Wes: No progress

Welker will lose this battle if he continues to take it to the media. I question all this stuff he says about the Pats owe him, he's been a good foot soldier, blah, blah, blah. The Pats and Brady made him into the WR he became. He was cut by the Chargers and not deemed worth it by the Fins. The guy is all pro because of Brady. He needs to be happy with the three year deal offered and count his blessings.

And yes, if a WR gets two hands on the ball, he is suppose to catch it. If he gets one hand on the ball, he is suppose to catch it, although less often. Welker should have caught that pass, but that has nothing to do with this negotiation.

Welker should know better than to swim against the current. I think his days are numbered and his good will is running out.

Well, of course I know that!

I'm just sayin, to me, it's kinda like a CEO who's raking in huge profits for himself, telling his employees that the company can't afford em.

Except that the CEO's salary comes from the same bucket as the employees' does; that isn't the case here.

SSDD

Sorry, Mid. It wasn't a good throw. And Wes hustled to get it, but it was just a crap ass throw. And it wasn't the first one.

Throw was in his hands. Made the catch 50 times during the course of the season.

Catch the ball, win the Super Bowl.

Seriously, how long are you people going to defend Welker for losing the Super Bowl? I know you all love the plucky underdog and whatnot, but enough already. He's shown his true colors. He's meh at best in the playoffs, and, like Willie McGinest said, a diva.

Throw was in his hands. Made the catch 50 times during the course of the season.

Catch the ball, win the Super Bowl.

Seriously, how long are you people going to defend Welker for losing the Super Bowl? I know you all love the plucky underdog and whatnot, but enough already. He's shown his true colors. He's meh at best in the playoffs, and, like Willie McGinest said, a diva.

Well. I think he should have caught it, but I cannot say he is why they lost the superbowl....too many things happen in 60 minutes of a game....I mean technically they lost the game when the giants did that last drive and scored to pull ahead.

TommyD, you must have been a BLAST to hang around when the Patriots were sucking balls for YEARS... Nothing makes you happy. I know, cut Welker and bring back crazy eyes Caldwell. He can probably be had for a package of beef jerky and a case of soda.

Well. I think he should have caught it, but I cannot say he is why they lost the superbowl....too many things happen in 60 minutes of a game....I mean technically they lost the game when the giants did that last drive and scored to pull ahead.

How bout if the D could protect a 2 score lead? How bout if the D could have had 11 guys on the field on the fumble recovery? that might have been nice, but no... Welker lost the SB

TommyD, you must have been a BLAST to hang around when the Patriots were sucking balls for YEARS... Nothing makes you happy. I know, cut Welker and bring back crazy eyes Caldwell. He can probably be had for a package of beef jerky and a case of soda.

1) Clearly you don't read my posts, ever. And certainly, you read none of my posts pimping Welker as the best WR in football over the first 12 weeks of the season last year. He went from "off-the-charts awesome" to "meh" after that. It's not me saying that. It's the stats. You know, reality.

2) Not once have I said "cut Welker". Not one time. I'd love to have him back for the right price. I'm not willing to overpay him just because he's the plucky underdog white guy who made foot jokes (which got him benched for a playoff game. Let's not forget that, shall we?).

It's simple. He's been offered 2 options which would make him a top 5-paid WR. He chose one of them. Fine. But if I'm the Patriots, I'm not going to bend over backwards to kiss his ass when there are 20 other WRs on the roster now. Just by sheer numbers, one of them has to be able to put up enough production in the slot to make Welker expendable.

Welker's not worth 5/50, or anywhere near that. He's just not. You may think he is, but he's a slot receiver in an offense where Eric Decker had 80+ catches. So spare me with how "irreplaceable" Welker is.

No one's irreplaceable. No one.

How bout if the D could protect a 2 score lead? How bout if the D could have had 11 guys on the field on the fumble recovery? that might have been nice, but no... Welker lost the SB

The defense allowed 19 points. Welker dropped a pass that hit him in the ****ing hands that ends the game.

So yeah, clearly, defense's fault.

Well let's cut Brady then, that'll free up plenty of cap space. I mean Brady is getting old and all. There's that nagging injury history he's had, shoulder for 2 years or so, knee ripped to shreds, subsequent repeat surgeries on the fore mentioned knee.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you because as much as I love football and The Pats, I don't have the time to study the minutia of the game citing stats of this and that. Yeah he didn't catch the ball but if the D could have forced a 3 and out here and there we wouldn't be having this conversation. Agreed? C'mon, you have to be reasonable enough to see that...

