2024 Draft discussion ONLY-please.

Elijah Jones CB of BC is listed by Athlon as a 3rd day steal. CB is not biggest need but a 4th or 5th round pick would be wise as depth, the way DB' s seem to get injured.
Besides we just got rid of one Jones, so we need a replacement Jones.
Any BC fans want to shed some light on him.

Elijah Jones CB of BC is listed by Athlon as a 3rd day steal. CB is not biggest need but a 4th or 5th round pick would be wise as depth, the way DB' s seem to get injured.
Besides we just got rid of one Jones, so we need a replacement Jones.
Any BC fans want to shed some light on him.
We are desperately in need of SEVERAL Jones. They are disappearing rapidly :coffee:

Elijah Jones:
Height: 6’1.5”
Weight: 185 pounds
Arm Length: 31 1/2"
Hand Size: 9 1/4"

Athlon says he is long and lean, tough but not especially strong. Adequate but not quick or super fast, so definitely sounds like a Day 3 project which is what dy 3 is all about, right?

Walter football says he is an outside defender.

I'd still in favor of a QB @ 3. I understand that the failure rate of 1st round QBs is bad, typically only1 or 2 franchise QBs in the 4-5 taken, but I don't see that as a reason not to wait until out 1st round pick is back in the 20's. The failure rate there is still bad. I mean, maybe the pain is less if the first round pick wasn't in the top 5, but the result is the same: no franchise QB.

Overall, I think there is a better chance at getting a very good OT with our pick #2 and a very good chance at getting a very good WR with our pick #3.
I understand your concerns, but I think that they have to fall back on the averages. We know that historically 1st round QBS fail about 50% of the time, however 2nd round QBs fail 70% of the time. After that it gets ridiculous with later rounds failure rates at 90-95%. 11 of the 14 staring QBs in last year playoffs were picked in the 1st round with that number being fairly consistent for the last 30 years. That number proves that despite the failure rate, the odds of finding a franchise QB are still overwhelming better in the first round and if you dig deeper increase with the higher picks in the 1st round. Given the importance othe the position to a teams success, all this tells me is that the pick should be a QB.

Just seems to be a situation for a trade down from #3.
When Mayo was talking about a high value pick at #3 it was based on advice from the existing scouting staff , Eliot and Groh. But with the addition of Van Pelt and McAdoo are those QB ratings staying the same?
I can easily see a trade down for Nix or similar player along with the draft pick for a needed position.

Just seems to be a situation for a trade down from #3.
When Mayo was talking about a high value pick at #3 it was based on advice from the existing scouting staff , Eliot and Groh. But with the addition of Van Pelt and McAdoo are those QB ratings staying the same?
I can easily see a trade down for Nix or similar player along with the draft pick for a needed position.
It won't take many spots to get another we 2nd round pick
At worse we can still get a get good QB, WR, or LT with the 5th or 6th pick.

I'd still in favor of a QB @ 3. I understand that the failure rate of 1st round QBs is bad, typically only1 or 2 franchise QBs in the 4-5 taken, but I don't see that as a reason not to wait until out 1st round pick is back in the 20's. The failure rate there is still bad. I mean, maybe the pain is less if the first round pick wasn't in the top 5, but the result is the same: no franchise QB.

Overall, I think there is a better chance at getting a very good OT with our pick #2 and a very good chance at getting a very good WR with our pick #3.

If the team likes whatever QB happens to fall to them at 3, then they should take him. They should not pre decide that they are taking a QB no matter what at 3, terrible idea. Maybe they think Daniels was a great college QB, for one year, but has serious flaws as a NFL QB. Or maybe they like Daniels, but not Maye because they don't think they can fix is mechanical issues.

Don't take the guy you don't like just because you need a QB. Take MHJ, or trade down (stay within the top 8), get more picks and build the talent of the team.

It won't take many spots to get another we 2nd round pick
At worse we can still get a get good QB, WR, or LT with the 5th or 6th pick.

Stay in the top 8, 3 QBs (probably), 3 WRs, 2 LTs.....you'll get one of them. NYG at 6, get both their 2nds this year, and one more in '25. Anyone else it will be at '24 2nd, and at least a '25 1st, to start.

If the team likes whatever QB happens to fall to them at 3, then they should take him. They should not pre decide that they are taking a QB no matter what at 3, terrible idea. Maybe they think Daniels was a great college QB, for one year, but has serious flaws as a NFL QB. Or maybe they like Daniels, but not Maye because they don't think they can fix is mechanical issues.

Don't take the guy you don't like just because you need a QB. Take MHJ, or trade down (stay within the top 8), get more picks and build the talent of the team.
Certainly agree with that. They might like JJ a lot
and can get him with the 5th or 6th pick. He seems to be rising in most mocks.

Certainly agree with that. They might like JJ a lot
and can get him with the 5th or 6th pick. He seems to be rising in most mocks.

I have serious doubts that the NFL teams feel the same way as the mock draft guys.....I think he is being propped up by Harbaugh's comments, I think he is going to be one of those guys that get invited to the draft, and are still in the green room at the top of day 2.

I have serious doubts that the NFL teams feel the same way as the mock draft guys.....I think he is being propped up by Harbaugh's comments, I think he is going to be one of those guys that get invited to the draft, and are still in the green room at the top of day 2.
I mean, I've heard the Vikings have been in contact with the Cardinals for 4...so they can get McCarthy. They're really in love with him for some reason (Sorry, Dave).

