TBrownslady

BINGO!
Reaction score
Oh I :heart: this man so much :)

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/sports/BO75249/

After run at perfection, Patriots' Welker enjoying time off
OKLAHOMA CITY -- After the grind of a perfect regular season and a Super Bowl run, New England Patriots receiver Wes Welker allowed himself a few weeks to be a regular person again.

Back home in Oklahoma, that meant frequent trips to Braum's, a favorite fast-food and dairy spot.

"It was like a shake and a burger every day," Welker said Wednesday night.

Time ran out quickly on that diet for Welker, who tied for the NFL lead in receptions this season in his first year with the Patriots. After being honored by the March of Dimes' Oklahoma chapter on Wednesday night, Welker had less than 10 days to go before getting back to work with New England next week.

Since the Patriots' 17-14 Super Bowl loss to the New York Giants last month, Welker said he's gone hunting and went to Las Vegas with friends. The main theme has been clearing his head.

"It's been nice just kind of getting away from it. It was such a long season," said Welker, who starred at Heritage Hall in his high school days. "Being able to get back and really hang out with family and just relax, go on trips and different things like that, it's nice."

And after dealing with the pursuit of the first ever 19-0 season for so long, thoughts about an encore are closer to the last thing on his mind than the first.

"Most of the time, you try not to think about it too much," Welker said. "You're just relaxing and kind of getting away from football."

There is such a thing as too much relaxation, though. The burger-and-shake diet was going strong for a little while "and then I look in the mirror and I hate what I see, so I get back on the treadmill," Welker said.

Meals for Welker now contain a lot more yogurt, chicken and fish -- a departure from his frequent training staple of egg whites, Special K and salsa that helped get him in shape for a 112-reception, 1,175-yard season.

"I become more and more driven every year. I feel like I pick up things: training, eating habits, different things that I can do to make myself a better player," said Welker, who was recognized as the sports headliner of the year by the March of Dimes at its annual banquet honoring top athletes and coaches from the state

"I just add it into the repertoire of what I already do. Every year I feel more determined."

With the hard work has come some recognition. A cap or a hood prove to be a good enough disguise when Welker wants to lay low on a trip to the mall, but most of the time he's been pleased with how fans have respectfully shown their appreciation.

"It's been pretty crazy. Every time I go over to my parents' house, it's a signing session," Welker said. "I find myself getting later and later for different types of stuff."

Sometimes the conversation focuses too much on football.

"A lot of people like to talk about it. You're nice, and then OK," Welker said. "My mom, we've got a signal."

Welker said he's now back in the training groove and loving it. And the Super Bowl run just makes the offseason that much shorter.

"That's a whole month that a lot of other teams got that we didn't have the luxury," Welker said, "and I'm glad we didn't."

I think those of us w/ half-a-brain see where this is all heading

a new memberless-member name for the Greek Goddess

was_TBrownslady_now_WWelkRs_NomNomR

Oh I :heart: this man so much :)

TBL - He is really likeable and lovable, isn't he? Same type of traits (SO FAR) as his predecessor...humble, cute, smiles a lot, family first, plays his heart out on the field. Yeah, he is great, and I'm really looking forward to seeing him again this year.

(but....troy is and always will be the man)

I think those of us w/ half-a-brain see where this is all heading

a new memberless-member name for the Greek Goddess

was_TBrownslady_now_WWelkRs_NomNomR

Yeahhh but that is too long for people to type out for my name LOL

Have you a thang for blue eyes?

Yes a huge thing for blue eyes. Green eyes too but blue eyes most :) Plus he is an amazing player I saw that back in Miami, also he knows how to kick back, relax, and enjoy his burgers and shakes :)

TBL - He is really likeable and lovable, isn't he? Same type of traits (SO FAR) as his predecessor...humble, cute, smiles a lot, family first, plays his heart out on the field. Yeah, he is great, and I'm really looking forward to seeing him again this year.

(but....troy is and always will be the man)

SEE! Lisa understands :)

How did my nice story of welker turn into a butt slug conversation lol. You guys have freaked me out with the butt slugs and bed bug things :(

Back