mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
What a wild ride the first 2 days have been. So far the Pats have taken:

17. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado. 6'8" 320#
31. Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia. 6'2" 205#
56. Shane Vereen, RB, Cal. 5'10" 210#
73. Stefan Ridley, RB, LSU. 5'11" 235#
74. Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas. 6'7" 240#.

Plus the Pats have added extra picks in the 2012 1st round (New Orleans) and 2nd round (Oakland).

Remaining picks:

Major needs not addressed in the first 2 days:

DL
DE/OLB
OG/C
WR

Is there some value down at these picks to try and fill some of the needs we still have? I do not mean all of them, but some names that could stand out that will still be on the board that late in the draft?

Is there some value down at these picks to try and fill some of the needs we still have? I do not mean all of them, but some names that could stand out that will still be on the board that late in the draft?

There's still lots of talent available:

1. OL Marcus Cannon. 6'5" 350# - a 2nd round pick before non-Hodgkins lymphoma, should make an eventual full recovery. Seems like more of a road grader than the typical Pats OL, but is very nimble for his size.
2. DE/OLB Greg Romeus - a concensus 1st round pick before back and knee injuries, seems to be making a full recovery. Perfect Pats length/size, great motor.
3. Lawrence Guy, DE, Arizona St. 6'5" 305#. Great size and length. Able to penetrate and collapse the pocket. Needs to get stronger at the POA.

Among many others.

James Harrison, Cameron Wake, Jason Peters, Wes Welker, Miles Austin, Arian Foster and Antonio Gates were a UDFAs. Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Marshall, Jared Allen and Elvis Dumervil were 4th round picks. Trent Cole and Michael Turner were 5th round picks. TJ Houshmandzadeh, Jay Ratliff and Brett Keisel were 7th round picks. And some guy named Brady was a 6th round pick. Lots of pro bowl talents slip to day 3 of the draft.

There will be future pro bowlers taken tomorrow. Several of them, based on past drafts.

There's still lots of talent available:

1. OL Marcus Cannon. 6'5" 350# - a 2nd round pick before non-Hodgkins lymphoma, should make an eventual full recovery. Seems like more of a road grader than the typical Pats OL, but is very nimble for his size.
2. DE/OLB Greg Romeus - a concensus 1st round pick before back and knee injuries, seems to be making a full recovery. Perfect Pats length/size, great motor.
3. Lawrence Guy, DE, Arizona St. 6'5" 305#. Great size and length. Able to penetrate and collapse the pocket. Needs to get stronger at the POA.

Among many others.

James Harrison, Cameron Wake, Jason Peters, Wes Welker, Miles Austin, Arian Foster and Antonio Gates were a UDFAs. Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Marshall, Jared Allen and Elvis Dumervil were 4th round picks. Trent Cole and Michael Turner were 5th round picks. TJ Houshmandzadeh, Jay Ratliff and Brett Keisel were 7th round picks. And some guy named Brady was a 6th round pick. Lots of pro bowl talents slip to day 3 of the draft.

There will be future pro bowlers taken tomorrow. Several of them, based on past drafts.

Ok, I'm back on board. What bothers me I guess is I still see the Dline being very slim, and I hope that Free agency is kind, and are we really set at wideout?

I refuse to name binkys or guys I don't like. It's a guaranteed way to get Bill to do the exact opposite of what I want. j/k

I refuse to name binkys or guys I don't like. It's a guaranteed way to get Bill to do the exact opposite of what I want. j/k

Actually you are right. lol. I have been watching Mallets sit down with gruden. I am kinda sold on him a bit talent wise, he looks real good.

Ok, I'm back on board. What bothers me I guess is I still see the Dline being very slim, and I hope that Free agency is kind, and are we really set at wideout?

