Status
Not open for further replies.
After 14 games:
2001 Patriots: 9-5
2021 Patriots: 9-5

Tom Brady game average through 14 games: 18/28, 195 yards, 1.2 TD, .76 INT
Mac Jones game average through 14 games: 21/30, 226 yards, 1.3 TD, .71 INT
Not sure that this thread is going to age well ...

Brady was actually 9-3 on his way to 14-3 in 2001 (first 2 losses were Bledsoe).
Comparing stats from 20 years ago to today actually hurts Jones as Brady made the pro bowl in 2001 while Jones is middle of the pack in all major passing stats except for completion percentage.
Also Brady never had a game where Bill only let him throw the ball 3 times ...

Brady was actually 9-3 on his way to 14-3 in 2001 (first 2 losses were Bledsoe).
Comparing stats from 20 years ago to today actually hurts Jones as Brady made the pro bowl in 2001 while Jones is middle of the pack in all major passing stats except for completion percentage.
🤦‍♂️
So compare Brady to his contemporaries.

Mac is first in completion percentage. Brady was 4th.
Mac was "middle of the pack in all [other] major passing stats"? I notice you compared this (randomly) to a pro-bowl bid for Brady. I wonder why? Oh...because - even ignoring the accumulation stats since he missed 2 games - the same is true for Brady:
YPG: not in the top 20.
TD%: 12th
INT%: 13th
YPA: 15th
YPC: not in top 20

People can say that Mac's first year as a starter compares favorably to Tom's without necessarily believing or even implying that this is an indicator that Mac will have a better career or be a better QB than Brady. He's still TFB.

🤦‍♂️
So compare Brady to his contemporaries.

Mac is first in completion percentage. Brady was 4th.
Mac was "middle of the pack in all [other] major passing stats"? I notice you compared this (randomly) to a pro-bowl bid for Brady. I wonder why? Oh...because - even ignoring the accumulation stats since he missed 2 games - the same is true for Brady:
YPG: not in the top 20.
TD%: 12th
INT%: 13th
YPA: 15th
YPC: not in top 20

People can say that Mac's first year as a starter compares favorably to Tom's without necessarily believing or even implying that this is an indicator that Mac will have a better career or be a better QB than Brady. He's still TFB.

She has a psychosis.

And it's still comparing a 2nd year player to a rookie day 1 starter
A second year player who was a 6th round pick who was supposed to hold a clip board his entire career not beat out first overall pick, in prime Drew Bledsoe. Jones was pick 15 overall and the most NFL ready QB in the draft competing against washed Cam Newton. Not to mention the changes in the league that allow rookies to not only play but have success out of the gate because so much of the college concepts are now incorporated into NFL offenses. Let's not pretend that Jones is playing in a league anywhere close to what Brady played in. There is a reason Brady made the pro bowl in 2001 with his stats and Jones isn't even a thought with similar stats in 2021.

Last edited:
A second year player who was a 6th round pick who was supposed to hold a clip board his entire career not beat out first overall pick, in prime Drew Bledsoe. Jones was pick 15 overall and the most NFL ready QB in the draft competing against washed Cam Newton. Not to mention the changes in the league that allow rookies to not only play but have success out of the gate because so much of the college concepts are now incorporated into NFL offenses. Let's not pretend that Jones is playing in a league anywhere close to what Brady played in. There is a reason Brady made the pro bowl in 2001 with his stats and Jones isn't even a thought with similar stats in 2021.
Well over 100 words that do nothing to change the fact that Brady sat behind 3 consummate pros for a year while he learned the game, and Jones was a day 1 starter.

Well over 100 words that do nothing to change the fact that Brady sat behind 3 consummate pros for a year while he learned the game, and Jones was a day 1 starter.
Sure they mean nothing if you want to strip out all context 20 years later. Because that's the only way your statement isn't absolutely ridiculous. Lol

Sure they mean nothing if you want to strip out all context 20 years later. Because that's the only way your statement isn't absolutely ridiculous. Lol
There's no context, it's an irrefutable fact.

Mac Jones started day 1, Tom Brady's first start was the 3rd game of his 2nd year. Having had an entire year to sit behind 3 QBs with a decade+ career in the NFL, two of them with substantial starting experience.

There's no context, it's an irrefutable fact.

Mac Jones started day 1, Tom Brady's first start was the 3rd game of his 2nd year. Having had an entire year to sit behind 3 QBs with a decade+ career in the NFL, two of them with substantial starting experience.
Sure. But they are not equivalent in any way shape or form. Brady made the pro bowl that year with very similar stats to Jones. That's how much the league has changed in 20 years. And of course Brady also won the super bowl and the super bowl MVP with a roster that didn't have 165 million dollars plugged into it.

