When/Why did you become a Patriots fan

I can't point to one particular moment or one particular play or one particular Superbowl win. I really don't have any family that are true Patriots fans.
My mom likes Tom Brady because he played his college ball at the University of Michigan. We have a Michigan connection in that my Grandfather graduated from the University of Michigan and he used to take my mom and her sister to games at the big house when they were very young. She calls Tom Brady Tom Terrific which is something that she probably heard somewhere.
My motives for being a Patriots fan are just because I want to. I can't think of any other reason. I am not a bandwagon fan but a new fan. I want to make that distinction very clear right off of the bat. I am a big Red Soxs fan but that is not the reason I became a Patriots fan. I really don't know what else to say.:pat: :patriots: :Redsox:

Hawg73 on 06-29-2005 at 04:10 PM said:
[

Following Pats football is the one constant in my life.
I love the Pats and always have. [/B]

I am new to the board and was only yesterday directed to this link where everybody tells how they came to be Pats fans. Your post is my absolute fave. You said it all brother. People, places and things come and go, but Patriots devotion is an unwavering beacon in my life too. I love the fact that so many fans here lived through the sucking and sucking worse of years past - and looks like you started loving on the Pats about the same time I did. So when the BB days and the Brady days are in the past, some of us will remain fans through the next Time of Troubles. Cuz it don't matter - Pats Forever! :patriots:

Benign Despot on 07-05-2007 at 11:25 AM said:
Just for the record, are you a fan who happens to be an old bag or are you a fan of Old bags?

I'll take the Fifth on that one. Figure I'll walk around here in disguise like the rest of you guys. But as to being a lover of bags, perhaps you remember the Fire Sign Theater: "Why, that's nothing but a bag of shit." "Yes, but it's really GREAT shit!":D

mikiemo83 on 07-09-2007 at 08:28 AM said:
did you just call Hawg an old bag also?

:D

Now why the hell would I go around picking fights with Big Cheeses around here? You da man, right? At least that's the impression one gets motoring around this site. Nope, no ill will toward my fellow Pats fans - only to the Great Unwashed Masses who still don't like the taste of Kool Aid. Fill 'er up! ;)

ps - what gives you the idea that "old bag" is some kind of put down? I happen to think it's a high compliment. Vintage!

oldbagfan on 07-09-2007 at 11:51 AM said:
ps - what gives you the idea that "old bag" is some kind of put down? I happen to think it's a high compliment. Vintage!
having the old bag name attached to myself recently from some soon to be college freshmen I do find it more a term of endearment these days

post often and pay no attention to me

I guess I skipped this part of the blog when I got caught up in the Three Ring Circus. I have been a Pats fan for as long as I can remember watching sports. Like many of you you here it was passed down from my dad, who was a great 5foot 6 inch tailback in high school. I regratably was a 5 foot 5 inch striker on the soccer team in high school...a pretty decent sprinter too but no real contact there either...

The earliest things I remember are guys like Stanley Morgan, Mosi, Tippett and Lippet and most of all Steve Grogan. That guy tooka real beating and came back for more. ( I still wish he had started SB XX) That is a very vivid memory as my first superbolw Party. I was 14 and was right inot it. By the end of the playoffs I hated the Bears and really wanted the Berry them...

I have become a real die hard since the beginning of the Bledsoe era. He really brought a national presence to the team. 96 was a blast. If Troy had been in the game it may have been different...

Of course the last few seasons have been absolutely great. I live in Maine so season tix are a little out of my reality and price range (I teach). However I have been to at least one game every year since 1995 and at least two games for the last five years.

By the way did you guy hear? Tony Eason got a multi year year offer with a ton of gurenteed money....

He signed with Purdue...Frank Purdue, he was lookin' for a real big chicken....lol.

Excellent board, guys. I'm happy to have found it. Posting to the Chargers board gets tedious...no great lovers of the Patriots.

I'm a retired Portland, Maine English teacher presently living with my good wife in Laguna Hills, California..south Orange County.

I have been a dyed-in-the-wool Pats fan from the beginning in 1960. I have suffered through those rough eras, and I am presently enjoying their current reign as an elite team wearing three rings in a tough league.

I look forward to participating with you folks. I am a member of the Orange County Patriots Fan Club, and we watch all the Pats games at the FOX Sports Grill in the Irvine Spectrum in Irvine, CA.

