When/Why did you become a Patriots fan

I lived in Arlington, MA when I was growing up and my Dad (When he took a break from the Pipe Foundry in Everett) would take me to Fenway park to watch the Boston Patriots. We would pick up a couple of bags of peanuts and enjoy the game. I think it probably cost him about $10.00 or so. Parking was never a problem because after thinking about how far we walked... I think he parked in Cambridge!!!

Lawman

I have a mixed bag of reasons why I have become a Pats fan.

1. The original reason and the story I tell people who ask why a guy who grew up in Texas is a Boston fan. My college roommate and I were big college football fans at Texas A&M in '99-'00. We would spend Sundays recovering from tailgating and post game parties by sitting on our beat up college kid couches and watching the NFL. Neither of us had a team though since we were from San Antonio. The oilers had left Houston, the Texans weren't there yet and the Cowboys were a bandwagon team. We decided to let fate take over and so we decided to religously follow whatever team had the most Aggies on it at that particular time. Some how we came up with the Patriots even though when I've gone back to fact check this, we screwed something up. Regardless we followed them through ESPN highlights and two years later, they're winning a Super Bowl. We were hooked though automatically labeled as bandwagoneers.

2. The second reason is fantasy football that I started playing in 2003. Due to my Patriots allegence, I always draft the majority of the Pats starters and get made fun of for it. I picked Brady when Peyton was available before last season which turned out for me. I also picked Moss as a second rounder and people said I was dumb because he was a cry baby hold out... it turned out okay. I can go on and on but without national broadcasts, I follow the patriot stats through fantasy football.

3. I went to the Ravens/Texans game a few weeks ago here in Houston with my brother-in-law from Baltimore. Walking through the parking lot, he was texting like crazy. Through some fan site that he had been posting on for years, he lead us to 5 or 6 Raven tailgates of complete strangers that he only knew through their "Ravens Nest" handles. We ate and drank for free all afternoon. I was impressed and a little jealous that I had no such Patriot connection so that is how I ended up finding the planet.

I have a mixed bag of reasons why I have become a Pats fan.

1. The original reason and the story I tell people who ask why a guy who grew up in Texas is a Boston fan. My college roommate and I were big college football fans at Texas A&M in '99-'00. We would spend Sundays recovering from tailgating and post game parties by sitting on our beat up college kid couches and watching the NFL. Neither of us had a team though since we were from San Antonio. The oilers had left Houston, the Texans weren't there yet and the Cowboys were a bandwagon team. We decided to let fate take over and so we decided to religously follow whatever team had the most Aggies on it at that particular time. Some how we came up with the Patriots even though when I've gone back to fact check this, we screwed something up. Regardless we followed them through ESPN highlights and two years later, they're winning a Super Bowl. We were hooked though automatically labeled as bandwagoneers.

2. The second reason is fantasy football that I started playing in 2003. Due to my Patriots allegence, I always draft the majority of the Pats starters and get made fun of for it. I picked Brady when Peyton was available before last season which turned out for me. I also picked Moss as a second rounder and people said I was dumb because he was a cry baby hold out... it turned out okay. I can go on and on but without national broadcasts, I follow the patriot stats through fantasy football.

3. I went to the Ravens/Texans game a few weeks ago here in Houston with my brother-in-law from Baltimore. Walking through the parking lot, he was texting like crazy. Through some fan site that he had been posting on for years, he lead us to 5 or 6 Raven tailgates of complete strangers that he only knew through their "Ravens Nest" handles. We ate and drank for free all afternoon. I was impressed and a little jealous that I had no such Patriot connection so that is how I ended up finding the planet.

THE AGGIES.......:blink::shake::jester:

You have to take it season by season. This is one of the seasons where I don't even bother going into the stadium and just stay at the tailgate. :party:

do you even buy a ticket......:jester:

1986 was the year I came into my sports altogether as a Boston Sports fan. I just turned 13 and everyone was going nuts over all the sports teams.

I want D22's anwer. He watches all teh games, reads all teh news and stuffs.

