped since beating the Browns).

Maybe the way Jones played Sunday, he’s also a star in the making. Maybe a super-efficient day completing 83% of his passes for 8.6 yards per attempt was a sign of things to come.

It’s just that the Browns could have used that sign Sunday, as Mayfield completed 52.3% of his passes for 3.5 yards per attempt. Whatever Jones did Sunday, Mayfield should have matched.

AND

So, here's the thing. D'Ernest Johnson is pretty close to what Chubb does and Hunt isn't as good as he used to be when he played with Mahomes. I don't think the Browns will improve much with those guys back as long as their opponent isn't a moron team. They're predictable.

I think Agholor is a solid player. I think he's good. He runs all the routes, you can line him up anywhere and he can get deep behind a D like Bourne. Again, I don't look at stats. I use my eyes. When he gets open, he catches it and he can be good in open field.

It's the one guy in the SB we lost to the Eagles who I'd said would be the real problem because he gets open the fastest and runs good routes from all the spots. It's more quality and timing of what he does than overall production on a stat sheet.
22 catches, 335 yds and 2 TD in 9 games. Damiere Byrd gave you better than that last year.

My only point in all of this is BB seems to have had a phenominally great draft this past April. Yes, all the other stuff you bring into fold may be true but that's another topic to debate and not part of my point.
Well, we also don't get to pick at 15. It's the first time since Solder in 2011 that we picked anywhere near the middle of the Rd 1.

22 catches, 335 yds and 2 TD in 9 games. Damiere Byrd gave you better than that last year.
Yep. Not saying it's great or even good, but when you have a new WR who knows what to do in your offense, that's a good thing.

If he ends up with 6 TDs, 45 catches and 550 yards, I'd say that's a good first year in this system with a rookie QB. I am also not interested in playing Tony Mazz wet blanket after a 45-7 win because the other WR was more open than the others.

i remember earlier in the year seeing the cameraderie on this team and commenting on it. having a team that cares about each other doesn't mean they'll win the sb, but it's damn hard to have success without it, especially in tight circumstances. it's really difficult to predict, & can't engineer it. especially impressive with how many FAs were brought in. imo, speaks to the great job pro personnel and draft personnel did sussing out and bringing in the same type of player.

Yep. Not saying it's great or even good, but when you have a new WR who knows what to do in your offense, that's a good thing.

If he ends up with 6 TDs, 45 catches and 550 yards, I'd say that's a good first year in this system. I am also not interested in playing Tony Mazz wet blanket after a 45-7 win because the other WR was more open than the others.
Not for the money he's getting, it's not. Damiere Byrd was in the first year in the system, and he made the vet minimum, and played with a QB who couldn't throw, and had a better season. It's not ok. He has time to make up for it, but it's a massive, massive disappointment, and underachievement. If he were even average, the Patriots would be 8-2.

A WR drafted after Barmore and Rhambo would been nice.

Back