It's tough being a Pats fan here...real enemy country. It's fun to get the dirty looks whenever I wear my Pats gear.

Parrot Paul on 08-09-2007 at 06:24 PM said:
It's tough being a Pats fan here...real enemy country. It's fun to get the dirty looks whenever I wear my Pats gear.

WELCOME!! I am THRILLED to see you entering the wading pool. As you can see from my avatar, like yourself, I am a N.E. transplant to CA and have pretty much no fellow Pats lovers to chat with - hence, my participation on this board! My own husband is a Raiders guy (apart from that, he's okay).

Also have a background in English (not a good thing on these forums) and am of pretty much your same vintage - no Joanie Come Lately as to my Patriots fandom. I remember the Dark Days and am having the time of my life right about now.

So really glad you're here Parrot Paul - happy posting.

:thumb:

oldbagfan on 08-09-2007 at 03:31 PM said:
WELCOME!! I am THRILLED to see you entering the wading pool. As you can see from my avatar, like yourself, I am a N.E. transplant to CA and have pretty much no fellow Pats lovers to chat with - hence, my participation on this board! My own husband is a Raiders guy (apart from that, he's okay).

Also have a background in English (not a good thing on these forums) and am of pretty much your same vintage - no Joanie Come Lately as to my Patriots fandom. I remember the Dark Days and am having the time of my life right about now.

So really glad you're here Parrot Paul - happy posting.

:thumb:
If you're in Orange County, you might want to check out the OC Patriots Fan Club.

http://ocpatsfans.pbwiki.com/

Parrot Paul on 09-05-2007 at 11:28 AM said:
If you're in Orange County, you might want to check out the OC Patriots Fan Club.

http://ocpatsfans.pbwiki.com/

Nope - Marin County - land of the peacock feathers. But thanks for the tip anyhoo -

You'll probably meet BoltsOwnU, our resident Chargers fan poster.

I became a fan back in the late 70's, when my dad got me watching the Pats. Yup those were the days, Grogan, Hannah, Morgan just to name a few up to the superstars of today.

Now our beloved Patriots have the chance to become immortal, and have the greatest season of any team in history.

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up and still live in California, but my dads family is from Brockton, so I was raised a pats fan. The first season I really remember watching was 1993. I got my first football jersey not too long after and it was Drew Bledsoe's. He's still one of my all-time fav players.

Coincidently one of my good friends in high school also had family in Mass and he ended up attending college at the small catholic school of Stonehill. And oddly enough my current girlfriend is also from Mass and her father works at UMass Amherst.

Southpaw on 11-20-2007 at 10:37 PM said:
I grew up and still live in California, but my dads family is from Brockton, so I was raised a pats fan. The first season I really remember watching was 1993. I got my first football jersey not too long after and it was Drew Bledsoe's. He's still one of my all-time fav players.

Coincidently one of my good friends in high school also had family in Mass and he ended up attending college at the small catholic school of Stonehill. And oddly enough my current girlfriend is also from Mass and her father works at UMass Amherst.

I also see that you're a fan of Watertown's own Eliza Dushku, one of the hot Buffy babes :thumb: drool

bideau* on 11-21-2007 at 12:39 PM said:
I also see that you're a fan of Watertown's own Eliza Dushku, one of the hot Buffy babes :thumb: drool

Yeah, shes pretty sweet, except for the fact shes currently dating Brad Penny. And she has a new TV show coming out next year which sounds kindof like an "Alias" takoff, written by Joss Whedon.

I wuv your signature, southpaw. I thought about rigging something like that up before DW started the "Adopt-A-Patriot" thing.

A lot of folks on here don't have much love for Drew Bledsoe anymore, but there's no denying he gave a lot to this franchise.

TrueBeliever on 11-24-2007 at 12:31 AM said:
I wuv your signature, southpaw. I thought about rigging something like that up before DW started the "Adopt-A-Patriot" thing.

A lot of folks on here don't have much love for Drew Bledsoe anymore, but there's no denying he gave a lot to this franchise.

Thanks, he was my first favorite football player. I know things were tough for him in 2001 but he always seemed like a class act and I thought it was great that he took out a full page ad in local Boston papers thanking pats fans for their years of support.

In the last few years, my second favorite team has usually been whoever he's started for. I kinda always hoped he would get back to the Super Bowl one last time, and win one as the starter.

Back