*** You've Been Warned *** Discuss "The Last Jedi" here (spoiler alert!!)

Patriots44

call me... P Quatro, Quatro
Reaction score
I know I made an "official" thread a month or so ago, but just so no one stumbles on any spoilers, lets use this thread to discuss.

as soon as someone/anyone has seen it, check in so we can start the discussion.

is this the best Star Wars since Empire? I say no doubt. only question is where does it fit in the overall order. Empire, ANH, TLJ or is it Empire, TLJ, ANH.
(I would say ESB, TLJ, ANH, TFA, ROTS, ROTJ, ATOC, TPM)

This isn't a spoiler (need someone else who has seen it first to have a spoiler filled discussion) but my kids - now 17 and 15 - liked it but made a very interesting statement... it was different when they first saw the originals... as much younger kids. the first 2 (not a big ROTJ fan) were new and I was younger. it so happens my kids saw (on DVD) ANH, ESB and ROTJ when they were little, so the "magic" is there for them too.

it's hard to recapture that, so I just look to new movies now as good entertainment and cool stuff blowing up, etc.

There is one scene that kinda bugged me.... check in once you've seen the movie and I'll get into the details

Reminder - if you are in this thread, the entire thing is a big SPOILER WARNING

here we go.... (a few have checked in that they saw it)

** SPOILERS **

one scene I did not like was Leia getting blown into space then force pulling herself back into the ship. I thought that was a bit much. Actually would have been ballsy of them if they killer her off there, but was too early in the movie

leonard-nimoy.jpg

Not sure I agreed with killing Snoke. I think that was a mistake as he was a seriously good dark lord of the Sith in the movie and did look unbeatable. He should have been left to the last film and there is surely a good backstory there as to who he really is. To allow himself to be killed by the snivelling Ren was a bit much.

The kid right at the end. Is that just a statement saying there's Jedi to be found everywhere? In the unlikeliest of settings? Is it a brother of Rey's? Abandoned by his parents as well?

Was Ren telling the truth about Rey that her parents were nobodies?

Not sure I agreed with killing Snoke. I think that was a mistake as he was a seriously good dark lord of the Sith in the movie and did look unbeatable. He should have been left to the last film and there is surely a good backstory there as to who he really is. To allow himself to be killed by the snivelling Ren was a bit much.

The kid right at the end. Is that just a statement saying there's Jedi to be found everywhere? In the unlikeliest of settings? Is it a brother of Rey's? Abandoned by his parents as well?

Was Ren telling the truth about Rey that her parents were nobodies?

Ren's thing about Rey's parents could possibly be a "lie", but I think making Rey just teh parents of 2 nobodies is better then some convoluted relationship to Obi Wan or the way to obvious "shes' a skywalker"
Guess we'll see if her parents come up again in ep. 9

The kid at the end is force sensitive and he has Rose's resistance ring. it ties to what was said earlier in the movie about people seeing the symbol of the resistance and it gives them hope. also the three kids playing with those home-made dolls and talking about Luke tied nicely back to what Luke said about becoming a legend.

Snoke dying was a surprise, but I guess they decided that it would be the thing Kylo does to take the next step. Snoke was really beating him down (verbally) calling him a "scared boy in a mask" and "get that ridiculous thing off" (or something like that)

Saw it today and for those who say it is "the best since Empire Strikes Back" it is because it is the Empire Strikes Back.

Consider that one can describe the major story arcs of Empire as follows.

1) Rebels escape Empire attack at beginning of movie.
2) Luke gets trained by Yoda while....
3) The Millennium Falcon is pursued and tries to escape from the Empire forces.
4) Luke finally rejoins the rest, confronts Vader, and learns the truth of his life.

So, what are the major story arcs in Last Jedi?

1) Rebels escape First Order attack at beginning of movie.
2) Ren get's trained by Luke while...
3) The Rebel fleet is pursed and tries to escape from the First Order forces.
4) Ren finally rejoins the rest, confronts Snoke and Rey, and learns the truth of her life.

So let's look at the major changes they made compared to Empire.

Benicio del Toro for Billy Dee Williams, only this time he really does turn them in.

Crait for Hoth and the battle takes place at the end of the film, not the beginning.

Oh and as a side bar, if a ship going to hyperspace can cause such massive destruction, how come no one has made a weapon that would do such a thing?

I don't think it was anywhere near a "copy"/reboot as TFA was to ANH.

