2012 NFL Draft Trade Discussion

The Gr8est

"It's time to shut up, Fat Boy!"
Reaction score
With the Rams coming out and saying that they will definitely trade the #2 pick, I thought this needed it's own thread. It can also be a place to discuss any other trades and rumors as things get closer to draft day.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/st...ms-decide-trade-no-2-overall-pick-sources-say

"The St. Louis Rams have decided to trade the No. 2 pick, league sources said Monday.

According to sources, the Rams already have had trade discussions with the Cleveland Browns (No. 4), Washington Redskins (No. 6) and Miami Dolphins (No. 8), each of whom is scheduled to pick in the top eight in April's draft.

The Rams, who already have quarterback and 2010 top pick Sam Bradford, also have discussed a potential trade with teams outside the top 10, according to a source, but it will be challenging for one to surrender enough compensation to vault to the second overall pick.

The Rams are seeking a deal similar to what the San Diego Chargers got for the rights to 2004 top overall pick Eli Manning, sources said Monday.

Manning was selected by the Chargers with the No. 1 overall pick in 2004 and traded to the New York Giants for two first-round picks, a third-round pick and a fifth-round choice."

This will really shake things up, and I've got to wonder what the Colts think about all of this.

What could they get for the #1 pick if they decided to trade it and keep Manning?

Maybe they could get Ryan Mallett from the Pats for #33.

This year's draft is a great scenario for that type of trade, as it's very deep in many positions. Guess we'll see if it's an attractive/viable option for the Colts.

Are we better off in the division with Miami getting RGIII yet surrendering the plethora of picks required to consumate the deal?

BB has generally done pretty well with the scrambling type QB's.

This year's draft is a great scenario for that type of trade, as it's very deep in many positions. Guess we'll see if it's an attractive/viable option for the Colts.
It certainly is, but if we determine that Luck is who everyone seems to think he is, I don't see how you can not draft him.

With the Rams coming out and saying that they will definitely trade the #2 pick, I thought this needed it's own thread. It can also be a place to discuss any other trades and rumors as things get closer to draft day.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/st...ms-decide-trade-no-2-overall-pick-sources-say

"The St. Louis Rams have decided to trade the No. 2 pick, league sources said Monday.

According to sources, the Rams already have had trade discussions with the Cleveland Browns (No. 4), Washington Redskins (No. 6) and Miami Dolphins (No. 8), each of whom is scheduled to pick in the top eight in April's draft.

The Rams, who already have quarterback and 2010 top pick Sam Bradford, also have discussed a potential trade with teams outside the top 10, according to a source, but it will be challenging for one to surrender enough compensation to vault to the second overall pick.

The Rams are seeking a deal similar to what the San Diego Chargers got for the rights to 2004 top overall pick Eli Manning, sources said Monday.

Manning was selected by the Chargers with the No. 1 overall pick in 2004 and traded to the New York Giants for two first-round picks, a third-round pick and a fifth-round choice."

This will really shake things up, and I've got to wonder what the Colts think about all of this.

What could they get for the #1 pick if they decided to trade it and keep Manning?

Maybe they could get Ryan Mallett from the Pats for #33.

So the colts would trade us the 33rd pick for a Qb we took in the 3rd round a year ago? Ummm.....:huh:

So the colts would trade us the 33rd pick for a Qb we took in the 3rd round a year ago? Ummm.....:huh:

Well that thought was based on the Colts trading away the #1 overall and getting a king's ransom. They would then need their QB of the future, and Mallett could be that guy.

Mallett has spent a year on the bench learning from Brady and the Pats organization, while keeping his nose clean and his mouth shut. That is all a positive.

He may have been an early-3rd rounder last year, but I suspect that if they could get a do-over, the Dolphins would have grabbed him in the 2nd instead of Daniel Thomas.

After Luck and RGIII, are there any better QBs in the 2012 draft than Mallett?

I feel Cleveland is a possible landing spot for Mallett. I can see Peyton going to Miami. Flynn to Seattle. Washington trading up for RG3. Cleveland can use all of their picks this year for some playmakers. We trade them Mallett for a 2013 pick. Base it on starts. A 2nd rounder. Moves to a first if he starts 8 games.

Are we better off in the division with Miami getting RGIII yet surrendering the plethora of picks required to consumate the deal?

BB has generally done pretty well with the scrambling type QB's.

I think Miami will try to make a run at Manning or Matt Flynn. Flynn makes sense in Miami because of Joe Philbin. We all know Manning is done in Indy & the Colts are going with Luck. Hell, I thnk you called that back in October.

