Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ted Williams

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Bobby Orr

Votes: 17 31.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RoadGrader on 02-06-2007 at 10:39 PM said:
Ted Williams: larger-than-life figure on the field with a bat in his hand who probably would have gone down in Baseball history as the undisputed greatest hitter had he not had to serve in WWII. Because he was not part of bringing a WS banner to Boston, he is out as biggest Boston sports hero.

Did you know that by today's standards, his .406 BA in 1941 would actually be higher? In those days, sacrifice flys counted as an offical AB and brought your BA down.

As Matsuzaka would say, "unberievable"

First off, great thread!

I'm 46 and my earliest big sports memory is when the Impossible Dream Team clinched the pennant to beat out the Twins on the last day of the '67 season. My life revolved around Yaz. Yaz jacket, Yaz lunch box, Yaz bread, Yaz, Yaz, Yaz. My first album was the Impossible Dream narrated by Ken Coleman. I loved baseball and still do because of Yaz, Rico, Scott, Lonborg, Reggie, and Tartabull's *weak arm*.

Then came Orr.

I'm too young to have seen Williams. I know he was great.
I don't remember seeing Russell. I know he was great.
Williams had DiMaggio as his Tom Brady.
Russell had Wilt as his Peyton Manning.

But Orr had no equals in his sport at his time. Bobby Orr IS the greatest hockey player of all time, bar none. He could have played any position on the ice (goalie excepted, MAYBE) and been the best at any of them, of all time. Had he not blown out his knee at a time that the only viable cure was the S-cut surgery and not non-invasive arthroscopic he would probably still hold all scoring records.

Orr totally changed not only the position of defense but the entire game of hockey with his possesion of the puck. People now talk of Michael Vick's rushes like they are amazing. Orr did the same thing on ice on a nightly basis and we came to expect it.

And when the game got tough, he would initiate the confrontation. When Orr had had enough of being beaten on by a team who couldn't beat him any other way, he would lay the hammer down and beat them physically. Trying to remember a particular game where Bobby was being chipped and cheap shotted the entire game by one of the thugs of the league (might have been Keith Magnuson but for some reason I have a Toronto jersey in my head), but Bobby had had enough and, behind the net, just threw his gloves and unloaded on this guy who ended up turning pussy

And my favorite Orr story is a practice story.
He was challenged by Gerry Cheevers to score on him 1-on-1.
Cheevers came out a little bit to cut down the angles as Orr came in.
Orr skated in and seemingly lost control of the puck.
Cheevers reached out to knock the puck away.
Orr hit the side of the puck with his stick flicking it up in the air and spun around and whacked it into the top corner. Game Over.

He was so responsible for not only changing the game, but also changing the entire Boston area. Everyone played hockey. How many rinks were built? How many NHL Players came out of this area because of Orr?

And, I have a soft spot for the players who decide to stay in this area after retiring. Neely, Bourque, Park, Grogan, Nelson, etc.

DarrylStingley on 02-06-2007 at 05:54 PM said:
Amen, brother.

February sucks sports-wise.

I exercise nightly on a life cycle or rowing machine, and I've been watching the 2004 Red Sox ALCS games. I have DVDs with the Sox radio overlaid on them. It's extremely enjoyable to watch these games and there are things that I hadn't thought about in a while.

It also beats the crap out of watching anything to do with that douche bag Manning, and I am proud to say that I have not watched any current sports programming after I had confirmed that the Colts were going to cover on Sunday night. No awards shows, no ESPN sports center, no nothing where I can see the Colts in any way. Now if the Bruins or Celtics were worth watching, I'd take the chance. Same with breaking news re the Sox or Pats. But in the absence of any of that, the Sox DVDs are more than fine.
I hear ya! I haven't watched any sports since the AFC Championship game (and that includes the SB). :( But I have the 2004 ALCS and WS on DVD and I like your idea. I'm going to pop those in as well.

Jonathan
GREAT POST!

Indeed Orr had NO EQUAL, actually nobody was even close.
Too bad better medical practices were 10 years away, imagine if he was around when Bourque came up as a rookie.

blantyr
The game of hockey as Bobby Orr played it was flawed.

You cannot be serious.
The Canadiens had better talent top to bottom, a better goalie and better coaching.
When Orr was on the ice he was in control.

