Why going to the game is better.

Hawg73

Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
Reaction score
You hear a lot of athletes talk about how you they put "family first" over football. So, here's why I should have just blown off my "obligations" and gone to the game when I had the chance to do so when offered good seats at face value, which I passed up on.

My sister had planned our annual post-Christmas family reunion for this past Saturday. It is generally considered an important thing to keep everyone together and I have generally agreed with that.

Then, of course, the Pats get scheduled for the playoff game Saturday night, but I couldn't just blow the reunion off-- or at least felt that I shouldn't so decided to compromise and make a "tailgate" out of it.

I brought my pop-up shelter to her house and set it up on her deck with a propane heater and a flat-screen TV. Everyone wore their Patriots gear etc., and I was looking forward to it as the next best thing to being there.

We got there around 3PM and did the usual drinking and eating, schmoozing etc. and by 7:30 I was in pre-game psyche mode.

Problem was that at 7:40 the power went out in the area and we had a house full of people carrying flashlights and lighting candles.

I had a hard time holding back the profanities that would have no doubt shocked the kiddies. I settled for "this is a big bucket of suck".

A call to Mass Electric told us that there was "no estimate in restoral for the major power outage in the Weymouth area". I yelled at the truck circling the neighborhood to give us a break but, it appeared the guy had no clue what the issue was.

Great. We debated what could be done and elected to go old school by starting up a car and blasting Gil and Gino out the windows while we stood around drinking beer in the front yard in the chilly dark and praying for juice to return.

Finally, blessedly, with a few minutes to go until halftime the lights came back on and the party was on.

All things considered, it was kind of fun but, I missed virtually the entire first half.

The Jags weren't the only people with technical difficulties that night. ;)

Thats the last time I pass up playoff tickets for a family obligation. They'd get over being pissed at me after a few months.

Bleeping blackouts suck.

That bites, Hawg.

At the point the power went out, I would've jumped in the car and headed for home, leaving everything there. Unless your house was affected by the blackout as well.

The few times that I haven't been able to catch the Pats when they're on Fox, my parents have invited me to watch it at their house.

I haven't gone because watching a game without being able to consume some beers, and swear like a sailor is breaking a tradition. So I stay home and listen to Gil and Gino.

Hawg, I have to attend a 50th b-day party this saturday night, so you feel can feel my pain. I am wondering if they will play the game and am planning a back-up plan of a portable tv in case I must sit in my truck all night and watch. Last party these people planned was game 4 against the yankees - the game that started the WS run of 8 straight wins.

I thought of being obnoxious and having the host ask me to leave but realized that is too extreme even for me. So wife and I agreed no game on - we leave shortly after 9 pm and watch it at some local gin mill.

Find happiness in that the 1st half wasn't the best played half by the Pats.

mikiemo83 said:
Hawg, I have to attend a 50th b-day party this saturday night, so you feel can feel my pain. I am wondering if they will play the game and am planning a back-up plan of a portable tv in case I must sit in my truck all night and watch. Last party these people planned was game 4 against the yankees - the game that started the WS run of 8 straight wins.

I thought of being obnoxious and having the host ask me to leave but realized that is too extreme even for me. So wife and I agreed no game on - we leave shortly after 9 pm and watch it at some local gin mill.

Find happiness in that the 1st half wasn't the best played half by the Pats.

I (in my best Bill Clinton voice) feel your pain .

If these people aren't interested in even WATCHING the game, then I have no idea what is going on with them. I believe it is a law that playoff football takes precedence over all and party hosts have to have a TV available for addicts.

If it isn't already a law then it should be.

I'd definitely have a contingency plan ready in case something weird happens. You are not going to be a happy camper if these people purposely deny you your God-given right to watch the Pats.

I'd recommend going on a rampage of destruction until somebody hands you the remote. :D

Attending a Chiefs game is quite literally a part time job for me at this juncture. So I have a built-in excuse.