Lot of talk about the Browns moving up to get RGIII but the skins seem prepared to give up the farm for him. This year & next.

Browns have two#1's but not sure Holmgren is going to get into a bidding war with Washington.

It's obvious the Browns are done with McCoy so they can bring in a FA or sit tight & draft Ryan Tannehill.

It certainly is, but if we determine that Luck is who everyone seems to think he is, I don't see how you can not draft him.

Only to watch him get pasted because of a crappy o-line?

I think Miami will try to make a run at Manning or Matt Flynn. Flynn makes sense in Miami because of Joe Philbin. We all know Manning is done in Indy & the Colts are going with Luck. Hell, I thnk you called that back in October.

Lot of talk about the Browns moving up to get RGIII but the skins seem prepared to give up the farm for him. This year & next.

Browns have two#1's but not sure Holmgren is going to get into a bidding war with Washington.

It's obvious the Browns are done with McCoy so they can bring in a FA or sit tight & draft Ryan Tannehill.

You seem to have a VERY good grasp of the likely outcome.

My guess?

Flynn to Miami. Less dough than Peyton.

Washington can't help themselves with regards to RGIII.

Browns just might even move down a pick or 10 at that point and either grab Tannehill or ....gulp.... Peyton.

At this point I honestly don't have a clue where Peyton ends up.:shrug:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/24/offensive-line-still-the-foundation/

If you think you have a great quarterback and receivers who aren’t just running set routes, you can get by with a bad offensive line, but if you fall even slightly short of that, you had better invest in the trenches. Trying to follow the path of the Giants, Cardinals, and the Colts by basing everything around an elite signal-caller is a blueprint for failure; quarterbacks of their caliber in the face of pressure aren’t rolling off of a production line. There is also the small matter of what happens if that man gets injured (as the Colts found out quite painfully in 2011).
For the greatest success from a passing game that can lead you to the pinnacle of the NFL, you need to have a quarterback, but he doesn’t do it alone. A few special players can prevail despite the performance of the blockers in front of them, but the rest of the league needs help in the shape of the five guys on the offensive line, and the best combination of the two is likely to provide the most reliable success.

If you paid attention to my posts last season, you'd know I'm not saying our offensive line doesn't need some work. It does.

Just that it's not so bad that we're going to David Carr our rookie QB.

Well that thought was based on the Colts trading away the #1 overall and getting a king's ransom. They would then need their QB of the future, and Mallett could be that guy.

Mallett has spent a year on the bench learning from Brady and the Pats organization, while keeping his nose clean and his mouth shut. That is all a positive.

He may have been an early-3rd rounder last year, but I suspect that if they could get a do-over, the Dolphins would have grabbed him in the 2nd instead of Daniel Thomas.

After Luck and RGIII, are there any better QBs in the 2012 draft than Mallett?

Yeah but nobody knows how good Mallett is, I mean its not as though he was putting pressure on Hoyer for the number 2 spot or anything. I understand that this is the same with any drafted QB, but the fact remains we got Mallett for a 3rd rounder and I am not sure the colts would see any value to go to a high number 2 just because he say on the bench for a year and showed nothing.

Peter King reported this am that Peyton and Reggie Wayne want to go in a package deal with Miami or Wash. as the most likely landing spots.

That could be fun for a few years. popcorn

If you paid attention to my posts last season, you'd know I'm not saying our offensive line doesn't need some work. It does.

Just that it's not so bad that we're going to David Carr our rookie QB.

I'm sure I read your posts last season, I just don't have instant recall. :)

Trading Luck may be the best and smartest option for the Colts, since they have a real need to upgrade so many positions.

Peter King reported this am that Peyton and Reggie Wayne want to go in a package deal with Miami as the most likely landing spot.

That could be fun for a few years. popcorn

Why doesn't miami just take a Qb in the first round. They have not done this since Marino. I just do not get it. They have the weirdest drafts ever. I remember them taking a corner when they were the best in the league when Madison played, then they take a special teams returner in Ginn, why do they keep going after old QB's for a year or two to try and do something. Build the freaking team. You are not good enough to just add Manning and win superbowls. Build your freaking team. Draft a QB in the first round for God sakes.

I'm sure I read your posts last season, I just don't have instant recall. :)

Trading Luck may be the best and smartest option for the Colts, since they have a real need to upgrade so many positions.

I think if you can draft a franchise QB, you do it, it has to start there. I do not care what you draft to build if you have shit at QB, you are not doing much.

Back