What movie did you walk out on?

On Brokeback Mountain, I found a great deal of it uncomfortable but stuck with it and the principles involved are excellent, that's what I care about in most movies, music, etc as my nature as a deeper type of thinker asks of me.

I'm not recollecting any movie that I walked out on, but I was hesitant to watch Shindler's list for a long time as the subject has a tendency to hurt my soul, man's inhumanity to man, and its depiction in the movie is incredibly tragic.

I finally watched it in its entirety last year with my best friend and she couldn't make it 30 minutes due to the brutality and the hell the Germans reigned down on so many innocents. The black and white nature of the film and the images of the little girl in the full-color red-dressed little girl almost broke her for a while.

I watched it in its entirety and I can say without a doubt this is one of the most poignant and exceptionally well-created films ever made. The principles involved were stellar to the core and eminently life-serving which is where my philosophical interest lies.

Well done, Mr. Spielberg.
So Schindler's List is an interesting one for me. I was excited to see it (probably not quite the right word, but as a WWII buff it was on my list for sure) but came away not really liking it all that much. It was almost...too powerful by half, and not range-y enough. Like being hit with an emotional sledgehammer for 2 hours plus.

Overall, I found Life Is Beautiful to be more impactful and a better film overall. The Book Thief and The Boy In The Striped Pajamas weren't as good as films, (and neither quite stood up to the books they were based on) but I thought hit harder because of the emotional range they brought you through. Schindler's was more just...brutally numbing. Which was probably the point, but I found it just didn't hit home for me. I have found that my thoughts here are not widely shared. Which is totally fine.

So Schindler's List is an interesting one for me. I was excited to see it (probably not quite the right word, but as a WWII buff it was on my list for sure) but came away not really liking it all that much. It was almost...too powerful by half, and not range-y enough. Like being hit with an emotional sledgehammer for 2 hours plus.

Overall, I found Life Is Beautiful to be more impactful and a better film overall. The Book Thief and The Boy In The Striped Pajamas weren't as good as films, (and neither quite stood up to the books they were based on) but I thought hit harder because of the emotional range they brought you through. Schindler's was more just...brutally numbing. Which was probably the point, but I found it just didn't hit home for me. I have found that my thoughts here are not widely shared. Which is totally fine.

Yes, absolutely, Life is Beuatiful was a tremendous film I saw in theater with my ex-wife many moons ago Bengini did an incredible job with that one. And him climbing over all the rows of seats to claim his Oscar said all you need to know about his soul. Wonderful.

On Brokeback Mountain, I found a great deal of it uncomfortable but stuck with it and the principles involved are excellent, that's what I care about in most movies, music, etc as my nature as a deeper type of thinker asks of me.

I'm not recollecting any movie that I walked out on, but I was hesitant to watch Shindler's list for a long time as the subject has a tendency to hurt my soul, man's inhumanity to man, and its depiction in the movie is incredibly tragic.

I finally watched it in its entirety last year with my best friend and she couldn't make it 30 minutes due to the brutality and the hell the Germans reigned down on so many innocents. The black and white nature of the film and the images of the little girl in the full-color red-dressed little girl almost broke her for a while.

I watched it in its entirety and I can say without a doubt this is one of the most poignant and exceptionally well-created films ever made. The principles involved were stellar to the core and eminently life-serving which is where my philosophical interest lies.

OH yes, Schindler's List had me sobbing several times. First, over the cruel inhumanity and then over the love shown at the end by the survivors

So... The Pianist?

So... The Pianist?
I never saw it. I remember it being on my list for awhile, then it kinda got lost. Was it good? Or are you saying it's somehow similar to the movies I mentioned?

Edit:. Oh, I see. Similar sort of thing. Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Last edited:
I never saw it. I remember it being on my list for awhile, then it kinda got lost. Was it good? Or are you saying it's somehow similar to the movies I mentioned?
I never saw any of these movies, but I watched Swing Kids and found that to be heart wrenching. Terrible way to spend your teens.

I never saw any of these movies, but I watched Swing Kids and found that to be heart wrenching. Terrible way to spend your teens.
Yeah, good example. By focusing on connecting with the characters rather than the horror of the situation, it makes the situation more impactful. Gallipoli is an example of this in a different context. Much of the movie was only mildly entertaining, but you connected with those characters and the end was f***ing brutal.

Edit:. Oh, I see. Similar sort of thing. Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks.
It's a Holocaust movie with Adrian Brody in an award-winning role as a Jewish Pianist trying to survive the slums of Poland after the Germans moved the Jews in and then out of there to the Concentration camps. It's a must-see for this subject matter

I remember falling asleep during Star Wars in the theater and although I watched it at home, I never did get the hype over Pulp Fiction 🤷‍♀️
Pulp Fiction was eh...Tarantinos only movie that I liked was True Romance. Reservoir Dogs was OK I guess. It is said that he was involved with The Hostle. That movie rocked!

Last edited:
I didn't walk out because I couldn't, I was with the missus, but I so wanted to leave when I was dragged to see "The Holiday". A sickly, paint by numbers "rom-com". I hate those movies anyway but this one is by far the worst of them all imho. It's so fucking bad. And it had some very good actors, Jude Law, Kate Winslett, Cameron Diaz, Jack Black, Eli Wallach....

Just shows, it's all about the writing, the script.

Did you watch 'The Pianist'? I think that's even more shocking than Schindlers List and more disturbing. It's really shocking to see them in the Ghetto close up and personal under Nazi rule. It's a brilliant film by Polanski and Adrian Brody is excellent in the title role.

Polanski escaped from the Krakow ghetto when a boy and saw his mother die and hid in a farmers barn for the duration of the war. It's a personal film from him and it shows.

I find you have to steel yourself when watching moves like Schindlers List or the Pianist. You really have to prepare yourself knowing you'll be taken through the wringer. They are not easy to watch but are very important.

Did you watch 'The Pianist'? I think that's even more shocking than Schindlers List and more disturbing. It's really shocking to see them in the Ghetto close up and personal under Nazi rule. It's a brilliant film by Polanski and Adrian Brody is excellent in the title role.

Polanski escaped from the Krakow ghetto when a boy and saw his mother die and hid in a farmers barn for the duration of the war. It's a personal film from him and it shows.

I find you have to steel yourself when watching moves like Schindlers List or the Pianist. You really have to prepare yourself knowing you'll be taken through the wringer. They are not easy to watch but are very important.

I own it but haven't seen it yet, for no particular reason. I love Adrain Brody. Where did he go?

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely watch it soon.

Love the Pogues and certainly their iteration of Matilda. But Bogle wrote it so I often use his version to honor that. But again LOVE the Pogues.

Cheers

I also loved the Pogues, so I figured I'd plug "Crock of Gold" -- a docu about Shane that I watched on Hulu. It's heartbreaking to watch somebody
kill themselves in slow-motion, but he had/has a very keen, unique artistic intelligence and it shines through at times. I'd recommend sub-titles, though.

Back