However, I did have this issue on Christmas Eve with my mother. I took my brother to the game and he was only scheduled to be in town 1 day from Denver. So my mother had plenty to say about that. It was difficult to disappoint her, but we managed. As a compromise, we left the game that the Chiefs had well in hand at the end of the 3rd quarter. Leaving early was a new experience for me, but the football Gods smiled on my decision.

Hawg73 said:
If these people aren't interested in even WATCHING the game, then I have no idea what is going on with them. I believe it is a law that playoff football takes precedence over all and party hosts have to have a TV available for addicts
the Sox/Yankee game was in a function hall and my charming personality allowed my wife and I to hit the Members club, buy cheaper drinks and watch those game.

as for this weekend I know atleast 1 other couple going that are rabid fans and expect that the game should be on BUT it is a 50th birthday party for a woman who has come over from Poland so if it was a soccer game it would be on, but not sure about the american football.

I will spend a bit of time outside watching the game, if I must, and then head off to a place I can partake in the ritual of yelling at a TV with a group of my closest 50 strangers who are my friends for the night.

well I should at the very least be feed well

Sorry for your misfortune Hawg. 11 years ago I had to attend my buddies wedding on new years day while the pats played the Browns. It was tortuous and there was no such thing as a Tivo.

As for passing up playoff tickets, I just can't understand how it can be done. I literally had to go to my 5th option this weekend while trying to sell my tickets. The first 4 people I called all said NO. No, too cold. or No, too much $$$. I was in shock. Are these people crazy? TOO COLD? Are you kidding?

The Big Lebowski said:
Sorry for your misfortune Hawg. 11 years ago I had to attend my buddies wedding on new years day while the pats played the Browns. It was tortuous and there was no such thing as a Tivo.

As for passing up playoff tickets, I just can't understand how it can be done. I literally had to go to my 5th option this weekend while trying to sell my tickets. The first 4 people I called all said NO. No, too cold. or No, too much $$$. I was in shock. Are these people crazy? TOO COLD? Are you kidding?

I woulda taken them.

During the 2002 SB between Oakland and TB, we lost power in NH during the first half of the game. When I went to sleep that night, the game was over and we still did not have power. I was not happy.

I'm sure the phone reps at PSNH had a rough night that night. But it could have been worse........the Pats could have been playing in the SB.

Had the Pats been playing, I would have gotten dressed and driven to the nearest watering hole televising the game.

As far as missing family get togethers for sporting events. (Raising Hand) Guilty as charged your honor.

About 10 years ago, my mother's family got so large that the family decided it was best to celebrate Christmas on an alternate (usually the weekend after Dec 25) weekend so that everyone could make it.

During the 97 season when the Pats played the Fins in the wildcard game, I chose to skip the family Christmas celebration and go to the game.

My buddy who was home from the Navy at the time went with me and it was well worth it. But I took some grief from the family after that one.

The Big Lebowski said:

Hence the term, "fair weather fans". It took me most of the week to finally get rid of my lower-level, 8th row seats for the JAX game. "Too cold." "Too short notice." "Why would I pay to watch a game I could see for free on TV?", and "I'd give you $30/ticket for them," were the popular responses. Go figure. :confused:

I learned from my uncles that you should never schedule a family event during a Patriots game. Some of the women would schedule weddings, showers, birthday parties at a local vet post. It didn't take long for all the men and me to be in the bar watching the game never to be seen at the party. I remember my aunts being pissed. They never did learn.

I had to make a sacrifice for the Pats/Jags game. My very favorite band was playing at BB Kings in NYC. I usually make this trip every year. I watch the other playoff games in a bar.

I made the easy decision to stay home to watch the Pats.

Hawg73 said:
You hear a lot of athletes talk about how you they put "family first" over football. So, here's why I should have just blown off my "obligations" and gone to the game when I had the chance to do so when offered good seats at face value, which I passed up on.

