What movie did you walk out on?

When I was an undergrad my mother would occasionally come visit me in Boston and we would often go watch a movie at a local theater. One weekend, while she was visiting in the late 90s we decided on the spur of the moment to go watch a movie. The movie that my mom wanted to watch was sold out, so I looked at the list of unsold out movies and saw that a new Paul Thomas Anderson movie was playing. I was a fan of Hard Eight that was released the year before so I convinced my mom and then girlfriend (now wife) to watch this movie, which I knew nothing about other than it was directed by Anderson.

After 45 minutes of pure embarrassment I couldn't take it anymore and convinced everyone to leave. Boogie Nights is a fine movie but I don't recommend that you watch it with your religious mother.

Mine was The Serpent and the Rainbow. I was a junior in high school and went with a buddy of mine. But the reason I went to the movies with him that night was because the girl I had been seeing blew me off.

I agreed to go out but I obviously was not a happy camper that night. Then both he and I thought the movie sucked so we got up and left the theater right in the middle of it.

On the following Monday back at school, I ran into the girl in the hallway. She told me she knew I left the movie Saturday night because I saw her there with another guy. She proceeded to tell me we practically sat right next to them. The truth is we never saw them.

Nonetheless, the movie sucked and so did she. 😆

I remember falling asleep during Star Wars in the theater and although I watched it at home, I never did get the hype over Pulp Fiction 🤷‍♀️

I remember falling asleep during Star Wars in the theater and although I watched it at home, I never did get the hype over Pulp Fiction 🤷‍♀️
Oh, my. Pulp Fiction was so much emotions for me. All positive by the way. LOL

I stay away from Star Wars if I can help it.

I've only walked out of one movie. It was Shoot Em Up with Clive Owen.

I loved Children of Men and thought this movie would be similar, but it was a cheesy action movie that was way over the top.

The scene that made me walk out was a baby placed on a merry-go-round and Clive Owen was shooting the merry-go-round so it would spin to apparently save the baby. I rolled my eyes all the way to the back of my head and walked out after that.

Oh, my. Pulp Fiction was so much emotions for me. All positive by the way. LOL

I stay away from Star Wars if I can help it.
Loved pulp fiction. My favorite moment may just have been Travolta on pointe. :rofl:

I've never walked out on a movie but a couple I recall giving strong consideration to:
Second Sight (with John Larroquette and Bronson Pinchot)
Batman & Robin (Clooney and Schwarzenegger)

The most unwatchable movie I have encountered in recent memory was Avatar. I have tried to watch it twice and have not been able to get past the half-way mark. I will never understand all the fuss.

I've never walked out on a movie but a couple I recall giving strong consideration to:
Second Sight (with John Larroquette and Bronson Pinchot)
Batman & Robin (Clooney and Schwarzenegger)

The most unwatchable movie I have encountered in recent memory was Avatar. I have tried to watch it twice and have not been able to get past the half-way mark. I will never understand all the fuss.
Tom Cruise in War of the Worlds and The Brothers Grimm. if I want to go to sleep these do it for me all the time. Not a TC fan but I do like the movie it was based on so gave it a try. Stupid mistake. The other fan of the book but I just kept falling asleep. I have tried a few times for each but just no.

British humor too subtle sometimes.
I love that movie but the rest of my fam are like 'nope!'
The book is an absolute masterpiece. The movie was pretty rough. I actually prefer the old (presumably $67.50 budget) BBC mini-series. But the book is an easy read, side-splittingly funny, and surprisingly thought-provoking.

I've only walked out of one movie in my life (though there have been plenty that I shut off while watching at home).

The. Dark. F***ing. Tower.

The book series is dramatically flawed, but still an amazing concept with complex and fascinating characters (and character development) that could absolutely be made into a top-notch film series. I'd been waiting for so long for someone to turn it into a movie. I had cast the movie(s) in my head multiple times. I tried hard not to watch/learn anything about it before I went, but because it was named after the whole series rather than any of the individual books, I peeked at the IMDB ahead of time.
Who plays The Man In Black? Matthew McConaughey? Interesting choice, but I could see it. Alright.
Who would play Roland? I was thinking Mel Gibson, maybe Clive Owen or possibly Sean Bean. Idris Elba! Okay, great actor. But wait!...he's black! There's a whole major part of the plot and key character development where his race is a massively relevant. How would they handle that?
Jake is some kid I don't recognize. Pretty much what I expected, that's fine.
Who would play Eddie? Maybe Aaron Paul? No Eddie listed. Hmm. How the...?
What about Detta/Odetta/Susannah? A bunch of possibilities in my head...no Susannah? How is that even possible?
Well, maybe it's just the first book. That would probably be a blessing. No, too many characters from later books in the series.
Alright, I've waited for so long (and after waiting more than a decade - on a CRAZY cliffhanger, mind you - between books 3 & 4)...I should at least give it a chance.

I went to see it.

I actually had tears in my eyes when I walked out about an hour in, which was about 50 minutes too late. It wasn't just that they tried to crush 8 books (about 1.3MM words - compare to LOTR at less than half a million!) into a barely-90-minute-movie. The plot was totally unrecognizable as were, for the most part, the characters.

It was just. so. bad. Now I literally can't watch McConaughey or Elba anymore, because it makes me so angry and sad.

I think the most unwatchable on it's own terms, rather than based on my own expectations going in, was Mortal Engines. At least it's freshest in my mind, since it was only a month or so ago.

I have no idea how I got roped into watching that in the first place - something to do with my kids, of course. But it was AWFUL. I gave it about 20 minutes or so. I assume there's no chance it ended up being good? Anyone know?

I've only walked out of one movie in my life (though there have been plenty that I shut off while watching at home).

The. Dark. F***ing. Tower.

The book series is dramatically flawed, but still an amazing concept with complex and fascinating characters (and character development) that could absolutely be made into a top-notch film series. I'd been waiting for so long for someone to turn it into a movie. I had cast the movie(s) in my head multiple times. I tried hard not to watch/learn anything about it before I went, but because it was named after the whole series rather than any of the individual books, I peeked at the IMDB ahead of time.
Who plays The Man In Black? Matthew McConaughey? Interesting choice, but I could see it. Alright.
Who would play Roland? I was thinking Mel Gibson, maybe Clive Owen or possibly Sean Bean. Idris Elba! Okay, great actor. But wait!...he's black! There's a whole major part of the plot and key character development where his race is a massively relevant. How would they handle that?
Jake is some kid I don't recognize. Pretty much what I expected, that's fine.
Who would play Eddie? Maybe Aaron Paul? No Eddie listed. Hmm. How the...?
What about Detta/Odetta/Susannah? A bunch of possibilities in my head...no Susannah? How is that even possible?
Well, maybe it's just the first book. That would probably be a blessing. No, too many characters from later books in the series.
Alright, I've waited for so long (and after waiting more than a decade - on a CRAZY cliffhanger, mind you - between books 3 & 4)...I should at least give it a chance.

I went to see it.

I actually had tears in my eyes when I walked out about an hour in, which was about 50 minutes too late. It wasn't just that they tried to crush 8 books (about 1.3MM words - compare to LOTR at less than half a million!) into a barely-90-minute-movie. The plot was totally unrecognizable as were, for the most part, the characters.

It was just. so. bad. Now I literally can't watch McConaughey or Elba anymore, because it makes me so angry and sad.
I heart those two men! But dang it King and his masterpiece deserved so much better.

Any time my man Stephen does the script it is AMAZING.

I watched Elba to simply enjoy as a creature on this Earth.

I've never walked out of a movie.

Back