OK, I understand your concerns. I personally feel that they are legitimate. But perhaps BB's willingness to pass up many of the DE prospects in this draft suggests that he has more confidence in the development of the DL than many fans do. This includes:

- Ty Warren's and Mike Wright's health status. We played without Warren for all of 2010, and without Wright for half the season. A healthy Ty Warren returning to form immediately upgrades our DL. A healthy Wright gives us an inside pass rushing presence.
- The development of Ron Brace, Myron Pryor and Brandon Deaderick.
- Kade Weston and Kyle Love. Weston was essentially red-shirted for 2010 after being drafted in the 7th round. He was considered extremely talented physically but very raw. Love showed some nice ability to take up double teams and provide a backup option at NT.

Add Marcus Stroud (and possibly Gerard Warren, who could return) and that makes 10 DLs. Sure, none of them is Richard Seymour in his prime and only Vince Wilfork is "elite" (though Ty Warren returning to 2006 form would be close), but there's a lot of depth and talent. Drafting more DLs would just increase the logjam.

Similarly, BB may be pleased with the development of Jermaine Cunningham and Eric Moore, to the point of not feeling that a rookie pass rusher is likely to make a hue difference for 2011.

I can't guarantee that all this will happen - we once had high hopes for Shawn Crable and Vince Redd providing an infusion of youth into the OLB corps, and were let down - but the fact that BB didn't share your sense of urgency about the DL and pass rush suggests that he has more confidence in the available options. He has explicitly said "we are a young team but a talented team on defense", and presumably he knows defensive talent.

As for wideout we have Deion Branch, Wes Welker (who should be 100% back from his ACL injury), Brandon Tate and Taylor Price. Tate and Prince should be considerably improved, and both can stretch the field. Plus we have receiving options at TE and RB to mix in with the WRs. Brady will have a lot of options. Could he use a vertical threat? Sure. Maybe that will be Tate or Price, or maybe that threat could come in FA (heck, it's still possible that Randy Moss could come back).

Anyway, I'll be curious to see what happens tomorrow to round out the draft.

OK, I understand your concerns. I personally feel that they are legitimate. But perhaps BB's willingness to pass up many of the DE prospects in this draft suggests that he has more confidence in the development of the DL than many fans do. This includes:

- Ty Warren's and Mike Wright's health status. We played without Warren for all of 2010, and without Wright for half the season. A healthy Ty Warren returning to form immediately upgrades our DL. A healthy Wright gives us an inside pass rushing presence.
- The development of Ron Brace, Myron Pryor and Brandon Deaderick.
- Kade Weston and Kyle Love. Weston was essentially red-shirted for 2010 after being drafted in the 7th round. He was considered extremely talented physically but very raw. Love showed some nice ability to take up double teams and provide a backup option at NT.

Add Marcus Stroud (and possibly Gerard Warren, who could return) and that makes 10 DLs. Sure, none of them is Richard Seymour in his prime and only Vince Wilfork is "elite" (though Ty Warren returning to 2006 form would be close), but there's a lot of depth and talent. Drafting more DLs would just increase the logjam.

Similarly, BB may be pleased with the development of Jermaine Cunningham and Eric Moore, to the point of not feeling that a rookie pass rusher is likely to make a hue difference for 2011.

I can't guarantee that all this will happen - we once had high hopes for Shawn Crable and Vince Redd providing an infusion of youth into the OLB corps, and were let down - but the fact that BB didn't share your sense of urgency about the DL and pass rush suggests that he has more confidence in the available options. He has explicitly said "we are a young team but a talented team on defense", and presumably he knows defensive talent.

As for wideout we have Deion Branch, Wes Welker (who should be 100% back from his ACL injury), Brandon Tate and Taylor Price. Tate and Prince should be considerably improved, and both can stretch the field. Plus we have receiving options at TE and RB to mix in with the WRs. Brady will have a lot of options. Could he use a vertical threat? Sure. Maybe that will be Tate or Price, or maybe that threat could come in FA (heck, it's still possible that Randy Moss could come back).

Anyway, I'll be curious to see what happens tomorrow to round out the draft.

