2022 Rookie Camp, OTAs, Mini Camp, Mandatory Mini Camp And Training Camp

From Mike Reiss today. Pierre Strong's college coach is all in on Strong to succeed quickly.

1. Strong option: In a perfect Patriots world, veteran James White will recapture the form that made him the NFL's most productive pass-catching running back before sustaining a serious right hip injury last September. From 2015 to 2020, no running back in the NFL had more receptions (364), receiving yards (3,161) and receiving touchdowns (25).

But White has opened 2022 training camp on the physically unable to perform list, which initially has the Patriots considering other options.

Pierre Strong Jr., the 2022 fourth-round pick from South Dakota State who posted the fastest 40-yard dash time among running backs at the NFL combine (4.37) this year, is one of them.

In an interview with ESPN.com, South Dakota State coach John Stiegelmeier described a player who appears to be an ideal fit for the role.

As a pass-catcher: "He's phenomenal. That's his greatest strength. He has unbelievable hands -- very soft. We would like to isolate him on a linebacker and say 'advantage Pierre.'"

Blitz pickup: "We never worried about him. I think he showed that in the [Shrine] Bowl game, where he blocked FBS All-Stars and stood in there. We work it; it's not something we take for granted. We go full speed with a linebacker coming right at you [and] you can't cut him. So Pierre's courage and ability is right where it needs to be."

Speedy rookie Pierre Strong Jr. could fill in for the injured James White in the third-down running back role. AP Photo/Michael Dwyer
In 48 career games with the Jackrabbits, who play in the Football Championship Subdivision, Strong Jr. totaled 62 receptions for 581 yards and three touchdowns.

He might have had increased production if he wasn't as successful as a pure runner, where his speed and running style in a zone-based scheme helped him amass 4,669 yards on 631 carries (7.2 avg.) and 40 touchdowns.

"His ability to get his legs up in the air is unique, so you're really trying to tackle one leg if you get to him," Stiegelmeier said. "He was not a stop-and-try-to-juke-a-guy [runner]. He would do it full speed, in the open field, and to break down and tackle when he's going full speed is really tough."

When Stiegelmeier (entering his 26th year) reflected on five seasons of coaching Strong, he said the way it started spoke volumes -- a redshirt freshman in 2017, and then deep on the depth chart to begin 2018.

"He kept working hard, we had some injuries, and then the last half of the [2018] season he ended up being our leading rusher," he said.

"His humility, his ability to be a team player and do what is asked of him and not want more, but prepare for more -- that's not a common trait nowadays. Young men, student-athletes, want it and think they should be getting it. Pierre was patient, humble, and when he got his chance exploded."

The Patriots have traditionally been patient with rookie passing backs. White hardly played in 2014 after New England selected him in the fourth round, and Shane Vereen played sparingly in 2011 after being tabbed in the second round.

That gave them time to adjust to the demands of blitz pickup -- often cited as the No. 1 responsibility to earn the confidence of the coaching staff -- and the NFL as a whole.

In 2022, the Patriots have Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson as their top traditional running backs, with Stevenson saying one of his offseason goals was to become more of a factor in the passing game. Thick-legged rookie Kevin Harris (sixth round, South Carolina) adds depth behind them.

Then, in the more traditional passing back role, there's White, Strong, third-year player J.J. Taylor, and eight-year veteran slash option Ty Montgomery, who was signed as a free agent in March.

"I've had a number of people who follow the Patriots say Pierre is a perfect fit for their philosophy in terms of using running backs," Stiegelmeier said.

Like Tim commented, that was exactly what you want to hear from a College Coach about a new Patriot.

I watched a bunch of clips of Strong after we drafted him and the main thing I took away was just how many huge holes Strong had at SD State. There were so many long runs and he was often
in the opponents backfield without being touched, so I couldn't get a feel for how he'll be breaking pro tackles. In addition, I expected he would look faster or more explosive, but he's got a different style or something. Not that I'm saying he looks slow by any means, but I thought he showed patience to let a hole develop and then takes off.

On paper, he's got everything, but he's got a big jump to make. I'm not expecting that he'll be a huge surprise and start making splash plays as a rookie, but you can see that
we have layers of depth at the 3rd down back position so we don't get stuck without a viable option when White went down with the hip. We've got a rookie, a 3rd-year guy and a
productive vet, but the best option is that White is somehow able to get back to where he was. I couldn't count how many times last season Mac was scanning the field on 3rd down and nobody was really open. He and a healthy James White would have been deadly.

I suppose it's possible that Strong is the best candidate to fill that role while White heals and he'll be productive right away, but I won't count on it.

More workouts means no stones unturned

New England had five offensive free agents in for a workout on Monday.

- Andrew Jamiel, WR (Stonehill)

- Terry Godwin, WR (Georgia)

- Derrick Dillon, WR (LSU) USFL TB Bandits standout

- Cinque Sweeting, WR (Slippery Rock) A good kick returner

- La'Michael Pettway, TE (Iowa State) An H-Back guy, 6'2", 225 played for the Michigan Panthers USFL team

Last edited:

- La'Michael Pettway, TE (Iowa State) An H-Back guy, 6'2", 225 played for the Michigan Panthers USFL team

I can't believe that a kid who played at Stonehill is getting a look by the Pats. As an aside, his last stop in football was playing for the
Glacier Boyz of the FCF (fan-controlled football) league, which I never heard of.