I've always followed the Patriots with a close eye because the emergence of Tom Brady into the best QB in the NFL was great to watch. I am a Bears fan first, but 2nd I like the Pats. Last year I really became to follow them almost as close as the Bears...almost. Watching Tom Brady throw all over the NFL was great. I hate watching these smashmouth teams running the ball 40 times a game, I like to watch teams light up the scoreboard and that is exactly what the Patriots did last year.

I became a fan in '94 while sitting in a jail cell. :banghead: All the guys were excited about some Bledsoe character so I watched the games and loved him. He played for my local team so it was an easy match for me.

I think Montana was playing for the Chiefs and that was the fisrt I saw of him as well.

I had never paid that much attention to sports up til then, but ever since I've been rabid about all things to do with Boston sports.

I've always followed the Patriots with a close eye because the emergence of Tom Brady into the best QB in the NFL was great to watch. I am a Bears fan first, but 2nd I like the Pats. Last year I really became to follow them almost as close as the Bears...almost. Watching Tom Brady throw all over the NFL was great. I hate watching these smashmouth teams running the ball 40 times a game, I like to watch teams light up the scoreboard and that is exactly what the Patriots did last year.

So, you followed the team back to Grogan? popcorn

Hello all
My father used to sit in front of the tv every sunday and scream at the top of his lungs. (early 80's) One day I sat with him to see what all the fuss was about. Hooked ever since

after the '95 super bowl loss.. i really started following the team then.

WHen i was 7 i watched Super Bowl XXXI and i loved Bledsoe(even though he threw 4 picks)...I just liked the way the dude played...Then i got Madden 98 for my PC..and the little opening video for it was the super bowl and it shows the packers beatin the Pats..and i just always played as the pats and thats how i became a Pats fan..Great story ehh??

Grew up in Wakefield with a Dad who was a huge fan (he's picture in my avatar, RIP). I remember going to Foxboro, the old stadium, for the first time when I was about 10. The Pats got stomped by the Dolphins, but more memorably that was the first time I got to "split a beer" with my Dad. Took about two sips. And there's no way I'd give my own daughter a beer when she turns 10!

Football really started to take off in the UK during the eighties and Superbowl XX was the first Superbowl for me.

I like to support the underdog and as a Brit I simply supported the team with 'England' in their name.....getting blown out 46-10 only made me support the Patriots more and I've been hooked ever since.

Thankfully there have been some good times since then and now I'm a Patriot fan till I die!!

I'm going to the Wembley game in October and cannot wait to see the players in the flesh and hoping to get across to Gillette some time in the next couple of years.

Football really started to take off in the UK during the eighties and Superbowl XX was the first Superbowl for me.

I like to support the underdog and as a Brit I simply supported the team with 'England' in their name.....getting blown out 46-10 only made me support the Patriots more and I've been hooked ever since.

Thankfully there have been some good times since then and now I'm a Patriot fan till I die!!

I'm going to the Wembley game in October and cannot wait to see the players in the flesh and hoping to get across to Gillette some time in the next couple of years.

:Lwelcome: :thumb:

Never was a closet fan.

Saw my first Boston Patriots game at BU Field in 61, at Havard Stadium in 70, Went to a game every other year at Schaefer/whatever.

Stayed with them at 1-15 and 2-14.

This now is all gravy, baby.

I can't give the exact date-ever since I can remember I've been a Patriots fan. My first game in person was at Schaefer Stadium around 1970-I remember it was against the Raiders and George Blanda kicked a FG at the end to win it for the Raiders. I wish I could find the exact date but my Google searches haven't found me the answer-it's possible I don't have the details quite right.

I don't know why I latched on to them so strongly. They were a lousy team and no one in my family was a sports fan of any kind. I guess I just was meant to be one. I loved listening to them on the radio and was very excited when they were on TV-those were the days you rarely if ever saw them play at home because they never sold out. They were always on TV when they were on the road though.

This team has given me more joy and sorrow than just about anything in my life outside of my family. I have a tremendous bond with them that probably isn't normal-but that's the definition of a fanatic-right!:heart::toast:

Back