The funny thing is. I love the players the pats took, I just am curious at the ones they didnt take if that makes sense. Its not like I saw them draft a guy and said, why him. I Do like the guys they got. I actually forgot they picked up Stroud. I guess I just want to scare the hell out of teams on defense again like the old days and not make young QB's have their best day against us. Looking at the Running backs, it seems we have ever kind of back their is now. Pounder, speed, catching. I think we are good to go there for awhile. I am a little nervous about the Guard/center spot and the Dline depth, and am curious how the receivers will look, but other then that, I feel pretty good about things. I will study up on these other kids we got.

No 4th round picks tomorrow. With the two 5ths and 6th I would like to get Romeus, Boling, and Fusco. Not gr8 odds I think, but players slide for various reasons.

It would be more believable if I had posted this before the draft started, but I never thought this was all that strong or deep of a draft. There was no consensus #1 and only about 5 players who could be considered blue chip.

I saw estimates that there was a drop off in talent somewhere late in the 3rd round.

BB got top talents with the top picks, a gr8 value in Mallett and a legitimate potential successor for Brady who can take some time and learn from him, and two picks at the position that was thinnest for us; RB.

It may not have been the grand slam that many of us were dreaming of, but it was a solid draft and we added two more top picks to boost the next draft.

Too many picks will result in us having to cut players due to numbers but we still need an interior OL and OLB.

No 4th round picks tomorrow. With the two 5ths and 6th I would like to get Romeus, Boling, and Fusco. Not gr8 odds I think, but players slide for various reasons.

It would be more believable if I had posted this before the draft started, but I never thought this was all that strong or deep of a draft. There was no consensus #1 and only about 5 players who could be considered blue chip.

I saw estimates that there was a drop off in talent somewhere late in the 3rd round.

BB got top talents with the top picks, a gr8 value in Mallett and a legitimate potential successor for Brady who can take some time and learn from him, and two picks at the position that was thinnest for us; RB.

It may not have been the grand slam that many of us were dreaming of, but it was a solid draft and we added two more top picks to boost the next draft.

Too many picks will result in us having to cut players due to numbers but we still need an interior OL and OLB.

I am not sure RB was our most thin position. Hell Guard was probably more thin. I like the pickups, but nor sure RB was a pressing need at all. I did not see very many people going into this draft saying, man we have got to get some running backs. In fact....what does our OLB depth look like right now?

I did not see very many people going into this draft saying, man we have got to get some running backs.

Were your eyes closed?

I was on the BJGE/Woodhead is good enough train, but I was in the vast minority.

I encourage you and anyone to watch Ridley at LSU. I think he's a still from where they got him and he could be the "feature" role that BJGE had last year. Bennie's contract isn't a done deal right now, and honestly, Ridley's got a much better upside.

The addition of Vereen means that you'll likely see Woodhead split out more this season. Again, similar skillset, except Vereen has a better projected upside at RB. Woodhead as an Eric Metcalf-type works very well for me.

Three of my favourite OLBS my from the whole draft are still on the board. I rate Bruce Miller, Romeus and Acho over many of the guys already taken like Ayers and Jabaal. Romeus in particularly if we are prepared to risk the injury(more if he falls/trade up for him) could really be something special.

I'm guess one of the remaining picks will go on Brandon Fusco because we've been dating the guy hard - but we're not picking until the 5th round now right? Romeus could be gone by then - he was my late-round guy - my last hope for a pass-rusher of any ability in this draft.

Interesting names still on the board:

Christian Ballard - DE/DT
Tandon Doss - WR
Davon House - CB
Luke Stocker - TE
De Andre McDaniel - S
Tyler Sash - S
Kendall Hunter - RB
Jason Pinkston - G/T
Sam Acho - DE/OLB
Ricky Elmore - DE/OLB

KJ Wright - ILB
Jerrell Powe - NT
Greg Romeus - DE/OLB
Edmund Gates - WR
Clint Boling - G
Chris Carter - DE/OLB

^ I expected most of those guys to be off the board by now, I doubt most of them will last to us in the 5th - but there are some pass-rush guys still left on there.