The way TFA ended they kinda had to keep that line going, so with that in mind I didn't feel like I had just seen ESB v2, but I do know what you mean.

That is one criticism I've seen a lot and agree... if a hyperspace jump is that powerful, create drone ships that just do that in every battle!

Saw it today in 3D. I agree with others about space Leia, the cheesy death of Snoke, and other shitty scenes. There was a lot of good stuff, though. Force Luke at the end was epic!I liked the scene with the little kid at the end.

Other notes:

70 year old Leia < 30 year old Leia. Also, I'm of the age where I wouldn't kick Rey or the vice admiral out of bed for eating crackers. :coffee:

Snoke's death certainly surprised me as I was expecting some big Luke/Rey vs. Kylo/Snoke mega battle... but the more I think of it, this is the least of the "Questionable" parts of the movie I.... er, question.
They made Snoke seem so far advance in the force the Kylo or Rey I'm not sure what else they could do with him. by having Kylo take the opportunity to kill him, Kylo took that next step from whiny emo kid to number one bad guy (and the way he treats Hux is pretty funny)

Space Leia.... that one bugs me the most.

the entire Canto Bright/Hacker thing could probably have just been removed and they work around getting Fin/Rose onto the ship.

The kid at the end I thought was a good scene.

I really really liked this movie, I figured I would since all the fanboys hate it and loved that piece of shit Rogue One and praised The Force Awakens as the greatest Star Wars movie of all time when it was just A New Hope with some slight changes and new characters.

This movie is the first one since the original three that actually FEELS like a Star Wars movie to me.

It was a little long, but I didn't mind that much. Also I'm disappointed my ultimate fantasy didn't come true and Rey didn't turn to the dark side. I figured Disney wouldn't risk Rey toy sales for that.

But other than that I loved it. Empire is still the best, but this one is right up there. I just hope Disney doesn't listen to all the whiny fanboys who don't like it.

Also, I got spoiled by some asshole in a twitch chat blurting out Snoke getting killed by Ren and Luke dying. I hope people who do that are forced to live long lives as Jets fans.

Other notes:

70 year old Leia < 30 year old Leia. Also, I'm of the age where I wouldn't kick Rey or the vice admiral out of bed for eating crackers. :coffee:
I would do things to Daisy Ridley that aren't physically possible in our Universe.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3b6pXwK914s" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was hoping that Luke turned evil and we would have Snoke/Luke vs Rey/Ren.

Alas.

Also, I have to admit, I found the film fairly mediocre. I hope it will turn out to be better on a second viewing, but this was, to me, a "throw everything at it and hope some of it works" type film.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

I was hoping that Luke turned evil and we would have Snoke/Luke vs Rey/Ren.

Alas.

Also, I have to admit, I found the film fairly mediocre. I hope it will turn out to be better on a second viewing, but this was, to me, a "throw everything at it and hope some of it works" type film.

I'm curious how I will feel about it after a 2nd or 3rd viewing. I like TFA better after seeing it again... first time was "hey, this is really like ANH"... plus getting used to the new characters.

I like TLJ the first time but I had hoped I'd like it more... if that makes sense? Space Leia and the whole Canto Bright parts were my main gripes so far, but seeing it again I may start to go one way or the other on more of it.

Already the Fan Boy/YouTube speculation is Snoke didn't actually die! Yikes... 2 years of this type of thing leading into Ep 9.

Heard some comments on the movie and I will admit, I was interested in hearing an explanation or more info on:

- Knights of Ren
- How Maz got Luke's lightsaber

doesn't effect my life like some fanboys who obsessed over these questions and others for 2 years, but would be curious to hear these explained at some point.

I thought the movie was awful, personally, and was a complete disappointment. It's too bad Luke is dead because he was the best thing going for the new movies. Considering the long line I waited in to see it, there will certainly be more of these movies coming unfortunately.

Couple of other things that bothered me.

Can we stop using WWII air battles as the blueprint for every ship fight we see?

Those "bombers" were clearly designed by someone who saw a photo of a WWII bomber's bomb bay, and decided that's what the ship would look like.

12144261224_bc00d887ac_b.jpg

Oh since they were in space, just why did the bombs "fall" in the first place?

When Rey and Ren fought the Knights of Ren, how come no one used any force powers?

Why didn't Hux launch fighters to take out the transports? Sure he could shoot at them while they closed the gap, but the ship had a relatively slow rate of fire (why?) and the fighters would have smoked the transports once they got on top of them.

Back