Unsurprisingly enough, it does appear that the Patriots aren't happy with this. Per Rotoworld:

According to the Boston Globe, Wes Welker's decision to go public about contract negotiations over the past couple of weeks "has not gone over well with the Patriots."
Welker made the ESPN tour a couple of weeks ago, dropping hints that he would hold out at least through next month's minicamp. The Patriots have subsequently reduced their long-term offer. The Globe believes Welker's actions have "only increased the chances that 2012 will be his final season with the team." Logan Mankins landed a lucrative long-term deal after calling out owner Robert Kraft, though Mankins had more leverage than Welker.
Yeah, Mankins was a top OG in his prime. Welker is a slot receiver. One of the best, but still a slot receiver. I'm flabbergasted that the Pats offered him $8 mil a year. Welker should have jumped on it.

but he'll play in 2012. 2013 is another year. We'll see what happens then.

cka203 said:
I'm just sayin, to me, it's kinda like a CEO who's raking in huge profits for himself, telling his employees that the company can't afford em.
Except that the CEO's salary comes from the same bucket as the employees' does; that isn't the case here.

SSDD
Faulty analogy, cka203, to compare BB and Welker to a CEO and an employee, where BB is raking in profits and then says he can't afford the empoyee. In the case the 'CEO' offered the employee MORE than he made and the 'employee' not only turned it down, he threatened to not show up for work. Anyway, a big difference between a) telling someone they can't afford him, and b) offering him $16 million.

1) Clearly you don't read my posts, ever. And certainly, you read none of my posts pimping Welker as the best WR in football over the first 12 weeks of the season last year. He went from "off-the-charts awesome" to "meh" after that. It's not me saying that. It's the stats. You know, reality.

2) Not once have I said "cut Welker". Not one time. I'd love to have him back for the right price. I'm not willing to overpay him just because he's the plucky underdog white guy who made foot jokes (which got him benched for a playoff game. Let's not forget that, shall we?).

It's simple. He's been offered 2 options which would make him a top 5-paid WR. He chose one of them. Fine. But if I'm the Patriots, I'm not going to bend over backwards to kiss his ass when there are 20 other WRs on the roster now. Just by sheer numbers, one of them has to be able to put up enough production in the slot to make Welker expendable.

Welker's not worth 5/50, or anywhere near that. He's just not. You may think he is, but he's a slot receiver in an offense where Eric Decker had 80+ catches. So spare me with how "irreplaceable" Welker is.

No one's irreplaceable. No one.

Completely agree.

Ummm...were you agreeing with me, cause...I just said that Welker did not lose the game.:huh:

Yes I was agreeing with you pointing out a couple other things that might have gone a different way to change the outcome... Agreeing with you and disagreeing with someone else at the same time

Yes I was agreeing with you pointing out a couple other things that might have gone a different way to change the outcome... Agreeing with you and disagreeing with someone else at the same time

Nice....One thing I do not do is ever ever blame an entire game on one play.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ngland-patriots-fear-commitment-to-wes-welker

• fb-like.png

share-button.png

Why New England Patriots fear commitment to Wes Welker

• ian_rapoport_120405_65.jpg
  • By Ian Rapoport
  • Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network
  • Published: <abbr id="article-time" class="value" title="2012-05-18T13:03:00-0400"> May 18, 2012 at 01:03 p.m. </abbr>
  • Updated: <abbr id="article-updatedtime" class="value" title="2012-05-18T14:25:33-0400"> May 18, 2012 at 02:25 p.m. </abbr>
  • Liked: 0 | Comments: 33

<table style=" background-color: #ffffff; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-right: 0px; float: center; border-collapse: collapse; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; width: 0px;"> <tbody><tr> <td style=" padding-top: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px;">
wes-welker-120518-wide.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style=" font-size: 11px; padding-top: 0px; color: #999999; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px;"> Charles Krupa/Associated Press</td> </tr> <tr> <td style=" font-size: 11px; padding-top: 5px; font-weight: bold; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 5px;"> Wes Welker has piled up 554 catches in five seasons with the Patriots, taking a bunch of hits in the process.</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
The New England Patriots and receiver Wes Welker appear to be at an impasse. The star slot machine signed his franchise tag earlier this week, ensuring he will earn $9.5 million in 2012.
His hope is for a long-term contract. But as Welker told the Boston Herald on Thursday, negotiations have "gotten worse." And the Pats reportedly aren't too happy with Welker's comments.
What's not clear is how far apart the two sides are. What is clear is that the Patriots are proceeding with caution when it comes to guaranteeing future money for a 31-year-old receiver who has more catches than any other player in the NFL since he arrived in New England in 2007.
Rap Sheet: Welker had no choice
ian_rapoport_120405_65.jpg
Signing his franchise tender was the best move Patriots WR Wes Welker could have made, Ian Rapoport writes. More ...