Good for McMillan. If watching a guy out of curiosity for a few snaps were a valid way of judging players chances to stick in Foxboro, then I'd say
that Raekwon should ring up the Glacier Boyz now and see if they need a linebacker.

It's been a while since I felt this level of panic over a position group like I currently do over our linebackers. I just don't see any feel-good scenarios
happening.

I mean, I used to be more optimistic in these sort of situations, but saying "Yeah, I really think that Reche Caldwell has a chance to be a pro-bowl WR" that
one time helped me reel it in a bit.

reche.jpg

As I recall from the draft 2 years ago, Terry Godwin was on my board. He was very fast and played at Georgia, who was loaded with WR talent. He was with the Jags last year but never played being on IR and they waived him after signing/drafting a host of WR's.

Speaking of the H back role, if the Pats plan to use it, I can't stop picturing Jonnu bumbling a tossed ball 7 yards behind the LOS. Jonnu has a lot athletic traits but having super hand coordination isn't one of them to my eyes.

And can't think of another player on the roster to play that role.

I can't believe that a kid who played at Stonehill is getting a look by the Pats. As an aside, his last stop in football was playing for the
Glacier Boyz of the FCF (fan-controlled football) league, which I never heard of.
I can believe it. D2 guys are fairly common in the NFL, including the Saints Deonte Harris from Assumption. Not loads of them, but not unheard of.

Good for McMillan. If watching a guy out of curiosity for a few snaps were a valid way of judging players chances to stick in Foxboro, then I'd say
that Raekwon should ring up the Glacier Boyz now and see if they need a linebacker.

It's been a while since I felt this level of panic over a position group like I currently do over our linebackers. I just don't see any feel-good scenarios
happening.

I mean, I used to be more optimistic in these sort of situations, but saying "Yeah, I really think that Reche Caldwell has a chance to be a pro-bowl WR" that
one time helped me reel it in a bit.

View attachment 11481
I don't want no Ricochet Caldwell

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuiQp93pWGE

My surprise sleeper for camp is DeMarcus Mitchell, bigger and stronger than Wino. And he hustles.

Guilty of being a freelancer, see if he can get that under control to earn a job.

My surprise sleeper for camp is DeMarcus Mitchell, bigger and stronger than Wino. And he hustles.

Guilty of being a freelancer, see if he can get that under control to earn a job.

He's not on my radar at all, so thanks for the tip. I'll take an interest in him now.

My surprise sleeper binkie is Guard Drew DesJarlais. I base that on watching clips of him from the CFL and I see a kid with good movement skills, very explosive out of his stance and unusual power, including heavy hands.

That's not a lot to go on, but when I watch a guy who is just getting started in pro ball just burying multiple big guys like crash test dummies it makes me think that, before long, he
can do the same thing to folks on our schedule and I'm really excited to see if he is as good as I think he might be. I'm going out on a limb for the Canadian Crusher.

Just got back from TC. Mac was the first person on the field by himself doing warm ups. He looked a lot slimmer to me. Ball looked good coming out of his hands. Hoyer looked good. The rookie QB looked pretty rough. Judon came out and had a football and was throwing into the fans and the fans were throwing it back. He went all around the stands and threw to each section. I really love that guy.
Taylor looked fast running the ball. The receivers were doing a good job but some drops. Only second day so to be expected.

You can tell this is Mac's team. Lots of energy from him. He was talking to his receivers and fist pumping good plays. I was very encouraged by the overall feel. This should be a really fun season of watching Mac develop. I am still not thrilled with the coaching but hopefully it is good enough and he can overcome any short comings.

They handed out the schedule on a small card. I was looking at the last 6 games and realize how brutal the schedule is. That being said there are some soft spots early on and in the middle. If the team has a better start than last year then I can see the playoffs as a potential. If there are hic-cups to start then I don't think the team makes it because the last month and a half is so brutal. Of course you never know how the season will shake out. Perhaps some of the teams the Pats play after T-giving will not be as good as we think now.

Just got back from TC. Mac was the first person on the field by himself doing warm ups. He looked a lot slimmer to me. Ball looked good coming out of his hands. Hoyer looked good. The rookie QB looked pretty rough. Judon came out and had a football and was throwing into the fans and the fans were throwing it back. He went all around the stands and threw to each section. I really love that guy.
Taylor looked fast running the ball. The receivers were doing a good job but some drops. Only second day so to be expected.

You can tell this is Mac's team. Lots of energy from him. He was talking to his receivers and fist pumping good plays. I was very encouraged by the overall feel. This should be a really fun season of watching Mac develop. I am still not thrilled with the coaching but hopefully it is good enough and he can overcome any short comings.

They handed out the schedule on a small card. I was looking at the last 6 games and realize how brutal the schedule is. That being said there are some soft spots early on and in the middle. If the team has a better start than last year then I can see the playoffs as a potential. If there are hic-cups to start then I don't think the team makes it because the last month and a half is so brutal. Of course you never know how the season will shake out. Perhaps some of the teams the Pats play after T-giving will not be as good as we think now.

Thank you for this Mazz. ✌️

Back