I dont think the losses to the Canadiens in the playoffs was anything to do with Orr.
1970-71
The Montreal Canadiens were matched against the Boston Bruins, and in one of the most extraordinary upsets in hockey history, Ken Dryden was hot in goal for the Canadiens as the Habs beat the Bears in seven games. In game 4, Bobby Orr became the first defenceman to score a hat trick when Boston won 5-2.

NHL Plus/Minus leader in 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974 and 1975, the most in history.................. Flawed?

To further add to his resume:

Orr subsequently signed with Chicago, but his injuries rendered him too severely hurt to play effectively, and, after playing in only 26 games over the next three seasons, retired in 1979. Famously, he never cashed a Chicago pay check, stating that he was paid to play hockey and would not accept a salary if he wasn't playing.

Gretzky, the great one

Orr, just Orr
Like Jesus, Moses and God
He dont need no stinkin' nickname

I am sure the jokes about Canada will start but this is a big deal up there.
http://gg.ca/honours/search-recherche/honours-desc.asp?lang=e&TypeID=orc&id=1264

babalu87 on 02-07-2007 at 06:47 AM said:
Orr, just Orr
Like Jesus, Moses and God
He dont need no stinkin' nickname

Not only doesn't he need a nickname, he can be identified just by his number. A few years ago, ESPN (I think) came up with the greatest athlete for each number between 0 and 99. Orr was #1 despite many great ones who wore the 4.

As a kid going through youth leagues in the late 60's and into the 70's, #4 was the coveted shirt. Didn't matter the sport or the position. Usually, it was the coach's son who got it :mad:

#4 is Orr

It was a tough pick between Brady and Bird, for me anyway. Both won 3 Championships, but since I`m more of a football fan than a basketball fan, I went with Brady. Also, because he isn`t done winning yet.
I didn`t choose Russell or Williams, because both were before my time.

Thanks for all the Orr stories! He was before my time sorta, I was real young, and I missed out on his greatness.

Bobby Orr definately qualifies as OWNING this town. But I still think Brady is the greatest Boston sports hero.

NHL, NBA and MLB are all 5 or 7 game series....they allow for mistakes.

The NFL does not. If you don't come to play one game in postseason....it's a long wait for redemption.

Throw in the fact that in 2002 the Pats were 14 1/2 point underdogs.

Throw in the fact that he will soon eclipse Elways mark of most 4th quarter comebacks.

Throw in the fact that he won 2 SBMVP's.

Throw in the fact that he made "The New England Patriots" relevent to the national sports scene.

I think he takes the prize.

No love for Bledsoe?

Originally posted by sonsofkraftybob on 02-07-2007 at 09:28 AM No love for Bledsoe?

No but a little for this guy:

Mo_Lewis.jpg

sonsofkraftybob on 02-06-2007 at 04:33 PM said:
This is just MHO. I am sure everyone has theirs. I would like to know yours and I would like to know why you think the others are not.

Tell me....who OWNS this town.

I say Brady already does for obvious reasons.

Lurkers and lookyloos are GREAT for this thread.

IMHO....

Bill Russell is NOT loved by this city and he does NOT love this city. There are certain racial incidents which will never be forgotten by Bill.

Bird is an asshole, flat out asshole. great baller, won some titles...but he also had Chief, McHale and a GREAT supporting cast.

Bobby Orr was a great hockey player and revolutionized the defensive position so the likes of Borque and Coffey could follow suit. Also, he is viewed by just about everyone as a genuinely nice guy...but he didn't play that long, I didn't get to experiance him and he won 2 Cups....not 3 or more.

Ted Williams won squat. Wasn't a nice guy. Batted .406 and had a lot of pop, but he won nothing.

Big Papi? Maybe. But not yet.

BTW, I'd like to know the age of posters to see if that matters.

Okay, let's see if I have this right..

...you did a poll of greatest Boston sports heroes...

...and left Yaz off of it...:lame: :shake: WTF?

Re: Re: Who is the biggest Boston Sports hero

Peytonsux on 02-07-2007 at 09:37 AM said:

How many rings did Yaz bring home? Surely the year he won the triple crown they won the World Series????

