Welcome back Mac

Prometheus 441

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER : This kind of an off season post in regular season , and NO WE AREN'T PUTTING MAC BACK IN THE LINE UP. ( My attorneys advised me to include this ) .

The topic of this thread is to kick around the idea of not ditching Mac in the off season and keeping him instead.Although I have not come to an opinion about it myself , I can recognize the argument for such a move.Firstly , Mac's contract is entering Y4 and it would not seem likely his trade value would equate to anything better than a 6th round pick.This would leave the Pats in the unenviable postion of swallowing his contract and taking the cap hit.

Now , if the Pats retain Mac and move him to QB3 , then he becomes a safety valve.You draft your new QB1 , you let Zappe and Mac battle for QB2. ( because let's face it Zappe isn't that good either ).With Mac in the QB3 slot and stress free , you can see if you can find the reset button on him.
I know your thinking " Why would you waste time fixing a broken QB3 ?. " , and here is why.First off , he's already here and has shown glimpses of
having above average ability.Secondly , if Zappe is a dud , then QB3 might be a good solution.Third , if you fix Mac and your new draft pick doesn't fly then Mac may be an option.Finally , If you work on Mac and he improves , then so does his trade value.Although I am not sold on the concept , I get it.Having a safety valve has saved my butt on occasion.

I actually believe that Jones will be back next year. I don't think he'll have a real role on the team, but that's not in his control. Whether he is here next year and moves on for year five or is allowed to leave and escape Bill's purgatory, I think he will challenge wherever he lands. Calling out Belichick by reaching to past coaches and confidantes was his death sentence here in New England.

I'd see if we could get a few large bags of popcorn for him. Then sign a veteran QB, along with drafting a QB, maybe in the second or third round.

We should make the best offer possible to try to pry Mayfield away from Tampa Bay.

DISCLAIMER : This kind of an off season post in regular season , and NO WE AREN'T PUTTING MAC BACK IN THE LINE UP. ( My attorneys advised me to include this ) .

The topic of this thread is to kick around the idea of not ditching Mac in the off season and keeping him instead.Although I have not come to an opinion about it myself , I can recognize the argument for such a move.Firstly , Mac's contract is entering Y4 and it would not seem likely his trade value would equate to anything better than a 6th round pick.This would leave the Pats in the unenviable postion of swallowing his contract and taking the cap hit.

Now , if the Pats retain Mac and move him to QB3 , then he becomes a safety valve.You draft your new QB1 , you let Zappe and Mac battle for QB2. ( because let's face it Zappe isn't that good either ).With Mac in the QB3 slot and stress free , you can see if you can find the reset button on him.
I know your thinking " Why would you waste time fixing a broken QB3 ?. " , and here is why.First off , he's already here and has shown glimpses of
having above average ability.Secondly , if Zappe is a dud , then QB3 might be a good solution.Third , if you fix Mac and your new draft pick doesn't fly then Mac may be an option.Finally , If you work on Mac and he improves , then so does his trade value.Although I am not sold on the concept , I get it.Having a safety valve has saved my butt on occasion.
There's an excellent chance he's with the team next year - mostly because it's a dead cap hit if they cut him, and I don't think a team is going to waste $5 million on him next year in a trade.

We should make the best offer possible to try to pry Mayfield away from Tampa Bay.
I’d have zero issue with this. He’s playing great football. The proviso is though he will need weapons and a good O Line like any QB. If we got him in FA and spent our draft capital and the rest of our cap space on O lineman and receivers it would work.

I’d have zero issue with this. He’s playing great football. The proviso is though he will need weapons and a good O Line like any QB. If we got him in FA and spent our draft capital and the rest of our cap space on O lineman and receivers it would work.
He’s only 28! Mahomes age. I really think that Tampa will back up the truck for him but we have a ton of money so we could totally make a run at him if we wanted to. I don’t think it’s something Bill would do but if he is not here I think another GM might. At least I hope so.

Get Mayfield and Evans here? Draft a tackle first off then WRs or....make a deal to move up and get MHJ and pair him Mayfield...

i would not mind this. then use the Draft and build even more talent on O
You get a QB like Mayfield and upgrade the Oline and skill positions and this team is ready to roll. The defense is primed and ready.

You need a Blue chip QB to compete in today’s NFL.
I don’t know if there’s one in this draft, but Mayfield is not the answer.

I agree that it would work, but it will never win a Super Bowl. Mayfield works because of a wild streak which also goes bad once in awhile. Mayfield will never win 4 in a row against the league's best teams (the playoffs) without having an implosion. I prefer to draft a guy that might win a Super Bowl.

I agree that it would work, but it will never win a Super Bowl. Mayfield works because of a wild streak which also goes bad once in awhile. Mayfield will never win 4 in a row against the league's best teams (the playoffs) without having an implosion. I prefer to draft a guy that might win a Super Bowl.
100%

Back