I like Gates too - but probably a few too many character concerns with tht guy.

I'm guess one of the remaining picks will go on Brandon Fusco because we've been dating the guy hard - but we're not picking until the 5th round now right? Romeus could be gone by then - he was my late-round guy - my last hope for a pass-rusher of any ability in this draft.

Interesting names still on the board:

Christian Ballard - DE/DT
Tandon Doss - WR
Davon House - CB
Luke Stocker - TE
De Andre McDaniel - S
Tyler Sash - S
Kendall Hunter - RB
Jason Pinkston - G/T
Sam Acho - DE/OLB
Ricky Elmore - DE/OLB

KJ Wright - ILB
Jerrell Powe - NT
Greg Romeus - DE/OLB
Edmund Gates - WR
Clint Boling - G
Chris Carter - DE/OLB

^ I expected most of those guys to be off the board by now, I doubt most of them will last to us in the 5th - but there are some pass-rush guys still left on there.

I like Gates too - but probably a few too many character concerns with tht guy.

Excellent list. If the Pats could find a way to get the following, I'd be elated:

1. Greg Romeus / Sam Acho, DE/OLB
2. Clint Boling / Jason Pinkston, OL
3. Edmund Gates / Tandon Doss, WR
4. Luke Stocker, TE

That would be a nice haul.

Excellent list. If the Pats could find a way to get the following, I'd be elated:

1. Greg Romeus / Sam Acho, DE/OLB
2. Clint Boling / Jason Pinkston, OL
3. Edmund Gates / Tandon Doss, WR
4. Luke Stocker, TE

That would be a nice haul.

Draftinsider's list of the best players available after round 3:

Christian Ballard DT Iowa
Kendall Hunter RB Oklahoma State
Jerrell Powe DT Mississippi
Sam Acho DE Texas
Greg Salas WR Hawaii
Edmond Gates WR Abilene Christian

Roy Helu Jr. RB Nebraska
K.J. Wright OLB Mississippi State
Davon House CB New Mexico State
Greg Jones ILB Michigan State
James Brewer T Indiana
Jordan Cameron TE USC
Chris Carter OLB Fresno State

Jeron Johnson S Boise State
Virgil Green TE Nevada
Quan Sturdivant ILB North Carolina
Lawrence Wilson OLB Connecticut
Pernell McPhee DE Mississippi State
Clint Boling T Georgia