BTW, I have 2 red Sox jerseys currently and one is Yaz's...that's how much I like Yaz, but he is 2nd tier bro.

I din't include Rocky Marciano either.

Hagler either.

Yaz was disliked for much of his career. He had the phenomenal season in '67. But beyond that, he took alot of abuse from the fans and media. It wasn't until later in his career, as he was approaching 3000/400, that fans started appreciating his career.

He was a hall of famer, but with the exception of '67, he never owned this town.

Re: Re: Re: Who is the biggest Boston Sports hero

bideau on 02-07-2007 at 09:49 AM said:
Yaz was disliked for much of his career. He had the phenomenal season in '67. But beyond that, he took alot of abuse from the fans and media. It wasn't until later in his career, as he was approaching 3000/400, that fans started appreciating his career.

He was a hall of famer, but with the exception of '67, he never owned this town.

Williams was the same way, and also won as many rings as Yaz did. You may have a point, but growing up in the late 60's-70's in New England, Yaz was the guy I idolized. And, in '67, he had more then just a phenomenal season, he carried the team the whole way, had a great series agains the Cards, just wasn't enough.

BTW, I voted for TB- , but I think that Yaz should have been an option, JMO

One thing that people may not remember about Orr is that he was one of the toughest SOBs out there on the ice. Because he was so good, people used to go after him with all of their goons. The claim is that Orr was 39 -1 in fights and I've never seen him lose one either. I agree that he could have played any position on the ice and been the best in the league.

There are some good cases for many athletes on here and I've enjoyed the stories but the more I try and remember about Orr, the more I'm convinced that it's him.

Also, for those using the Brady 2 MVPs argument. Bobby Orr, two Stanley Cups, two MVPs. This with every other award known to hockey players.

Imagine Brady winning leaque MVP, SuperBowl MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, Offiensive Player of the Year, #1 rated QB, #1 scorer, etc. and you have one of Bobby Orr's seasons.

CleatMarks on 02-07-2007 at 10:39 AM said:
One thing that people may not remember about Orr is that he was one of the toughest SOBs out there on the ice. Because he was so good, people used to go after him with all of their goons. The claim is that Orr was 39 -1 in fights and I've never seen him lose one either. I agree that he could have played any position on the ice and been the best in the league.

There are some good cases for many athletes on here and I've enjoyed the stories but the more I try and remember about Orr, the more I'm convinced that it's him.

Also, for those using the Brady 2 MVPs argument. Bobby Orr, two Stanley Cups, two MVPs. This with every other award known to hockey players.

Imagine Brady winning leaque MVP, SuperBowl MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, Offiensive Player of the Year, #1 rated QB, #1 scorer, etc. and you have one of Bobby Orr's seasons.

I don't know, I guess there's something wrong with me. I'm a native New Englander (born and raised in Portland), and a total sports homer. But, I just never got into hockey or the Bruins. It's odd in a way, I guess, because I grew up playing hockey in leagues and loved the sport (with the exception of the fighting, the game doesn't need it). All my friends were HUGE Orr fans when I was growing up, as much if not more then they were of Yaz and Dave Cowens, but I just never got it.:shrug:

Remember that Orr has stayed in the area and is just an all-around nice guy. He'll sign anything for free with a smile.

He's never made anyone regret making him their childhood hero.

Orr will show up with a picture of THE GOAL and sign it and hand it out without expecting to be paid, he lives in the area and would never have his picture taken with Afraud :D

he also offered to sign a shirt for a chartiy I know and personalize it forthe winner, when he found out the winning bid he drove to the house and signed it in the guys kitchen - I don't assume many others would go that far

"The Goal" is actually my favorite sports photo. He's celebrating in mid-air and the puck that you see is already on the way back out of the net.

As far as his autographs go, I always thought that he didn't sign things. Even though my mother met him at the South Shore Plaza about two weeks before I was born and got his autograph then. But I want to get an autographed "The Goal" photo.

They're all great IMO but my choice is Bobby Orr for the many reasons that have already been posted.

Here's a great article about #4 :Bruins:

Orr's great goal
By Larry Schwartz
Special to ESPN.com

"You always waited for the moment when he got the puck behind his net. And you could see him looking and scanning. And there were those five players in front of that goaltender and you knew that none of them was going to stop him."
-- Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist Dave Anderson about Bobby Orr on ESPN's SportsCentury show (Friday, June 18, 10:30 p.m. ET).