Why the hesitation?
Perhaps a look into coach Bill Belichick's past could provide one reason why the team isn't racing to hand Welker a bag of cash for 2013, 2014 and beyond. Examine the last two dynamic slot receivers Belichick experienced firsthand before Welker: Wayne Chrebet and Troy Brown.
When taking out the magnifying glass and inspecting the careers of the ex-Jets receiver Chrebet and ex-Patriots receiver Brown, one could find a reason to think twice before banking long-term on a player of Welker's age and size who lives among the giants over the middle of the field. While noting that each player's body is different, a player-by-player comparison could indicate why the Patriots have balked at offering a contract that pays Welker into 2015.
Some perspective:
When Belichick was with the Jets as an assistant from 1997 to 1999, Chrebet was an unlikely star. An undrafted player from Hofstra, he milked everything he could out of his 5-foot-10, 188-pound frame. In seven of his first eight seasons, Chrebet played in at least 15 games, catching at least 51 balls each year for more than 690 yards. But it all changed when he turned 30.
Limited by injuries -- most notably concussions -- Chrebet fell off the NFL map. The slide began with a 27-catch injury-plagued season in 2003, and then he managed just 31 for 397 yards in 2004, despite playing all 16 games. By 2005, at age 32, it was nearly over. Chrebet had just 15 catches for 153 yards in eight games before hanging up his cleats. With 580 catches, many over the middle, the hits collected and seemed to wear his diminutive body down.
It was similar for Brown, the 5-foot-10, 196-pound do-everything sparkplug who emerged from the scrapheap to become quarterback Tom Brady's go-to weapon during the Patriots' dynasty years. At his best, from 2000 to 2002, Brown averaged 94 catches for 1,011 yards and four scores. In 2002, he played at 31 years old (Welker's current age).

What happened afterward might be what the Patriots are afraid of. Over the final five years of his career, Brown never eclipsed 45 catches or 475 yards in a season. In 2004, two years after catching 97 passes for 890 yards, Brown hauled in 17 balls for a mere 184 receiving yards, showing just how quickly it can all slow down (though he did spend quite a bit of time on defense that year).
Clearly, neither player is Welker. His production dwarfs them both, with at least 111 catches and 1,165 receiving yards in four of the past five years. The only blemish, if you want to call it that, was in 2010 when he was recovering from ACL surgery and totaled 86 catches for 848 yards and seven scores.
And Welker (5-foot-9, 190 pounds) has shown no signs of slowing down. In fact, 2012 might have been his finest year -- excluding his crucial drop during Super Bowl XLVI -- with career-highs in yards (1,569) and touchdowns (nine).
But the other side of it is, he has caught 650 passes. That's a lot of hits for someone who has never shied away from contact. Welker does have a rehabilitated knee and is a constant on the injury report. He'll often tough it out -- once playing with three cracked ribs -- but the man does get banged up quite a bit. Last year, for instance, he was on the injury report 11 times for neck, rib and knee injuries. He was limited in practice from Week 14 on through the Super Bowl.
Set to earn $9.5 million this year, it's solid value for a receiver who puts up elite numbers. But then what, with several Patriots slot options waiting in the wings? Could Julian Edelman, Anthony Gonzalez or a player not yet on the roster provide a better future for a fraction of the price? If there is no long-term deal, these questions certainly will persist.
Only time will tell if history repeats itself, and Welker follows in the paths of Chrebet and Brown. It's enough to give the Patriots pause about offering big money past 2012.
Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter @RapSheet

Rapoport's point is, well, it's the main thing WRT Welker.

There's also Hines Ward - a bigger guy (6'0"/205) than Welker, but also one of the hardest-hitting WR blockers in the game (actually, one of the hardest-hitting blockers, period). He had great seasons through age 33 (2009 - 95/1167, 6 TDs), and just before the 2009 season, the Steelers extended him through 2012 - 4 years for $22 mil. But his subsequent decline was pretty quick (2010 - 59/755, 5 TDs; 2011 - 46/381, 2 TDs).

The reported original offer to Welker - 2 yrs/$16 mil, fully-guaranteed - to keep him through his age 33 season (2013) seems more than fair to me.

Back