Sure. But they are not equivalent in any way shape or form. Brady made the pro bowl that year with very similar stats to Jones. That's how much the league has changed in 20 years. And of course Brady also won the super bowl and the super bowl MVP with a roster that didn't have 165 million dollars plugged into it.
Gonna agree to disagree, I guess. Brady was middle of the road statistically FOR HIS TIME, as I showed above. Why the Pro-bowl, then? A little because Brady and the Pats were, at the time, a nice story.

But mostly, because that was a really bad period for AFC QBs. Especially compared to today. It was Manning, then...Rich Gannon. Other than that...? The top AFC passers by yardage were:
Manning
Gannon
Trent Green
Doug Flutie
Steve McNair
Jay Feidler
Jon Kitna

Jay Feidler and Jon Kitna were top 7! Flutie was #4 in passing yardage!

Do I even need to list the murderers' row currently in the AFC?

Gonna agree to disagree, I guess. Brady was middle of the road statistically FOR HIS TIME, as I showed above. Why the Pro-bowl, then? A little because Brady and the Pats were, at the time, a nice story.

But mostly, because that was a really bad period for AFC QBs. Especially compared to today. It was Manning, then...Rich Gannon. Other than that...? The top AFC passers by yardage were:
Manning
Gannon
Trent Green
Doug Flutie
Steve McNair
Jay Feidler
Jon Kitna

Jay Feidler and Jon Kitna were top 7! Flutie was #4 in passing yardage!

Do I even need to list the murderers' row currently in the AFC?
A nice story, really?
He came on to a team that was 5 -13 with a coach that was on the hot seat. He went 14 - 3 winning his final 6 regular season games to secure the number two seed and then right through to the super bowl where he was MVP.

I'm pretty sure we all agree that 2001 was one of the most magical football seasons of all time with a roster that was ranked the worst in super bowl history to win a championship precisely because Brady was a 6th round pick leading the charge.

Last edited:
A nice story, really?
He came on to a team that was 5 -13 with a coach that was on the hot seat. He went 14 - 3 winning his final 6 regular season games to secure the number two seed and then right through to the super bowl where he was MVP.

I'm pretty sure we all agree that 2001 was one of the most magical football seasons of all time with a roster that was ranked the worst in super bowl history to win a championship precisely because Brady was a 6th round pick leading the charge.
No, I mean exactly what I said. When he made the probowl, he was a nice story. He wasn't a Superbowl MVP. I'm not even certain he was a playoff qualifier at that point. If we assume that this year is on a similar schedule, at that point he would have been maybe 8-3 or 9-3, and riding a whopping 3 or 4 game win streak, the best of the year.

And THAT is when we found the results.. People had been voting for him for many weeks at that point. He hadn't even won the job outright when a lot of people were voting for him, because it would be before Drew was ready to come back.

So, no, you're wrong. All those things you said had literally nothing to do with him making the pro bowl. He was a nice story who looked brainy and stable taking over a middling, generally unimportant franchise.

No, I mean exactly what I said. When he made the probowl, he was a nice story. He wasn't a Superbowl MVP. I'm not even certain he was a playoff qualifier at that point. If we assume that this year is on a similar schedule, at that point he would have been maybe 8-3 or 9-3, and riding a whopping 3 or 4 game win streak, the best of the year.

And THAT is when we found the results.. People had been voting for him for many weeks at that point. He hadn't even won the job outright when a lot of people were voting for him, because it would be before Drew was ready to come back.

So, no, you're wrong. All those things you said had literally nothing to do with him making the pro bowl. He was a nice story who looked brainy and stable taking over a middling, generally unimportant franchise.
We disagree. Have a Merry Christmas!!

It's like you were waiting for Pats to lose again to break out your tunnel vision Brady love back.

I admire your patience I guess.

It's like you were waiting for Pats to lose again to break out your tunnel vision Brady love back.

I admire your patience I guess.
I'm not really back. I have been posting periodically on the Brady forum this whole time but I'm sure you probably don't visit there often. I just had some time this week to read the main forum and post a bit to a couple of threads which have him as a side focus like this one.

Bump. This thread is not aging well. Bill is now 3-5 at home this year. First time he has had a losing record at home since 2000/pre-Brady.

Bump. This thread is not aging well. Bill is now 3-5 at home this year. First time he has had a losing record at home since 2000/pre-Brady.

Why do you come here? You are disliked (I'm being nice) by everyone except Midgar and that only makes it worse.

Seriously, I don't want to be mean. Y, but you force it. You aren't wanted.

Here is a little help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back