Of course, why they're not calling the Patriots, and their best deal would be Jefferson and 9 for 3 - or why the Patriots aren't calling them, is beyond me. Any other trade up from the Vikings would require 2 first round picks plus.

I think they already have, or at least should by draft day pre-decide. There's only 3 different scenarios, they should know exactly if any of the 3 are their guy, outside of a ridiculous trade offer.

I would not draft JJ to be the starter in year 1. I just think that both him and Daniels have more of the "it" factor than either Williams or Maye.
I wouldn't take JJ at 3 though.

I wouldn't take JJ at all, that would be like drafting Mac Jones all over again. At best he's a game manager with limited physical ability and I've seen enough of that. I could care less about "it factor " whatever that is. Too many get caught up in the media bs that has guys rising and falling not because anything has changed with their bodies of work, but rather because the media needs new stories to fill air time. Cases in point, two months ago Drake Maye was widely said to be the unanimous 2nd best QB in the draft, Daniels was an intriguing fringe 1st rounder and Maccarthy wasn't even a thought before the mid rounds. What changed? Nothing, none have played a meaningful game in that time that could have changed perceptions so drastically. It's all media noise, and we hear these changing narratives and jump from one foot to the next, "Maye's a sure thing, no Daniels is, next Mccarthy is." Given enough time and enough stories I'm sure every draftable QB would get a turn at both wipping boy and savior. I just hope those in the know, the real know, are going to make the decision based on the evaluations they have put together and not the media driven flavor of the week.

Walter football says he is an outside defender.

That bodes well for our team since we don't pay in a dome.
I wouldn't take JJ at all, that would be like drafting Mac Jones all over again. At best he's a game manager with limited physical ability and I've seen enough of that. I could care less about "it factor " whatever that is. Too many get caught up in the media bs that has guys rising and falling not because anything has changed with their bodies of work, but rather because the media needs new stories to fill air time. Cases in point, two months ago Drake Maye was widely said to be the unanimous 2nd best QB in the draft, Daniels was an intriguing fringe 1st rounder and Maccarthy wasn't even a thought before the mid rounds. What changed? Nothing, none have played a meaningful game in that time that could have changed perceptions so drastically. It's all media noise, and we hear these changing narratives and jump from one foot to the next, "Maye's a sure thing, no Daniels is, next Mccarthy is." Given enough time and enough stories I'm sure every draftable QB would get a turn at both wipping boy and savior. I just hope those in the know, the real know, are going to make the decision based on the evaluations they have put together and not the media driven flavor of the week.

This why the draft is such a fun shitshow. There are long periods where nobody is playing any actual football games or doing really anything noteable that might
relate to actual football, but the media has them rising and falling like fresh blueberries floating in a 16oz. draft of fresh-brewed blueberry ale. Sea monkeys putting
on a show. That's one of my go-to brews, but I don't love that as much as I love seeing the future of NFL prospects do the exact same thing for no apparent reason.

I don't know how old you are, but the "it factor" has been used in coach speak long before so called media used it.
If you don't know what the "it factor" is after watching it for 20 years here, then you probably never will. My statement about JJ and Daniels was based on my own eyes, not media noise.

Jayden Daniels doesn’t have the frame to make it through a full season. I really hope they don’t draft him. It’d be like drafting the next Justin Fields.
Either way, one year isn’t enough time to fix all the problems offensively even if this offseason is perfect. I really hope Maye falls, they draft him, and he sits behind Brissett till December.
This time next year hopefully we have a qb who’s shown some promise and we draft a true stud WR. The Pats will probably be picking in the top ten again.

I don't know how old you are, but the "it factor" has been used in coach speak long before so called media used it.
If you don't know what the "it factor" is after watching it for 20 years here, then you probably never will. My statement about JJ and Daniels was based on my own eyes, not media noise.
Oh I've heard the term used by the media plenty because it gets people to read and listen to their next batch of stories. I can't think of an instance of a coach or professional evaluateator using it to describe their evaluation process. Nevertheless that wasn't really my point. I'll put it this way, what has Jj Mccarthy done in the last two months to all of a sudden have an "it factor ", that's propelled him from the mid rounds to now some projecting him into the top 10? Or, in contrast, what did a guy like Maye do in the last few months to go from a consensus top 5, to possibly fall out the top 10 all together? If I have to spell it out for you, nothing, they did nothing. It's all media bullshit to keeping people reading and doing their little mock drafts.

Last edited:
That bodes well for our team since we don't pay in a dome.

This why the draft is such a fun shitshow. There are long periods where nobody is playing any actual football games or doing really anything noteable that might
relate to actual football, but the media has them rising and falling like fresh blueberries floating in a 16oz. draft of fresh-brewed blueberry ale. Sea monkeys putting
on a show. That's one of my go-to brews, but I don't love that as much as I love seeing the future of NFL prospects do the exact same thing for no apparent reason.
It really is something, and I don’t think many understand that what Mel Kipper and the othe media heads do is not what real team scouts and evaluators do, or at least the good ones. It's pretty much stock watch, who's betting what stock goes up or down and they can force the narrative by how many stories they write not because they learned anything new about a prospect. They are selling an event and need to create stories to write, we can only hope that our GM is using sound evaluation tools to make the pick and not media noise. In the case of Maye, it reminds me alot of Justin Herbert, who went into the pre draft thought to be one of the top two prospects at QB and by the time draft day came he could apparently no longer read defenses, was not very mobile and would take years to develop if at all. Now I'm not going to pretend I know what Maye will be, but you have to be suspect of the drastic change in narrative.

Back