What movie or tv film was too scary or gory for you?

Muse

Paleface
Reaction score
I love horror books and movies. Gory, not anymore

The family went to watch "The Stangers" when it first came out. There were only about six people in the whole theater. Two guys sat near the front. About 20 minutes in, one of them said outloud, "F&&&, no." He got up and walked out. His buddy followed but very slowly as he tried to watch the movie. We made the assumption he was the passenger of the two. The rest of the theater did giggle, we sure did.

Has there been any movie out there that was just too scary, or just too gory even for you? What film had you on edge?

I will admit that I do cover my eyes for certain scenes now where when I was younger I would watch every single scene.

The first "Paranormal Activity" movie did have me on edge among many others. I watched the first "Candyman" with my then boyfriend, now husband, and had my eyes covered for some scenes. That one had me on edge

I've been a horror, sci-fi fan my whole life and I still like a good one, but I just don't get grossed-out anymore and I actually enjoy it when a movie
can make me feel dread or fear.

However, one that was just too far over-the-top for me was "The Human Centipede" which I recommend that nobody watch under
any circumstance, ever. It's just too sick, twisted and lurid for words. I won't even describe it.

It crossed a line that I didn't know I still had inside me.

I've been a horror, sci-fi fan my whole life and I still like a good one, but I just don't get grossed-out anymore and I actually enjoy it when a movie

However, one that was just too far over-the-top for me was "The Human Centipede" which I recommend that nobody watch under
any circumstance, ever. It's just too sick, twisted and lurid for words. I won't even describe it.

I saw it and there is nothing even close to redeemable humanity in that movie. LOL

I don't think any movies are too scary or gross for me after watching Faces of Death when I was 12 sitting by myself in our cottage here in NH while my parents were out for a nice dinner.

While it didn't scar me or anything it did make me question the nature of mankind for a little while at quite a young age.

Then when I was in my early 20's I saw a similar movie that was all black and white and grainy as hell when I was trippin' on more than a couple hits of acid at my buddies house surrounded by his scorpions and spiders in their cages, yeah me and bugs have a not so friendly relationship.

In that movie, some African witch-doctor type had his patient sitting in a chair in the middle of the dirty-ass village and for the purpose of eradicating his demons cut his skull open and performed brain surgery while the patient ate and drank. That experience left a mark for sure but it was partly cuz of the acid and my buddy's strange ass girlfriend who was constantly rubbing me all over and trying to get me in the bedroom. LOL

Strange days, indeed.

You and me both, buddy. Not sure why, I been like this my whole life with film and books.

I saw it and there is nothing even close to redeemable humanity in that movie. LOL

I don't think any movies are too scary or gross for me after watching Faces of Death when I was 12 sitting by myself in our cottage here in NH while my parents were out for a nice dinner.

While it didn't scar me or anything it did make me question the nature of mankind for a little while at quite a young age.

Then when I was in my early 20's I saw a similar movie that was all black and white and grainy as hell when I was trippin' on more than a couple hits of acid at my buddies house surrounded by his scorpions and spiders in their cages, yeah me and bugs have a not so friendly relationship.

In that movie, some African witch-doctor type had his patient sitting in a chair in the middle of the dirty-ass village and for the purpose of eradicating his demons cut his skull open and performed brain surgery while the patient ate and drank. That experience left a mark for sure but it was partly cuz of the acid and my buddy's strange ass girlfriend who was constantly rubbing me all over and trying to get me in the bedroom. LOL

Strange days, indeed.

Actually seen Faces of Death. Can't say I remember it and I think that is probably a good thing. Why I watched it I am not quite sure.

None do any more.

I am no longer able to suspend my disbelief for horror movies and rather than getting grossed out at something particularly gruesome on screen, I think about how they actually did the effect that I am seeing in making the movie.

None do any more.

I am no longer able to suspend my disbelief for horror movies and rather than getting grossed out at something particularly gruesome on screen, I think about how they actually did the effect that I am seeing in making the movie.
Excellent point, shugs. I love watching how they do the special effects, the stunts and the creation of the sets. There are some truly talented people in this world in this field.

Burnt Offerings scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. And I had seen the Exorcist at that point.

The first Insidious was pretty scary.

But I love horror movies. I need to watch the Strangers.

Burnt Offerings scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. And I had seen the Exorcist at that point.

The first Insidious was pretty scary.

But I love horror movies. I need to watch the Strangers.
I made it through the first Insidious but won't watch the others. LOL Hubby though will watch every thing about it and the spin offs. LOLOL I have never heard of Burnt Offerings though. Exorcist and Poltergist messed my young mind up when I watched them. 🤣🤣🤣

I have seen Strangers so many times. Just love it.

Strange days, indeed.
Faces Of Death was real...agreed.

You can kill characters in almost any fashion you'd like. There's only ONE thing I cannot stomach: when children are badly injured or die in movies

An example of this is the baby in Trainspotting

The original Salem's Lot.

I was eighteen and rented a house for the offseason in Scituate. My roommates and I decided to head into Boston on an icy night but Billy stayed home allegedly because he was reading Salem's Lot and couldn't put it down. So, he'd just read the scene where Danny Glick's brother comes back as a vampire and is hovering outside his bedroom window trying to be let in and then the guy falls asleep with the book open on his chest. We get back at about 3AM, trashed, and discover nobody had a house key, so Mike climbs up on the roof to his dormer and starts knocking on Billy's window to wake him up so he'd let us in. The guy was so terrified that he refused and we all stood out there freezing for about a half an hour until he could finally be convinced that Mike wasn't actually a vampire trying to make him undead.

True story. Really good book and a decent movie.

I personally don't watch scary movies, I never understood the appeal. If I wanted to scare myself I'd just think about how my life is going to go in the next 30 years...

That said, one thing that disturbed me so much that I can't ever watch it again is John Spencer's portrayal of Leo McGarry having a heart attack on The West Wing. Probably because having a heart attack is one of my biggest fears.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCdiI6PbaU8

Another thing I hate watching is people having their legs broken, for the same reason. Breaking my femur is another of my biggest fears.

But blood, guts, gore and stuff like that doesn't bother me. Now, if I saw it in real life it probably would, but fictional stuff? Not so much.

Omen II gave me the heebie-jeebies back in the day when I saw it as a kid. The actor playing Damian was bloody good at portraying evil in a nuanced way.

That said, one thing that disturbed me so much that I can't ever watch it again is John Spencer's portrayal of Leo McGarry having a heart attack on The West Wing. Probably because having a heart attack is one of my biggest fears.
John Spencer. Great actor. Don't know the exact timeline, but 2-3 mos later, he was dead of a heart attack. That freaked me out. And I understand it REALLY freaked out the whole cast and production team.

John Spencer. Great actor. Don't know the exact timeline, but 2-3 mos later, he was dead of a heart attack. That freaked me out. And I understand it REALLY freaked out the whole cast and production team.
Yeah, from what I recall he had had a heart attack before ever being on the show, and then he died of one in the final season. He was the Running mate for the Democratic nominee to succeed President Bartlett, and in the show they had him die of a heart attack on election night.

Back