My sister had planned our annual post-Christmas family reunion for this past Saturday. It is generally considered an important thing to keep everyone together and I have generally agreed with that.

Then, of course, the Pats get scheduled for the playoff game Saturday night, but I couldn't just blow the reunion off-- or at least felt that I shouldn't so decided to compromise and make a "tailgate" out of it.

I brought my pop-up shelter to her house and set it up on her deck with a propane heater and a flat-screen TV. Everyone wore their Patriots gear etc., and I was looking forward to it as the next best thing to being there.

We got there around 3PM and did the usual drinking and eating, schmoozing etc. and by 7:30 I was in pre-game psyche mode.

Problem was that at 7:40 the power went out in the area and we had a house full of people carrying flashlights and lighting candles.

I had a hard time holding back the profanities that would have no doubt shocked the kiddies. I settled for "this is a big bucket of suck".

A call to Mass Electric told us that there was "no estimate in restoral for the major power outage in the Weymouth area". I yelled at the truck circling the neighborhood to give us a break but, it appeared the guy had no clue what the issue was.

Great. We debated what could be done and elected to go old school by starting up a car and blasting Gil and Gino out the windows while we stood around drinking beer in the front yard in the chilly dark and praying for juice to return.

Finally, blessedly, with a few minutes to go until halftime the lights came back on and the party was on.

All things considered, it was kind of fun but, I missed virtually the entire first half.

The Jags weren't the only people with technical difficulties that night. ;)

Thats the last time I pass up playoff tickets for a family obligation. They'd get over being pissed at me after a few months.

Bleeping blackouts suck.

Every year, some friends of ours host a pretty cool pizza party (everybody makes there own pizza, with nice ingredients) around the middle of December.

This year, they had to have it in early January....last Sat. night, in fact.

I went to the playoff game, and I had no remorse. My wife and daughter went to the party. Thursday, I simply said "I'm going to the game".

I had a GREAT Time!!!!

But listen, you did what you wanted to...you went to the party. Now, you'll have a story to last forever! And, the Pats won!

Hawg, I hope you thanked me. You wouldn't believe the obligations "I" had to leave to get your power back on for the second half! I also kept the game close and for the most part uneventful until you could watch it. Notice that?

o:)

GOD said:
Hawg, I hope you thanked me. You wouldn't believe the obligations "I" had to leave to get your power back on for the second half! I also kept the game close and for the most part uneventful until you could watch it. Notice that?

o:)

You know, when I was blaspheming you heavily (out of earshot of the little cherubs) I never thought about you as a person, but more as a concept -- someone to be blamed for fouling things up. That was wrong of me and I apologize.

I needed to realize that it wasn't you, but the Evil One who killed the juice and YOU who restored it despite my churlish vulgarity.

And yes, you saved the 3 TDs in 8 minutes for a time when I was not only back in a good mood, not only could watch it on TV, but warm enough to hold a beer without a glove, which I (now) also realize that was only possible because you invented propane stick heaters.

You do work in mysterious ways.

If I could ask you a question, sir -- is there anything you can do to help Corey get to the line a little faster?

I mean, maybe a few tenths of a second is all we need.

Think of it as kind of like when Moses parted the red sea. That hole stayed open long enough for him to get everyone across, but...if he had lollygagged and the waters had rushed back......whoa. Kind of like what is happening to Dillon now on 3rd and 4.

Thanks, God! You're a rock star.

Hawg73 said:
If I could ask you a question, sir -- is there anything you can do to help Corey get to the line a little faster?

Unfortunately, I only help those who help themselves. And quite frankly, Dillion just doesn't give a [care]. But he may suprise even ME!

Hawg73 said:
Thanks, God! You're a rock star.

o:) :high:

I'm not sure, but I did hear that Polian has the ability to turn water into whine.

makes sense since PayMeTons is the master of cheese

mikiemo83 said:
Hawg, I have to attend a 50th b-day party this saturday night, so you feel can feel my pain.
Here is a note you can use....

Back