Orr, whose Stanley Cup-winning goal in 1970 was selected the greatest moment in NHL history, was voted No. 31 among North American athletes of the 20th century by SportsCentury's distinguished 48-person panel.

Signature game
May 10, 1970 -- Orr put the finishing touch on Boston's first Stanley Cup in 29 years by scoring one of the most acrobatic goals in hockey history.

Early in overtime of Game 4 in Boston Garden, the 22-year-old Bruins star set things in motion when he outraced Larry Keenan of the St. Louis Blues to a loose puck. Orr passed to Derek Sanderson in the corner and then dashed towards the crease. Sanderson waited just long enough before sliding the puck back to the charging defenseman.

Bobby Orr remains revered by Bruins fans long after his playing days.

Orr somehow slipped the game-winner past goalie Glenn Hall just before Noel Picard sent him flying with a full-fledged leg trip. The dramatic goal was caught on camera by Ray Lussier of the Boston Record American and the image of Orr soaring in the air remains in the minds of hockey fans as the 20th century draws to a close.

"Honest, I really don't know how it went in," said Orr after the Bruins' 4-3 victory.

Neither does Hall. "The puck went between my pads," he said. "I should have made the save. It wasn't that tough a chance."

The goal was Orr's ninth in Boston's 14 playoff games. He scored 20 points, second on the team to Phil Esposito's 27, and won the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP.

In the noisy Boston locker room, Bobby's father Doug held a bottle of champagne and said, "Maybe I shouldn't say this, but tonight I don't care if Bobby gets higher than a kite. He deserves it. I've never seen him drunk, but the way we're all feeling, who cares?"

Odds and ends

As a 14-year-old playing for the Oshawa Generals and competing again mostly 19-and 20-year-olds in the Metro Junior A League, Orr was named a second-team all-star. In his final three seasons playing junior hockey, he not only made first-team all-league, but set scoring records for a defenseman each year.

When Orr was 16, he appeared on the cover of Canada's national magazine, Maclean's.

Orr didn't join the Bruins until he was 18 because NHL rules prohibited anybody playing in the league before that age.

In Orr's first NHL game, on Oct. 19, 1966, against the Detroit Red Wings, Orr checked Gordie Howe. Later in the game, Howe caught Orr with his head down and smashed him to the ice. "I saw birds for a while," Orr said. Howe said, "All of the Boston players were skating over and the young kid got up and told them, 'Take it easy. I deserved that.' "

In 1970, he was named Sports Illustrated's "Sportsman of the Year." In that story, he said, "O.K., I'm lucky, right? I've been gifted, right? But the world is full of people who've not been gifted. Not only haven't been gifted, but have had things taken away from them. All I have to do is see one of them -- some little girl that can't walk and yet she keeps smiling at me, some lady like Deanna Deleidi who goes home to an iron lung every night and still gives me a kiss and a hug after every hockey game. All I have to do is see someone like that and then I don't think I'm such a big hero anymore."

Only Wayne Gretzky (16) led the league in assists more than Orr (five).

In the late 1970s, Orr was voted the greatest athlete in Boston history in a Boston Globe poll of New Englanders, beating out Ted Williams, Bill Russell, Carl Yastrzemski and Bob Cousy.

When he was introduced at "Bobby Orr Night" Jan. 9, 1979, at Boston Garden, he received an 11-minute standing ovation. Finally, the noise subsided and his No. 4 was lifted to the rafters.

The mandatory waiting period for the Hockey Hall of Fame was waived for Orr and he was enshrined in 1979 at 31, the youngest player to be inducted.

Orr's agent, Alan Eagleson, turned down a deal for Orr to own 18 1/2 percent of the Bruins in the mid-seventies without telling his client. Also, Eagleson's financial investments for Orr left the player in tax trouble in both the United States and Canada.

Before games in Boston Garden, while the national anthem was played, Celtics great Larry Bird would look up at Orr's retired jersey for inspiration.

Yaz doesn't belong anywhere near the list of greatest Boston sports heroes. Maybe on the list of most over-rated, but not the greatest.

Back