Brandon Burton CB Utah
Niles Paul WR Nebraska
Joseph Lefeged S Rutgers
Jordan Todman RB Connecticut
Darryl Skrine CB Tenn-Chattanooga
Quinton Carter S Oklahoma
Brandon Bair DE Oregon
D.J. Williams TE Arkansas
Jeremy Kerley WR TCU
Tandon Doss WR Indiana
Richard Sherman CB Stanford
Marcus Cannon G TCU
Chris Hairston T Clemson
Shiloh Keo S Idaho
Ross Homan ILB Ohio State
Anthony Sherman FB Connecticut
Schuylar Oordt TE Northern Iowa
Denarius Moore WR Tennessee
Tim Barnes C Missouri
Jason Pinkston T Pittsburgh
Derrick Locke RB Kentucky
Josh Thomas CB Buffalo
Ian Williams DT Notre Dame
Ronald Johnson WR USC
Delone Carter RB Syracus
Julius Thomas TE Portland State
Rashad Carmichael CB Virginia Tech
Zach Hurd G Connecticut
Darvin Adams WR Auburn
Taiwan Jones RB Eastern Washington
Eric Hagg S Nebraska
Brandyn Thompson CB Boise State
Ricky Stanzi QB Iowa
Kendric Burney CB North Carolina
Kealoha Pilares WR Hawaii
Da’Rel Scott RB Maryland
Jacquizz Rodgers RB Oregon State
Colin McCarthy OLB Miami-Fl
Justin Rogers CB Richmond
Byron Stingily T Louisville
Doug Hogue OLB Syracuse
Luke Stocker TE Tennessee
Cecil Shorts III WR Mount Union
Chris Neild DT West Virginia
David Arkin G Missouri State
Jalil Brown CB Colorado
Chimdi Chekwa CB Ohio State
Terrance Toliver WR LSU
Adrian Moten OLB Maryland
DeMarcus Love G Arkansas
Mario Fannin RB Auburn
Owen Marecic FB Stanford
Lee Ziemba T Auburn
Lawrence Guy DT Arizona State
Evan Royster RB Penn State
Chykie Brown CB Texas
Cheta Ozougwu OLB Rice
Jason Kelce C Cincinnati
Alex Henery PK Nebraska
DeAndre McDaniel S Clemson
Dane Sanzenbacher WR Ohio State
Anthony Allen RB Georgia Tech
Cliff Matthews DE South Carolina
Chris L. Rucker CB Michigan State
Derek Newton T Arkansas State
Charles Clay FB Tulsa
Stephen Burton WR West Texas A&M
Caleb Schlauderaff G Utah
Tyler Sash S Iowa
Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh
Owen Spencer WR North Carolina State
Darrin Walls CB Notre Dame
Armon Binns WR Cincinnati
Nathan Enderle QB Idaho
Cortez Allen CB Citadel
Ryan Whalen WR Stanford
Johnny White RB North Carolina
Jarriel King T South Carolina
Ray Dominguez G Arkansas
Robert Sands S West Virginia
Scott Lutrus OLB Connecticut
Zane Taylor C Utah

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5334

I've highlighted a few of the interesting ones at DL, DE/OLB, WR and TE. Some other guys: C Brandon Fusco, DE Karl Klug, TE Will Yeatman, TE Lee Smith. Lots of talent still available. A lot of really interesting players are still on the board at positions that I don't expect to be targets, but you never know:

RB: Stanley Havili, Owen Marecic, Johnny White, Jordan Todman, Kendall Hunter, Roy Helu, Bilal Powell, Taiwan Jones, Da'Rel Scott, Delone Carter, Jacquizz Rodgers, Mario Fannin

DB: Davon House, Richard Sherman, Buster Skrine, Cortez Allen, Justin Rogers, Tyler Sash, Eric Hagg, DeAndre McDaniel, Jalil Brown, Brandon Burton, Jeron Johnson, Joe Lefeged, Rashad Carmichael, Kenrich Burney

OT: Marcus Cannon, Byron Stingily, Derek Newton, Lee Ziemba, Willie Smith, James Brewer, Chris Hairston

I am not sure RB was our most thin position. Hell Guard was probably more thin. I like the pickups, but nor sure RB was a pressing need at all. I did not see very many people going into this draft saying, man we have got to get some running backs. In fact....what does our OLB depth look like right now?

What is easier to sign as a free agent?
A runningback or Guard?

Give me Romeus and Herzlich and I'll be a happy boy

My draft:

138. Greg Romeus, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh. Was a 1st round pick coming into 2010. Will fix the pass rush.
159. BPA among Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee; Jordan Cameron, TE, USC; Rob Housler, TE, Florida Atlantic; Greg Salas,WR, Hawaii; Edmund Gates, WR, Abilene Christian;
193. Chris Neild, NT, West Virgina. True NT backup for Wilfork, may allow Vince to play more DE.
219. DeMarcus Love, OL, Arkansas. Was a 1st/2nd round pick 6 months ago. Has some technical issues, but Scar can fix those. Could be a solid OG.

Obviously, those guts won't get picked.

Provided he was vetted with the appropriate results....gatesgatesgatesgatesgatesgatesgates
That is all.

Today I think you will see the Pats take interior OL - Like a decent pulling guard / trap blocker and I believe you will see them take a smash mouth fullback for blocking and a few carries. They clearly want to open up the ground game to hopfully set up the pass, instead of visa-versa.

Back