2020 Draft

I’m just going to take a guess and think that this draft being reported to have such a deep depth of WR’s that BB and co believe that they’ll get the Same WR’s in UDFA as they would have in the later rounds and just decided to do that and invest in the guys they had to have or at least the closest they could get.

Or not idk

Deepest WR draft in 3 or four years, big time need at the position, and Bill brings in...... drumroll........ Marquis Lee?!?!? Good thing we got a guy at the end of the second who never played more than 50 percent of the teams snaps, and has problems with stress fractures and MCL tears.

And no Harry is not ready to be the man. Come on guys the WRs on this team are average at best. There is no way stidham gets the production out of Eddleman Tom did. I’m pretty excited about stidham, but he’s gonna be throwing to 5 possession guys. I like Meyers as an undrafted guy, but the hype for him on this board is unreal. He isn’t that great. Yeah he’s a great pickup for an drafted free agent, but come on. He’s a third option on a good day. Stidham has an arm, get him some speed!

It seems to me like the Pats are looking to play with 2/3 WR and 1/2 TE sets and play controlled, pragmatic football on offense. If Stidham shows flashes of greatness then maybe they'll let him rip it more, but I see this a predominately running/conservative passing team now especially with the picks.

Also, I think Harry will have a good year. He looked like he was just plugged in to make plays without many routes to run. And guess what? Despite being barely featured he made key plays in several games. Considering he came off IR and had basically half a season as a rookie, I think he did pretty good. Also he showed he's a good run blocker, so I like him already.

I think chevss posted before how he looks similar to Michael Thomas. If he can be utilized in a similar manner and has even half the production he's gonna be a monster.

Jakobi Meyers is the next Calvin Johnson. We're all good. :cheers:

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My favorite is when people say Meyers and Stidham have chemistry because they had some catches in the second half of preseason games. lol. Has it been so long since we saw a superstar receiver that we forgot what they look like?

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Pats finally got A QB J’Mar Smith, Louisiana Tech.

Order Rings

My favorite is when people say Meyers and Stidham have chemistry because they had some catches in the second half of preseason games. lol. Has it been so long since we saw a superstar receiver that we forgot what they look like?

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Order Rings

I was in Home Depot and a guy saw my Pats hoodie. Said he couldn’t cover Jacobi.

Thank god we didn’t draft anyone.

To be fair, I like Jakobi as a complimentary piece. WR4 seems like his sweet spot. Maybe he progresses beyond that, but you never know.

I was in Home Depot and a guy saw my Pats hoodie. Said he couldn’t cover Jacobi.

Thank god we didn’t draft anyone.

Was this guy a pro corner? lol

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

To be fair, I like Jakobi as a complimentary piece. WR4 seems like his sweet spot. Maybe he progresses beyond that, but you never know.

There is zero wrong with him. He did way more in this offense last year than most rookies do, but Im not sure he is going to be the second coming just yet cause he caught some passes with Stidham, I will wait before we come up with catchy nicknames for the duo just yet.

We are not running the Brady offense this year. Get used to the idea. Ball control, work your way down the field. Kill the clock all game. I still believe we will see a smash mouth running offense, working in PA and a few shots downfield as the game goes on. There will probably be some early rough patches. We will not average 30 points a game.

In other words, more like 2001.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

There is zero wrong with him. He did way more in this offense last year than most rookies do, but Im not sure he is going to be the second coming just yet cause he caught some passes with Stidham, I will wait before we come up with catchy nicknames for the duo just yet.
Your not going to find many people . That disagree with being frustrated. BB didn’t address the big weakness at WR. The only additions being a rarely used speedster & a injury prone WR. This was a very deep WR draft . He choose to completely ignore it on day 3 . To add more O-line & ST help.

Yeah. He was at the corner of electrical and plumbing.

Nah, this is not going to be a good year. And I'm okay with that. Maybe next year we get a good QB in the draft and we can start picking things up again

Stidham could still be a good QB, we wont know until he plays which is just like any rookie you bring in that you drafted.

BB must believe in him...good enough for me.

Well he believes in his based on the choices he has. You have to see what he can do. I am sure at some point he believed in Jordan Richards too. But with that said, you really misunderstood my post. I was saying that there is no difference in not knowing what your young Qb you drafted is just like a QB you would have drafted this year. Which was my reason for them not taking a QB.

BB must believe in him...good enough for me.

From BB himself
On QBs

According to what several professional evaluators have told The Athletic’s Jeff Howe, Jarrett Stidham is better than Love, “and it’s not even close”. That’s apparently how the Patriots feel as well. Add that to fact that Brian Hoyer is back in New England in a system he already knows, and you see why Belichick and Nick Caserio didn’t feel compelled to draft a quarterback for the sake of drafting a quarterback.
“I like both those players,” Belichick said of Stidham and Hoyer. “We’ve had Brian a couple times. I think he certainly gives us a very solid level of play. We have a lot of confidence in him. And Jarrett had a good year last year. He improved a lot. We’ll see where that takes him. Yeah, I have confidence in both players.
“We could talk about that for a long time. But the bottom line is that we’re evaluating that position along with all the other ones,” Belichick said Saturday. “If we feel like we find the right situation, we’ll certainly draft them. We’ve drafted them in multiple years, multiple points in the draft. Didn’t work out last three days. That wasn’t by design. It could have, but it didn’t. Again, there are multiple ways to build your team. We’ll see whether or not we get word of another that comes up at a different point in time. I don’t know. We just tried to do the best we could with what we had this weekend. That’s what we did. We’ll see where it goes.”
The Patriots did reportedly sign quarterback J’Mar Smith out of Louisiana Tech in the rookie free agent period that opened immediately after the draft closed Saturday afternoon.

Drafting a QB "didn’t work out last three days. That wasn’t by design. It could have, but it didn’t." The bottom line to me is that BB likes what he's seen from Stidham and expects him to continue to develop. If his development pace slows or when Stidham reaches his ceiling, if that's not high enough, then BB will spend capital to go after another guy. For now, BB is happy with Stidham's development.

On WRs

“We’ll see how all that goes. I’m sure all our young players will improve in year two,” Belichick told me Saturday night. “(We) got a first-round pick on N’Keal last year, (used a 2020) second round pick on Sanu. That was really off this draft. Obviously, (we) have Julian and a number of other young players. I think that will be a very good group. There’s a lot of different ways and times to build your team. The draft is one of them. As I mentioned, whether it’s Sanu or free agents signing like Byrd, whatever the case might be, there’s multiple ways to build your roster, and this is one of them.”

BB alluded to Sanu's lost year in 2019 when he played with an ankle injury most of the year. "...that's really off this year". Iow, BB is expecting better things from Sanu this year and he's also expecting a big jump from all the rooks last year going into year 2. Harry, Olszewski, Meyers and Adeboyejo have been given their offseason assignments; grading starts in TC on a curve to begin but quickly becomes pass-fail as other options become available at cutdowns.

I’m excited about stidham but I don’t expect any QB to do well in this offense. Even if Harry improves it’s like 5 WRs who do the same thing. Why would defenses have to play the deep ball? The Oline can’t handle an injury this year. No letting BB off the hook saying you can’t predict injuries again. He took those two guys late, but I was really hoping for someone higher. Quality depth should have been added in this draft. He sounds defensive about the WR situation in that quote. He should be. It’s one of the worst groups in the league. Probably bottom 5.

Back